PDA

View Full Version : Major issues... please help

szenasim
06-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Hiya!

I'm looking for some technical help on a number of issues. I'm certain that they are all related but I can't nail down the main cause. Here are the symptoms:

1. I had the game installed on another computer recently that was running Windows 7. Also installed if for my wife on XP. Works great. My cleric is now 27 :)

2. Decided to give the Windows 7 computer to my kids to play on (since it was their xmas present), and install it on my Vista PC. Installed it and it asked me to double check my video card drivers (as it usually did on the other install). I followed the links, but this time, NVidia said that the drivers were up to date, there was an error and installation of the drivers failed. I didn't see a way to fix that, so I logged on. Everything worked great. Was able to operate everything like normal.

3. The next day, I try to log on... nothing but problems. When I tried to log on, it came up with the message about my drivers. Since it worked fine last night, I just ignored the message and logged in. It went to the character screen, I selected my character, clicked "Enter" and it went back to the server login screen. This happened a couple times, and finally, it logged in.

4. When I got on though... things were really messed up. First of all... I had SUPER speed. Like... Spirit of Wolf x 10. Also, PCs and NPCs around me were going super speed, though, they would loop. So, if a guard walked past me, they would zoom past, go out of site, then pop back, a few feet ahead of where they last popped, and zoom away again. NPCs that were stationary and did not patrol, stood in place but looked like they had epilepsy. When I tried to look up, using the page up button, one light touch made me look straight up; one light touch of the page down button made me look straight down. Once I finally got myself looking straight ahead (by very carefully touching the page up and down buttons), when I went forward, I went crazy fast. I was able to cross Greater Faydark from top to bottom in about 12 seconds. Difficult as it was to control, I made it to Lesser Faydark, hoping that it was a zone issue. Nope. The problems persisted in that zone too. I was able to run from gfay to mistmoore in about 25 seconds or something. Crazy fast. I zoned into mistmoore and spoke to ooc. Of course, everyone wanted to know how high I was... but I assured them that I wasn't, nor have I ever been. The chat was in real time. No problems there. The buffs that I had on though ticked through very fast and dropped in no time. The "Gift of Pure Thought" that I had been given just before logging off the night before was diminished in a few minutes. SoW left sooner than that, though I didn't need it. I decided to do some more tests. I asked the wizard at the zone line of Mistmoore to cast a spell 3 times. He chose invis. The casting graphics flashed and then he stood there (with epilepsy) for about 3 seconds or so, then vanished. This happened 3 times. Based on what I know about programming (not a tonne, but some), it seemed like the issues were on my end since the time that it took to actually disappear was correct, but my graphics card, perhaps, was speeding everything up. I gated back to Kelethin. I talked to ooc there and they were a bit nicer. I had someone stand at the PoD lift and watch me run to the Orc Lift. I was there in about a second or two. I asked them what they saw and they said that I zoomed out of sight and they wanted to know how I was able to move so fast! They said that they saw me move super fast in like 10 feet hops. Basically, I was here, then 10 feet away, then 10 feet away, etc... all done in a split second. I had them try and while it took the regular amount of time, it looked like they were zooming, then looping. I contemplated keeping this awesome fast travel power and never asking for a SoW again (lol, just kidding), but there were other issues. I couldn't click on a spell without it becoming stuck on my cursor. (Once I did cast a spell, it took the correct amount of time to cast). Also, it's near impossible to control and I could seriously get killed. I sent a petition.

5. I tried relogging the game. It took a few tries to get in (as before). No effect. I've now tried uninstalling the game completely and reinstalling it. I've tried to get on but I haven't been successful yet. As before, it loads the char screen, I enter the game, it blacks out to the server login screen and when I get to the Server Select screen and try to log in, it tells me that I have an active char online and that I need to wait. Even on the char select screen, when I get there, my chars are having seizures.

6. I've tried updating my video drivers on the NVidia site, but they say that the drivers are up to date.

I am running:

Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0Ghz
5 gigs ram
NVidia GeForce 7950 GT video card

Please help :)

nilbog
06-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Supposedly the amd dual core optimizer is only for windows xp, and clock issues were fixed in Vista/7. However, your problems seem to be from dual core.

Install wineq2.0. Sign up if you need to, it's free. http://www.lavishsoft.com/download/wineq2

That includes eqplaynice, which I assume will fix your problem. If that still doesn't work, try the 1.14 amd dual core optimizer.

phacemeltar
06-01-2014, 01:38 PM
you should be able to set vista to use only a single core for EQ, not sure if that will fix your problem

szenasim
06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Wineq2.0 worked :) Thanks! Just curious... do I have to run that before I log on everytime, or just once?

nilbog
06-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I would recommend always using it to load eq. Makes for the most stable experience.

My personal preference is to run the game in windowed mode using wineq. If you open /everquest/eqclient.ini, scrolling to the bottom will reveal [VideoMode]. If you change the width and height options to the native resolution of your monitor, it will fill your screen and still allow for alt-tabbing.

szenasim
06-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Great stuff :) Thanks Nil