PDA

View Full Version : nvidia driver constantly crashing and recovering.

Zade
06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Need some help here from some community tech gurus please!

I just completed a new install, and having some major play issues. My vid card drivers are repeatedly crashing and recovering. The game will freeze off and on for a bit before the drivers go down. I've exhausted my options. I've done everything from uninstalling and reinstalling, installing older versions, uninstalling the "Nvidia Experience" bullshit, etc.

This video card was used in my old PC and it is the only thing I carried over to the new PC. Never had this problem prior to the new build, so I'm thinking there is some other issue I'm missing. Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful. Been scouring tom;s hardware forums all day.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 4430
RAM 8gb Kingston 1330 DDR3
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
Vid Card: Nvidia GTX 660
PSU Seasonic 620w bronze

Ambrotos
06-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Use a different video card and see if that one has the same issues noob.

Ambrotos
06-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Well, after looking into it more I would say your Intel HD inter-graded video card is messing with your Nvida. Had the same issue with my i7/nvida video card.

I just disabled the Intel video card. You should be able to do it in bios.

Also have you check for updates for your motherboard bios?

Zade
06-15-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't have another vid card to check it with. I will try to disable the intel driver and check that out. MB drivers are up to date. thanks

Ambrotos
06-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Naw, disable the intel HD in the bios. Don't need to disable the drivers for it.

Zade
06-15-2014, 03:23 PM
A+ fix on that intel fix. disabled it and have been running steady and uninterrupted. and hurb, u jelly

BlkCamel
06-15-2014, 03:46 PM
good deal, other suggestion I was going to make was. Reseed the video card. sometimes when rebuilding we aren't careful enough when reseeding. My ram stick had an issue because 1 end wasn't pushed down just enough.

MilanderTruewield
06-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Reseat.

Question. I have a Alienware 17 laptop, which has both an intel vid card AND a NVidia vid card. I *think* the intel card is causing an issue with graphics on p99 (although, live runs smooth as silk). Would disabling the intel in bios be a recommended fix? I ask this because I was troubleshooting the issue when it WASN'T working with live, and disabled the intel graphics card in device manager, which promptly caused all graphics to go out. I hooked it up to an external monitor, nothing. I ended up having to boot into the diagnostics tool in order to get graphics up again.

I set p99 up on my laptop the exact same way as I did on my Dell Studio XPS 435t and the problem I am running into is that I can run the program in either full screen or windowed, and any time I window out, the graphics driver fails (resetdevice failed). I run EQ in Borderless Gaming (which just stretches the screen so it appears that the game is actually running in full screen, but allows me to alt-tab out without the resetdevice failed error). In all of these cases, when I do finally get to the character select screen, it's semi pixelated with black pixels all over random areas of the screen. It is still playable to an extent, until some random time after logging in when the entire screen goes black.

I'm only assuming it's a problem with having 2 GPU's, but I'm out of my depth here. It's been years since I've built a computer, and when I did it didn't use more than 1 GPU.

Ambrotos
06-15-2014, 10:55 PM
I have a Alienware m17x3.

On mine I wasn't able to turn off the Intel HD gpu. I had to download special bios to access it. You might be able to in your bios if your's is a newer one than mine.

I did this. Make sure you don't have to.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/615105-guide-disabling-m17x-r3-igp.html

MilanderTruewield
06-15-2014, 11:05 PM
I bought mine about 4 months ago, straight from Dell.

Ambrotos
06-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Check in your bios if you can turn off Hd Intel card and make the nivida the only one. If you can't check out the link in my last post.