PDA

View Full Version : On black holes and dark matter

Dillian
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
What better place to talk about this then the p99 forums lol.

Black holes are common this much physicists and astronomers know. But what i have been seeing when i do research through the thousands of images from hubble might make them a little more uncommon. Theoretical physicists say that almost every galaxy has a super massive black hole, including irregular galaxies. I say look at the galaxies themselves and you can tell what stage they are in. Spiral galaxies have a definite shape which would make them the oldest galaxies with black holes. with bar galaxies coming in second. Irregular galaxies either have just the beginings of a black hole or have none at all. Irregular galaxies are also the least dense, while the bar and spiral galaxies have a definite core of dense material at their centers. This dense core is what brings about the life of a super massive black hole. this is just my theory on how they are made and where to look for them. I havent found another like it on the net so i thought i would put it up here.

On to dark matter. I haven't found anything on this and for those that do not no what dark matter is, when you look in to space and you see the blackness, that is dark matter. You can not see it. Dark matter in my opinion is something we already know about. Gravity. Every thing moves though something and that is dark matter. There is always friction even in the darkest coldest reaches of space. What causes this friction? It is dark matter and dark matter is also what holds our universe together, just like gravity.

Any thoughts on this would be awesome. Tell me what you think and if you have a better theory I would like to know. I am always interested in things like this. I love to look at the big picture.

Whirled
05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Space ... the final frontier.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2014/05/big-bang-to-the-big-rip-search-for-dark-matter-may-lead-to-a-collapse-of-standard-model.html

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

Dillian
05-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Nice i seems i had a similar theory to Einstein. Kudos on finding this. =)

Whirled
05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
I just googled up Dark Matter - I honestly get lost in some of that long winded talking about this theory & that theory. I'll just wait for the cliff note version or the real answer when/if they figure it out, lol =D

Dillian
05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
LOL it does get confusing. I saw saturn last night through my telescope for the first time. That was pretty neat. I couldnt see a whole lot except it looked like and oddly shaped star, and i have a pretty nice telescope.

Skittlez
05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Black holes take you to an earth controlled by Apes.

Whirled
05-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Last time I looked through a scope I was aiming at the enemy - stuff I'd prefer to leave in the distant past for sure! That sounds pretty awesome too. I never had a telescope but was always looking up & wondering wtf is up there & why is that circular disc following me?

Maybe it's time I invest in some Inspector Gadget home science kit or something..hmm

Bamz4l
05-14-2014, 12:58 PM
what kind of galaxy is the milky way, Einstein?

myriverse
05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
^ Spiral

Whirled
05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
The answer disappeared? well that's weird... We've got a thief or perhaps just a missing thread...hmm.... if only there was someone who would take this case?

"The Milky Way is a barred spiral galaxy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_spiral_galaxy)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way

Lojik
05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
what kind of galaxy is the milky way, Einstein?

S3?

leewong
05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Dark matter is just like normal matter but it neither emits nor absorbs light (electromagnetic radiation) or it doesnt absorb enough light to be detected easily. Dark matter can include non-luminous gases, planets, objects condense by black holes, and just about ANYTHING else we cannot detect with electromagnetic radiation. It is only detectable by means of gravitational lensing or other gravitational effects on non-baryonic matter (ie a planet orbiting a star and causing that star to appear to wobble or pulse). There is nothing special about dark matter and it does NOT hold our universe together any more than regular matter does. Dark matter is only a name for matter we cannot detect with light (electromagnetic radiation).

BTW, the universe is expanding and there isnt enough gravity in 3 universes to even come close to slowing it down. What causes this expansion? Dark energy. What causes dark energy? Virtual particles. Virtual particles are constantly popping into and out of existence throughout the universe. The interaction (energy exchanged) between these virtual particles is what we call "dark energy". The virtual particles repel one another (for lack of better terminology) and give rise to the expanding universe. These forces put gravity to shame and it is why the universe does not collapse in on itself. In trillions of years the universe will have expanded so far that even atoms will be ripped apart. This is known as "the big rip"....look it up.

It would be nice if people took the time to understand what scientists claim rather than coming up with half-baked theories.

leewong
05-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Gravity is simply a curve in space created by matter (even dark matter). Dark matter IS NOT gravity any more than matter is gravity. When something has mass it creates a "dent" in space. Other objects with mass (if close enough) will feel this "dent" and respond accordingly.

Think of it like being underwater. Water is pressing in on you much in the same way space presses around mass. The difference being that space is curved/dented by mass and that in turn can effect other objects. Any object close enough will tend to roll toward the "dent".

Nikon
05-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Good explanation, Lee. I was going to type something similar when I got home. I have a good friend working on his post grad studies on the LUX experiment in SD. A lot of what he does sounds really boring but if they are successful it could mean big things.

Dillian, what scope are you using? Saturn on my C8 looks pretty good. Helps to have an autoguider to keep it in view for extended periods of time. This is a picture of my setup minus my DSLR and laptop I use to run it. I remember the first time I saw the moon through a 3.5" refractor. Hooked for life after that. Let alone seeing Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars. I'm working my way up to imaging deep space objects. I've been trying to get the Orion Nebula but I might have to upgrade some of my imaging equipment to get to where I want to be with it.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g162/thekidkoala/scope.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/thekidkoala/media/scope.jpg.html)

leewong
05-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Good explanation, Lee. I was going to type something similar when I got home. I have a good friend working on his post grad studies on the LUX experiment in SD. A lot of what he does sounds really boring but if they are successful it could mean big things.

Dillian, what scope are you using? Saturn on my C8 looks pretty good. Helps to have an autoguider to keep it in view for extended periods of time. This is a picture of my setup minus my DSLR and laptop I use to run it. I remember the first time I saw the moon through a 3.5" refractor. Hooked for life after that. Let alone seeing Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars. I'm working my way up to imaging deep space objects. I've been trying to get the Orion Nebula but I might have to upgrade some of my imaging equipment to get to where I want to be with it.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g162/thekidkoala/scope.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/thekidkoala/media/scope.jpg.html)

Now I have to post my telescope pics when I get home :p Proud owner of an Orion 10" Reflector, Atlas goto mount, Orion ED80 80mm Refractor (my guide scope), Orion G2 (color) and G3 (monochrome) Imaging Camera, 2 auto-guider cameras (forget the models offhand), and about 60 eyepieces and various other accessories. The equipment cost me more than my last car :o

Bardalicious
05-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Now I have to post my telescope pics when I get home :p Proud owner of an Orion 10" Reflector, Atlas goto mount, Orion ED80 80mm Refractor (my guide scope), Orion G2 (color) and G3 (monochrome) Imaging Camera, 2 auto-guider cameras (forget the models offhand), and about 60 eyepieces and various other accessories. The equipment cost me more than my last car :o

/drool

Mutant Type
05-18-2014, 04:58 AM
I just googled up Dark Matter - I honestly get lost in some of that long winded talking about this theory & that theory. I'll just wait for the cliff note version or the real answer when/if they figure it out, lol =D

How is that liberal arts degree treating you?

Tasslehofp99
05-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Astrophysics does nothing for me.

If im lucky, i might see 4 more decades on earth. I see no way of any substantial find in this type of science that can do anything to enhance or improve my quality/duration of life.

Some of us aren't obsessed with ourselves.

stormlord
05-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I've heard the theory the aliens cloaked their civilizations and made themselves virtually undetectable and thus this has led to the theory of dark matter. The problem is the aliens could not hide the gravity influence of their civilization, so one day we may be able to find them by piecing all the dark matter together.

But why? Why hide? Because their civilizations are immense and obvious and spread out everywhere. They would light up the night sky like fireworks. Perhaps by cloaking some things it protects us (or other life) from their presence. It may also protect something else even more important than lifeforms.

There's another theory which postulates there's a galactic or universal agent watching every young civilization - such as ourselves - for signs of expansion into the rest of the cosmos. The mission of this agent is to ensure every participant follows the rules, so that the universe and its history is preserved. So at some point, as we break the chains which bind us to Earth, we will be contacted and given the rules. If we do not abide by them, we will be forced to and may lose our rights temporarily or permanently to exist outside Earth.

Now, all of that belongs in science fiction, and may or may not be plausible.

Here's a good link:
http://www.scilogs.com/the-dark-matter-crisis/author/mpawlowski/

My prediction - for the future - is whatever we find out about the universe it'll expand the limits of existence to more and greater things never appreciated in their fullness before. Just as the most informed star gazers 500 years ago were speculating of other earths around other stars, people these days are similarly speculating about things which have yet to be shown to be true, but will undoubtedly bloom and amaze.

leewong
05-19-2014, 04:50 PM
I've heard the theory the aliens cloaked their civilizations and made themselves virtually undetectable and thus this has led to the theory of dark matter. The problem is the aliens could not hide the gravity influence of their civilization, so one day we may be able to find them by piecing all the dark matter together.

But why? Why hide? Because their civilizations are immense and obvious and spread out everywhere. They would light up the night sky like fireworks. Perhaps by cloaking some things it protects us (or other life) from their presence. It may also protect something else even more important than lifeforms.

There's another theory which postulates there's a galactic or universal agent watching every young civilization - such as ourselves - for signs of expansion into the rest of the cosmos. The mission of this agent is to ensure every participant follows the rules, so that the universe and its history is preserved. So at some point, as we break the chains which bind us to Earth, we will be contacted and given the rules. If we do not abide by them, we will be forced to and may lose our rights temporarily or permanently to exist outside Earth.

Now, all of that belongs in science fiction, and may or may not be plausible.

Here's a good link:
http://www.scilogs.com/the-dark-matter-crisis/author/mpawlowski/

My prediction - for the future - is whatever we find out about the universe it'll expand the limits of existence to more and greater things never appreciated in their fullness before. Just as the most informed star gazers 500 years ago were speculating of other earths around other stars, people these days are similarly speculating about things which have yet to be shown to be true, but will undoubtedly bloom and amaze.

Your first theory would require aliens to cloak 73% of all matter in the observable universe. The power required alone would be astronomical. Our puny planet accounts for less than 1% of the total mass of our solar system. If we wanted to hide Earth why would we hide 72.8% more mass than we had to? That would make detection trivial simply by watching the wobble of our sun. A hidden planet our size is near undetectable on its own.

Ahldagor
05-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Your first theory would require aliens to cloak 73% of all matter in the observable universe. The power required alone would be astronomical. Our puny planet accounts for less than 1% of the total mass of our solar system. If we wanted to hide Earth why would we hide 72.8% more mass than we had to? That would make detection trivial simply by watching the wobble of our sun. A hidden planet our size is near undetectable on its own.

scientific facts don't matter because they are capable, strong willed, special individuals that come up with those notions