PDA

View Full Version : Crash when zoning.

Argh
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
I've been having this issue off and on since earlier this year (I can't remember the specific patch which started this issue). Currently it's worse than ever.

Every time I zone I crash to login screen.

Sometimes it will take me more than 10 attempts to get back in from the character select screen without crashing (atm I'm on attempt #15 trying to log back in to ec.) Usually, after my first login in which I don't crash, I immediately desync.

Some things I've tried:

Uninstalled/Reinstalled Everquest.
Uninstalled/Reinstalled Windows.
Used Wine on Mac OSX.
Disabled UAC.
Wifi and wired connection.
Deleted EQClient.ini.
Deleted uifiles.

Has anyone ever had the same or similar issue?

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts.

ksungjune
06-04-2014, 04:51 AM
In my understanding, this issue is not related to computer itself. This is related to server sending data to our clients. Every time we zone, client stops responding until server send signal, if server does not, client will stay non-responsive and eventually crash if signal isnt received.
Sometimes this crash probem is worse, sometimes its flawless.
For example, I had severe zone crash almost every time yesterday.
Today, I played whole day and I crashed only once for 30~ 40 zoning/loading.
And there is no change at all from my side. I can only guess it is outside my computer.
It can either be my cable, my router, my modem, my Internet provider, or the server.
Since I have no problem with all other programs, I can only suspect the server issue.
I just hope it will be like today.

To reduce the chance of crash, I suggest to enhance the performance of your computer. Since I did so, my loading time is dramatically reduced, and apparently it reduced the chance of desync because client does not stay in loading phase for too long.

But as far as I have experienced, there is not much you can do for this matter.

Argh
06-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I also live less than 5 minutes away from the server and have 10-25ms usually. This happens on any computer in my house (macbook pro, imac, or crappy pc.)

Koota
06-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Sounds silly, but keep Task Manager open.

quido
06-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Try power cycling your modem/router if you haven't already. This has fixed crash issues for me a couple of times.

sykotic
06-04-2014, 12:41 PM
if you are using a router try taking it out of the equation and see if it helps.

ksungjune
06-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Just a briet update on this matter on my side. I tried router on/off too. What I tried includes everything OP listed except wine and mac. I tried on 3 different computers, 2 different Video card(550ti, radeon 7000 series) swapped to each pc, windows 7, windows 8. Nothing really affected this issue to good or bad.
But, frequency of this crash dramatically reduced since yesterday. 1 yesterday, 0 today. And there was no change from my side.

The only thing I feel I contributed to reduce this crash is (even if so it will be minimal.)
1. clean windows install.
2. SSD to enhance loading speed.
Of course, there is no hard proof.

ksungjune
06-04-2014, 06:36 PM
And now it starts again. I cant log back in. crashed while zoning to East Cabilis, got 5~6 kick backs and LD since then. I will have keep trying to log in and praying.

Sly
06-05-2014, 02:14 AM
happens to me once in a while

ksungjune
06-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Today, zone crashing is unbearable. Already happened dozen times. It is a lot worse around populated area like commonlands or adjacent zones. It was not too bad in Kunark.

Tasslehofp99
06-08-2014, 07:13 AM
This happens quite frequently for me when I am zoning to OT, EC, and sometimes VP.

I have noticed an increase in client crashes while zoning and attemptin to /camp since the patch in march or april.

I also live very close to the server, while at home I normally have 25-30 ms ping. While at work my.connection is a lot shittier, like 70 to 100 ms ping. The crashes happen on both connections.

nivikk
06-11-2014, 01:20 AM
I have been crashing a ton on zone lately also. On average one crash per 3 zone attempts. Nothing changed on my laptop as I usually only turn it on to play EQ

Champion_Standing
06-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Turn off the loading art

ksungjune
06-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Apparently, this crashing problem has completely gone away, at least for me. I haven't done anything from my side. I had no crash at all for 2 days that is like 50+ zoning and dozens of character loading.

Tasslehofp99
06-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Running EQ as an administrator + in compatability mode + changing my in game resolution to match my monitor's native resolution seems to have fixed MOST of my crashing issues.

I still crash tons while trying to load into OT and while trying to /camp, though.