PDA

View Full Version : First EQ Memory

Messianic
05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
This thread has probably been done before, but what the hell. Post your first experience with EQ.

Mine was as a Barb Warrior - I was going for the whole Braveheart look.

I remember looking at *everything* in the city. I was totally blown away at the ridiculous detail in everything - the tents, the NPCs, the fire (with its 2-D intersecting flames), the the sounds and music, the doors...Being really worried that i'd freeze to death if I fell in the water near the zone to Everfrost...

Then I later died to a vengeful lyricist (yeah, that thread sparked this old memory) after not pulling away from the center of the pathing mobs. Even so, I still thought, "this game is badass!"

Brut
05-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Ran around Grobb spamming T targeting NPCs thinking "is not online at this time" was some quest dialogue or something. Then eventually hit A and died and got bindcamped by a mushroom man tracker.

Good times.

Porcoa
05-21-2014, 11:41 AM
I remember making in Iksar SK as my first character. I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Found another guy running around outside Cabilis. He had a badass skull helmet and I was praising it. The dude ended up making me one! I was legitimately excited. Then I killed some stuff for a couple of hours and logged off.

Now, I had no concept of different servers at this time, this was my first MMO. I had no idea what server I made that character on and gave up looking for him after a while. I picked a different server and wrote it down this time. Ended up making a Barb Shammy that I stuck with for a while.

Tecmos Deception
05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
My RL buddy told me about this awesome new game that he started playing, EverQuest. I wasn't interested; I figured the roleplaying games I was doing in AOL chat rooms at the time sounded like more fun.

Then I went over to his house and made a level 1 dark elf and got lost in Third Gate... and 15 years later I'm still playing EverQuest.

HawkMasterson1999
05-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Rolled a human monk and gave him charisma because I didn't want him to be dull and gave him some int because I didn't want him to be stupid. When I spawned in south qeynos by the caster guild, I thought all the NPCs were real players and wondered why everyone just stood there while I ran around. lol

Tecmos Deception
05-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Rolled a human monk and gave him charisma because I didn't want him to be dull and gave him some int because I didn't want him to be stupid. When I spawned in south qeynos by the caster guild, I thought all the NPCs were real players and wondered why everyone just stood there while I ran around. lol

Lol. On one of my first characters, I remember running into a chanter PC in his teens. I thought his animation was a player he was running around with who he had cast invisibility on.

Deldanko
05-21-2014, 12:02 PM
My friend told me about the game so i bought it. i made a woodelf warrior and my friend gave me items and some crafted armor. I then got bored of him so i deleted him (with the items) and my friend was pissed. i had no idea why.

myriverse
05-21-2014, 12:02 PM
I remember spending more than a night of play stuck in Neriak, unable to find my way around.

Messianic
05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
I remember spending more than a night of play stuck in Neriak, unable to find my way around.

This is fantastic. Neriak was sort of confusing at first. I probably spent 20-30 minutes in each city figuring out where stuff was.

Nikon
05-21-2014, 12:08 PM
My cousin bought me the game in October of 1999 for my birthday. Had no RPG experience prior to that. Rolled a DE SK and he showed me the newbie log in nek. Still to this day one of my best birthday presents ever.

Bill Tetley
05-21-2014, 12:11 PM
not being able to see a damn thing on my monitor while the sun was glaring on the crt screen while playing a human. cranked the gamma and created a whole system of card board boxes to block out the sun so I could at least see a little bit...

Millburn
05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
My first memory was back in phase 2 of beta. A real life friend of mine was in beta with me and we both started in Qeynos. We were running around in Qeynos Hills when we spotted a Wisp. Well...not sure if you guys are familiar with wisps in UO or not but we had about a 5 minute long debate on if we should try and kill it or not (nevermind con's as this point). Fun times arguing while trying to keep pace with it and not get ourselves killed by wandering bears and gnolls.

In the end we attacked it and found out the importance of magic weapons early on in EQ.

Invoke
05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
I remember making a human warrior named Copen because I was chewing Copenhagen back then. After finally finding the newbie yard I started "helping" people kill their mobs. Didn't understand you had to be grouped and I remember one female human that got super pissed off and started shouting in zone how I was a KSing asshole. Somebody told her to shut up because I was just a newb and helped explain the game to me. They even sharpened my rusty sword and gave me some leather which I would later lose on a corpse in EC lol.

Shamalam
05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Roll barb rogue. Get lost in Halas for an hour. See lake with a raft coming towards me! Freedom! Somehow miss the raft and fall in water. No idea how to swim. Drown. LOADING PLEASE WAIT...

HawkMasterson1999
05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
not being able to see a damn thing on my monitor while the sun was glaring on the crt screen while playing a human. cranked the gamma and created a whole system of card board boxes to block out the sun so I could at least see a little bit...

LMAO, I did the same thing. Almost forgot about that cardboard tunnel around my monitor to block out the early morning sun.

Valdarious
05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
I remember watching my friend play for the first time. I think he either started a druid or a ranger since he started in Surefall Glade. I remember just realizing that this was in 3d instead of UO like were we playing previously.
I remember being amazed at about everything and it taking sooo long to get a cool magical weapon.

Millburn
05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Roll barb rogue. Get lost in Halas for an hour. See lake with a raft coming towards me! Freedom! Somehow miss the raft and fall in water. No idea how to swim. Drown. LOADING PLEASE WAIT...

I had a buddy have a similar experience happen to him in Neriak. He got lost in there for HOURS, I mean pure frustration lost. He would take little breaks to log off and call me on the phone. He eventually got out and as soon as he did he ran to the left coming out and fell into the river. Died to a piranha or something while he was in the process of drowning. He immediately logged off and never played again. Poor guy really missed out haha

webrunner5
05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I started a Female High Elf Cleric in 2000 and when I went into Greater Faydark to fight, I thought I had Cerebral Palsy. I could not hit a wasp to save my butt for about 3 days. I remember my son saying it's easy lol. :D Yeah right! :p

SyanideGas
05-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Getting lost in Qeynos, rerolling.

Gaxx
05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
I broke my arm and couldn't ride my bike, etc. so I bought this cool game called Everquest that I saw in PC Gamer. My first character was a woof elf druid. Running around Gfay and Kelethin listening to the awesome music and feeling like I was immersed in a huge multiplayer world for the first time got me absolutely hooked.

Halius
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
My friend showed me this game when we were at his house. I was watching him play is 30 something warrior and thought it was the coolest game I had ever seen, he even let me make a cleric and fight around in EC, thought I was the shit with cloth armor and a rusty mace.

I went home and used my hard earned chore money (was 13 at the time) and went and bought the game only to find out that our computer was obsolete and wouldn't run it. So I grabbed my dad's work laptop while he was gone and tried to install it on that only to find out that the internet connection didn't work on it. Took about a month of begging my parents for them to buy a updated computer. After that all I can remember is getting so incredibly pissed when someone would pick up the phone to make a call and make me go LD, damn you AOL!

Velerin
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Wood elf druid. With my crappy video card the trees were all screwy and you couldn't see the platforms. After countless deaths I made a half elf druid in Surefall, got to level 5 and fell in that blackburrow pit and lost my body. Made a human mage named Velerin. Never played an elf again in 15 years. I hate elves.

nilbog
05-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Created Nilbog the paladin in Qeynos. He was awesome with all points into charisma and intelligence.

Found Qeynos Hills..and a rabid wolf found me. I decided to fight and see what lay on hands was all about. When the wolf hit me, my target switched back to the npc, and I layed on hands the rabid wolf. I think this mechanic was changed early on, and probably for good reason.

That's my first eq memory.

Brut
05-21-2014, 01:44 PM
The effin guidebook said you need charisma to speak languages well.

new player
05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Getting 10+ skeletons trained on me at the newbie log.

Susvain2
05-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Made a wood elf ranger, got it to lvl 7. Took alot of time. I put alot of time in, i use to beg high level players for plat at the orc lift. A wood elf druid gave me 10pp. And i also managed to get a full set of banded armor. I was 11 or 12years old at the time u can imagine my excitement. I looked so cool. One day at the entrance to crushbone a guy offered to trade me a green jade broad sword for my full set of banded. I agreed because that weapon looked so cool. So i put all of my items in trade and he put like a rusty 2hander in window and i didnt check. Trade went through and im stuck wit no gear. I was devastated. Quit and rerolled my dorf war and that became my main

NegaStoat
05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
The game had been out for about 2 months when friends of mine that I table top gamed with screamed at me "buy it! it's AD&D Online! mostly!"

I worked at a mall then and I had my computer with me to screw around with when no one was looking, so I bought a copy from the Gamestop. I installed it, but had no access to internet (couldn't block the company phone line). I played through the tutorial twice and thought it was amazing.

Got home, my friends told me they rolled dwarves / wood & high elves, so I rolled a high elf magician (because I choose you, Goner!). Tons of people screaming about being broke and not able to afford spells, and I was packing 4 slot mage bags x5 and 3 backpacks for rusties, cloth armor, and CB belt loot while I was bound at something called Orc Lift.

I felt so badass and rich.

Ikonoclastia
05-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Getting lost in Neriak trying to find my spells. Then realising once I got them you got points for casting them (abjuration etc). Before I went to bed I got one of those little electric motors, taped it to my desk with a flexible plastic stick attached and had it hitting my mouse casting spells all night... didn't realise it was capped at (5) at level 1.

On PvP Tallon I think, it was some nice person giving me a robe from befallen and thinking yeah baby! about 2 seconds later being burned down by a wizard... running back to body and my robe was gone....!

Samoht Farstrider
05-21-2014, 08:53 PM
I was a blind human ranger. Got killed by my guildmaster before changing the attack key. Got lost in that stupid tunnel so many times since I was so damn blind and kept getting turned around running through there. Got me hooked tho!

Messianic
05-21-2014, 10:36 PM
The effin guidebook said you need charisma to speak languages well.

Lol. I seem to remember the guidebook being terrible. Didn't it say humans leveled the fastest?

Rararboker
05-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Humans were supposed to get the bonus, halflings got it by mistake and they never fixed it.

blondeattk
05-22-2014, 01:06 AM
getting lost in akanon....thats one confusing zone to start in.

I kept trying to talk to the gnome lookin robots.....after an hour managed to talk to a pc, and follow them out of the city.

Imago
05-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Lol. I seem to remember the guidebook being terrible. Didn't it say humans leveled the fastest?

Still have my guidebook from Prima, the OFFICIAL source for Everquest RoK info.

Some awesome little plot blurbs in here - one about some barbs duping a gnome for a map to Nagafen's lair, one about the Frog king's rousing speech for his army against the undead frogs of LGuk, one about some iksar thieves stumbling into Howling Stones, etc.

Lots of useless info about how much shit sells to a vendor for, and mob stats.

Anyways - first memory - making a female wood elf warrior at my friends house, rambling about to the kelethin tune, smacking bats and wondering why some dude was following me around. Til he finally hit me. Little did I know I had rolled on RZ. Have been Red ever since.

phacemeltar
05-22-2014, 04:03 AM
watched my dad on a mayong raid, tons of people being slaughtered at the zl.
a week later i got my own account and made a woodie war, running around the noob lift scared to venture out too far into the forest for a few weeks. this was my first experience with online socializing too, meeting other level ones at the lift.. good times, i still love gfay

Laugher
05-22-2014, 04:32 AM
Lol I was originally a half elf bard on live. One of the first memories I have of EQ was begging money off of people at the gates in West Freeport. Someone eventually walked up and handed me 1k, so after some wandering and visiting almost every merchant in West and North Freeport I ended up in East Freeport buying a set of plate armor off of a merchant and spending most (if not all) of the money on merchant-bought plate.

Nuggie
05-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Bought the game in July '99. Didn't want it to mess with football season so I didn't install it until something like October. Found out you needed a subscription to play and had to beg my dad to use his. He was awful nervous putting his cc info on the Internet.

I couldn't believe how amazingly real this game looked compared to warcraft I on my sweet 16MB graphics card. I roll a dwarf paladin on brell. Ran around a bit. I meet up with this elf that talks me into going to crushbone. Through pitch black night with thieves trying to rob us on the way we journeyed on. Finally we get there. Seemed like forever.

We zone in, I follow him around, and I fall in the moat. No idea how to swim or climb ladders. I drown. He tells me to run back, from kaladim. I said naw and rerolled.

Ravager
05-22-2014, 08:38 AM
I rolled a gnome wizard and my friend told me to run to GFay. He gave me a Water Crystal Staff and Skull of Jhen'tra, then I got lost and died and couldn't find my corpse. At the time, under level 5, the corpse rotted in 30 minutes. I felt terrible.

Then my sister saw me playing the game, I agreed to share the account with her (terrible idea), and she became addicted and I never got to play. On the rare occasion I did get to play, she'd stand over my shoulder and watch.

Aviann
05-22-2014, 11:46 AM
When I started, my uncle first gave me a full set of bronze, and a few weps and an SBS to use alongside a necklace with some str. Back then, bronze was the shit, and having a full matching set was sweet.

Found another irl buddy that happened to have a lvl 9 druid, while I was a 13 paladin, so we decided to have a LAN sleepover and ended up trying to explore. We found ourselves in OOT, two lost noobs, following only the sound of excitement in our hearts. Unfortunately, we didn't fare long against the ancient cyclops who claimed the island we were on as their turf. He immediately got off so I wasn't able to recover the gear I let him use, but a nice druid helped me track down my body, I looted it, learned my hard lesson, and returned to Oasis where I spent 6 months leveling from 13 to 20, scared as shit to explore anywhere else until I found a more experienced paladin and longtime friend who brought me to new and bigger places.

Nihilist_santa
05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
I rolled a gnome wizard and my friend told me to run to GFay. He gave me a Water Crystal Staff and Skull of Jhen'tra, then I got lost and died and couldn't find my corpse. At the time, under level 5, the corpse rotted in 30 minutes. I felt terrible.

Then my sister saw me playing the game, I agreed to share the account with her (terrible idea), and she became addicted and I never got to play. On the rare occasion I did get to play, she'd stand over my shoulder and watch.

Ha I made the same mistake with my brother and my mom forced me to share my account with him until he got a computer. I then just gave him the account and rerolled on Torvon when it opened.

Ahldagor
05-22-2014, 03:25 PM
half elf ranger was the first character i rolled. died in qhills to a bear and never found my body. rerolled a halfling rogue that died in kith and never found that body. that dial up connection starting...

Halius
05-22-2014, 03:55 PM
half elf ranger was the first character i rolled. died in qhills to a bear and never found my body. rerolled a halfling rogue that died in kith and never found that body. that dial up connection starting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

Caldwin
05-23-2014, 03:01 AM
I started maybe a few months before Kunark. I made a High Elf Wizard. I loved the 1st person view.

I looked around Flewithe, found my trainer, and turned in the note. Then I started exploring more, when it started raining... and lightning. I rushed into a building because I thought I might get struck by lightning.

Then I started down the tunnel to the gfay zone line. I wasn't in full screen mode, so I was looking through the smaller window. That, along with my video settings making the tunnel dark, set the stage for what happenned next.

I rounded the turn in the tunnel just before the zone line and it was dark. I saw two sets of eyes down the tunnel and that was it. I thought they may have been some type of creature. Then, all of a sudden, the eyes moved toward me and I started to run away. But, it turned out to be a couple of other players that just zoned into Felwithe.

Eventually, I made it to the noobie area fought stuff, died a few times, then eventually made it to the Wood Elf noobie area. Made it to lvl 4, found a group who fought orcs just down the path from the orc lift. Then at some point, I was in a group at orc hill, and eventually Crushbone. I was addicted.

After some leveling, I found myself at the path near the orc lift, when a train went by. It turns out that the guards were elsewhere. So, I decided help by rooting one of the orcs. When the root landed, the orc was on the lift. I LMAO watching that orc going up & down on the lift. But, eventually the lift came down without the orc. I don't know what happened to it, but it probably was taken out by a guard or something. I wish I had taken screen shots of that.

I eventually rolled a High Elf magician, which became my main.

Tasslehofp99
05-23-2014, 03:31 AM

It also says dexterity increases melee accuracy, lol

r00t
05-23-2014, 02:25 PM
I used to sit on a little blue chair and watch my dad for months until the summer of '99 hit, when he bought me an account since I was out of school until going to 5th grade in the fall. He'd let me do stuff like pottery combines on his enchanter when he had to go run errands, but never much more than that. But watching him I was able to pick up most of the mechanics.

My first character was a half-elven ranger, a copy of my dad's main character except he worshipped Karana and started in Surefall and I worshipped Tunare and started in Kelethin. One of my earliest memories on my own character was getting lost in Greater Faydark and running into a bandit camp. I thought my corpse was gone forever, I literally ran all over that entire zone looking for it, discovering cool stuff like the wizard spires in my journey. Eventually a friendly bard sang the locate song.

I became obsessed with EverQuest, and got my best friend into the game. He made a barbarian warrior and I helped him get settled in with some loots. I remember one time we were in an arena and I kept beating him, and him getting #mad. We were /duel'd, and my mom called me for dinner. Oh the betrayal when he killed me AFK. But it was from that experience I remember that we found our calling in professional EQ PvP, and a desire to try the red servers.

Though I played daily, I never made it past level 25 that first year.

sox7d
05-23-2014, 04:48 PM
>5th grade, 2000
>half the kids in my grade play EQ and talk about it constantly (rich ass school)
>finally convince parents to buy it for me
>make wood elf warrior
>dunno how to play
>put sword on cursor and wave mouse over "a bat"
>find out you press "a"
>kill wolf
>dad says "you just walk around and kill animals? yeah, you're not playing this piece of shit"
>uninstall
>cry
>play at friends houses/cyber cafe
>2014
>P1999
>kill every wolf i see

3 months after that he took me on a tour at some game company in his office building, turned out to be Verant. Dad says, "oh you guys make everquest? sean loved that game but i thought he was a little young to be walking around killing animals." i made eye contact with one of the coders with a look that said "god help me" and i could tell he empathized completely.

Randy
05-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Running the gorge with some higher level guy who was helping, getting blinded and not knowing what happened.

Champion_Standing
05-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Getting mad at the orcs and saying "fucking orcs" when i respawned near PoD lift in gfay. Got about 15 tells telling me it was a family game and to stop swearing then about 2 minutes later a GM was giving me a warning.

Jimjam
05-23-2014, 05:26 PM
I had a buddy have a similar experience happen to him in Neriak. He got lost in there for HOURS, I mean pure frustration lost. He would take little breaks to log off and call me on the phone. He eventually got out and as soon as he did he ran to the left coming out and fell into the river. Died to a piranha or something while he was in the process of drowning. He immediately logged off and never played again. Poor guy really missed out haha

EQ really does try its best to make you quit from day 1.

Maybe we should just take the hint? lol

cyno
05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Wood Elf Ranger was my first character on Karana server. Has visions on killing everything with a bow before they even got close to me! Boy was I mistaken. Luckily I paired up with a cleric who kept me alive most of the time unless I ran off the top of Kelethin! Then, a friend gave me an Ebony Bladed Sword and I thought "this is the most amazing weapon I will EVER get in this game"! I kept at it until hitting level 65.

sox7d
05-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Getting mad at the orcs and saying "fucking orcs" when i respawned near PoD lift in gfay. Got about 15 tells telling me it was a family game and to stop swearing then about 2 minutes later a GM was giving me a warning.

lol

Clark
05-24-2014, 03:15 AM
It also says dexterity increases melee accuracy, lol

:cool:

Meiva
05-24-2014, 08:15 AM
I shared my first death experience recently. A newbie high elf meets a skunk, but one other does stick out as one of my first memories. The classic fall to your death from Kelethin.

I was fascinated with GFAY, and to this day it still fascinates me. What a great success of a zone. I remember falling from Kelethin after my newb scroll turn in, and deciding to hunt for my corpse myself. Relogging and recreating would take so very long on a dial-up modem. I'm quite sure it took an hour or longer, and only for me to retire the woodelf for a mage :P It was rough back then when you didn't know tricks such as spam /target Mieva's

Oh, and that terrible day where you are curious and ignorant and decide to turn in your Discord book on a PvE server. You maybe invest a few hours in to your char, then stumble upon the correct NPC for the book turn in. Curiosity gets the best of you, and panic can set in once you realize what you have done. I believe I had rerolled then as well as I didn't quite understand the capabilities of a GM. They were simply mythical beings at the time. Rumors.

Kika Maslyaka
05-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I remember sometime during early 2000 running into a new guy (around lev 5) who turned in his Discord Book. I tried to explain to him what he is getting himself into, but he told me that he already convinced few of his friends to do the same, and soon their influence will spread around the server and people will be turning their books in right and left...
Never heard of him again ;)

r00t
05-24-2014, 11:42 AM
I turned in book on a blue server back in the day. When I petitioned the gm wanted me to get some stuff from like unrest and other zones my level and he would spawn priest of peace but I was like ain't nobody got time 4 dat

foldupmonk
05-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I rolled a Half Elf Ranger on Zeb. Worshiped Karana. Had a great time playing and was addicted right off the bat. I remember one time around level 25 or so being in HHK. I was up all night playing since it was a weekend night. I had a group and everything was going great. Next thing I know I was sitting on the stairs and my group had kicked me out. I asked them why they did that and apparently I fell asleep on my keyboard for an hour. First time I and only time I think that I have ever fallen asleep while sitting up in a desk chair.

Nekkojakk
05-25-2014, 09:35 PM
First I made a DE necro. Couldn't find the guild or a way out of town. So I made an erudite and promptly drown in the fountain -_-

Tried a human and couldn't see anything.

Lastly I made a halfling druid, played it for about a day and quit the game.

Didn't think about it for three years till a friend in high school got me to play. Think it was around velious/pop.

Was like 12 and had no idea about forums, eqatlas and all the needed information to really play the game.