PDA

View Full Version : use an alternate game client

phacemeltar
05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
i was wondering if at anytime in the past 15 years, someone has attempted to remake the titanium client? the current titanium client is very bulky, uses some outdated code, and is relatively unstable.

since most of the content comes from the server, would it be possible to make a custom client without getting sued by Sony? also, how hard would it be to make a client that could communicate with the game server?

i was thinking about this last night and it would be cool if there was a version that had a smaller RAM footprint, loaded faster, had updated graphics, and also wasnt illegal to distribute.

thoughts?

triad
05-07-2014, 05:43 PM
there's a install helper somewhere that removes everything but what you need for the server and even will change the ui and models for you and is really simple to use

phacemeltar
05-08-2014, 04:22 PM
i currently use the EQlite build with custom character models, but i am thinking of a complete rewrite of the game from scratch in a more lightweight programming language. right now i am looking at my character select (havent gone into game yet), and the task manager says the client is using up 500mb of system resources.

also, there are alot of issues that have been determined are "a limitation in the titanium client" and i was thinking that a total rewrite would be able to fix some stuff.

im not sure what EQ is written in, or how hard it would be to build from scratch, and am looking for some developer insight in this regard.

loramin
05-08-2014, 04:57 PM
While I've never looked at the EQ client's source or anything, I think it's safe to say that writing the client from scratch would be a massive undertaking. Re-writing the client would be orders of magnitude harder than re-writing the EQ server (which is more or less what P99 has done), and I'm sure even that wasn't easy.

Maybe if you could leverage an existing 3d engine it might be doable by a small (very motivated) team, but I'm not even sure of that.

All that being said, a completely fresh client would be pretty cool though ...

r00t
05-08-2014, 05:40 PM
look into

everquest, in a browser

blondeattk
05-09-2014, 02:07 AM
theres evil in the world and then theres programmers and tax accountants...

/shiver

just not normal man, just not normal!

Azure
05-09-2014, 02:32 AM
look into

everquest, in a browser

yeah client almost re-written, s3d's or Q3Radiant files ez to render, thats the hardest part, all the server side shits done and we know what inputs to give XD

r00t
05-09-2014, 08:48 AM
yea actually the network code, besides the raw stuff that transmits packets, will be super easy. Even that isnt too hard, just tedious. Its still closer to incomplete than finished, but its really not as far off as it seems