PDA

View Full Version : i need some fairly unbiased news sources.

Nuggie
04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Currently I try to balance out my crazy-left's with my crazy-right's by reading both CNN and FOX.

What small name news sources are out there that have a decent looking website that doesn't go crazy conspiracy theory on us?

mtb tripper
04-27-2014, 01:50 PM
CNN is actually fairly unbiased, MSNBC is the more left wing news

HeallunRumblebelly
04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
NPR isn't bad. They usually segregrate fact from the opinion sections well. BBC is decent when it's talking internationally about things that don't directly effect it. Al Jazeera America is surprisingly decent, but I think that's mostly because the US federal government has been lobbing political softballs to pundits for some time now.

BigHurb
04-27-2014, 02:24 PM
news.google.com

phacemeltar
04-27-2014, 03:04 PM
it would be nice if something like this existed. honestly, i think it should be a free world resource. unfortunately, people are naturally biased.

Ames who?
04-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Currently I try to balance out my crazy-left's with my crazy-right's by reading both CNN and FOX.

What small name news sources are out there that have a decent looking website that doesn't go crazy conspiracy theory on us?

BBC World News is pretty decent. PBS news hour is very good at being impartial as well.

Glenzig
04-27-2014, 04:34 PM
There are no unbiased news agencies anymore. Actually there never really were. The whole point of news agencies is to give you the news they want you to hear, with the spin they want you to accept. Sorry.

Kraftwerk
04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I like zerohedge. They have a bit of a bias toward the belief that society as we know it is ending soon. But they have lots of good articles.

BigHurb
04-27-2014, 05:51 PM
yea thats why i linked news.google.com you can read multiples of many aggregated shits... also Slashdot.org is good

BlkCamel
04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
BBC World News is pretty decent. PBS news hour is very good at being impartial as well.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/16290/pbs_bought_and_paid_for

I wouldn't trust PBS Newshour for being impartial. They have had several programs identified as bought and paid for. Who knows how long this is going on and if they will continue.

Ahldagor
04-27-2014, 07:22 PM
news companies are in business to make money. what y'all thinking? pbs, npr, and bbc are the closest to non-biased that you can get unless you want to spend 10hrs a day reading foreign and domestic news to get perspective on all sides of an event.

Sirken
04-27-2014, 07:22 PM

heres what you do,

step 1) listen to (in any order, i just went by alphabetical) BBC, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, Whatever Else.
step 2) accept the fact that all those organizations are owned by people with their own agendas and will twist, or (in some cases) lie, or just outright make shit up on the spot to support their arguments.
step 3) realize that you're not a dumb sheep, and that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the bullshit, and that you'll never find a legit one stop shop for accurate political news.
step 4) after gathering all the infos, come to your own conclusion based on the information provided to you.

any one who religiously believes everything they hear on FOX, or MSNBC, (or any of them really) is a fucking moron, and shouldnt be allowed to procreate or operate heavy machinery, for the safety of everyone around them.

this message has been brought to you by Sirken's Super Pac!
(see what i did there?)

Ahldagor
04-27-2014, 07:32 PM
where can i donate to the super pac? i'm okay with handling testicles for castration.

Nuggie
04-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks peeps so far.

Any more small name sites folks haven't mentioned yet?

Lron, stop posting in my threads, I have you on ignore.

The point of this, btw, is some news companies won't report issues that are hurtful to their "side."

Such as the left wing sites not reporting on the current administration's weak foreign policy. Or right wing sites not reporting bush had issues keeping putin in line also.

I'm hoping to find more sites to hear about the stories the other news agencies don't have the balls to publish.

Ames who?
04-27-2014, 08:23 PM
http://inthesetimes.com/article/16290/pbs_bought_and_paid_for

I wouldn't trust PBS Newshour for being impartial. They have had several programs identified as bought and paid for. Who knows how long this is going on and if they will continue.

Yea I'll trust the oxford journal over a random website that I have never heard of before.

"The most centrist media outlets were PBS NewsHour, CNN's Newsnight, and ABC's Good Morning America" - Source - http://qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/120/4/1191.abstract

BlkCamel
04-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Yea I'll trust the oxford journal over a random website that I have never heard of before.

"The most centrist media outlets were PBS NewsHour, CNN's Newsnight, and ABC's Good Morning America" - Source - http://qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/120/4/1191.abstract

that was just a quick google link to show. There are many other publications that have written about this.

Tasslehofp99
04-27-2014, 08:35 PM
There are no unbiased news agencies anymore. Actually there never really were. The whole point of news agencies is to give you the news they want you to hear, with the spin they want you to accept. Sorry.

Not to mention all mainstream media outlets are 100% controlled by the United States government. Nothing is ever said without their approval.

Freedom of the press? pfffft

I would also go as far as saying that in today's world trying to differentiate between left wing/right wing is useless. In the United States they are on the same team now, and their job is only to put on a show for the American people ;) Think of the US government as pro-wrestling; they go out and bash eachother in front of the people and then go back to the same locker room and pat eachother on the back at the end of the day.

Leeyuuduu
04-27-2014, 08:49 PM
As an American myself I have to say most American news outlets are trash now. Even those without significant bias (such as CNN, maybe) have sloppy journalism, poor writing, and an overabundance of sensationalist articles. It's pretty obvious that interns are writing a lot of the articles (spelling errors, copy and pastes from elsewhere, repeated information, etc.).

If you really want mostly un-biased news with an international outlook, I would read BBC or Al-Jazeera. If you want high-quality journalism and are willing to pay, then I'd recommend The Economist, which is politically moderate - a bit liberal-leaning by US standards, but fairly conservative by European standards (mostly due to their pro-business/pro-free market/small government outlook).

moklianne
04-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Cable news is useless, IMO. Local network news is decent. BBC is good, but slightly slanted to the left. Its pretty pathetic though that cable news like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC keep their news mostly in the US with a few external stories here and there. You'd swear nothing happens in the rest of the world according to these three unless it is to cement the need for a smaller/bigger government. They all blow.

Slightly OT, but the podcast called "Left, Right and Center" is decent for commentary on the week's big topics.

I try to find balanced news commentary and podcasts, but its difficult to find a conservative one that isn't blatenly hateful or a liberal one that doesn't mock everyone else that disagrees.

Al-jazeera America is pretty good.

Messianic
04-27-2014, 10:38 PM
You're asking a poor question. It's not which sources are unbiased; it's which facts are true and which conclusions are valid based on decently verified fact. For that, you just have to hear stuff out. There isn't some outlet in your wall you can just plug into and receive truth into your brain that you don't have to sift, question, and doubt.

You have to go outside, chop the damn thing down, cut it into pieces, and put a tarp over it to protect it against the rain of people who are intellectually lazy and dishonest, which share bullcrap on their facebook pages just because it reinforces their feelings of being right all the time, because they're more interested in the perception of being right than honestly evaluating the reason of their adversaries.

Bias is an attribute of news, but it's not anywhere near the most important one. An article can be ridiculously biased yet still present a ton of valid reasoning and well validated facts.

Nuggie
04-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks again for the continued input and opinions. And for not turning this into RnF.

Scrooge
04-28-2014, 05:56 AM
I'd say all Mainstream Media News channels are biased, that's my opinon on it. Any one of their news anchors who try to say anything which isn't handed to them in a script, get fired soon as the news are over. I'd recommend looking for stable alternate media news sources, if you're looking for some semblance of truth from your news reading.

Tradesonred
07-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Crazy left, CNN? Dang dawg, heres some sites so left that they must be run by Satan himself

www.democracynow.org With Amy goodman, daily 1 hour show

www.Commondreams.org

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

http://www.globalresearch.ca/

Millburn
07-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Guardian yet.

Swish
07-05-2014, 02:14 PM
The BBC is probably one of the best for appearing impartial, but their mask is cracking. The establishment don't like to be challenged and in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tOLsSYglk) they spent about 3-4 minutes trying to discredit a growing political party that doesn't want to be in a political union with the EU.

Also they called the collapse of WTC building 7...15-20 minutes before it happened.

I watch Russia Today (www.rt.com) and smaller channels if I watch the news at all, which isn't often, but with an open mind knowing they're obviously pro Russia and anti Europe/US.

Faron
07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
OP, do you mean you are looking for more center-leaning sources?

LulzSect
07-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Ever.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
07-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Kinda off topic a bit but to really understand the media you need to read Manufacturing Consent, seminal work written in 1988 (i think). Not inaccessible reading, and still very relevant.

Tradesonred
07-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Kinda off topic a bit but to really understand the media you need to read Manufacturing Consent, seminal work written in 1988 (i think). Not inaccessible reading, and still very relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhEBCWMe44

Documentary about the book and ideas in the book

DetroitVelvetSmooth
07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhEBCWMe44

Documentary about the book and ideas in the book

Ensuring no one will ever actually read the book. Fuck it, better than nothing.

Oleris
07-05-2014, 07:09 PM
russia today, al jazeerah

thedezgyrl
07-15-2014, 10:56 PM
I personally just google, read blogs, wiki, and snopes certain stories. I stopped watching the news due to it being depressing. I instead like a lot of news pages in my social media avenues like FB and Twitter. So I can keep up to date at my leisure and not unexpectedly get hit with unwanted feels.