PDA

View Full Version : Mage Exp Questions

Halius
04-17-2014, 01:55 PM
So wanted to throw another question out for my mage. I feel like lately I have been getting a bit more playing time but I still feel like I am leveling too slowly. I have tried soloing spots according to the guides on the wiki (there are only 2 guides) and crag spiders in EK are ok, but are netting about 1% or a little less per kill. I have tried ill omen near the windmill but it is about the same exp as the crag spiders. And I have also tired Oasis with crocs which are also about 1% per kill.

On one of the guides it is saying that in Oasis I should be netting about 2% per kill which I have yet to see anywhere I go, and also that I should be gaining about a level every 2 hours which I have not. Maybe I am just doing something wrong here but I was just wondering if anyone recommends any other spots to level. I have been keeping my max level pet out each time I play, I am not re-summoning on each pull to net the full exp but neither of the guides say to do that until like 39+.

Anyways, long winded post I just want to know if anyone has some other strategies I can use to level my mage more quickly. I just want to make the most of my time when I play and I feel like I am moving a lot slower than the norm. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Velerin
04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
It's a little more dangerous but worth it at that level. Learn najena entrance. The zem is really nice and once you learn the spawns it gets safer. I think at that level the Tentacle terrors will be good, plus the skeletons. A lot of greenie aggro near entrance but no big deal for mages since pet can kill while you med.

Halius
04-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Awesome thank you for the advice. I know there is a per level hunting guide on the wiki too I just wanted to hear from some personal experience of other mages. I don't feel like running everywhere only to find that either I can't solo it or the exp is not very good.

baalzy
04-17-2014, 06:39 PM
The guides on the wiki were likely written back when you'd get full xp from a mob as long as you did 1 point of damage before your pet killed it.

With the higher aggro being generated by pets I'd recommend either 1) Nuking more or 2) Using reclaim energy to get a new pet each round.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-17-2014, 07:33 PM
The guides on the wiki were likely written back when you'd get full xp from a mob as long as you did 1 point of damage before your pet killed it.

With the higher aggro being generated by pets I'd recommend either 1) Nuking more or 2) Using reclaim energy to get a new pet each round.

This.

It gets substantially easier starting at 29 when your pet spells cost a flat 200 mana. This continues till 49. Fire pet Ftw.

Priceline
04-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Not sure how accurate your sig is but my mage is also lv22 and since 20 i've been exping in OT by this little pond near east wall of the zone i think. reclaiming pet method is yielding about 1-3% per kill depending on the mob level.

I plan on staying here till about 24 then moving to WW giant fort, was listed in a guide somewhere as the place to go.

Priceline
04-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Truth, one of the 2 mage guides even mentions that you only need to use the lvl1 nuke to get full xp.

I tried the nuking more and keeping 1 pet out, its aight, but the xp is at least double the rate if you reclaim each fight.

Halius
04-18-2014, 01:02 PM
I may have to try the reclaim method, I always just heard it really isn't mana efficient until you get to like 39+ or something. Also my sig is accurate, level 22 =). I am camped in Najena right now, but maybe at some point I'll move back over to OT and try it out, thanks everyone for the help!

Priceline
04-18-2014, 06:24 PM
I may have to try the reclaim method, I always just heard it really isn't mana efficient until you get to like 39+ or something. Also my sig is accurate, level 22 =). I am camped in Najena right now, but maybe at some point I'll move back over to OT and try it out, thanks everyone for the help!

Yes it currently is not that efficient at 22, the pet costs 200 mana which is like at least 35% of my untwinked mana bar. However the xp is still much faster even with a bit of downtime.

Frug
04-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Group. More fun. Or duo - at least the 1/2 XP you're not getting is going to someone else rather than being lost.

And as far as mana efficient... it's not REAGENT efficient. Unless you're independently wealthy at 22, a gem per kill is damned expensive.

Priceline
04-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Group. More fun. Or duo - at least the 1/2 XP you're not getting is going to someone else rather than being lost.

And as far as mana efficient... it's not REAGENT efficient. Unless you're independently wealthy at 22, a gem per kill is damned expensive.

the OT merbs i've been killing drop upward of 5 gold each, tigers drop fangs that sell for 8 or 9 gold, cactus people drop stackable sap that sells for over 1 gold each, the lil chickens drop beaks that sell for 7 or 8 gold each..

1 stack of malachite is 1 platinum and change iirc, each time i had to gate back and vendor i pulled in at least 20pp and that is more than enough to cover a full bag of malachite.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-25-2014, 01:39 PM
the OT merbs i've been killing drop upward of 5 gold each, tigers drop fangs that sell for 8 or 9 gold, cactus people drop stackable sap that sells for over 1 gold each, the lil chickens drop beaks that sell for 7 or 8 gold each..

1 stack of malachite is 1 platinum and change iirc, each time i had to gate back and vendor i pulled in at least 20pp and that is more than enough to cover a full bag of malachite.

This. Reclaiming is not expensive at all.

And duoing is by far the most superior method for levelling. Especially with another Mage and both of you have fire pets. The pets will juggle agro between eachother and your only responsibility is nuking and resummoning a pet upon pet death.

Frug
04-27-2014, 01:51 PM
This. Reclaiming is not expensive at all.

And duoing is by far the most superior method for levelling. Especially with another Mage and both of you have fire pets. The pets will juggle agro between eachother and your only responsibility is nuking and resummoning a pet upon pet death.

Why would you reclaim in a duo? Pet's don't eat XP in groups.

(Edit - I misread your message; I see what you're saying. Ignore that last sentence.)

Nagash
04-27-2014, 02:46 PM

(Edit - I misread your message; I see what you're saying. Ignore that last sentence.)

After testing quite a bit, I am persuaded that they do but following an odd formula:
1- Take the pet that did most damage
2- Take the total damage done by the players
3- Ignore the second pet and the DS
If 2>1, you get full xp otherwise the pet eat some xp.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-27-2014, 03:07 PM

Didn't mean to type it like that. Soloing you would reclaim when possible.

Halius
04-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone for all the solid information. I will put it to good use, hopefully I can find a good duo partner to hang with. I was out of town so I was unable to respond to this thread but I really appreciate all the replies. Thank you!

Sivaeb
05-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Halius, how has the leveling been going?