PDA

View Full Version : Spell Effects...

paradox242
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
By default, it seems the highest level spell effects are displayed even for level 1 spells. I am interested in changing this so that the spells look better as they are higher level. I know someone in game mentioned this can be done, but a forum search turned up nothing.

Does anyone know what can be changed?

Wenai
10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Here is the deal. We have two ways of dealing with particle effects.

1. Replace your spells_us.txt file with the most up to date file. This will give you spell graphics from the hands. The colors don't increase properly with Leveling.

Example: Casting Skin Like Wood
Level 1: Green Particle Effects
Level 50: Green + Blue Particle Effects
Level 60: Green + Red + Blue Particle effects.

I understand that originally it was Level 1, Level 24, Level 44. But as far as I know there is no way to edit this. I asked Ladoth about this issue and he almost guaranteed me that it was a client issue and not a source issue. The chances that we can fix this at this point are pretty bleak.

2. Remove your spellsnew.edd and spellsnew.eff files from your EverQuest folder and they will automatically revert to the classic particle effects that progress color wise properly. The problem there is NO PARTICLES FROM HANDS.

Basically it comes down to choosing the one that best fits your preferences. Do you want particles that level up properly or particles that come from hands. I personally choose particles that come from hands. :P

paradox242
10-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. If given the choice, I much prefer the older spell effects, so I'll stick with what I have.

SirSpankAlot360
11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes... for buffs it was Green, then Green+Orange, then Green+Orange+Blue, then Green+Orange+Blue+Red.

Windburn
02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but it is the most relevant (and has a Developer response).

Since the issue is client side and we're only concerned with 1999 spells...

If we have the original Everquest CDs, is it possible to install it, isolate the appropriate spell effect file(s), and copy it into the titanium directory? If so (or at least worth a shot), what file(s) should be moved over?

Cubehacker
02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but it is the most relevant (and has a Developer response).

Since the issue is client side and we're only concerned with 1999 spells...

If we have the original Everquest CDs, is it possible to install it, isolate the appropriate spell effect file(s), and copy it into the titanium directory? If so (or at least worth a shot), what file(s) should be moved over?

Nope its not going to work. Its not a matter of having the right spell effects graphic files in the EQ folder (they original 1999 ones are already there, even on a titanium copy), its a matter of making the current client from 2005 use those old files. And since we can't edit the client, we can't really change that.

Overall i've found that most spells do work correctly, having the upgraded "look" as the levels progress. There are a few exceptions however, one being the generic buff spell, and I believe the heal spell too.

Windburn
02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Fair enough, but why is it the client can't be edited?

Cubehacker
02-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Fair enough, but why is it the client can't be edited?

Because we don't have source code for the client.

Bakaris
03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I know this a old thread - but I hit 50 and no blue particles from hands as I was hoping for.
Anyone know where you can get the newest, spells_us.txt as Wenai wrote ?

I would very much like particles from hands! Makes me warm inside.

doacleric
03-09-2010, 12:08 AM
If you didn't delete your spellsnew.edd and spellsnew.eff files, then you should have particles coming from your hands, although not necessarily the right colors for your level. Only a few spells are affected by this, namely the buff effect. Other spells such as fireballs and root correctly upgrade their "look" as you level.

LazyFuj
03-09-2010, 12:50 AM
when casting a buff spell, say "Arch shielding". Are the colors supposed to be only green + orange? I thought it was green + orange + blue? If so, how do you fix this?

Bakaris
03-09-2010, 03:30 AM
when casting a buff spell, say "Arch shielding". Are the colors supposed to be only green + orange? I thought it was green + orange + blue? If so, how do you fix this?

This!

Cant remember if I deleted my spells files

doacleric
03-09-2010, 06:56 PM

As I mentioned before, the generic "buff" spell effect is one of the few that are broken. You can delete those files that I mentioned and that should return the correct colors, but you will no longer see effects coming from your hands.

Rickey
03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
bumping this thread for the simple fact that Im having the same problem ....curious to see if anyone has come up with a solution yet? Im 48 with level 24 spell particles. and that sux. thx

Rickey
03-04-2011, 06:50 PM
any word on this?

Rickey
03-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Telin
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM
So I noticed while looking at spell particles that there were the original 1999 particles and before the huge revamp scrapping the classic effects, there was a slight update to those original spell particles a couple of years later. These were higher resolution and looked brighter. It also cleaned up the edges of the blue stars used for healing spells. It replaced the blue diamonds from the generic buff firework with the blue sparkles used in healing spells.

So I'm thinking it would be easier to restore the spell effects to the upgraded classic effects instead of trying to go all the way back to the 1999 ones since the improved ones were used with later clients like Planes of Power. This server so far is using the improved versions of the classic effects. It's obvious from the clarity of the healing spell particles and when high level generic buff firework effects are using the blue sparkles (spela2.tga) instead of the blue diamonds seen here: http://www.kgadams.net/EQ_Images/Feb19_5.jpg

The improved effects can also be manipulated by UI option settings and opacity is by default denser with the improved particles. The really old ones couldn't be adjusted.

There are a few more obvious issues and I'm wondering if they can be fixed?:

1) Spell animations from the left and right hands flow up instead of straight out. Like generic buff spells. Sow/str animations (spela1.tga)

2) Healing spells, unlike most of the spells that eventually end up fixed by higher levels, never change. The lighter blue "clarity-color" effect particles never surround the caster or the target in a bubble form (lvl 39+). The caster should also be surrounded by particles when casting begins (lvl 24+). Currently it's just a flow of particles from the hands. The outward flow of particles from the center of target are not existent, which should the most basic effect starting at level 1.

3) Generic buff spells during the caster's hand animations never gain their blue particles (lvl 39+). This has been pointed out in other threads. It also seems the orange particles (lvl 24+) from the hands are a little too thick and they completely overwhelm the green particles. The blue particles, if added, would end up interacting with the some of the orange particles creating a nice purple effect.

If this is already being worked on i'm sorry to bring it up again :) . Spell effects are just huge part of my EQ experience :D

Brain
10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
They actually progressed @ 1, 24 & 39.

Brain
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=80kN9wO3DsM#!

Brutal_X
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
When i try logging in it says my spells file is out dated... i am completely new to project 1999, it lets me log in all the way and then says that, any reason why? Please help, thanks!

Brutal_X
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Nevermind, fixed it!

GenieHakeem
10-29-2012, 05:14 AM
By default, it seems the highest level spell effects are displayed even for level 1 spells. I am interested in changing this so that the spells look better as they are higher level. I know someone in game mentioned this can be done, but a forum search turned up nothing.

Does anyone know what can be changed?

I have never gotten the "search" function of this forum to work for anything. I even tested with searching for threads I knew exist.

Telin
10-31-2012, 12:50 AM
I wanted to see if EQMac on PC could restore the old spell effects by deleting the new spell files. And it worked 100%! I wonder how since it's running from a 2008 windows client, or maybe it's actually using the eqmac client.

maker
02-27-2013, 06:04 AM
bump, would be sick to have progressed spell effects like back on life!

rafaone
02-27-2013, 06:21 AM
The particles from hands when you are casting a heal spell are not the same as in live Indeed. In live you would have a Glowing circle of particles around caster and also around, along with the one coming from hands, It sucks, but well ... Also in live you could see particles cast on yourself when on 1st person view. The only way i found this to be done here is by deleting the spellnew.eff