PDA

View Full Version : Question on resists

PixelFrenzy
06-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Besides MR. When is it worth putting resists as a priority over hp?

Example, I could have 90 cold and 100 fire resists but lose a couple hundred hp from gear. I know end game I'll be eating lures so resists wont matter but it could save me from ..... druids?

Just curious as I've heard conflicting stories here and have done some testing at 100FR/CR but it seems to be so random I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Would appreciate any educated feedback.

Kergan
06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Look up posts by 'Alecta' and you'll find information on the resist curve. Off the top of my head I think the break point is around 140-160 in a particular resist.

Don't assume you'll only be eating lures at a high level, only one class can cast those. :)

It also depends on your class. I tend to stack a lot more MR on my rogue as I do on my shaman for example, as a melee snared/rooted is worthless but a shaman still can do things.

Cid
06-24-2014, 10:11 AM
If you are a caster, keeping gate memmed on your spell bar will probably save your life a whole lot more than a few more resists at the cost of hp.
If you are a melee, lots of MR is the priority for the reasons Kergan listed. Even then there are a lot of unresistable spells or ones with enormous negative resist checks. Druid magic dots and several chanter spells are unresistable as is the necro dot Splurt.
All other necro lifetaps and lifetap dots have a -200 MR check before landing and their fire dots have a -100 FR check.

Fire would still be the second priority until the mid-50s when several classes get powerful Cold spells. How much gear and hp you want to lose for FR and CR is up to you, but I wouldn't go nuts. Resists MAY help you out whereas the hp will always help out.
A Froglok Crown would help a lot, and if you're an iksar and can use Stone of Morid you can get 50 FR and 50 CR from two items; 20 from Crown and 30 from Stone.
Wiki has a resist gear link on it for finding them. I don't think it's close to fully comprehensive but it has a lot of them.

Kergan
06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Iksar so op'd cause of that stone! Eventually other races can use though get one of 'em stashed. :)

HippoNipple
06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Don't worry about fire/cold resists when leveling up. Magic resist and HP all the way while leveling up. Try to get at least 80 MR.

Colgate
06-24-2014, 10:57 AM
cold/fire doesn't seem to matter much until you get them to around 120-140+, so don't bother unless you can get that while maintaining 125+ MR unbuffed

don't expect the resist code to be anything like live

PixelFrenzy
06-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Hmmm ok thanks.

I had a bard cast his buffs on me and got my resists to like 160 each, but still ate full damage from draught spells casted from a volunteer wizard almost every time so I was wondering when they became effective.

Granted I think the wizard was 10 lvls or so higher than me, I'm not sure if this makes a difference?

Kergan
06-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Level does make a difference, 10 would make a large difference.

HippoNipple
06-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Hmmm ok thanks.

I had a bard cast his buffs on me and got my resists to like 160 each, but still ate full damage from draught spells casted from a volunteer wizard almost every time so I was wondering when they became effective.

Granted I think the wizard was 10 lvls or so higher than me, I'm not sure if this makes a difference?

This server has high DPS compared to classic. Melee and casters do more damage. Magic resist is a must even though it takes more to be effective but giving up a lot of HP for fire/cold doesn't seem worth it. You will just leave yourself open to all the other DPS out there.

Unless you can be fully buffed and know exactly who you are fighting don't worry too much about it. Reserve that gear for PvE or the off chance you know exactly who your opponent is.

Kergan
06-24-2014, 11:20 AM
We'll see what happens with the melee damage post patch. There was something in there about AC changing right? I wouldn't call melee damage high on high AC targets here, trying to melee down an iksar monk as a rogue is fucking frustrating as hell. Miss, Block, Dodge, 7 damage, Miss, 22 damage, Block, Miss, Miss, 18 damage, Block, Dodge, Miss, 6 damage...

Genedin
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
"Fixes for AC being low"

Wish we could get some more details for this.

I remember playing a shaman in classic Ralloz Zek and I would NOT fucking die to a ranger in a short span. I distinctly recall tanking two rangers for a while and not getting killed.
This server if you are not wearing plate you might as well be naked cause you are taking 80% and above hits every time it seems. Would love to see AC be more effective in general.

HippoNipple
06-24-2014, 11:28 AM
We'll see what happens with the melee damage post patch. There was something in there about AC changing right? I wouldn't call melee damage high on high AC targets here, trying to melee down an iksar monk as a rogue is fucking frustrating as hell. Miss, Block, Dodge, 7 damage, Miss, 22 damage, Block, Miss, Miss, 18 damage, Block, Dodge, Miss, 6 damage...

Yeah but that Monk having an extra 200 hps is probably worth leaving the fire/cold alone unless they can easily get over 200 resist. HP is universal and essentially turns one backstab, crippling blow, draught, etc. into a partial vs a small chance one fire/cold nuke will be partialed which if the other player is smart will switch to a lure afterwards anyways.

I guess if you are fighting a mage go for it.

Colgate
06-24-2014, 11:59 AM
blind poison landed, Miss, Block, Dodge, 7 damage, Miss, 650 damage backstab, 22 damage, Block, Miss, Miss, 18 damage, Block, Dodge, duelist 1800 damage backstab, Miss, 6 damage...

fixed

PixelFrenzy
06-24-2014, 12:18 PM
To expand on this.

Bards get resist song, so if you know you are in mass pvp or fighting caster you would potentially play that or range casts?

Wouldn't your real enemy be rogue poison/shaman dots, other bards

would stacking PR and MR make the most sense? seems like the case

Colgate
06-24-2014, 12:20 PM
no, cure disease/poison potions aren't very expensive and a bard can use those while running

HippoNipple
06-24-2014, 12:21 PM
To expand on this.

Bards get resist song, so if you know you are in mass pvp or fighting caster you would potentially play that or range casts?

Wouldn't your real enemy be rogue poison/shaman dots, other bards

would stacking PR and MR make the most sense? seems like the case

Nothing mentioned pertains to a bard. If you are a bard and a wizard is casting no, you don't want to just stand there with 200+ resists and take it. Go out of range.

PixelFrenzy
06-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Ok, thanks again all.

Kergan
06-24-2014, 12:47 PM
fixed

Naw.

Galacticus
06-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Is 200 resist to MR/FR/CR even a possible scenario for a melee without full buffs?

What does it take? Full VP gear?

Colgate
06-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Is 200 resist to MR/FR/CR even a possible scenario for a melee without full buffs?

What does it take? Full VP gear?

warriors and rogues don't have that hard of a time getting to 200+ MR unbuffed

any plate wearing class can get 200+ fire or close with ragefire armor

my monk can get over 200 fire resist unbuffed while maintaining i think 111 MR? my cold gets up to like 137 or something, still missing sky shoulders, grey suede boots