PDA

View Full Version : 'spells file is outdated' - Ubuntu on Dell D630

dmorawski
07-10-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to get p99 running on my Dell Latitude D630. This laptop is from circa 2007 and has integrated graphics, so I'm not entirely optimistic. But the problems I'm experiencing don't seem related to that..

I followed mgellan's guide for installing p99 on linux (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14125). Due to space limitations, I had to install EQ on a drive different than C:. I created a new drive (H: ) using winecfg, and made the appropriate Program Files/p99 folders. Then I installed EQ to that location, without issue.

I downloaded the most recent patch from project1999.com and deleted the problem zone files (arena, lava, nek). I downloaded the eqclient.ini file that mgellan provides and made some adjustments to the resolution.

I edited the EQ shortcut on my desktop as mgellan instructs, loaded the game, and crashed several times while the character screen was loading.

In an attempt to debug this, I made a script, again according to mgellan's instructions:
#!/bin/sh
# if you don't have the script's cwd set, you get XML errors
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/
cd < where my EQ is located >

# Bind to one core of the processor and launch.
# The client will spew a lot of errors, especially every time
# you target a mob, hence the stdout/stderr redirect.
# You probably want to leave off the 2>/dev/null until you're satisfied
# everything is working.
taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme #2>/dev/null #I commented this out to see what errors I was getting

Using this script, I am now able to load the character screen, but it says my spells file is out of date and I need get the patch from project1999.com

Thanks in advance!

Update: Because of case-sensitivity on Linux, DSETUP.DLL was not replaced by dsetup.dll in the patch. So after getting rid of the old .dll file, the error message went away.

mgellan
07-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Using this script, I am now able to load the character screen, but it says my spells file is out of date and I need get the patch from project1999.com

Thanks in advance!

Download these and install them in your EQ directory - http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files33.zip, whenever these come out they're posted on the front page of the web site.

Regards,
Mg

dmorawski
07-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply - as I mentioned in my post, I did this. Other ideas?

Thulack
07-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply - as I mentioned in my post, I did this. Other ideas?

Well not having the new files in the right place is what gives you the spellfiles out of date error. When you extracted the files into the folder did it ask you to overwrite the old files? if not you are doing something wrong then.

dmorawski
07-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Well not having the new files in the right place is what gives you the spellfiles out of date error. When you extracted the files into the folder did it ask you to overwrite the old files? if not you are doing something wrong then.

Oddly enough, it only asks me to overwrite files when copying the files in the main p99 directory. The other directories (Resources, SpellEffects, uifiles) did not. I was sure to not overwrite the entire directories, though, so I'm not sure why this would be.

Swish
07-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Try deleting all the files individually and manually extracting. Sounds laborious but it might be a possible cure :p

Thulack
07-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Oddly enough, it only asks me to overwrite files when copying the files in the main p99 directory. The other directories (Resources, SpellEffects, uifiles) did not. I was sure to not overwrite the entire directories, though, so I'm not sure why this would be.

You do want to overwrite anything it asks. so if you clicked no to not overwriting something then thats what you did wrong.

Thulack
07-13-2014, 04:42 PM
And i played live EQ 2 years ago on a Latitude D600 so your 630 should have no issue playing p99.

myriverse
07-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Every single time I've ever gotten the "spell file" error it has been wrong. Just saying.

mgellan
07-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Every single time I've ever gotten the "spell file" error it has been wrong. Just saying.

Thats not real clear - are you saying every time you have gotten the "spell file" error it was an error OTHER than spell files, or are you saying every time you got that it's because of some problem with the spell files - which is my experience.

OP's EQ seems to be running just fine if you get the patch applied. You need it in the $WINEPREFIX/drive_h/Program Files/Everquest99 folder right?

Regards,
Mg

Coriolis
07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
I am attempting to get EQ running on wine this morning, and am having the same issue. I have extracted the spell files to the EverQuest directory directly and via copy/paste (Yes-to-all for replacement) and still get the error.

Going to attempt to manually delete all the files and then copy over to see if it is somehow an issue with the sub-directories not being moved properly, but that seems unusual. I'll let ya know how it goes.

myriverse
07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Thats not real clear - are you saying every time you have gotten the "spell file" error it was an error OTHER than spell files, or are you saying every time you got that it's because of some problem with the spell files - which is my experience.

OP's EQ seems to be running just fine if you get the patch applied. You need it in the $WINEPREFIX/drive_h/Program Files/Everquest99 folder right?
Every time I've gotten the error, there's been absolutely nothing wrong with my spell file. The problem lies with the server's ability to properly detect my spell file... for whatever reason. I wouldn't really put my faith into what the error says.

But yes, put it wherever your P99 folder is.

Coriolis
07-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Every time I've gotten the error, there's been absolutely nothing wrong with my spell file. The problem lies with the server's ability to properly detect my spell file... for whatever reason.

You know of any fixes for this then? Can't really do anything from the client side then eh?

myriverse
07-14-2014, 11:16 AM
The problems I encounter seem to be related to my Internet connection, and not necessarily my system or P99's. I can usually log in, eventually, but sometimes it takes many, many tries (some days 20 or more). Most days I get no problems at all.

Coriolis
07-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Hmm.. I'm running a wired 50 Mbit/s connection atm, but I'll give that a shot, see if maybe the server decides to properly read the files.

dmorawski
07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Okay - so I manually copied each of the patch files over the drive_h/Program\ Files\p99 folder and had to overwrite files in each case. I'm still get the 'spells file outdated' message.

Kind of at a loss. One thing I will say is that my drive_h (where p99 is installed) is not a subdirectory of $WINEPREFIX, which gets set to /home/dmorawski/.wine when I launch p99. However, I setup drive_h using winecfg and it seems to be finding the files without issue, just not the most up-to-date spells file..

Coriolis
07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Think I got it figured out, at least the issue I was having.

You need to rename the P99 dsetup.dll to DSETUP.dll so that it actually overwrites the one in the everquest directory. Windows doesn't have this case sensitivity so will overwrite regardless, but linux will just toss both of them in there apparently. Since the server uses this dll as a hook for the spell file check, you have to make sure it's updated.

Hope that helps, good luck.

dmorawski
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
You need to rename the P99 dsetup.dll to DSETUP.dll so that it actually overwrites the one in the everquest directory. Windows doesn't have this case sensitivity so will overwrite regardless, but linux will just toss both of them in there apparently. Since the server uses this dll as a hook for the spell file check, you have to make sure it's updated.

This was exactly my problem! Thanks so much, Coriolis & everyone for your help. I'm now running EQ in Linux! Whoa!

Deliverus_Gamorum
08-13-2014, 08:02 PM
I am having the same problem. When I do get the files from the getting started page and extract or copy/paste them it asks me to replace every time (something around 70+ files). However, it still mentions that my spell file is outdated ERRORCODE SP-1

Coriolis
08-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Are you running on wine? In that case read the part about the DLL above.

Deliverus_Gamorum
08-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Renamed dsetup to DSETUP but still nothing. Looking around to see if something went awry. Oh and yeah I use Win7

RaptorSB
08-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Had to reinstall the game and repatch after trying to update the EQEmu Launcher thing, when I hit play it said the DSETUP.dll was missing.

Now, after following all the directions on the Getting Started post, I'm getting the same error about the spell files not being there.

I patched (overwrite all files/folders with the P99 patch v33 files/folders).

Laugher
09-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Tyvm for this fix, was the last thing holding me up from getting in game on Ubuntu 14 :D

Arkaan
09-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Had to reinstall the game and repatch after trying to update the EQEmu Launcher thing, when I hit play it said the DSETUP.dll was missing.

Now, after following all the directions on the Getting Started post, I'm getting the same error about the spell files not being there.

I patched (overwrite all files/folders with the P99 patch v33 files/folders).

yo the file DSETUP.dll from titanium is different caps then the one from p99 zip so in Linux theyre 2 files.

so rename / remove DSETUP.DLL then dsetup.dll will work