PDA

View Full Version : which gfx card?

blondeattk
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
looking to upgrade the card in this pc:

http://www.shuttle.eu/index.php?id=149&L=0

limiting factor is the 250watt psu.

which atmo I cant be arsed to change :)

whats the best bang4buck card i can get?

something in geforce 8000 range? or other similar...>?

Nothing special I know, but dont think eq will stress it out too much )

Gazer75
07-28-2014, 12:35 AM
Guessing any card that do not use extra power from psu will do. (No extra power connectors)
Looking at power draw I'd say best bet is one of the AMD R7 240 or 250 models. They draw only 45/75w max
AMD still recommend a 400w psu for them.

I would send Shuttle an email and ask.

evilkorn
07-28-2014, 12:57 AM
I know of two shuttles, mine and a friends, that had the PSU fail. My advice is to upgrade it right away with the 500w version if you play anything more graphic intensive than super mario bros.

Gazer75
07-28-2014, 01:08 AM
If you can get a PSU replacement that powerful then it opens up a lot of options for graphics card as well.

blondeattk
07-28-2014, 01:45 AM
I know of two shuttles, mine and a friends, that had the PSU fail. My advice is to upgrade it right away with the 500w version if you play anything more graphic intensive than super mario bros.

In the past I had looked into upgrading the PSU, and there is a problem. I live in the Uk and all the PSU are imported from usa I believe? Maybe am confusing shuttle and iDEQ ?

ANyway when i last chked ebay the 300watt psu were £70. I will look again, but imo this isnt good value for money.

Only other option I thought of , was to use a conventional square psu outside the case, sitting on the surface to the side of the shuttle case. FOr cosmetic purposes i was trying to avoid this ugly solution.

never saw a 500w shuttle psu, but ill try and search again. thanks)

blondeattk
07-28-2014, 02:08 AM
Guessing any card that do not use extra power from psu will do. (No extra power connectors)
Looking at power draw I'd say best bet is one of the AMD R7 240 or 250 models. They draw only 45/75w max
AMD still recommend a 400w psu for them.

I noticed that : Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 (1024 MB)

seems to be a power efficient card.

but it also recomends a 400w psu

obviously not as good as the one you suggested....am TRYING to upgrade the graphics without changing the psu. tbh I cant afford to upgrade both together.

I have a zotac GF 430 card, that could in theory work. However it has a double blankin plate and wont physically fit int he case. Has passive cooler which is huge and heavy....makes it difficult card to fix in place with single blanking plate.

http://www.acousticpc.com/zotact_geforce_gt430_sli_silent_fanless_video_card .html

Perhaps I should contact zotac and ask them?

(if i fit the zotac card inthe shuttle...will have to remove the dvd player:( )

nectarprime
07-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Look at the 750ti.

Gazer75
07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
I have a zotac GF 430 card, that could in theory work. However it has a double blankin plate and wont physically fit int he case. Has passive cooler which is huge and heavy....makes it difficult card to fix in place with single blanking plate.

From what I can tell the case have two expansion slot. One PCI-E and one PCI. As long as its the inner slot that is PCI-E it will fit just fine.

Edit:
Found a picture and it looks like its the outer slot that is PCI-E. So that card wont fit :(

blondeattk
07-30-2014, 02:31 AM
I decided to take a gamble on this card:

http://www.ascendtech.us/pegatron-geforce-gt220-1gb-video-card_i_vc1gbpegnfgt220.aspx

won the auction for £6.50 :)

a little over powered for the psu, but might risk it.

I assume there is no way to monitor a psu for stress with software....as its an analogue device not digital??

The psu on the shuttle is lovely, it snores like a mouse eg its whisper quiet...which I luv!

burdenday
07-31-2014, 07:56 PM
You're going to be fine with that card. It will never draw the full 300W it claims it needs.

Gazer75
08-01-2014, 05:40 AM
Thats not really what the recommended watts are for. Its for the entire system.
A graphics card without extra power connectors can never use more than 75w from a PCIe x16 slot.

Derubael
08-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Any graphics card made in the last few years will need more than 250.

Get yourself a 300 and one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

Or something similar. The nice thing about the gtx 750 is that it doesn't require two card slots or extra power, and has an extremely low power consumption while still providing excellent performance for a $150 card.

I'm in a similar situation and have just been too lazy and haven't needed to upgrade my power unit. As soon as I do I'm buying one of those (the built in HD 4400 on the i3 processor is surprisingly powerful - it won't run things at top specs, obviously, but it runs even the newest games at 30+ fps on medium settings).

blondeattk
08-01-2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

wont fit in the shuttle, only enough space for single width card.

Nor would i spend £90 on a gcard.

yeah will have to get the 300w psu eventually.....or as soon as this one blows up!