PDA

View Full Version : Why eq was/is the best mmo ever (so far), that ive played at least

Sareil
08-26-2010, 04:54 AM
EQ was tough, even when I started, which was PoP, but I always met cool people. Like, really cool people. Sure there were douches or idiots, but typically they were decent, rad, intelligent people. My thoughts on why other MMOs failed to hold me:

WoW: Too easy. Too boring. The story and sights were kind of interesting but... I could solo the whole game; so could everyone else. I think I grouped a handful of times during my entire time playing, and I played till lvl 40, this was before the first expansion (whatever the fuck that was).

EVE: I wanted so much to love this game. I am a sci-fi person heart and soul. The way they integrated pvp and carebears was just too damn good. It is actually so well put together its insane, pvp/carebear/tradeskilling/wtfever fits together in magical way. But it was just plain boring. I can't put my finger on why, it just made me fall asleep. Even the story was well thought out.

LotRo: This I thought had a lot of promise, but I realized quickly after I started that seeing the sights of LOTR, wasnt the same as experiencing them in the books. Nuff said.

EQ2: This was probably the only other MMO that held a candle to EQ, imo. I played a Defiler, which I thought was one of the most interesting classes in the game and was one of the most unique classes Ive ever played. And seeing everything felt magical, but the breakdown of the classes and the way they split it between good/evil into equal/opposite really left something to be desired. Still a good game (at least the last time I played, heard this isn't so atm).

EQ: What can I say, its the only game I ever fell into enough to make it to the really high end. Progressing from raiding Velious all the way through VT and into PoP (got about halfway through the progression I think?" and finally quit a few months after GoD. The people, the places, the everything about eq just grabbed me and held me until it got annoying. Sadly, every other game decided to follow the bad parts of eq and leave the great parts behind.

But I still remember what made it great.

Later guys!

Straif
08-26-2010, 09:56 AM
EQ was a lot of peoples first MMO. I personally feel that once a person has invested so much time and money into a game it's hard to stray away from it.

Everquest provided a magical experience back in the day. Most people will always compare a new game they play to old school EQ. It's probably why so many games fall sort of people's expectations (if they aren't completely horrible to begin with).

I often question if there will ever be a game that will instill that magical feeling I got when playing EQ. Sadly I don't think there will but only time will tell.

Only games to truly captivated me:
Everquest
Everquest II
Ultima Online

guineapig
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Nothing was given to you in EQ. Everything had to be earned.

I think that sums it up pretty nicely.

Dac321
08-26-2010, 10:01 AM
EVE is extremely boring..

I hated WoW.. to me that was more of a grind then EQ. I hated those stupid turn in quests to level. The game wasn't community driven.

Phallax
08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
EQ was a lot of peoples first MMO. I personally feel that once a person has invested so much time and money into a game it's hard to stray away from it.

Everquest provided a magical experience back in the day. Most people will always compare a new game they play to old school EQ. It's probably why so many games fall sort of people's expectations (if they aren't completely horrible to begin with).

I often question if there will ever be a game that will instill that magical feeling I got when playing EQ. Sadly I don't think there will but only time will tell.

Only games to truly captivated me:
Everquest
Everquest II
Ultima Online

Agree 100% here.

Only played EQ2 for like a week, as I was still heavy into raiding on 1, so cant really say how good it is/was. But EQ1 and UO will forever be 2 of my fave all times games. So much so that I play an Emu for them both, both focused around the time I enjoyed the most.

WoW had great ideas and is overall a great game, imo. But its starting to cater far to much to the casual gamer and getting worse and worse with each expansion. Pre-TBC, WoW was awesome. But just as what EQ did that started destroying it, WoW is doing/has done by shrinking the required raid numbers for raid targets.

I hated WoW.. to me that was more of a grind then EQ. I hated those stupid turn in quests to level. The game wasn't community driven.

At least you were forced to quest and learn about the game though. EverQuest....I mean come on the title has the word 'quest' in it and at no time are you forced to 'quest' to gain the highest level.

OngorDrakan
08-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I never played UO but wanted to. Could you suggest a good server to play on?

Loquan
08-26-2010, 10:28 AM

http://www.uoex.net/ freeshards is the way to go!

Or http://www.pandorauo.com/ , but i like excelsior better.

Phallax
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM

http://www.uosecondage.com/ is the emu I play on, can DL the client there. But keep in mind this is based around the T2A era and its pretty lethal. Make friends as quick as possible because once you venture outside of town chances are youre gonna get PKed. PvP in UO is some of the best if not THE best of all MMOs and the players on this server are as legit as they can be. Razor kind of ruins the nostalgia of the era but you have to use it to be able to play on an Emu afaik.

jyaku
08-26-2010, 11:37 AM
ABCUO.com (http://www.abcuo.com) that's the freeshard i played on. i think that PVP in UO is a bit one sided, if your the one with the better equipment your going to win. does'nt matter what stats the other guy has. and i'v found that alot of PK's in uo have ghost alts sitting in the high end dungeons so they know when someone enters so they can run up while your fighting something and gank you

Phallax
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
ABCUO.com (http://www.abcuo.com) that's the freeshard i played on. i think that PVP in UO is a bit one sided, if your the one with the better equipment your going to win. does'nt matter what stats the other guy has. and i'v found that alot of PK's in uo have ghost alts sitting in the high end dungeons so they know when someone enters so they can run up while your fighting something and gank you

maybe now sure, but back in the day, like the server i play on, most players have all the same gear equivalent so it comes down to skill...its still way better than pvp being based on class vs class + gear vs gear and having skill not be as much as a factor like all MMOs are now

Overcast
08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Nothing was given to you in EQ. Everything had to be earned.

I think that sums it up pretty nicely.

It's not just that either. With the death penalties, you had to be cautious about where you went and what you did - even a whole guild did.

Even if you know the game well, going to a raid fight being a bit short on people brings up a risk. Whereas in other games with 'soul rezzers' - the risk is pretty much nothing - short of a 'little' time and some coin.

EQ's death risk could be a LOT of time and a LOT of coin, if you needed a Necro to summon you, assuming you could find one who was willing.

And yes - the penalty for 'failure' in a game or anything can change the overall difficulty DRAMATICALLY.

Sareil
08-27-2010, 05:06 AM
I just like (and hated sometimes, lets be honest) how much you pretty much have to group in eq.

tdon14
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Did anybody ever play this MMO by Sierra called "The Realm"? That was my first MMO of any kind, and a rather fun game too. I think it got bought out by some small gaming company and can still be played too.