PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking my first class

Glum
06-08-2014, 06:58 PM
I am narrowing down what I will roll as my first character on P99.

I played back on live through LDoN mainly as a monk and am looking for a bit of a change.

I have narrowed it down (I think) to shaman, enchanter, or necro. I know I want a spell caster that can solo. Sometimes my play time might be short. I would like to be able to log in for a little bit and not have to worry about finding a group so that I can progress. I would also like a easier time finding groups so I can make friends here. One of the best part of MMOs is playing with other people after all.

This is my first character so money will be short. One thing that worries me, that I discovered while looking at the wiki was the price of some of the shaman spells. I never had a max level character at this point in the game but, I am guessing 100k isnt to easy to come by.

Thanks for any advice you can share. I would be willing to think about a differnt class if you think it has what I am looking for.

Nekkojakk
06-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Enchanter would probably be most similar to what you're looking for. There are some other considerations though.

1-16 sorta sucks as an enchanter but you get stronger every level after that. Groups love you and once you get charming down its amazing.

1-12 is pretty easy as a shaman but after that your dots/dd/heals slow down till your mid 20s. Great for a group but not as wanted as an enchanter. Amazing duo/trio partner.

tanknspank
06-08-2014, 09:47 PM
I would say at the lower levels you'll be more wanted as a shaman than enchanter. Heals seems more in demand before breeze is available and before CC is needed.

The necro probably fits the bill best in terms of solo, short playtime and low funds. And a lot of them chose to just solo, so there's not an oversaturation in groups (altough you will compete with every dps for those spots)

Estu
06-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Necro: excellent solo exp, useful but not in high demand for groups, great at farming plat at high levels.

Enchanter: excellent solo exp (but can be tricky to get the hang of charming), huge demand for groups, great at farming plat at high levels.

Shaman: bad solo exp (gets better, though still not good, when you get canni+regen at 24; really takes off once you get your epic at 50, assuming you get your epic at 50), high demand for groups, great at farming plat at high levels, and REALLY need to farm that plat because of game-changing spells like torpor which is also enormously expensive, and there are also game-changing items pre-60 like fungi tunic and JBB that are really useful and expensive, though not really as necessary if you hit 60 and have torpor.

All of them are solid choices. For your specific concerns and so on, I'd go enchanter, but be patient with learning how to charm; it can be tricky when you start out. If you're really lazy and hate making good exp/hour you can use your animation and nuke, or something.

Uteunayr
06-09-2014, 01:22 PM
You probably want enchanter. It's the sweet spot class among the soloing three. While necromancers can kick ass in groups through properly adjusting their play style, they simply are not in high demand. While both shaman and enchanter are in high demand, shaman soloing starts relatively late, and the class has some very expensive stuff to purchase.

Enchanter combines group desirability, soloing ability, and being cheap relative to shaman.

That said, go Necro. Far more fun. :D

phacemeltar
06-09-2014, 03:37 PM
ranger. you know u want to

fishingme
06-09-2014, 03:54 PM
enchanter is what you want, with little play time you can easily get good gear for a chanter. CHa/int gear is very cheap and can't beat the oppaline earring drops in unrest :)