PDA

View Full Version : off topic dont move (archeage)

rykker
07-21-2014, 12:43 AM
Anyone play the beta this weekend? I kinda liked it....

Pudge
07-21-2014, 09:11 AM
no. but i checked it out and signed up for an invite. looks like it might be fun

Kergan
07-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Belongs in off topic forums please move.

Koota
07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Didn't TRION games make Rift?

Kergan
07-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah. I actually liked Rift on the PVE side. For sure the character building.

Eslade
07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Didn't TRION games make Rift?
Trion made rift, but they're only publishing this game for the American market. I think this game is made by a Korean developer.

Kergan
07-21-2014, 11:50 AM
They've kinda said they'll have a bigger role than the typical publisher though. There is a lot of difference in the MMO consumer here vs. Korea, and for a Korean port to be successful here it really needs an American company with some decision making power.

Eslade
07-21-2014, 11:56 AM
They've kinda said they'll have a bigger role than the typical publisher though. There is a lot of difference in the MMO consumer here vs. Korea, and for a Korean port to be successful here it really needs an American company with some decision making power.

I remember them posting somewhere that they were only doing localization and business model stuff. Any changes to the game that they want are made by the Korean Dev. Pretty standard for mmo localization.

Kergan
07-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I remember them posting somewhere that they were only doing localization and business model stuff. Any changes to the game that they want are made by the Korean Dev. Pretty standard for mmo localization.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/03/archeage-faq-mentions-testing-plans-optional-subscription-and/

Trion addressed its level of control over the title in its relationship with developer XLGAMES and indicated that the Korean 1.0 patch changes will not be coming to the West: "We work with XLGAMES to understand and new features that are added to ArcheAge in the East to determine how well they will be accepted in our regions, and then offer feedback. XLGAMES has been fantastic in addressing that feedback as best as they can. In situations where a feature is added that we don't think will be appropriate for our audiences, we work with XLGAMES to modify or remove that feature from our version."

Genedin
07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
My friend signed up for that expensive alpha and said it was pretty boring and lot like the typical korean grinder you would imagine.

maybe they have added onto it but he said it was deff not a "next gen mmo"

Pitborn
07-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Same shit, different wrapper.

Kergan
07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't think it'll be much different. Most of the issues they've had in the US with korean ports like TERA have been around stuff like the cash shop. For whatever reason the Korean people have no issue paying like $9.99 for a costume they can wear for 1 week and then it goes poof. Shit like that don't fly over here. Same with the daily quest thing, WoW has even moved pretty hard away from those, or at least the idea that you have to log in every single day to min/max.

Genedin
07-21-2014, 02:58 PM
All I want. Is a Shadowbane like game or just fucking revamp that game.

Giant sandbox world that relies on players to make the game interesting, the castles and environment, merchants, etc all have to do with how the players create it. Let people build characters however they want and make tons of options so min/max is not figured out in the first week of the game.

Sadly there is no market for that and people want themepark bullshit

Kergan
07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Isn't that pretty much what Darkfall was? Problem is it is a niche subset within the genre. Niche games don't get the funding to make them polished, and you end up with a bunch of half ass implemented cool ideas.

You should check out the new Mark Jacobs game though, Camelot Unchained.

Little tidbit for you bloodthirsty pvpers out there: There is no PVE leveling, it's all PVP based.

Eslade
07-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Isn't that pretty much what Darkfall was? Problem is it is a niche subset within the genre. Niche games don't get the funding to make them polished, and you end up with a bunch of half ass implemented cool ideas.

You should check out the new Mark Jacobs game though, Camelot Unchained.

Little tidbit for you bloodthirsty pvpers out there: There is no PVE leveling, it's all PVP based.

That's going to suck when the population hits 40 people.

Kergan
07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
I dunno, a lot of people feel about DAoC like we feel about EQ. The nostalgia factor alone will be enough to carry it for awhile at least.

Genedin
07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Darkfall was way too boring and hardcore. Shadowbane was leagues more fun, had tons of players but terrible servers that killed the game early on.

I am patiently awaiting my 401k to become available so I can buy a GeForce 998784390GTX to play Camelot Unchained. Prob will have to juggle my time between that and Red99 Velious.

Eslade
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I am patiently awaiting my 401k to become available so I can buy a GeForce 998784390GTX to play Camelot Unchained. Prob will have to juggle my time between that and Red99 Velious.

So you're in your 30's Genedin?

HippoNipple
07-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Darkfall was way too boring and hardcore. Shadowbane was leagues more fun, had tons of players but terrible servers that killed the game early on.

You are dipping into retirement funds, taking a 10% penalty plus ordinary income tax, to purchase a graphics card to play video games on?

Jesus.

Genedin
07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
You are dipping into retirement funds, taking a 10% penalty plus ordinary income tax, to purchase a graphics card to play video games on?

Jesus.

Not sure if trolling or idiot.

Edalse close, I'm late 20's.

HippoNipple
07-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Not sure if trolling or idiot.

Edalse close, I'm late 20's.

I guess mark me down for idiot, I don't get it.

iiNGloriouS
07-21-2014, 04:12 PM
My friend signed up for that expensive alpha and said it was pretty boring and lot like the typical korean grinder you would imagine.

maybe they have added onto it but he said it was deff not a "next gen mmo"

I remember when I played Soul of the Ultimate Nation, holy fuck was that the most boring game ever. Played to level 25 and said FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that. Everythings a fucking copy, its like City of Heroes with japanese art influenced into it.

freez
07-21-2014, 04:16 PM
omg yall got chip talking about video games

RUN

Swish
07-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Which way to the cash shop? I want to win.

iiNGloriouS
07-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Which way to the cash shop? I want to win.

Sums up 100% of asian mmos.

Kergan
07-21-2014, 04:56 PM
I like pay to win, since that way I can win even more easily then immediately joining the top guild on the server as a warm body.

R Flair
07-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Problem with sandbox games is and probably always will be the lack of proper progression. Its the reason thousands of people still play everquest.

You can add castles and cool crafting till ur eyes bleed but if there isn't some form of progression that makes you really powerful and competition with other players to achieve it, your game will fizzle out the way every sandbox game did. I'd take another EQ like MMO without the sandbox any day though I'd much prefer and EQ/sandbox hybrid. EQ feels more sandbox than sandbox games.

Kergan
07-21-2014, 10:06 PM
When I think of a fun sandbox, I think UO. But UO can never happen again, not in todays over-saturated kickstarter funded market. The beauty of UO is you had the innocent victims, the traders trying to sell their wares, the roleplayers, the harvesters...and they had no choice but to PVP. This opened up the possibility of playing as a true villain, and for people to play the hero.

The problem is nowadays anything with forced world PVP is going to be a niche game of people that only want to play the hero and villain. Remove the innocent victims the heroes claim to protect and the PKs want to gank and you end up with an arena style shoot 'em up game.

It's just a delicate balance that could only have happened when there were hardly any other choices - people were basically forced to play it if they wanted to participate in the genre.

Gaffin 7.0
07-21-2014, 11:06 PM
daoc is the closest mmo to eq, why do all korean game characters run with their face in the ground with a dildo up their ass? its weird

Ames who?
07-21-2014, 11:12 PM
You can't expect to post anything about a new game on these forums and get positive feedback. Everyone here is a cynical fuck and not the typical market that devs want to please anyway (Playing a 15 year old game?)

I've played Archage beta and it was tons of fun.

Rollbackprices
07-21-2014, 11:13 PM
When I think of a fun sandbox, I think UO. But UO can never happen again, not in todays over-saturated kickstarter funded market. The beauty of UO is you had the innocent victims, the traders trying to sell their wares, the roleplayers, the harvesters...and they had no choice but to PVP. This opened up the possibility of playing as a true villain, and for people to play the hero.

People say gamers keep coming back to EQ for nostalgia, but I don't believe that to be the reason at all. It offers something that no other games have.

UO, however, i believe is really a case of nostalgia over content. It was really fun for its time but when I went back and tried to play it again on the last IPY, it was super boring. The community is what made it great. EQ had community but also the content that made it super addictive. No other game offered the exclusivity of EQ progression.

Clark
07-22-2014, 04:18 AM
Belongs in off topic forums please move.

BeautBabeC
07-22-2014, 04:35 AM
UO hands down best pvp mmo game all time

R Flair
07-22-2014, 05:45 AM
UO hands down best pvp mmo game all time

Except that it wasnt. Mechanically it was inferior to even EQ. Like most sandbox mmos of the past (uo/darkfall/mortal online) it had a flawed system where most people were one of 2 maybe 3 builds (dexer/caster). It lacked the diversity of EQ class system, even though hypothetically it would be possible using skill trees.

Then theres what rollback said with the motivation for pvp. EQ has so many things to compete over. Those were real reasons to pvp, not just for the sake of murdering people and taking their shit. In everquest your actions had consequences.

Genedin
07-22-2014, 09:36 AM

The problem is nowadays anything with forced world PVP is going to be a niche game of people that only want to play the hero and villain. Remove the innocent victims the heroes claim to protect and the PKs want to gank and you end up with an arena style shoot 'em up game.

It's just a delicate balance that could only have happened when there were hardly any other choices - people were basically forced to play it if they wanted to participate in the genre.

I don't think I've ever considered this point exactly and it may be true. Somewhat.

I think you'd need a lure to bring in the innocents. Again the sandbox building style game. Look at EQ next and landmark. With arguably the best worldbuilder/minecraft style game out, EQ landmark is going to attract plenty of people who don't want to pvp.

Combine these two styles of game and you may be able to attract both players.

To Rick Flairs point, you do need progression and you could still have it easily with the ability to make expansive games that exists these days.

Kergan
07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
People say gamers keep coming back to EQ for nostalgia, but I don't believe that to be the reason at all. It offers something that no other games have.

UO, however, i believe is really a case of nostalgia over content. It was really fun for its time but when I went back and tried to play it again on the last IPY, it was super boring. The community is what made it great. EQ had community but also the content that made it super addictive. No other game offered the exclusivity of EQ progression.

I had the exact same experience on IPY, pretty much for the reasons I stated in my original UO posts. All the casuals were gone and you're left with a bunch of people who want to gank each other. It ruined the balance the game had initially that made it great.

The problem UO had is they never really knew why people liked the game, as evidenced by the changes they made to pretty much keep all the shitty parts of it and remove all the good parts. They tried to cater to the WoW crowd when that game took off, which pretty much went against everything the original golden era UO was all about. I left the game for good when the whole murder count nonsense got added, giving permanent stat reduction to people who died with a murder count. Later they removed open world PVP and restricted it to a separate copy of the world...so stupid.

This emu is really no different than IPY, but the difference is the game supports it. EQ was always a game that catered to the neckbeards, and large groups of them banding together. If you look at the WoW philosophy with raids...it's basically make the top tier only doable by the top 1%, then as you release a new top tier you make the older raids easier. It has the benefit of the neckbeards always staying on top, but still allowing the more casual players to see all the content a little bit behind the curve, but while it's still relevant. EQ doesn't work like that at all, in fact quite the opposite.

Kergan
07-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Except that it wasnt. Mechanically it was inferior to even EQ. Like most sandbox mmos of the past (uo/darkfall/mortal online) it had a flawed system where most people were one of 2 maybe 3 builds (dexer/caster). It lacked the diversity of EQ class system, even though hypothetically it would be possible using skill trees.

Then theres what rollback said with the motivation for pvp. EQ has so many things to compete over. Those were real reasons to pvp, not just for the sake of murdering people and taking their shit. In everquest your actions had consequences.

I'd argue that a game is a better PVP game if people do it just for the sake of doing it. EQ has always been objective based which has it's own charm, but in reality there isn't a whole lot of PVP in EQ even on a PVP server. People remember killing another player in EQ, in UO it was such a way of life it would be similar to remembering that you killed your 400th dar ghoul in lower guk.

Kergan
07-22-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't think I've ever considered this point exactly and it may be true. Somewhat.

I think you'd need a lure to bring in the innocents. Again the sandbox building style game. Look at EQ next and landmark. With arguably the best worldbuilder/minecraft style game out, EQ landmark is going to attract plenty of people who don't want to pvp.

Combine these two styles of game and you may be able to attract both players.

To Rick Flairs point, you do need progression and you could still have it easily with the ability to make expansive games that exists these days.

The problem lies in for PVP to be meaningful risk vs reward you need to essentially take things from other players by killing them. That just doesn't fit the way most players want in an mmo today. I think you'd have a real hard time bringing both crowds together and making it work. Even in a game like UO where it was great, you couldn't do it anymore. Like I said, when UO was out EQ wasn't even in beta yet...if you wanted to play a high fantasy style MMORPG it was your only option. I guarantee those people getting ganked were fucking pissed, but they didn't ragequit because there was nowhere else to go.