PDA

View Full Version : PVP Server rules - Mob camp question

stealthdsm
07-09-2014, 10:51 AM
This should be pretty short and sweet.

For example:
Let's say you are camping a mob. I understand that it is competitive for the camp (you can kill each other for it).

But what if a player waits for you to start attacking the mob and then attacks you - which may or may not result in an XP death. Is this allowed?

I feel like the answer "should" be this is not allowed.

Any insight much appreciated.

Thank you!

Colgate
07-09-2014, 10:54 AM
yes this is allowed

stealthdsm
07-09-2014, 11:02 AM
When/if the mob kills you it will result in an XP death - this seems pretty intentional to me. The person attacking you knows that the mob will be hitting you and can result in a death.

To quote Rogean:

Causing Experience Loss.

Intentionally causing experience-loss to other players in the PvP environment is illegal in all cases and may result in disciplinary action when witnessed by a P99CSR. This includes things such as intentionally training NPCs. We do understand that there are cases where the experience-loss is unintentional, and no disciplinary action will be taken in those cases.

Much like how the Kill Stealing rule applies to those on the blue servers, this rule is designed to discourage and make note of those who do it habitually, thus betraying the spirit of PvP. As a note, the P99CSR will not in any case provide a resurrection for someone who was caused experience loss in PvP, intentionally or otherwise. This is one of the dangers of playing on a PvP server.

no chewie dont
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
interesting i seem to remember a certain yabo getting experience restored on a pvp server after suffering some pvp deaths
to1xici1ty t1oo

raka
07-09-2014, 11:07 AM
This post makes me want xp loss on pvp again.

Grimjaw
07-09-2014, 11:09 AM
don't attack the mob if someone is waiting for u to do so..

stealthdsm
07-09-2014, 11:10 AM
don't attack the mob if someone is waiting for u to do so..

You can't always see someone hiding over a hill waiting for you to expend all of your mana trying to kill this mob. And acts like that to me seem malicious.

PVP death is one thing and that is fine, but scumbagging like that with xp loss shouldn't be allowed.

Kergan
07-09-2014, 11:11 AM
When/if the mob kills you it will result in an XP death - this seems pretty intentional to me. The person attacking you knows that the mob will be hitting you and can result in a death.

To quote Rogean:

Causing Experience Loss.

Intentionally causing experience-loss to other players in the PvP environment is illegal in all cases and may result in disciplinary action when witnessed by a P99CSR. This includes things such as intentionally training NPCs. We do understand that there are cases where the experience-loss is unintentional, and no disciplinary action will be taken in those cases.

Much like how the Kill Stealing rule applies to those on the blue servers, this rule is designed to discourage and make note of those who do it habitually, thus betraying the spirit of PvP. As a note, the P99CSR will not in any case provide a resurrection for someone who was caused experience loss in PvP, intentionally or otherwise. This is one of the dangers of playing on a PvP server.

The stance from the CSRs here has always been that if PVE deaths happen in the course of PVP so be it. If you're rooting someone next to mobs on purpose to exp loss them repeatedly or something that is a different situation.

In your scenario a person is in the zone waiting for another person to engage...I'd say the person engaging the mob should keep a closer eye on the /who list.

Pikrib
07-09-2014, 11:11 AM
It's legal bud. They have to "try" to kill you though. I don't think they can root ya then walk away, but casting a lvl 1 nuke or shooting 1 arrow is probably sufficient to not get banned.

Kergan
07-09-2014, 11:14 AM
You can't always see someone hiding over a hill waiting for you to expend all of your mana trying to kill this mob. And acts like that to me seem malicious.

PVP death is one thing and that is fine, but scumbagging like that with xp loss shouldn't be allowed.

Actually you can see people hiding over a hill 100% of the time if you take the time to look.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
07-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Wot

Shit happens. It's incredibly easy to regain your xp back anyways.

stealthdsm
07-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Actually you can see people hiding over a hill 100% of the time if you take the time to look.

By that theory you could see where every player in the zone is, however not viable.

If you are medding because you drained your mana killing the previous spawn you can't run around looking for players constantly.

I understand this is a PVP server, I was just looking for somewhat an official stance on the subject.

Just need to grows some eyes in the back of my head obviously.

Kergan
07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Your question was specific to someone attacking you while fighting a mob. I would suggest before you pull you're doing a /who in the zone and if there is someone you think might attack you, don't pull the mob.

Zalaerian
07-09-2014, 12:12 PM
People will not wait for you to deal with pve before attacking. Dispelling charmed mobs, breaking mezes, ect all viable strays on this box

Mac Drettj
07-09-2014, 12:25 PM

as long as they try to kill you, its legal

Sektor
07-09-2014, 12:27 PM
this should be rnf has nothing to do with p99

Uberbandit
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
By that theory you could see where every player in the zone is, however not viable.

If you are medding because you drained your mana killing the previous spawn you can't run around looking for players constantly.

I understand this is a PVP server, I was just looking for somewhat an official stance on the subject.

Just need to grows some eyes in the back of my head obviously.

Play a ranger, problem is solved.

On the real, I imagine it goes down something like this. You are pulling a mob, which is you knowingly placing yourself in danger. You wouldn't engage a mob when you are at 10% hp because you'll die. You also wouldn't engage a mob with a thirsty wizard over your shoulder. A little creative pulling can go a long way to making sure you aren't ganked.

Now, for a situation like someone training or rooting a mob on top of you to cause xp loss. In that case the person is taking what you were safe from before (mobs you intentionally weren't engaging) and making them a threat to you. In PvP, players are allowed to engage other players, but it is against the spirit (and in this case the rules) to engage mobs onto other players.

Not a avid red player, but this is how I would look at the rule. The rules are intentionally gray so that the GM's can punish in valid situations, and be lenient in others. Don't be a douchecanoe and you will end up fine.

Mac Drettj
07-09-2014, 12:48 PM
PvP on Everquest is appealing because it is open world.

...because there is a risk like this all of the time. We like the thrill of playing on R99 because at anytime someone can port in on us, log in on us, rush us while we are engaged in PvE etc.

The difference between good and bad is whether or not your prepared for it. You should always have escape spells on your bar, this isn't blue where you can load 6 buffs, a root and a nuke and be ok.

As a wizard you should always have gate+yonder on your bar, you should always have enough mana to use these spells, you should always have your rune on to give you those extra moments incase you get ganked.

As a druid/shaman you should always have cheetah and gate loaded, always have sow on.

Always have all of your buffs on. Always refresh your buffs. Have a good buff order so a single dispell doesnt remove your lev/run speed.

Constantly check /who. Bind /who to a move key, filter the text into it's own window. You should never be suprised by someone attacking you. You should know the moment they enter zone and begin preparing yourself for PvP. If that means stop pulling and med, then so be it. That is why we have increased EXP bonus, because we are PvPing + PvEing.

If you know the person in your zone is in your PvP range and you are tired of waiting for them to attack, go on the offensive and find them. Kick them out. It's your zone. It's your loot. It's your exp. Take what is yours.

Tradesonred
07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
I used to jump people all the time on live like this, it gives you a tactical advantage, deal with it.

The rule is, as long as you still try to finish the guy, get the last hit, legal.

The problem with PnP is all kinds of details and refinements have been added by GMs in random posts that are not stickied on top.

Zade
07-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Attack him first, kill him, then kill your mob. errryone happy

stealthdsm
07-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Attack him first, kill him, then kill your mob. errryone happy

Word.
I should stop giving people the benefit of the doubt that they won't attack me :)

Mac Drettj
07-09-2014, 01:43 PM
it gives you a tactical advantage, deal with it.

|3igHurb
07-09-2014, 02:02 PM
P99CSR will not in any case provide a resurrection for someone who was caused experience loss in PvP, intentionally or otherwise. This is one of the dangers of playing on a PvP server.

Technique
07-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Just need to grows some eyes in the back of my head obviously.Grow some balls while you're at it.

stealthdsm
07-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Grow some balls while you're at it.

It must be a sad life being so toxic, people like you ruin communities - not just online.

Technique
07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
I feel like the answer "should" be this is not allowed.
scumbagging like that with xp loss shouldn't be allowed.You're too much of a feckless pussy to take matters into your own hands that you'd rather PvP was simply forbidden when any player is engaged with a mob.

The "play nice" policy is already at odds with the game's internal rules in every respect, yet here you propose an addendum to it that would fuel more squabbling, witch-hunting, and rule-lawyering than all its other clauses combined.

If I'm toxic it's because your stupidity is cancerous.

Clark
07-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Why in the hell would it not be allowed.

Clark
07-09-2014, 08:06 PM
You're too much of a feckless pussy to take matters into your own hands that you'd rather PvP was simply forbidden when any player is engaged with a mob.

The "play nice" policy is already at odds with the game's internal rules in every respect, yet here you propose an addendum to it that would fuel more squabbling, witch-hunting, and rule-lawyering than all its other clauses combined.

If I'm toxic it's because your stupidity is cancerous.

What in the hell are you talking about. This guy is off his rocker.