PDA

View Full Version : Why Variance is good, something we can all agree with.

steve roberts
07-08-2014, 10:57 PM
http://s17.postimg.org/4xwc0j7lr/Untitled_2.jpg

mikemandella
07-08-2014, 11:01 PM
There you have it. It looks like both sides are advocating a change... Time for the GM's to step up and give the people what they want!

mrproudbeard
07-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Where's that heartbrand animated gif at?

LulzSect
07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
http://www.dailystormer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Laughing-Jew-Rat.gif

mostbitter
07-09-2014, 02:03 AM
There you have it. It looks like both sides are advocating a change... Time for the GM's to step up and give the people what they want!

not gonna look good on ur app dog

silo32
07-09-2014, 02:10 AM
this is going on your app hb your still a recruit app scum remember this

Drakaris
07-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Variance is shit, what the server needs is more sexy women! Failing that, this server should have cluster based re-pops, which is essentially random sim repops that spawn several mobs at the same time, but not all of them. For example; Druushk, Naggy, Venril Sathir, Trakanon and Cazic Thule, Faydedar all spawn at the same time. All guilds race to see what has spawned, there is no way one guild can know which mobs have spawned and they can start taking out priority targets, giving the competitor a fighting chance to scout and snipe.

Food for thought...

Bazia
07-09-2014, 02:49 AM
p good idea

steve roberts
07-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Variance is shit, what the server needs is more sexy women! Failing that, this server should have cluster based re-pops, which is essentially random sim repops that spawn several mobs at the same time, but not all of them. For example; Druushk, Naggy, Venril Sathir, Trakanon and Cazic Thule, Faydedar all spawn at the same time. All guilds race to see what has spawned, there is no way one guild can know which mobs have spawned and they can start taking out priority targets, giving the competitor a fighting chance to scout and snipe.

Food for thought...

Horrible idea. Let's stick to Checkraise's ideas.

Jib
07-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Horrible idea. Let's stick to Checkraise's ideas.

have to admit pretty bad idea, sim repop = 100% chance repop so just log a scout at the area and check everything instantly, hardly call that scouting.

variance = any time repop so sitting scouting 24 hours a day is not logical, just have to randomly show up for raids and maybe its up maybe its not.

Variance is the best thing for this server at the moment without a doubt

Mac Drettj
07-09-2014, 12:04 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljutygJZO21qhdexto1_400.gif

Clark
07-09-2014, 08:45 PM
http://www.dailystormer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Laughing-Jew-Rat.gif

Rofl

steve roberts
07-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Any other Nihilum want to support checkraise in helping make the server better ? Support Variance !

mikemandella
07-10-2014, 05:03 AM
Was this thread in RNF? IF so good to see it's where it belongs!

R Flair
07-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Variance is a joke. Guaranteed to grief those with less than a 6 inch neckbeard straight off the box.

The whole point of a pvp server is competition, and variance is nothing but a way to directly circumvent it.

Variance posts are nothing but a pipedream where the dreamer gets lucky enough to stumble across untracked raid mobs (never happens) or, more likely, an outright attempt to grief the reigning guild by forcing them to track dozens of mobs 24 hours a day (which they will do).

Pikrib
07-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Personally I don't want variance for several reasons which I won't go into in this post.

I disagree with Rick Flair here. I think variance could increase competition/pvp. Guilds would be more prone to go for mobs that they actually needed not just because they could. Lets not forget about pvp just for the right to track a mob.

What I would like to see is something completely different. Here is what I would suggest:

Keep simulated repop timers as the actual timer. This is the classic way. Lets say Verant patched and server came back up on Monday at noon. All the mobs would spawn on Monday at noon, and this is when (after the mobs died) the cycle would normally start. It was likely that 2 weeks later Verant would patch again and bring the servers back up again at a different time. This would reset all the timers again to a different time. and so on and on.

The problem with screen shakes is that they don't reset the 7 day timers which they would in classic EQ.

heartbrand
07-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Agree with Pikrib. Also people really underestimate the neck beards of nihilum if you think they will let mobs stay up. I get like three bat phones a day for ragefire / dojorn / pvp.

mostbitter
07-10-2014, 08:56 AM
classic eq + group bonus + sim repops + pnp + custom ffa zones + custom bind rules + nerfed insta clickies not good enough azrael still not winning without trying please continue to add more non classic changes. Thanks

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 08:59 AM
classic eq + group bonus + sim repops + pnp + custom ffa zones + custom bind rules + nerfed insta clickies not good enough azrael still not winning without trying please continue to add more non classic changes. Thanks

so you use dial up to connect?

oh no! Then STFU about keeping it classic.

Musetii
07-10-2014, 09:06 AM
so you use dial up to connect?

oh no! Then STFU about keeping it classic.

Syft, it's fine for you to disagree with Mostbitter and to become contentious, but not to the point where you are clearly being aggressive. Remember, PVP Server Chat as per Derubael, is not a place for "shit talking."

Thank you.

heartbrand
07-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Half of these things have nothing to do with azrael wut?

Cheesypoof
07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Musetti if you dont calm the fuck down im going to have to ignore your arse

post somthing revelant or stfu

Musetii
07-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Musetti if you dont calm the fuck down im going to have to ignore your arse

post somthing revelant or stfu

Choosing to ignore me is your option as a member of this community. I'm striving to ensure that Derubael's vision for a peaceful environment within PVP Server Chat is attained. If you have any problems with that, I suggest you make a post in the RnF section detailing your issues with me. But please, leave the "shit talking" out of the PVP Server Chat section.

Thank you.

Bazia
07-10-2014, 09:17 AM
everyone on the server universally agreeing that insta gate potting was stupid was azrael trying to sabotage nihilum

makes sense

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Syft, it's fine for you to disagree with Mostbitter and to become contentious, but not to the point where you are clearly being aggressive. Remember, PVP Server Chat as per Derubael, is not a place for "shit talking."

Thank you.

Was a relevant counter argument, no rules broken!

http://sandiegofreepress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/nothing-to-see.jpg

Musetii
07-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Was a relevant counter argument, no rules broken!

http://sandiegofreepress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/nothing-to-see.jpg

Thank you for toning it down. Happy forumquesting.

Cheesypoof
07-10-2014, 09:33 AM
This message is hidden because Musetii is on your ignore list.

1 forum nazi troll down

Now if I could get Syft from quoting his shit im golden

Kergan
07-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Personally I don't want variance for several reasons which I won't go into in this post.

I disagree with Rick Flair here. I think variance could increase competition/pvp. Guilds would be more prone to go for mobs that they actually needed not just because they could. Lets not forget about pvp just for the right to track a mob.

What I would like to see is something completely different. Here is what I would suggest:

Keep simulated repop timers as the actual timer. This is the classic way. Lets say Verant patched and server came back up on Monday at noon. All the mobs would spawn on Monday at noon, and this is when (after the mobs died) the cycle would normally start. It was likely that 2 weeks later Verant would patch again and bring the servers back up again at a different time. This would reset all the timers again to a different time. and so on and on.

The problem with screen shakes is that they don't reset the 7 day timers which they would in classic EQ.

Totally agreed. I'd like to see "simulated" repops change the actual timer. Believe it or not we hate this 4AM repop shit as much as anyone. I don't think it should happen every week or even every 2 weeks though, maybe once a month?

bigshowtime
07-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I luv it

Pikrib
07-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Totally agreed. I'd like to see "simulated" repops change the actual timer. Believe it or not we hate this 4AM repop shit as much as anyone. I don't think it should happen every week or even every 2 weeks though, maybe once a month?

What was it like in classic times? It sure seemed like ever couple weeks they would patch, do server maintenance, server splits, etc.

R Flair
07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Agree with Pikrib. Also people really underestimate the neck beards of nihilum if you think they will let mobs stay up. I get like three bat phones a day for ragefire / dojorn / pvp.

Agree

Don't think anyone is against a more frequent simulated repop, though i think the exact time should vary maybe between 12pm and 8pm to allow players from various places a chance to raid. This should stretch the limits of nihilum and force them to pvp over multiple targets and bring more strategy into the picture, while also presenting at least some sort of opportunity for other guilds to get a mob or two if they play their cards right.

repops should also reset timers, the true EQ way.

But you guys are kidding yourselves if you think nihilum wont go for all mobs, and that they would let even a single raid boss go untracked in a variance system.

Kergan
07-10-2014, 09:49 AM
What was it like in classic times? It sure seemed like ever couple weeks they would patch, do server maintenance, server splits, etc.

There was a ton of patching in live, way too much to simulate here.

This is a good link just to see the dates in a condensed form:
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/19992002.php

Not all of those required the server to come down though, I'd have to go through and see. Probably close to twice a month on average. Keep in mind they always did the non-emergency patching at the exact same time and pretty much on the same day so we'd already want to break away from classic in that regard. If this idea were to happen it really should be what we think is best in our situation not what happened back then.

Kergan
07-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Agree

Don't think anyone is against a more frequent simulated repop, though i think the exact time should vary maybe between 12pm and 8pm to allow players from various places a chance to raid. This should stretch the limits of nihilum and force them to pvp over multiple targets and bring more strategy into the picture, while also presenting at least some sort of opportunity for other guilds to get a mob or two if they play their cards right.

repops should also reset timers, the true EQ way.

But you guys are kidding yourselves if you think nihilum wont go for all mobs, and that they would let even a single raid boss go untracked in a variance system.

We'll do what we can, but simulated repops have already been proven to land targets outside our grasp. We're not going to lose a high priority target most likely but ones like Fay that take a long time to get to, or Sev that has traditionally been near the enemy bind point and also isn't high priority will be tough to take down while we worry about PD, VS, Inny/CT, etc. I think a repop situation has so much more potential for PVP than variance though. I'd love to split off a small crew and go after the enemy while the main raid force goes for the high priority targets. We'd be heavily outnumbered and it would be fun and challenging PVP.

steve roberts
07-10-2014, 09:55 AM

steve roberts
07-10-2014, 09:57 AM
I'd love to split off a small crew and go after the enemy while the main raid force goes for the high priority targets. We'd be heavily outnumbered and it would be fun and challenging PVP.

Won't happen, and if it did they'd only send the good players to attack the enemy, you'd never see any of the "fun". With variance and target guarding everyone would have an opportunity to be attacked or attack. Also it's about spreading the fun throughout the week...The pops being restricted to a short period of time is still a problem in sim repops.

Kergan
07-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Should just restrict Lite's 5th forum account to RNF only would make having a decent conversation about the server health a lot easier.

Kergan
07-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Won't happen, and if it did they'd only send the good players to attack the enemy, you'd never see any of the "fun". With variance and target guarding everyone would have an opportunity to be attacked or attack.

I'm even worse at PVE than PVP so I'd probably be relegated to running into the enemy raid force to eat as many nukes as possible before I died.

steve roberts
07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Should just restrict Lite's 5th forum account to RNF only would make having a decent conversation about the server health a lot easier.

lol yeah, people who came to the server with their mind set on picking the path of least resistance is exactly who we want constructing policy.

Pikrib
07-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Anyone disagree (besides Lite & past HB) with repops being done the old school way? I would like to get someone to give me a reason that repops shouldn't be done this way. You can poke holes in the idea if you want.

In response to Rick...
You guys seem really sure about yourselves. IDK, I think people would get sick of tracking Faydedar #27. Especially if no one needed the loot and they were getting constantly ganked by syft.

If you guys are so sure about how u would take all the mobs then maybe you should ask the devs to try simulated repops for a month.

Sektor
07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
I luv it

lol

Kergan
07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Anyone disagree with repops being done the old school way? I would like to get someone to give me a reason that repops shouldn't be done this way. You can poke holes in the idea if you want.

In response to Rick...
You guys seem really sure about yourselves. IDK, I think people would get sick of tracking Faydedar #27. Especially if no one needed the loot and they were getting constantly ganked by syft.

If you guys are so sure about how u would take all the mobs then maybe you should ask the devs to try simulated repops for a month.

I'm telling you man, people won't get sick of it. I would get sick of it after 1 time, but I'm in the minority.

Keep in mind also that patches were announced in advance on live, sometimes multiple weeks. Not sure I'd want that here, I like the ground shaking sometimes.

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 10:18 AM
IDK, I think people would get sick of tracking Faydedar #27. Especially if no one needed the loot and they were getting constantly ganked by syft.

In Nihilum's defense they are really good at getting ganked by me, then they accuse me of hacking!

Genedin
07-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Every time the "people will get sick of it" argument comes up there are two factors to consider.

Some people have been farming this box for years even with no competition or population. These people are already extremely sick thus it is impossible for them to get "sick of it"

The rest of the bandwagon zerg that joined Nilly for easy and uncontested pixels finding themselves stuck in a zone or given an important task that they have to work for and put in constant effort vs the neckbeards trying to stop them will eventually burn out or give up or in the least not log in for every dragon raid like it is now.

Don't forget, there are neckbeards on both sides.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Red Dawn asked for variance and they got half their 60s banned and EXP bonus removed from the server. Maybe you should beg for status quo to remain as it has been and you'll see some changes.

Zalaerian
07-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Need more sim pops. We need a shit ton more crowns robes and bunnys

Kergan
07-10-2014, 10:29 AM
In Nihilum's defense they are really good at getting ganked by me, then they accuse me of hacking!

Not even joking man I've seen like 8 of your corpses the last 2 weeks and the only time I've seen you in game you were looting one.

Also you've killed 1 Nihilum member in the past 2 weeks according to the PVP boards.

lite
07-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Mac Drettj
07-10-2014, 10:47 AM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000262591/polls_funny_notice_dumb_people_5827_658374_answer_ 4_xlarge.jpeg

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Not even joking man I've seen like 8 of your corpses the last 2 weeks and the only time I've seen you in game you were looting one.

Also you've killed 1 Nihilum member in the past 2 weeks according to the PVP boards.

^ Nihilum and lies goes together better than PB & J! But whenever you want to avenge your guildmates your welcome to come after me or is talking tough on forums while only logging in for dragon day your thang?

Kergan
07-10-2014, 11:00 AM
^ Nihilum and lies goes together better than PB & J! But whenever you want to avenge your guildmates your welcome to come after me or is talking tough on forums while only logging in for dragon day your thang?

http://r99pvp.com/showplayer.php?p=Syft

6 kills in 2 weeks that's even less than I have.

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Yep totally seeing all those deaths your talking about lmfao, oh yea ya got more on what character?

Kergan
07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Not sure how those corpses got made maybe you died to kobolds in SolB last night or something?

Pudge
07-10-2014, 11:16 AM
i dont see why GMs couldnt try variance on a COUPLE mobs just to see what happens. breathe some new life into the scene just by the fact that it's something different (besides being a good idea already). i'd like to see variance just put in on like 5 mobs. ket's see what happens? maybe we'll see all you non-variance type ppl are right. or maybe the opposite. either way, putting 5 mobs on variance will be GOOD for the server.

what have we got to lose by doing this?

mostbitter
07-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Ya gms why not just toss out changes to the server willy nilly ?

Pudge
07-10-2014, 11:21 AM
willy nilly ?

it's only been discussed for over a year. and implemented on blue already. and a cautious testing of how it goes on only 5 mobs.

yea sounds pretty capricious.

heartbrand
07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
i dont see why GMs couldnt try variance on a COUPLE mobs just to see what happens. breathe some new life into the scene just by the fact that it's something different (besides being a good idea already). i'd like to see variance just put in on like 5 mobs. ket's see what happens? maybe we'll see all you non-variance type ppl are right. or maybe the opposite. either way, putting 5 mobs on variance will be GOOD for the server.

what have we got to lose by doing this?

you dont even play

lite
07-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Kergan
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Just make it your sig instead of reposting the same thing until you get forum banned for the 10th time?

lite
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Just make it your sig instead of reposting the same thing until you get forum banned for the 10th time?

who are you ?

Kergan
07-10-2014, 11:30 AM
The guy you follow around to every post. Guess I'm in your head bro.

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 11:33 AM

So no record of all these deaths I took, and no mention of this "Phantom" character that kills a ton of people?

So once again we have proven your FOS! Good to know!

lite
07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
you and retti literally can't stop following me around the forums. not sure if srs. I only don't reply to him because the guy is literally psychotic, my first encounter with him in teamspeak was him explaining to me that he was acting out because he was having "baby moma drama". Then Northwest filled me in on the rest regarding this guy, and yeah.. def not talking to that dude lol.

Kergan
07-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Cool story bro.

Kergan
07-10-2014, 11:35 AM
So no record of all these deaths I took, and no mention of this "Phantom" character that kills a ton of people?

So once again we have proven your FOS! Good to know!

8 was an exaggeration probably more like 6.

And I hardly kill anyone that is why it's an insult to have less kills than me.

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 11:39 AM
8 was an exaggeration probably more like 6.

And I hardly kill anyone that is why it's an insult to have less kills than me.

So you play on a PvP server, have 400x more playtime than me, fully geared epic'd 60's and less kills than me on all your characters.

And I should be insulted?

Seriously are you fucking retarded? Like really i want to know?

heartbrand
07-10-2014, 11:55 AM
wait, is kergan a nobody who doesn't play, or an immersed neckbeard who is on 24/7?

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
wait, is kergan a nobody who doesn't play, or an immersed neckbeard who is on 24/7?

WORSE! A Nobody neckbeard who's on 24/7

heartbrand
07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
YIKES! Kergan fuckin SUCKS

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
YIKES! Kergan fuckin SUCKS

No he refuses to name any of his characters on the forums because of his stellar number of accomplishments LOL!

http://img.pandawhale.com/85310-Im-not-ashamed-of-who-I-am-gif-OcHu.gif

Zalaerian
07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Wait no one knows Kergans in game name? Chortling hard. Pras amigo for hiding in plain sight

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Wait no one knows Kergans in game name? Chortling hard. Pras amigo for hiding in plain sight

I know quite a few of his characters, all nobodies.

Do you always say dumb shit?

Because so far your dumbshit to coherent ratio is all jacked up!

heartbrand
07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I mean Syft, you're one of the top badasses on the server and known Lord of PVP, so if you know this Kergan guy and MULTIPLE variations of his characters, he must be pretty damn important. Someone like you wouldn't have the time to know nobodies, u feel?

Zalaerian
07-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Syft anytime you want a shot at the belt u let me know pal

India
07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Because so far your dumbshit to coherent ratio is all jacked up!

Let's talk about VMs, VPNs and IPs!

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I mean Syft, you're one of the top badasses on the server and known Lord of PVP, so if you know this Kergan guy and MULTIPLE variations of his characters, he must be pretty damn important. Someone like you wouldn't have the time to know nobodies, u feel?

Nope just got a ton of Spies in Nihilum!

Keep buying those shiny brass idols tard your gonna need um! title-belt lmfao I'd bitchslap you while watching GOT reruns!

Mac Drettj
07-10-2014, 01:24 PM
you and retti literally can't stop following me around the forums. not sure if srs. I only don't reply to him because the guy is literally psychotic, my first encounter with him in teamspeak was him explaining to me that he was acting out because he was having "baby moma drama". Then Northwest filled me in on the rest regarding this guy, and yeah.. def not talking to that dude lol.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/tag_traumer/17424921/17928/17928_original.gif

Tradesonred
07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Oh yea guys? OH YEA?!?!

http://regularhealthycompetition.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Kool-Aid-Man-Oh-Yeah.jpg

Kergan
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't even try to hide who I am, and it's even been posted who I play. Maybe not all my alts and stuff though.

I like leveling up, call it a sickness. Working on my ranger now, level 19 decked out with fungus, FBH, CoF, etc! Gotta make it as ez mode as possible nameen. Can you get epics at lvl 19?

Colgate
07-10-2014, 02:19 PM
sickness indeed

Sheriff
07-10-2014, 02:22 PM

To be the man, you got to beat the man! Woooooooooooooooo!

Kergan
07-10-2014, 02:23 PM
sickness indeed

Colgate want to ride this exp train on a new anon character you can app Nihilum with to see the end game? I'll vouch for you same as I did with HB!

Syft 2.0
07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't even try to hide who I am, and it's even been posted who I play. Maybe not all my alts and stuff though.

I like leveling up, call it a sickness. Working on my ranger now, level 19 decked out with fungus, FBH, CoF, etc! Gotta make it as ez mode as possible nameen. Can you get epics at lvl 19?

sickness indeed

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs7/2602285_o.gif

LostCause
07-10-2014, 07:28 PM
day 411

Drakaris
07-10-2014, 09:45 PM

If he was a pvp 'badass' he would have killed my necro who was afk by doing the smart thing (opening up with a pell bomb) followed by nukes.. bad players who think they are pro will always be bad...

Opening up with a partially resisted ice commet and a lure is not a smart move... even if he did get me down to 50% before I started casting...

Sweetbaby Jesus
07-11-2014, 12:14 AM
The fuck are you trying to do salty? Lol

Kergan
07-11-2014, 12:54 AM
Something is afoot!

Colgate
07-11-2014, 12:56 AM
ʎʇןɐs sɐɹd

Tradesonred
07-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Thats how you get syft to stop posting on the forums

A tad excessive maybe, but hey

Syft 2.0
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM
If he was a pvp 'badass' he would have killed my necro who was afk by doing the smart thing (opening up with a pell bomb) followed by nukes.. bad players who think they are pro will always be bad...

Opening up with a partially resisted ice commet and a lure is not a smart move... even if he did get me down to 50% before I started casting...

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqg30vBrtu1qmqr2ho1_500.gif

But in game...

http://images.rapgenius.com/1dzm0kngpgq6g882e2y6atbtu.491x324x3.gif

http://i.imgur.com/VYGKHzl.gif

Concave
07-14-2014, 05:06 AM
I like this idea. It undermines pre-established gear advantage and levels, and generates incentive for folks who aren't presently dominant, to stay on and watch for mobs and such. Tough to dispute the value of that.

Tradesonred
07-14-2014, 06:20 PM
See, remove all the penises, syft is back