PDA

View Full Version : NPC Spawn Issue: Accurate Paineel Guard Spawn Timers

Emoqq
08-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Well, I honestly wasnt sure what the spawn timer on Paineel guards was supposed to be. I figured, why not do some research. This is what ive found.

Howdy, (husband here again)

Guard names, locations and spawn times

Guard Lecknar (1) is the left alcove off the elevator
Guard Korlack (2) is the right alcove off the elevator
Guard Tynaryn (3) is next to Spellbinder Tomas
Guard Kellolonren (4) is to the left side of the gate into SK guild
Guard Lelton (5) is to the right side of the gate
Guard Abbilash (6) is along the right side of the pond near the SK guild
Guard Rireboln (7) is next to the first teleporter
Guard Pendlein (8) is just inside the door to SK guild.
Guard Polzdurn (9) is just outside the bank
Guard Yerlash (10) is next to the second teleporter
Guard Duldoral (11) -probably- spawns (almost certain) outside the bank, and then wanders from the bank to outside the pub and back.

Guards 1, 2, 3, 9, and 11 are on 25 minute timers

Guards 4, 5, 6, and 7 are on 10 minute timers.

Guards 8 and 10 are on -6- minute timers. (all timers rounded to the closest full minute.)

[Note: if you are dragging a pet around you MUST Summon Companion RIGHT AFTER using the teleporter. If you move and THEN summon... the pet might suicide. Happened to me 3 times.]

Also, I was asked to check out the courtyard south of the palace. (there are a TON of skellie guards here) I was level 50 and got exp from 2 of the 3 guards I killed. HOWEVER... 2 of those 3 JOINED the fight (they assisted the guard I was killing) so this is NOT a safe place to farm at level 50. BUT... the "yellow to me at 50" paladin who had been camping them before me did not seem to have them assist. (I make no promises, so if you go there at level 52 and they assist don't blame me. Quite likely they assisted due to my PET'S level not mine.)

(Sendar Tocs 50/51 Enchanter)

Spawn times for the guards inside the city range from 8 min to 15 min....The ones by the elevator, and the on by the soulbinder have 15 min spawns, and the one inside the SK guild has an 8....If you can camp the entire city (50+'s can easily do this), you will NEVER be able to kill the guards fast enough *BUT* on my server you will never be able to camp the whole city because it will already be camped :-P

I dont know how legitimate it is, but a long I found on google searching brought up http://mqemulator.net/zone.php?name=paineel# which says all the mobs in zone have a 10:40 respawn timer. Another server, http://www.thehiddenforest.org/npc.php?id=75040 lists the same time of 10:40.

After further searching I found a guide discussing farming paineel guards with detailed information.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1245/paineel.jpg

I've color coded the mobs by repop time and difficulty.

The black square that's hollow in the middle slightly east of 8 (the bank) is a vendor who's easy, kill him to start with, no faction hit and it resets the prices to best prices.

Color HPS Respawn

Orange = low, 6m (first priority)

Cyan = low, 10m 30s

Green = low, 24-26m

Purple = medium, 25m

Red = high, 25m

Blue = highest, 25m (Note the 25m spawn time is approx on all)

Sources:
http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8720
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?zone=69

zianlo1
08-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Just curious, but on P99, arent all the guards of norrath buffed up to prevent killing them? I saw that somewhere on here, but dont remember where so Im not looking for it =P If Im wrong, then ok.

Emoqq
08-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Im sorry, but you are wrong. P99 is supposed to be attempting to match classic as much as possible.

To make guards buffed up would defeat said purpose considerably.

Reiker
08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
However, many guards, such as Paineel's, had their respawn time increased considerably to discourage killing them. That isn't classic either. Not as drastic as making them unkillable, but still a step in the wrong direction.

Emoqq
08-28-2010, 05:05 PM
However, many guards, such as Paineel's, had their respawn time increased considerably to discourage killing them. That isn't classic either. Not as drastic as making them unkillable, but still a step in the wrong direction.

Yeah, all this did was screw the people leveling there.

There still the occational person who farms paineel ( It 'can' barely handle one player in there right now )

Thus, people have to wait up to 25 minutes to get an elevator key when they die lol

Lazortag
08-28-2010, 05:20 PM

This was debated and the devs provided sound reasoning that you're not giving credit to. I'm not saying they were right (or that they were wrong), but that you aren't adequately representing both sides here. Around the release of Kunark they upped respawn timers for guards; we've done it before Kunark was released, which is technically not classic - however the devs reasoned that the upping of the respawn timers was in response to people abusing Guards as an overly good method of gaining experience/loot (not to mention that it's kind of unhealthy for the server when noobies don't have guards to run to, but this is sort of tangential). In Live when they realized this was going on, this was how they put an end to it - the devs on p99 realized it was going on after a similar amount of time, and people got to abuse guards for longer because they're essentially clairvoyant (aka because they've played through the classic timeline themselves, or at least have knowledge of it). It's not like it was within Kunark's lore or something that Guards had to respawn slower, it was done for the same reason both here and on live, so it doesn't take much away from the "classic timeline" that Guards have had their respawn timers increased.

Also, it only affects newbie zones, so you could always kill guards in Highkeep or WC if you wanted to.

There's a good point to be made that the change wasn't terribly productive just because people STILL kill guards (for whatever reason), meaning noobs have even longer to wait if they want to run to a guard, or worse, get the key in paineel.

What does the evidence you posted suggest about the guards that give the key to people, and their respawn timer? Hopefully it should have been shorter for just those guards.

Also, does anyone know when those guards specifically were made super strong? I believe they were made overpowered before any other guards were, but I could be wrong.

Emoqq
08-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Also, does anyone know when those guards specifically were made super strong? I believe they were made overpowered before any other guards were, but I could be wrong.

Wasnt until like PoP or later. I was still farming Paineel in Luclin on live.

Sannayven
08-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Wasnt Paineel not even out in classic EQ, I swear I remember when Paineel came out.

Emoqq
08-29-2010, 02:28 AM
FEBRUARY 17, 2000
Announcements:

The City of Paineel, home to the infamous Heretics of Erudin, is now available via the Optional Patch. In addition, Erudites may now also be Shadowknights in addition to the other classes available to them. All Erudite Necromancers, Shadowknights, and Clerics who worship the God of Fear, Cazic-Thule, now start in the City of Paineel. As such, if you wish to create a character of this type from this point forward, you *must* download the Paineel zone-files via the Optional Patch.

So, EQ was released April 99, Paineel Feb 00, thats 10 months in, which, well, would be happening about now.

nilbog
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Fixed, pending update.