PDA

View Full Version : Circlet of Shadow

rubicaant
06-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the server, and having an absolute blast. I'm here to relive my experiences from the old days of EQ, but also to experience some things I never done before like a lot of old world content.

I started a Iksar Shadow Knight, and of course I'm broke, and it will take a long while for me to level up, my worry is that by the time I can afford the CoS, which I feel is going to be necessary to full enjoy playing an Iksar SK again, it will be nerfed, and the cost will sky rocket.

What is the best way for a slow leveling iksar SK to gain enough platinum for CoS before nerf?

Thank you for any input.

Swifty
06-11-2014, 02:32 PM
won't get nerfed on p99.

Daldaen
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
A CoS will generally run you about 3k.

At low levels, IE about 20ish, there aren't too many things you can do for lots of plat.

Orc Scalps from the orcs near Freeport/Highpass sell for 10 plat each.
High Quality Bear Skins sell for 30-40 plat each.
Bone Chips stacks are about 10 plat each stack.

There are a few very rare drops from level 10-30 mobs like Goblin Gazughi Ring or Solist's Icy Wand would get you more than enough to buy a CoS. But they are VERY rare. Leveling up would likely net you more money than wasting weeks camping those.

Unless your playtime is extremely low, you won't have a problem getting one before Velious comes out. Even after that is about 6? Months into Velious that CoS gets nerfed.

Your best bet is to just level up as quick as you can and maybe do a group down at BG/Chief if you can find it open. The CoS does also occasionally rot from someone who is camping Chief and gets a few BGs before they get an idol off Chief... So you could theoretically hang around for that to happen though it isn't a very common occurrence. I know it's happened to me once or twice in Droga.

rubicaant
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
It won't?
The timeline says it gets nerfed a month before Velious.

Daldaen
06-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Dunno what timeline you are looking at...

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010627.html

Circlet of Shadow will no longer drop in-game. The Circlet of Shadows, can now be found in its place. This item differs from the original only in that it has a five-second casting time. Existing Circlets of Shadow will retain the same functionality as before, though we may change existing Circlets at some future date.

That's 6 months into Velious. And Velious isn't even announced yet, several raid mobs aren't tested, PoMischief hasn't been opened, shawl and ring wars haven't been written... It's a ways off.

Like I said. Unless you are limited to 2-3 hours a month, you will be able to level up and camp one yourself or buy one in your 30-40s when you start getting loot worth selling.

Swifty
06-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Sorry to have misinformed you, like Daldaen said, you have plenty of time to get your own copy, no stress.

rubicaant
06-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Well ok, I feel better. I got my timeline from here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:EQLive_Timeline

As the very bottom of the list it says it's nerfed in Nov of '00

Pheer
06-12-2014, 06:00 PM
even if it got nerfed before velious, theres so many on the server that the price would still be fairly reasonable for awhile

Potus
07-18-2014, 05:16 PM
It gets nerfed a month before Luclin, not Velious.

Verant had to make that Necro Invis AA worth the points.

Daldaen
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Necro didn't get AA Invis until Depths of Darkhollow. Unless you're talking about Innate IVU which would be irrelevant to the CoS discussion.

Potus
07-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Necro didn't get AA Invis until Depths of Darkhollow. Unless you're talking about Innate IVU which would be irrelevant to the CoS discussion.

What happened was actually really funny (and annoying). Verant nerfed the CoS because they said having instant click invises broke the game.

Then they put the Luclin AA's out on Test which had instant click Camo and IVU, and when people pointed that out Verant was like "we answered your demands, guys!"

Daldaen
07-19-2014, 02:34 AM
Having instant invis on an FDing class really does though :/. And by the time necro's got an instant normal invis AA it was less relevant.

Instant Camo for Druid/Ranger wasn't really comparable to CoS on Necro/SK.

Potus
07-19-2014, 03:21 AM
I see it being borderline broken only in a couple of situations in which you can FD flop past invis mobs. Other than that it was kind of a weird reason to nerf the item, because by that time there were so many of them out and they left pre-nerf ones alone.

What's also funny is Luclin introduces the Coterie Death Mask which actually is OP as fuck at least for Necros. That gets nerfed, but it's like a great example of people who do itemization not being on the same page as gameplay balance people because it was around for a month and it was almost impossible to die as a necro with it.

Clark
07-19-2014, 05:50 PM