PDA

View Full Version : What would you change about classic mechanics?

sox7d
04-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Question says it all, what's bullshit? Not posting mine till page two to avoid douchebaggery.

loramin
04-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Make Mages, Rangers and Wizards more powerful and Enchanters, Necros and Shaman less powerful?

Glenzig
04-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Make Mages, Rangers and Wizards more powerful and Enchanters, Necros and Shaman less powerful?

Not classic.

loramin
04-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Not classic.

LOL I think that was implied by the OP.

Supaskillz
04-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Recharging items with powerful effects. Hybrid penalty. Lvl requirement on epic quests. Weaken Mage and necro pets lvl 1-50.

Weird suggestions that I just think might be cool that I am going to get hate for:

Give Druids an outdoor only heal similar to torpor.

Reduce monk dmg mitigation.

Change taunt mechanic to help maintain aggro.

Improve pal, sk dmg mitigation.

I think it would be interesting to see raid mobs have some
Abilities that punish the numbers strategy, AoEs that deal more dmg based on number of players it hrs or increase DTs whine hate list is long. Something along these lines.

Glenzig
04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
LOL I think that was implied by the OP.

I had to.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Remove all gate and port spells and potions and hammers except to hate/sky.

Give sow a dot component so you need to stop and /bind wound every 100 feet or so.

Every zone should have one or two zombies that are slowly chasing you, and if you kill them they just respawn. Gnome zombies.

Glasken
04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't call in the nerf bat for anything, but adding a way to bring certain classes up to par would even things out.

Examples:

Wizards, self-only mana regen (or maybe a pool they can pay into when FM and draw on when OOM), or a long-duration long-refresh line of stun spells that do not do damage similar to the unnerffed enchanter line.

Warriors, a way to close distance between an opponent quickly. Maybe a "charge" or "pounce" button. AoE Taunt.

Rangers, make archery viable in group settings. Up the damage to be similar to two handers and allow them to carry more arrows/scavenge arrows from fallen foes. Maybe some bow-based spells.

Just some ideas, and none of which should ever appear on this server.

Whirled
04-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Remove all gate and port spells and potions and hammers except to hate/sky.

Give sow a dot component so you need to stop and /bind wound every 100 feet or so.

Every zone should have one or two zombies that are slowly chasing you, and if you kill them they just respawn. Gnome zombies.

:D
L0L, make the zombies druids that snare you or rangers tagging people with arrows too

Brut
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Mobs would memblur and forget feigned characters in, say, 1minute?, if you stay FDd.

You know because having to shut the game and restart every time to reset them is kind of all sorts of absolutely bananas retarded.

pasi
04-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Most of the stuff I wanted to change got added in Luclin.

Class balance. Druids get mini-CHeal. Rangers become viable DPS. Casters stop sucking due to a combination of resists being lowered, AAs, and horses.
Gear mattering for non-warriors through vengeance, widespread FT, and focus effects.
Something to do at level cap (AAs).
Group and Raid buffing.
Bazaar (although, I didn't know I wanted this until they did it).

Messianic
04-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Most of what vanilla WoW did encompasses basically everything EQ lacked. More diverse skillsets, reduction of weird forms of kiting in favor of proper character builds/use of abilities, self-gate w/ cooldown for all characters, ways to deal with contested spawns, etc...

If you played Vanilla WoW, the abilities, class types, and even raids (MC rings a bell) bore a distinct resemblance to EQ without falling into many of its pits.

Haynar
04-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Add soulbinders.

Remove rangers. They are a waste of mana.

H

sox7d
04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
No other class than rangers should get track, clerics don't have an insta heal "ability" and necros don't have the inverse. Rangers are gimp enough as it is, let them have something to excel at alone.

All casters besides wizards should have their nuking efficiency toned down, at level 60, druids and mages have 3.2/1 damage to mana ratio, wizards have 3.6/1. Wizards aren't the kings of nuking, they're only slightly better. They should also have a bit more group utility, I really liked SoD's idea by allowing them to give players a dmg proc buff, or if the game could be written as such, spell potency buffs along the lines of the later focus items.

Messianic
04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
All casters besides wizards should have their nuking efficiency toned down, at level 60, druids and mages have 3.2/1 damage to mana ratio, wizards have 3.6/1. Wizards aren't the kings of nuking, they're only slightly better. They should also have a bit more group utility, I really liked SoD's idea by allowing them to give players a dmg proc buff, or if the game could be written as such, spell potency buffs along the lines of the later focus items.

Wizards were always propped up in terms of reputation as a class by "ooh, big numbers" or "omg banezzz" or "Quad kiting is neat!". Otherwise, the class was only a slightly stronger nuker than other classes, which was only relevant for about 60-90 seconds of certain raid battles. Otherwise, the pet classes were vastly superior in every aspect. Rangers > Wizards in sustained DPS, meaning wizards were literally the worst class you could have in a traditional group setting.

This is why I quit my ~50 wizard on live and grinded a monk straight to 60 (often soloing in Sol B/Lguk 50+ since groups were tough to come by unless you had huge blocks of time) and loved every minute of it.

Kika Maslyaka
04-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Most of what vanilla WoW did encompasses basically everything EQ lacked. More diverse skillsets, reduction of weird forms of kiting in favor of proper character builds/use of abilities, self-gate w/ cooldown for all characters, ways to deal with contested spawns, etc...

If you played Vanilla WoW, the abilities, class types, and even raids (MC rings a bell) bore a distinct resemblance to EQ without falling into many of its pits.

+1 or vanilla EQ2 (up to 2nd expansion when they fucked up everything)

specifically:
3 primary tanks instead of 1 super tank and 2 sub-par tanks
3 primary healer classes instead of 1 super healer and 2 sub-par healers

Daldaen
04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Most of the stuff I wanted to change got added in Luclin.

Class balance. Druids get mini-CHeal. Rangers become viable DPS. Casters stop sucking due to a combination of resists being lowered, AAs, and horses.
Gear mattering for non-warriors through vengeance, widespread FT, and focus effects.
Something to do at level cap (AAs).
Group and Raid buffing.
Bazaar (although, I didn't know I wanted this until they did it).

This guy gets it.

Bazaar I can take or leave. Everything else is spot on.

Pint
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
mounts would be nice, also rangers doing more dps even if only with their bows or something.

lecompte
04-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Tone down rangers, they are far too overpowered.

Yonkec
04-29-2014, 03:55 PM
So...what you are saying is we need Lucin and PoP releases?

Kika Maslyaka
04-29-2014, 03:57 PM

not necessarily... just game balance overhaul

sox7d
04-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Minus the zones, sure. Or my idea for PoP, at 60 you can do a quest to help the gods and get sent to PoT, but you can't ever return to norrath. You can visit old players in PoF, PoS, PoG, PoM, PoH, but you can't trade with them.

myriverse
04-29-2014, 04:21 PM
No XP penalties (race or class).
No hell levels and everything that comes with them.

Glenzig
04-29-2014, 04:29 PM
I myself like the harshness of old school eq. Yall can have your "class balance" and mounts, and AA's. Too much of that in new Gen games. No thanks.

sox7d
04-29-2014, 04:36 PM
I myself like the harshness of old school eq. Yall can have your "class balance" and mounts, and AA's. Too much of that in new Gen games. No thanks.

I'm all for subtle imbalance. It's hard to make everything on par with eachother given different play styles, that's why starcraft and starcraft 2 are so revered, completely different play styles in extremely intricuite games with relatively amazing balance between them. However, some classes decisions in EQ are straight up unfair.

Ravager
04-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Assassinate should be a discipline.

Glenzig
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm all for subtle imbalance. It's hard to make everything on par with eachother given different play styles, that's why starcraft and starcraft 2 are so revered, completely different play styles in extremely intricuite games with relatively amazing balance between them. However, some classes decisions in EQ are straight up unfair.

Which classes would you say are unfairly weak?

Champion_Standing
04-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Open up some more class race combos, make ranger DPS on par with monks, reduce ticks to 3 seconds.

Glenzig
04-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Assassinate should be a discipline.

Trainable at lvl 1.

Frieza_Prexus
04-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Remove complete heal and completely re-tune the game without it.

Completely revamp the resistance system and make a lot of bad guys hit with different damage types so that melees are concerned about their resists to mitigate damage while tanking. Give paladins large innate resistances (possibly SK's too) so that you actually have to make strategic decisions into what kind of tank you want for a particular encounter (high AC or high resists, etc.).

Kika Maslyaka
04-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Completely revamp the resistance system and make a lot of bad guys hit with different damage types so that melees are concerned about their resists to mitigate damage while tanking. Give paladins large innate resistances (possibly SK's too) so that you actually have to make strategic decisions into what kind of tank you want for a particular encounter (high AC or high resists, etc.).

/agree

Portasaurus
04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Cheese. And noodles.

Cheese and noodle mechanics are terrible on this server.

Supaskillz
04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Cheese. And noodles.

Cheese and noodle mechanics are terrible on this server.

Are spice options adequate? They seem too limited

Adolphus
04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Game Changes

Hell level death penalty reduced to normal xp loss
Simplify UI with improvements such as raw AC, damage per second
In depth tutorial for each class at the beginning of the game
Significant improvements to crafting - increased viability and use of trash loot
Repair damaged quests, add more quests and make quest rewards more significant
Night time is much darker, with no ability to artificially circumvent via gamma or other graphics effects (distance should be fogged, even when gamma is turned up)

Stat changes:

Simplify stat equations significantly
All stats should be significant in their value to the appropriate class
Monsters should be adjusted relative to the new mechanics for stats

AC

Significant increase in damage mitigation

AGI

Significant increase in damage avoidance

DEX

Affects weapon hit % significantly
Increases the rate of procing more than classic

STA

Gives 50% more HP than classic

STR

Increased damage bonus by 50%

Other

All Soft Caps eliminated
All Hard Caps raised to 300

Class Changes

All class xp penalties eliminated

Paladin/Shadowknight

+25% AC bonus on worn AC

Ranger

Bows damage increased significantly
Special bow abilities for rapid firing and precise shot
Added AGI and DEX bonus in character creation
SOW granted at lvl 30
Quests for better ranger bows added to the game
Arrows can be crafted and be augmented by other classes with special affects

Warrior

Knockdown ability that procs with Bash (knocks mobs on the ground briefly, allowing temporary increased damage and chance to hit)
Taunt is 50% more powerful

Rogue

Significant improvement on poison crafting - poison arrows, weapons
Able to sneak attack for a huge damage bonus

Enchanter

Charm scales based on a mobs intelligence or wisdom - the higher these stats, the easier to remain charmed - low INT/WIS mobs will break very fast
Eliminate the ability to cast resist spells on others
Able to enchant arrows and weapons with minor mesmerize affects

Magician

Able to charm pets, but scales based on a mobs intelligence or wisdom - the lower these stats, the easier to remain charmed - high INT/WIS mobs will break very fast
Significantly better damage shields with more variety
Able to enchant arrows and weapons with Cold or Fire affects
Granted the best Cold and Fire resist spells in the game

Wizard

Granted unresistable nukes
Granted the ability to teleport any player back to the players bind point
Best Magic resist spell in the game
Able to enchant arrows and weapons with Magic affects
Granted Clarity 1 (only) at level 30

Necromancer

Able to enchant arrows and weapons with Disease affects
Able to lifetap mobs and evenly distribute drained HP to group members
Group animal form such as Bat form, Snake form - each granting stat changes

Shaman

Reduce power of Slow spells
Able to enchant arrows and weapons with Slow affects

Bard

No significant changes - stats should be much improves by new mechanics

Druid

Additional group animal forms such as: Bear form, Dolphin/Seal form, Hawk form (flying), Tiger form, each with stat and ability alterations
Outdoor heal similar to torpor
Able to enchant arrows and weapons with Root and Snare affects

Cleric

Granted the ability the resurrect for 20% at level 20, 30% at 30
Granted a very strong RUNE spell that works exclusively against Undead

Monk

Class eliminated from the game

Races

All starting race abilities remain the same

There's probably more I could think of, but don't want to spend too much time dreaming of an ideal EQ. :)

Whyt
04-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Pets wouldn't eat exp , thats it.

Shamalam
04-29-2014, 10:07 PM
I would do unspeakable things for the ability to quickly sell things from my inventory/bags.

Kika Maslyaka
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
nice ideas Adolphus!
except for Monk ;)

kaev
04-29-2014, 11:42 PM
nice ideas Adolphus!
except for Monk ;)

Yeah, he forgot to also mandate deletion of the offender's account. ;)

Tann
04-30-2014, 12:12 AM
increase velious level cap and all high lvl stuffs to 65

add luclin/pop aa's but not those expansions

anyone using luclin models can't progress passed lvl 5*

*exception for those wanting to play cats, let them play cats but required to turn in priest of discord book so that everyone can kill them on sight.

MQ doesn't work for epics unless you're at or above appropriate level.

add in chat channels like they had on live after whatever xpac that was, some of us want to be social butterflies!

Kika Maslyaka
04-30-2014, 12:21 AM
MQ doesn't work for epics unless you're at or above appropriate level.

I would say no MQ PERIOD!

Also put ATUNEABLE tags on all dropeable gear

And nerf the stupid Gnoll Fang quest! On LIVE it never gave any good XP past lev 8

Tann
04-30-2014, 12:26 AM
I would say no MQ PERIOD!

Also put ATUNEABLE tags on all dropeable gear

And nerf the stupid Gnoll Fang quest! On LIVE it never gave any good XP past lev 8

no MQ's at all fine but do the FV style system where all gear is droppable, miss a raid night and epic drop rots.. no fun

Tokai Saikutsu
04-30-2014, 01:12 AM
>>> No MQ's <<<
Bump ranger AC mit, bump wep dmg a tad including bow, sow @ 24,
boost warrior taunt and/or all around agro generation, bump mage pet dmg.
Take epic mobs off of raid rotations or make those items quest based....

unrealistic: Half elf Clerics!!!!

HawkMasterson1999
04-30-2014, 06:17 AM
I would love to to see raid forces limited to 36 players. Some instanced encounters would be cool too if done in a limited way.

Rec
04-30-2014, 06:22 AM
/melody

Lojik
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I'd change pretty much everything about the mechanics of this game. I think the lore, classes/races, and the layout of zones in this game and sense of adventure exploring them is great but everything else if we're talking in terms of 2014 is pretty bad. 15 Years ago sure the mechanics were fun, but we could do so much better now I think in terms of gameplay.

I'd make the melee and ranged combat system more like warband, and the casting system similar to Magicka in terms of having to put together proper combinations to cast spells. You'd probably also have to aim them properly. For resists, spell effects would be reduced based on resistance to that spell. Also would put in a lot of other changes but too many to list here probably.

Trosh
04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Ogre rogues that can backstab with 1HB weapons.

Kika Maslyaka
04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
I liked How EQ2 initially designed healers and tanks.

All healers were equally potent, but healed via different means:
Cleric - direct big heals
Druid - heal over time
Shaman - large runes

At the same time tanks (war, pal, sk) all had similar tanking/mitigation potential but each came with its own side perks, where one was better for single target agro, another for multi target agro, one could pump out extra melee dps, while another could add some healing, etc (encounters were also designed in such way that they would call for a different optimal tank)

So it wasn't just war+cler as the ultimate ONLY raid set up - it was variations of 3 healers/3 tanks that could produce different results based on encounter in question.

Glasken
04-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Ogre rogues that can backstab with 1HB weapons.

Gnome monks.

/thread

khanable
04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
No recharging, no MQ'ing

Iksar rangers

drktmplr12
04-30-2014, 02:34 PM
In depth tutorial for each class at the beginning of the game

made me think of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM)

Ele
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
No recharging, no MQ'ing

nilzark
04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
As I've said before, severe penalties for death including options for perma death or at least letting people loot your loots on your corpse. You don't like people looting your shit? Get some friends to protect your rotting corpse or get back to it quickly mufuka.

Splorf22
04-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Let's be honest: EQ has crap mechanics. Class balance is horrible and raiding isn't particular challenging. There are so many things that could be fixed that it would take me pages to write them all down. Some of the more egregious ones:

Debuff/CC spells costing 1/5 the mana that they should
Paladins and SKs being worthless raid tanks without discs (and having XP penalties on top of them)
Itemization being so bad that AC caps became the primary means of class balance
FD mechanics are completely moronic in pretty much every way. Fun for sure, in some ways, but just mind bogglingly silly when you think about them.
Summoning mobs. Whoever thought up that needs to be slapped with a seabass

What made EQ awesome is and was a) the huge lore and size of the world and b) the deliberate crippling of solo classes (well, most of them).

Dragonmist
04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Add shared bank, allow /bind outside of cities corpse runs would be less annoying...

Brut
04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Oh and Death Touch aka the single lamest mechanic ever.
Here, bring extra players because the boss will take one every 45seconds. Didn't show up past classic era, and for a good reason (sans that retarded snake in ssra).

Supaskillz
04-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Here, bring extra players because the boss will take one every 45seconds. Didn't show up past classic era, and for a good reason (sans that retarded snake in ssra).

Dt is a weird ability, but it does make for some interesting aggro control. It at least has some lore for gods

Brut
04-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Dt is a weird ability, but it does make for some interesting aggro control. It at least has some lore for gods

Really wouldn't defend it, since it's like the absolute cheapest cop out difficulty boost possible. Sky they at least started to get the idea by giving the bosses new AEs instead of dispel gflux to all of them, but they still handed even island7 trash the DT ability.

nilbog
04-30-2014, 09:06 PM
more deaths

Cecily
04-30-2014, 09:15 PM
I would make CT machine gun DTs standard.

Ahldagor
04-30-2014, 09:34 PM
more deaths

https://warosu.org/data/tg/img/0256/84/1372391550804.png

kaev
04-30-2014, 10:46 PM
This:

Let's be honest: EQ has crap mechanics. Class balance is horrible and raiding isn't particular challenging. There are so many things that could be fixed that it would take me pages to write them all down. Some of the more egregious ones:

Debuff/CC spells costing 1/5 the mana that they should
Paladins and SKs being worthless raid tanks without discs (and having XP penalties on top of them)
Itemization being so bad that AC caps became the primary means of class balance
FD mechanics are completely moronic in pretty much every way. Fun for sure, in some ways, but just mind bogglingly silly when you think about them.
Summoning mobs. Whoever thought up that needs to be slapped with a seabass

What made EQ awesome is and was a) the huge lore and size of the world and b) the deliberate crippling of solo classes (well, most of them).

also:

No recharging, no MQ'ing

and:

Kika Maslyaka
04-30-2014, 11:29 PM

I agree actually. Better give Boss a special DoT which will kill the player in say 18 seconds unless player does something special to prevent it.
Boss agro mechanics could also use some variety and ingenuity. Boss that memblurs himself every so often. Boss that switches targets.

EQ2 actually had fun mechanics where mob could taunt a player - your targeting would switch from say cleric mob to a warrior mob, and become locked for like 10 seconds, preventing you concentrating on killing the cleric.

Tarbos
05-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Shm and Dru rezzes. I played a Clr on live for 10 years. One of the best days was when those suckers got rezz...finally someone else could come to the rescue of soloing dead guildmates who died at the end of the world.

Do not stop with Velious. I would not say I particularly liked Luclin, the raids were mostly endurance tests than anything else but stagnation is never good.

Buellen
05-01-2014, 11:47 PM
of the top me head

1. REmoved the Halving part of damage calculation for bows. I remember when it was done accidently ranger where like hot dam !!! but i also enjoyed on a war and paladin i had at that time.

2. So what if ranger kites a mob let them crit mobs like if they are rooted and facing away. let other bow user gain this ability at set skill level probably different for every class that can use a bow.

3. Ranger should crit with bow from level 1. other bow using classes gain this abilty with increased skill levels.

4. Crafting of arrows that do different function stun , dots , snare. said arrows would only be usable when mob at set distance .

5. allow bows to do 2hblunt damage based on the qualty of the bow

Tasslehofp99
05-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Mobs would memblur and forget feigned characters in, say, 1minute?, if you stay FDd.

You know because having to shut the game and restart every time to reset them is kind of all sorts of absolutely bananas retarded.

This! Why pathing mobs don't reset after a certain amount of time is absolutely absurd to me.

Also, I would do away with casting mobs continuing their casts after a character feigns. Or, at the very least do away with it breaking your FD. Although I suppose this would make monks entirely too powerful.

Stonecrush
05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
sounds like a lot of ideas stemming from WoW designs and what Live already has...

Maybe someone here should make another emu server and see how it works out?

To the OP. I wouldn't change a thing. I feel a lot of the content requires the dynamics of most of the classes depending on what you are doing.

I did see a lot of the nerf bats flying or the "I want everything" for my class. Just learn the class, learn the limits and accept the difficulties. This game is based off no forgiveness and punishment for mistakes. Like that dominatrix you always wanted...

P1999 EQ dominates so many games I've played in the past. From Live, EQ2, WoW (Yuck), Vanguard (moment of silence). Age of Conan... hah.

Other games I won't mention because of limited play time or relevance.

The current design of EQ is at its core perfect to me. When the exploits that become abused, that's where the problems start. Unfortunately you cannot control someone finding exploits on content they've already played. Live with it, roll into your own world, get into your community of friends, try some content with actual risks and enjoy what the classes have to offer.

The last thing I'll add. I see a lot of comments for change that could be solved for 14 bucks and a live account. /salute. Back to the grind.

sox7d
05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
sounds like a lot of ideas stemming from WoW designs and what Live already has...

Maybe someone here should make another emu server and see how it works out?

To the OP. I wouldn't change a thing. I feel a lot of the content requires the dynamics of most of the classes depending on what you are doing.

I did see a lot of the nerf bats flying or the "I want everything" for my class. Just learn the class, learn the limits and accept the difficulties. This game is based off no forgiveness and punishment for mistakes. Like that dominatrix you always wanted...

P1999 EQ dominates so many games I've played in the past. From Live, EQ2, WoW (Yuck), Vanguard (moment of silence). Age of Conan... hah.

Other games I won't mention because of limited play time or relevance.

The current design of EQ is at its core perfect to me. When the exploits that become abused, that's where the problems start. Unfortunately you cannot control someone finding exploits on content they've already played. Live with it, roll into your own world, get into your community of friends, try some content with actual risks and enjoy what the classes have to offer.

The last thing I'll add. I see a lot of comments for change that could be solved for 14 bucks and a live account. /salute. Back to the grind.

This server is like 1/4 nostalgia, 1/4 masochism and 1/2 fun. SoD meets those requirements, but it's missing some of the nostalgia and masochism.

Hamahakki
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
A Spell Power mechanic so DPS casters can actually scale instead of just getting bigger mana pools

Daldaen
05-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Both Cursed and Shei Vinitras in Akhevans ruins had that effect.

However the Cursed one you could circumvent via using bard DA to pull and killing it in 2 minutes which was the recharge iirc which was doable with a good sized raid.

Shei was easily the best event mechanics wise from Luclin era. Even with that. Death adds to punish zerging, adds to CC for enchanters, mana drain aura in room so placement was key, adds to kite/offtank for knights, DT forced tank switch... It was an awesome event. Rampage which crushed if you didn't keep up your paladin RT... Luclin, so hot right now, Luclin.

Planar DTs are dumb though, I agree.

Keeper of Souls is up top for dumb mechanic award. Kill a mob and wait 70minutes, so stupid. The zone was designed to be done linearly. Without hax pulling between islands, waiting for him to spawn was very stupid.

Zuranthium
05-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Combat system needs a total revamp. Melee are mind-numbingly boring, "healing" is horrendously basic (and restricted to Clerics only for much of the game), and ranged damage is far less interesting than it should be. The one thing classic Everquest does have going for it is crowd control; that aspect should be even more refined to increase skill level and constant interaction.

Each class should be able to specialize in very different ways so that there is far more diversity.

Long-duration buffs (other than for travel) should be removed. Short-duration buffs that require actual thought in-combat should be there instead. "Buffing" in general is not even needed very much at all; it's simply a static increase in some manner. Other types of effects lead to much more interesting gameplay.

AI of PvE encounters should be improved, although that's a somewhat different and more difficult beast to tackle. Still, it needs to happen.

Health and energy ("mana" and "stamina" combined into one thing) regeneration should be increased. Downtime should still be necessary, but not to the insane lengths that were in Classic EQ. This would allow for a much wider range of group setups, which also deepens gameplay because most group setups would be unique, and you would be constantly figuring out how to maximize your skillsets while playing together.

A forward-thinking meld of Classic EQ and Guild Wars 1, implemented with unique and visionary style, is what I'm looking for. That would be the best game ever.

Kika Maslyaka
05-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Long-duration buffs (other than for travel) should be removed. Short-duration buffs that require actual thought in-combat should be there instead. "Buffing" in general is not even needed very much at all; it's simply a static increase in some manner. Other types of effects lead to much more interesting gameplay.

I agree on this point. Buffing as part of mechanic grew out of proportions later on in the game. Raids would spend 30-60 min just pre-buffing 40+ people force with dozens and dozens of spells, trying to squeeze out every extra AC and hp.
This is broken mechanics inmo.

I understand Cleric having 1-2 long term ac/hp buffs, but having dozens of stackable buffs on a single char all of which near mandatory gets ridiculous.
Short term combat situation buffs that last 18-30 sec by give substation boost, would make for more interesting mechanics.

Self only buffs that lasts for hours are also sort of pointless - they may as well be innate bonuses of a class.

Of course their is a Mass Dispel effects to consider used by dragons/gods, which were essentially original devs counter idea to battle the raids that were buffed to the teeth. Which players countered with another dozen of dummy buffs.

Locust
05-04-2014, 01:34 AM
No recharging, no MQ'ing

Iksar rangers

Cecily
05-04-2014, 02:04 AM
but having dozens of stackable buffs on a single char ... Which players countered with another dozen of dummy buffs.

So we're up to.. 36? buff slots right?

Cecily
05-04-2014, 02:11 AM
A forward-thinking meld of Classic EQ and Guild Wars 1, implemented with unique and visionary style, is what I'm looking for. That would be the best game ever.

I highlighted the buzz words for you. They don't mean anything, stop it. And stop advertising games with them,
since you are probably the person who is responsible for those advertisements .

pasi
05-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Both Cursed and Shei Vinitras in Akhevans ruins had that effect.

However the Cursed one you could circumvent via using bard DA to pull and killing it in 2 minutes which was the recharge iirc which was doable with a good sized raid.

Shei was easily the best event mechanics wise from Luclin era. Even with that. Death adds to punish zerging, adds to CC for enchanters, mana drain aura in room so placement was key, adds to kite/offtank for knights, DT forced tank switch... It was an awesome event. Rampage which crushed if you didn't keep up your paladin RT... Luclin, so hot right now, Luclin.

Planar DTs are dumb though, I agree.

Keeper of Souls is up top for dumb mechanic award. Kill a mob and wait 70minutes, so stupid. The zone was designed to be done linearly. Without hax pulling between islands, waiting for him to spawn was very stupid.

I like you and approve of this post. Luclin added so much to this game, but will be forever hated due to the presentation of the content.

Shei was such a great fight. I'll be a hipster and say Ring of Fear was my favorite fight from that era though - when it didn't bug out. Shei and Emp were right behind it though.

Zuranthium
05-04-2014, 02:25 AM
I highlighted the buzz words for you. They don't mean anything, stop it. And stop advertising games with them,
since you are probably the person who is responsible for those advertisements .

Da fck? Of course they mean something.

Forward thinking = removing/refining outdated mechanics and always thinking of the best ones instead of clinging to the past

Unique and visionary style = an immersive high-fantasy game world with its own individual feel, plenty of quirks, and breathtaking locations/visuals

Maybe too much rainbow unicorn attack has rotted your brain? Knowledge and expertise should be shared, not sure what you're blabbering about with regards to advertisements.

Ciroco
05-04-2014, 02:31 AM
It would be nice if agility and dexterity were useful. Procs don't count.

justin2090
05-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Make taunt warrior only and increase its CD to 30 sec. Taunt would also proc both weapons for snap aggro.

Cecily
05-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Da fck? Of course they mean something.

Forward thinking = removing/refining outdated mechanics and always thinking of the best ones instead of clinging to the past

Unique and visionary style = an immersive high-fantasy game world with its own individual feel, plenty of quirks, and breathtaking locations/visuals

That's not what those words mean. Back on topic, get rid of all the players and wipe it clean.

Kika Maslyaka
05-04-2014, 11:25 AM
It would be nice if agility and dexterity were useful. Procs don't count.

+1

webrunner5
05-04-2014, 11:46 AM
There should have NEVER been a hybrid XP penalty for Ranger, Paladin. I can sort of see the penality for Iksar Monks and the Troll, Iksar regen advantage they have. But 68% for SK's crazy. Bard also. Way too overpowered at lower levels.

But they did see the error of their screw up and changed it in Velious.

moklianne
05-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Implement a raid window, similar to the one that came out in Luclin or PoP. I can't remember which expansion had it. You can allow specific individuals or groups or everyone to loot in the raid. It would help with looting issues when one group in a raid gets the kill and everyone has to wait for the corpse to open up for someone at the raid to loot it.

Also chat channels would be stellar, thanks!

Zalora
05-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Implement more methods for removing currency from the game. Most modern MMOs have elements such as auction house fees, repair costs, etc to combat inflation. Everquest continually generates game currency with no drain, creating ridiculous inflation and people having literally millions of plat.

Cecily
05-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Casino in Shadowhaven! One ticket to the moon, please.

Kika Maslyaka
05-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Implement more methods for removing currency from the game. Most modern MMOs have elements such as auction house fees, repair costs, etc to combat inflation. Everquest continually generates game currency with no drain, creating ridiculous inflation and people having literally millions of plat.

+1

Especially on a a subject on forced cash sinks - not TradeSkills that produce barely usefully items after pouring millions into them - but causal daily sinks:

Spire Teleporters - scion at spire will teleport you to another spire for plat= your lev. So at lev 60 it will cost you 60plat.

Soulbinders - same thing -you pay plat to get bind, but you won't have wait for one for 45 min, specially if you decided to hunt in some remote location like Erudin

webrunner5
05-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Casino in Shadowhaven! One ticket to the moon, please.

Wow, Shadowhaven Casino. The dreaded Gold Tickets. Talk about a plat drain. :D:D

Daldaen
05-05-2014, 11:57 AM
The casino was a GoD addition.

Ravager
05-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Would have left the level cap at 50, or scaled old raid content to the level 60 cap. It bothers me that dragons and gods become trivial.

myriverse
05-05-2014, 12:31 PM

+1

Especially on a a subject on forced cash sinks - not TradeSkills that produce barely usefully items after pouring millions into them - but causal daily sinks:

Spire Teleporters - scion at spire will teleport you to another spire for plat= your lev. So at lev 60 it will cost you 60plat.

Soulbinders - same thing -you pay plat to get bind, but you won't have wait for one for 45 min, specially if you decided to hunt in some remote location like Erudin
I like these.

kaev
05-05-2014, 12:36 PM
That's not what those words mean. Back on topic, get rid of all the players and wipe it clean.

Once you've gotten rid of all the players, what would be the point of wiping the player DB? I mean, it's true that the storage could be used for something else, porn maybe? But the player DB probably doesn't take up enough space to store more than a couple seconds of video at any decent resolution. You really shouldn't be advocating the waste of electrons required to wipe it. Think of the electrons man!!!

Ikonoclastia
05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
You'll hate me but I loved FVs trivial loot code :) no more deep reds farming green zones

Zuranthium
05-06-2014, 01:03 AM
You'll hate me but I loved FVs trivial loot code :) no more deep reds farming green zones

An ideal version of Everquest wouldn't have so much static content anyway. People would actually have to adventure constantly.