PDA

View Full Version : The Cure

easy_lee
07-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Why is Red broken? The Red server has a low population and a notoriously bad community full of griefers. When surveyed (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158212), forum posters overwhelmingly indicated “the community” as the reason for Red’s low population. Even adding an enormous experience bonus was not enough to get new players to stay on the server.

I invite you, dear reader, to think about Red from a new players’ perspective. It's easy if you try. Do so, and the reasons for the low population are easy to see. In order to get started, one must first create a new character and then gain levels on that character. A 50% bonus to solo experience helps, but people want to group. Groups are not only more efficient than solo, but they’re arguably the entire point of playing an MMO in the first place. So what happens on Red when a newbie tries to get a group?

Try it some time. Level a fresh, no gear, MR-less character to 12, preferably a melee for the full experience, and try to find a group for Crushbone. You’ll immediately run into two problems:

You’ll have trouble finding groups. Most of the population already has high-level characters. Just finding a group with three other on-level players will take all day (personally verified). For the most popular level 9-16 dungeon, this is strange.
When you do find a group (during peak population times), you’ll be beset by griefers. If you don’t have twink gear with plenty of MR, expect to be rooted and blasted immediately by a wizard, chased off by a monk, back-stabbed by a rogue, or get your head knocked in by an SK, probably while you’re in the middle of a fight.

And the higher you go, these problems only get worse. You’ll be spending more time in groups and more time being griefed. The griefers aren't competing with you for mobs. They don’t need your plat. They just want you to die. And, too often, they outnumber the people who just want to group. Try grouping in Unrest, or MM, or God help you, CoM, and see what happens.

These two problems have the same cause: the server has been around for far too long. Kunark lasted just over seven months during live. Then came Velious which lasted almost exactly one year. Here, Kunark alone has lasted several years. The endgame is full, with the hardest encounters currently in the game on farm-mode. Naturally, there’s a lot of pixel whoring going on. The same handful of people get all of the BIS gear on Red.

Pixel whoring - trying to get BIS (best in slot) gear while preventing anyone else from doing so.

So how does this cause the first problem? If the high-level players have high-level friends, and have access to unlimited high-end gear, then leveling a new alt to 50 will take no time at all. Just abuse your favorite power-leveling tactics, along with a fungi and 50+ weapon, and bingo. We’ve all seen this happen; most of the visitors in unpopular dungeons are power-leveling. "Stop whining noob, it's classic."

What about the second problem? Why would high-level players have reason to create twink alts and grief lowbies? Once again, the reasons are simple:

They have nothing better to do. There’s no competition for end-game gear and they already have several characters maxed.
By keeping other players from gaining levels, they prevent themselves from ever facing new competition.

The current environment makes perfect sense given the server’s history. The same thing happens with every MMO once its reached a certain age; it becomes extremely difficult for new players to enter the scene.

Pretend, for a moment, that you're completely new to red. Even if you manage to solo all the way to 60, mostly by playing during non-peak hours, what’s the point? You’re still not going to get any BIS gear because you aren’t one of the elite. If you do raid, the raids will be boring farm-sessions, and the good gear will go to someone else’s alt. Raid loot is distributed based on DKP (Nihilum uses DKP), and a new raider will never get enough DKP to compete with the veterans.

Red is supposed to be classic, but this is not classic. Kunark did not last this long. Live players never got the chance to create an impenetrable pecking order on the magnitude of what we see here.

You can’t put a bandaid on this problem. No number of LNS rules will protect new players from getting griefed out of the XP zones. No experience bonus, be it 300, 400, 500, or even 1000 percent will allow new players to get good gear. Can you imagine joining the Red server fresh and trying to make 10K plat on a new character, just to afford ONE piece of twink gear?

LONG STORY SHORT / TL;DR: The monopoly that has formed cannot be broken through new rules or boons for new players. The server is beyond saving and must be allowed to die. A total server wipe is the only thing that’s going to fix what’s happened to Red. It should have happened years ago, the second Kunark hit the seven month, twelve day mark. A total reset is the only way that anyone is going to experience what the game was actually like back in 1999.

And isn't reliving the past the whole point of Project 1999?

pgerman
07-21-2014, 08:13 PM
no

griefing people off the box until there is a total population of 20 again

meanwhile selling same people pixels to pay your electric bill

is the point of red 99

Sektor
07-21-2014, 08:13 PM
TLDR

Laugher
07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/evVEN3e.jpg

georgie
07-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Who is he?

Colgate
07-21-2014, 08:20 PM
did not read

Eslade
07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm not reading all of that. Summary?

rollin5k
07-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Good essay. I agree that some people don't like pvp and also this server could use a wipe(that temporary wipe would be cool)

But if you think your going to exp in crush bone after a fresh wipe you're higher than 90% of the folks that log in to this server everyday

Pitborn
07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Who art thou?

Greegon
07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
read whole post, tl;dr version:

WIPE IT CLEAN

easy_lee
07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm not reading all of that. Summary?

There's a summary at the end of the post.

Tassador
07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
read the whole thing i think this guy just split the atom going to live life based on this post

quido
07-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Most blue players form vocal opinions on red based entirely on the forums without ever actually trying the red server.

mtb tripper
07-21-2014, 09:00 PM
well here's your problem man, you can't think of the game as classic everquest becasue IT WILL NEVER BE CLASSIC

easy_lee
Most blue players form vocal opinions on red based entirely on the forums without ever actually trying the red server.

As evidenced by the spike in population, followed by rapid decline, they are also forming opinions based on actually playing.

Potus
It's incredibly easy to get groups here. It's never been easier. And you're going to die to people with better gear than you at 50, might as well get used to it at level 9-16.

Stupid post, please close.

Infectious
07-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Live was this same way at different points. Cant handle being pked? Dont play. Dont blame it on twinks when the object of the game is to kill people.
On a pvp server you actually have to think. So going to popular zones solo, isnt smart. Getting pked in unrest? Go to oasis/ uguk/ sk and so on.
Shit is dumb we go over this once a week. Training, name calling and corpse camping is dumb. But when dude kills you and lets you loot and scoot and you dont wana leave. Its your own fault.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-21-2014, 09:11 PM

This.

There are shit heads here for sure but this community pretty goog IMO

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-21-2014, 09:17 PM
As evidenced by the spike in population, followed by rapid decline, they are also forming opinions based on actually playing.

Server went to like 210 max. Currently at 206.

Not sure if Srs

Kergan
07-21-2014, 10:01 PM
The best way to improve the server is not wasting time posting/thinking about things that have 0% chance of happening, and instead focus your energy on possible changes that could.

Potus
07-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Live was this same way at different points. Cant handle being pked? Dont play. Dont blame it on twinks when the object of the game is to kill people.
On a pvp server you actually have to think. So going to popular zones solo, isnt smart. Getting pked in unrest? Go to oasis/ uguk/ sk and so on.
Shit is dumb we go over this once a week. Training, name calling and corpse camping is dumb. But when dude kills you and lets you loot and scoot and you dont wana leave. Its your own fault.

Yup, Crushbone isn't a great idea on a pvp server unless you're looking to fight people; it is fine if you're grouping with buddies and checking zone for twinks.

Want to exp and be left alone to duo/solo? Hit up Befallen, Kurns, Runnyeye, Blackburrow. You'll get the occasional iksar monk with a fungi and that just builds character.

Gaffin 7.0
07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
i saw a guy donate to a streamer $1,000 on twitch today, to think of all the fgts that buy and sell here to prob pay their bills, wipe aint gonna happen even though shit would thrive

Potus
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
i saw a guy donate to a streamer $1,000 on twitch today, to think of all the fgts that buy and sell here to prob pay their bills, wipe aint gonna happen even though shit would thrive

Instead of wipe I'd much rather see PvP Teams and eventual shutting down of Red.

GO GO GOOD GUYS.

Eslade
07-21-2014, 10:50 PM
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/The-Cure-circa-1985.jpg

Laugher
07-21-2014, 10:53 PM
lol^

tbh came to this thread thinking it was about the band given the way it was capitalized

mtb tripper
07-21-2014, 11:57 PM
i found a fatal flaw in the logic of love and go out of my head

Genedin
07-22-2014, 09:27 AM
The essay OP wrote is the exact explanation for why RMT runs rampant on this server.

It's funny he thinks he is uncovering some new information we all don't already know.

Etris
07-22-2014, 09:28 AM
"Hey newbies - Finding groups is easy on this server, in the popular dungeons where PKers park their twinks followed by a 60 druid buffing and spam healing. If you can't cut it loot and scoot to an underpopulated area to solo (WHICH DEFEATS MY WHOLE ARGUMENT ABOUT GROUPS BEING EASY TO FIND)."

If i wanted to solo and still recieve shit xp (+50%) I'd go to blue where there's..900 more players. Newbies come here for the pvp which isn't fair till 50+ and for the MASSIVE xp bonus which doesn't pertain to soloers camping out underpopulated areas.

The community blows on Red and it's not going to get better when the only contributing voice are faggot flamers and complete idiots.

...I'm still staying on Red because of the xp bonus...

Nirgon
07-22-2014, 09:30 AM
item

loot

this user was banned
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
This may sound stupid, but the reason it has a low population is because it doesn't have a high population. There's a critical mass required to make this game work, especially with PvP which tends to involve various guilds, anti-pk/policing guilds, actual competition, etc (aka a lack of a good community.) Without this, the server deteriorates into the sad state it is in now and remains stagnant by it's own devices.

mtb tripper
07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
item

loot