PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to adjust thunder volume

Vithus
07-23-2014, 03:08 PM
I found the great post on changing sound files (http://www.project1999.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12623.html), but I'm running into a problem. I like the thunder effects that are used in the game, and a cursory search hasn't resulted in any thunder sound that I prefer more than the defaults. But they're just so loud. I can lower my sound enough to no longer hear anything in the game, but thunder will still play clearly at a reasonable volume.

So far: I've extracted both thunder .wav files, copied each under a different name for back-up, lowered the volume in Audacity (-30 dB amplify), and then added back to the .s3d file - but the thunder stayed the same volume in-game as previously. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I verified by playing the back-up files during a rainstorm between in-game thunderclaps. I figured I might have made a mistake, but when I extract the files to a different location, the sound files I extract from the game folder are quieter than the original backups.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a solution to keep the same effect? I don't if there's a mechanic normalizing the volume in-game, and I'm failing to find anything of further use via Google. Off to continue listening through thunder samples in the meantime.

criddopher
07-29-2014, 09:51 AM
I can't help with the volume issue, But i changed my thunder to a sample i found on freesound.org. perhaps you'll find one you like there.