PDA

View Full Version : patch problems.

aamok
06-24-2014, 10:15 PM
haven't been able to get into p99 since today's patch. saying my spell file is out of date at char select even after extracting the patch files to my eq directory.

i tried a fresh install, deleted the files i'm supposed to, downloaded the v33 patch and extracted it to my eq directory... wont launch from launch titanium saying "cannot find 'eqgame'"

so i made a shortcut for eqgame and added "patchme" after it's location in properties as i had when i originally set up my p99 eq... now it launches eq, but i get stuck with the same error at character select.

any advice would be appreciated!

Tewaz
06-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Don't extract the file as a whole, but extract every individual file. Start by extracting the files not in folders, then open the folders in your EQ Directory and copy the files out of the download into them one at a time.

aamok
06-25-2014, 01:53 AM
ya i saw that worked for an earlier guy and decided to try doing them individually.. still have the same error. idk what's up.

aamok
06-25-2014, 03:44 PM
i keep reinstalling to my c:\everquest directory and keep rextracting the patch. i've made sure to extract manually as well, still getting the same error at character select... blahhh... i have no idea what to do at this point.

aamok
06-26-2014, 01:30 AM
still cant get past login screen. still says spell file not up to date.

heeeeelp </3

Ambrotos
06-26-2014, 01:54 AM
I just installed the patch a few hours ago.

I run Windows 7.

First step just download the patch. Open up winrar or whatever you use.

Second step extract it to everquest folder. Make sure you have admin rights to it. Make sure the folder is highlighted.

This worked for me right away. Nothing special I had to do.

aamok
06-26-2014, 05:58 AM
yeah, that's exactly what i did but still no dice.

i use winrar just like you. i have admin rights to it. only difference is i use windows 8.

i even have eq in my c:\everquest file as intended.

i've done a brand new install of everquest as well as the patch 3 times now. boggles my brain.

myriverse
06-26-2014, 07:13 AM
20 times a week the game lies to me and tells me my spell files are out of date.

Olidaen_Delacroix
06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
You have to install Everquest on C:/. Not in Program Files.

Your Everquest install folder should be C:/Everquest.

This worked for me at least. (PS : i disabled UAC too)

India
06-26-2014, 09:26 AM
yeah, that's exactly what i did but still no dice.

i use winrar just like you. i have admin rights to it. only difference is i use windows 8.

i even have eq in my c:\everquest file as intended.

i've done a brand new install of everquest as well as the patch 3 times now. boggles my brain.

I have Windows 8 too... I like it but it's buggy or maybe I should say "different"

I did discover that if I'm logged in as admin I cannot actually download files. After searching MS help and other forums I found the following info which addressed the problem.

I had to create a separate user account, give that account admin permissions, and then login under that account to download and install the patch.

I guess what I'm getting at is, are you positive that Win8 is letting you copy over those files?

Olidaen_Delacroix
06-26-2014, 10:05 AM
I have Windows 8 too... I like it but it's buggy or maybe I should say "different"

I did discover that if I'm logged in as admin I cannot actually download files. After searching MS help and other forums I found the following info which addressed the problem.

I had to create a separate user account, give that account admin permissions, and then login under that account to download and install the patch.

I guess what I'm getting at is, are you positive that Win8 is letting you copy over those files?

Yes it is the same on Win 7 lol... fuck MS and their "different" attitude

aamok
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
yeah good idea india, i'm gonna try making a new user account.

i am positive it let me copy the files though. the first time i tried i let winrar extract the whole thing, then the second time i manually extracted each file.

@olidaen yep! it's for sure in c:\everquest

aamok
06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
blahhhhh i cant get an effing break.

so i made a new user and made sure it had admin. reinstalled eq fresh to c:\everquest, then extracted the new patch to that same directory. afterwards i made a shortcut to eqgame.exe and added "patchme"

i must say i have no idea how to resolve this and am super frustrated. ive also disabled my firewall, opened all my ports, disabled my antivirus software... idk what could be giving me grief.

is there a copy of the spell file that the login screen is complaining about that i can edit/replace? is there something i'm doing wrong or missing?

India
06-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Here's another idea, which has worked for a few people

First make sure you are using the most recent patch - P99files33.zip

Then try deleting these files and then re-extracting them from the V33 patch file

dbstr_us.txt
spells_us.txt
spellsnew.edd
spellsnew.eff

aamok
06-26-2014, 06:21 PM
kk good idea ty

aamok
06-26-2014, 06:27 PM
awww didn't work. deleted the above 4 files and re-extracted them one at a time from the patch.

India
06-26-2014, 06:31 PM
My last suggestion - did you go thru the stickies at the top of this forum. They have step by step instructions and perhaps, just maybe, one of the steps was missed?

Also maybe try Duxa's installer/updater thingy? I've never used it but a lot of people have had great success with it

I'm out of ideas :( Sorry I know it's frustrating not being able to play when you want to

aamok
06-26-2014, 09:24 PM
naw its cool. i appreciate all your efforts for real <3

aamok
06-26-2014, 09:38 PM
awww
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6607181/Duxa%27s%20All%20In%20One%20Installer/Duxa%27s%20All%20In%20One%20Installer%20v0.16.exe

This file is no longer available. For additional information contact Dropbox Support.

aamok
06-27-2014, 07:45 PM
tried installing on my wife's computer today. same thing, still says spell file isn't up to date. i'm completely boggled.. think i'll have to throw in the towel. bloody shame, been so much work to get where i'm at.

i'll get a buddy of mine to donate my gear/wealth to friendly faces we know.

Jws2886
06-28-2014, 03:03 AM
I am having the same Issue right now

Naprox
06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
My game worked fine yesterday. Try to log in today and the dsetup.dll file is missing. when I try to reinstall it from the patch it doesn't seem to install that device library loader file.

I gone back and reinstalled the game, which works but blank character screen due to not having the new V33 patch installed yet. However, when I install the V33 patch, the dsetup.dll file vanishes from the directory after unzipping it into the everquest folder.

Any thoughts about this dilemma?

India
06-28-2014, 12:08 PM
tried installing on my wife's computer today. same thing, still says spell file isn't up to date. i'm completely boggled.. think i'll have to throw in the towel. bloody shame, been so much work to get where i'm at.

i'll get a buddy of mine to donate my gear/wealth to friendly faces we know.

Don't give up, there has to be a way!!
Maybe someone who is better at this install stuff can assist via screenshare or something..

Naprox
06-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Ok, I don't know wtf to do about this. Completely uninstalled and reinstalled, removed appropriate files, patched v33 files. Still same results. DSETUP.dll file cannot be found. Upon Scanning the v33 patch I find that the DSETUP.dll file is Malware@#2ijvrlcad4aj2.

What gives?

Seems that my character UI files got corrupted somehow. No idea what could have caused this, but after reinstalling and trying to reuse the character ui files I got the same problems so I just removed the UI files for each of my characters and now it runs fine. I just have to rebuild the ui for each character which is annoying, but better than not being able to play.

Thx for the help.

India
06-28-2014, 02:16 PM
If your anti-virus is detecting the dll as a virus, it's cleaning it up automatically every time you put it back on your system.

Try disabling your anti-virus, reinstall the patch and then try to play and see if that works

Naprox
06-28-2014, 02:21 PM
If your anti-virus is detecting the dll as a virus, it's cleaning it up automatically every time you put it back on your system.

Try disabling your anti-virus, reinstall the patch and then try to play and see if that works

You sir, are a genius ;)

India
06-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Girl, you are a genius!! ;)

fixed;)

ABlaine
07-05-2014, 10:40 PM

you are correct that win8 wont let you just run things with admin access, but im not sure that you have to go through setting up a seprate account to get it.
i have found that you can simply right-click on the program that you want to have admin access and choose the run as admin option.
the down side being that you have to do this every time

India
07-07-2014, 08:20 AM
you are correct that win8 wont let you just run things with admin access, but im not sure that you have to go through setting up a seprate account to get it.
i have found that you can simply right-click on the program that you want to have admin access and choose the run as admin option.
the down side being that you have to do this every time

I can run things as admin, when logged in as admin or a user with admin rights.

I cannot download anything as admin. That's where the additional account comes in. It's a known issues or "feature" with Win 8 and quite frankly, sucks

aamok
10-05-2014, 02:30 PM
ahaaaaa! i have found resolution.. lol.. months later.

i decided to take a stab at fixing this and set it up from scratch again. i encountered the same problems as before.

i decided to go looking for new titanium ISOs and found them easy enough. i mounted and installed these, patched and bam! works fine! :D

so what was actually going on is there was some issue with the files i had before. curiously, my buddy uses the same ones without issue *shrug*

specifically they were from caseyEQ on some forum or another. the convenience of these files was that there was no need to install as it was a complete directory.. you just had to add the patch. however, this stopped working at v33.

anyways, if anyone runs across this sort of spell file shenanigans and nothing else will fix it... it might be worth finding out if you used an already complete titanium directory or actually installed from mounted ISOs (or physical cds if you have that sort of thing.)

cheers! thx for all the help to those who tried.