PDA

View Full Version : everything, in due time

phacemeltar
04-24-2014, 03:53 PM
will be taxed and regulated:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/health-experts-anxious-see-fda-rules-e-cigarettes-n86836

Ahldagor
04-24-2014, 10:27 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if those vapors were worse for you than cigarettes.

Azure
04-24-2014, 10:50 PM
They heat up a mixture of water, nicotine and propylene glycol — mixed with other flavors and chemicals. Right now, e-cigarette makers don’t have to say what’s in them. All the experts NBC News spoke with want the FDA to force makers to disclose ingredients at the very least.

They also want FDA to ban sales to anyone under 18 and to limit or ban ads — especially ads that seem geared to children and teenagers. Any more than that is unlikely, says Gregg Haifley, federal relations director for the American Cancer Society’s lobbying arm, the ACS Cancer Action Network.

“We are faced with this initial hurdle of FDA asserting its authority over these products. It is going to be a long and cumbersome process,” Haifley said.

FDA did try once before, saying e-cigarettes were medical devices. But the tobacco companies challenged this and won in federal appeals courts, which said they should be regulated as tobacco products. And FDA launched its first anti-smoking campaign earlier this year, with graphic images targeting teens. The agency took a tentative first regulatory action against a tobacco product in February, ordering a company to stop selling cigarette-like products called bidis.

Seems like the system is working as intended. The first move by the FDA to label them medical devices was genuinely dumb and a bad move.

But otherwise the FDA has been constitutionally granted to the authority to make this shit labeled appropriately which is good.

Fucking people don't read the labels and do their own research anyway. But at the very least it's halfway decent. And unfortunate we need to waste money on an organization to get the very least in human decency done.

P.S. I have no problem of anyone of any age destroying their lungs or brains with chemicals so long as we aren't unduly forced to pay for it when it is a known situation. And they've been fully educated and given programs and opportunities to help them stop. (Some support for the greater good and all that might not be bad). But these fucking walmart babies smoking themselves into the pavement deserve zero pity. Mercy yes. But not pity or support for their actions.

Last, I'm pretty sure E-cigs are less bad than old school cigs. And I know one person who smokes them but doesn't always smoke nicotine, but some flavored shit (god knows what). So they "may" be doing themselves a favor with basically using a nebulizer.

mtb tripper
04-24-2014, 11:05 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if those vapors were worse for you than cigarettes.

I think they are honestly

BigHurb
04-24-2014, 11:08 PM
^ qualifies as expert testimony if working for the DEA

Sarajo
04-24-2014, 11:13 PM
The article is funny, to me, because of the talk about flavors that attract children. When Obama first showed up with the healthcare talk, one of the first things to go was Clove cigarettes etc.
Remember Camel Crush? The original ones, with citrus fruit flavors and shit? Those, and vanilla, and chocolate, and all kinds of wonderful flavors for adults who enjoyed smoking were outlawed. Menthols BARELY survived the reform.

Djarums, I really miss you. (I kept 3 pre-ban packs for 4 years until I moved... gave them away to an aficionado I worked with)

So I'm not surprised that they're going after flavored vapes.