PDA

View Full Version : thermal paste

blondeattk
06-13-2014, 09:41 AM
having some overheating problems with current pc, so might build one that bigger with better cooling.

Was looking at thermal paste on ebay, and there is quite a range to choose from.

Any tips on what not to go for? Does it matter if its silver white or made from yak excrament?

advice appreciated )

sadly all the local comp shops have gone bust in the recession, so no one local to ask.

Beldon
06-13-2014, 10:02 AM
I usually stick with Arctic Silver. Never had any issues with it.

RAGN
06-13-2014, 10:03 AM
I usually stick with Arctic Silver. Never had any issues with it.

fishingme
06-13-2014, 10:05 AM
I use silver, never had a problem with it. Try to blow out your computer with compressed air can or air compressor, perhaps it's just dusty inside. May want to make sure that it's your cpu that's overheating, can download a monitor program like pcu wizard, checks psu and cpu fan. May just be as simple as replacing a fan, probably wouldn't hurt to go to a pc store to pick up a $2.50 thing of thermal paste, clean off your cpu/heatsink with rubbing alcohol and apply some on.

blondeattk
06-13-2014, 10:13 AM
I use silver, never had a problem with it. Try to blow out your computer with compressed air can or air compressor, perhaps it's just dusty inside. May want to make sure that it's your cpu that's overheating, can download a monitor program like pcu wizard, checks psu and cpu fan. May just be as simple as replacing a fan, probably wouldn't hurt to go to a pc store to pick up a $2.50 thing of thermal paste, clean off your cpu/heatsink with rubbing alcohol and apply some on.

err present pc:

AMD Sempron, 1.9 ghz 1.5 gig ram, it boots from an ide hdd !! agp gfx card

thinkits time i built a new one..