PDA

View Full Version : New Enchanter

jojober
06-13-2014, 10:43 PM
I played around on this server about a year ago (actually, weirdly enough, my last forum log in was exactly a year ago to the day!) as a cleric. I kind of had a hard time finding groups a lot of the time or competing with super twinked out characters. As such, I'm really interested in trying out an Enchanter.

I love love group play - this is, in my opinion, what an MMO is all about, and I know at least back in the day on live, Enchanters were wanted for grouping. But I'm also quite aware of how efficient they are at solo play. My question though, is it feasible to start as a fresh (non-twink at all) Enchanter and be able to solo? If so, I'm most familiar with areas around Kelethin/Felwithe, but I'm thinking I might want to be a dark elf this go around - would this be a decent option for early leveling? Thanks in advance, I am quite thrilled to get back into the world!

Tecmos Deception
06-13-2014, 10:53 PM
My question though, is it feasible to start as a fresh (non-twink at all) Enchanter and be able to solo? If so, I'm most familiar with areas around Kelethin/Felwithe, but I'm thinking I might want to be a dark elf this go around - would this be a decent option for early leveling? Thanks in advance, I am quite thrilled to get back into the world!

Yes. I was actually pretty surprised how well charm worked already by 16 when I started using it on my enchanter on red. He had max high-elf starting charisma but no charisma gear at the time. I'm not really sure how big of a difference 30-40 charisma at low levels really will be for your charms... probably staying on top of roots and keeping max distance from stuff so you can handle charm breaks without getting beat on and such will make more of a difference.

Porcoa
06-14-2014, 09:30 AM
I would say go for it. Enchanter was the first toon I made on p99 and I didn't have much trouble leveling up with no gear. I solo'd off and on the entire time.

Also, CHA gear is cheap. So you can start getting items fairly early on.

Liegezen
06-14-2014, 01:33 PM
My chanter on red is 55 and i never bought one piece of gear untill 54, and it was an item i could have farmed for myself.

I will say, when you get in the 30's or so, go farm a goblin gazugi ring. For leveling, it is probably one of the most useful clickies you will ever own. Tecmos also wrote out a pretty pimp little guide, i suggest giving it a read.

jojober
06-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Awesome I am glad to hear that this is feasible. I can't wait to get started. I appreciate the replies and the suggestions!

Ando
06-14-2014, 05:36 PM
I will say, when you get in the 30's or so, go farm a goblin gazugi ring. For leveling, it is probably one of the most useful clickies you will ever own.

The item is mostly unnecessary if he is going Dark Elf. Hide doesn't always work but it works often enough.

Also, a commonly unknown fact is that strip enchantment can be used to remove charm on your pet.

Porcoa
06-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Also, a commonly unknown fact is that strip enchantment can be used to remove charm on your pet.

It can be a pain in the ass at later levels trying to do this, if your pet was buffed to hell from caster mobs.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
06-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Probably one of the easiest classes to start out naked on.

I did it on red and I've only bought 1 item. I'm now 55 and gear is flowing like water.

Protip: the cheapest clicky you can acquire for global cooldown is your Rod of Insidious Glamour. The quest can be done at 29 solo.

jojober
06-15-2014, 03:26 AM
I've seen a few posts throughout the forums about using a clicky for global cool down, but i've got to be honest I don't really know what that means. I know what GCD is, but I'm not sure what clicky has to do with it??

Porcoa
06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
A clicky will reset the GCD counter, so you dont have to wait 2seconds or whatevet it is betweeen casts.

jojober
06-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Ohhhh fancy! And that's not a bug or something i can get in trouble for? That could help in a pinch! That 2 seconds is forever when it goes bad haha.

Daldaen
06-15-2014, 11:24 AM
It won't help to allow you to chain cast the same spell. Since all spells have a fixed cool down, many of those are equivalent to the global cool down (Ie you don't notice unless you are using that exploit)

So you can't use it to cast Tashan and Tashan. But you can use it to cast Tashan and Mesmerize. Or Tashan and Tashania.

Which is why having 2 roots up or 2 mezzes up is helpful, you can chain fire them that way with no downtime and much more quickly secure a room break.

Tecmos Deception
06-15-2014, 11:45 AM
It won't help to allow you to chain cast the same spell. Since all spells have a fixed cool down, many of those are equivalent to the global cool down (Ie you don't notice unless you are using that exploit)

So you can't use it to cast Tashan and Tashan. But you can use it to cast Tashan and Mesmerize. Or Tashan and Tashania.

Which is why having 2 roots up or 2 mezzes up is helpful, you can chain fire them that way with no downtime and much more quickly secure a room break.

You CAN chain cast some spells. It depends on the cast time and recast time of the spell in question.

For example: Root has a 2.0-second cast and a 2.25-second recast. These timers both start to run when you begin casting Root. If you use a clicky immediately after Root finishes, you still have a short delay before the recast time is met, so you can't QUITE chain cast Root. Paralyzing Earth, though, has a 2.5-second cast and 2.5-second recast. So you can clicky + start another PE right away.

MOST spells do have a longer recast time than cast time though, even if it is just a second or so like with all of the mez spells, most of the roots, etc.

Tecmos Deception
06-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Hmm. I may be wrong though. This ^ seems to apply when looking at roots and the cast and recast times on the wiki and thinking about my experience with roots + clickies on my chanter. But I just looked at mez spells on the wiki and they don't add up to my experience ingame.

Mesmerize, the level 4 chanter mez, cannot be chaincast ingame, though the wiki says it should be. I'm not sure if the wiki numbers are incorrect or if things are working differently ingame than I thought they were or what.

jojober
06-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Either way, it sounds pretty neat! Will be a while before I'm at the point of being able to use a clicky, but i'm sure it will be handy once I do! I had a level 5 enchanter (high elf) that I forgot I had started, so I went with him rather than starting over with Dark Elf. I think I just am more comfortable on this side of the world. Hope to see some of you helpful advice guys in game!

Liegezen
06-15-2014, 05:45 PM
The item is mostly unnecessary if he is going Dark Elf. Hide doesn't always work but it works often enough.

Hide is very unreliable if you want to get the mobs down to a one nuke death.

Strip enchantment takes a spell slot, which to me is just extremely annoying. Not to mention if the mob has any previous buffs, you have to dispell those first which may end up taking more casts.

More mana used per pull = less mobs you can kill before you need to med.

Get a ring. Even if you decide you don't like it, or out grow it, it's still a 6-8k item that holds its value pretty decently.

jojober
06-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Get a ring. Even if you decide you don't like it, or out grow it, it's still a 6-8k item that holds its value pretty decently.

I definitely will once I'm big enough to farm for one. It sounds like a fun little tool!

~Chilandril

Tecmos Deception
06-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah don't listen to ando. Racial hide is MAYBE 1 success in 3. That's FAR from ideal if you're trying to break charm with a mob low enough to finish with 1 nuke, especially if you try to finish them off without your max-level nuke.

Also, strip enchantment is the wrong one to use. Taper is what you'd use to dispel a charm from a pet, since it casts faster and costs much less mana. If you're going to use strip, you might as well be casting invis or IVU on yourself, since strip takes 3.5 to cast and costs 70 mana.

Uteunayr
06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Is there any consensus race wise? I went with High Elf for the naturally higher charisma, but the toon is still lower level. So much of it, at least for my three necromancers, is contingent upon the higher end gear of the class, and when it comes to that for enchanter, I have very little knowledge.

Porcoa
06-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Is there any consensus race wise? I went with High Elf for the naturally higher charisma, but the toon is still lower level. So much of it, at least for my three necromancers, is contingent upon the higher end gear of the class, and when it comes to that for enchanter, I have very little knowledge.

gnome is love, gnome is life

Tewaz
06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Where is the link to Tecomos guide? I need to camp this on Red99.