PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Solo?

Rakurai
04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
I went with a Rogue for pure melee for my alt as I never even started one on live. After reading a lot of posts I am thinking I should have gone Monk because I want to have the ability to solo as well.. I guess what i am saying is, do rogues hold up even moderately well when they try to solo or will i get smashed later on... I am not expecting to be DRU/BArd caliber by any means but want to be able to while i wait on a list for a group. Thoughts and rants/Flames all welcome!

Giren
04-15-2014, 09:14 PM
It "might" be possible to solo super light blue mobs if you have the gear. Overall, you'd probably get smashed.

Are you hoping to raid with this alt? If so, rogues are awesome. If not... you might be happier with a different class.

Rakurai
04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Yes I am planning on raiding with this toon! I know I will have to be in groups a lot that is fine but I was hoping to kill stuff while I waited on lists if at all possible

Giren
04-15-2014, 09:26 PM
That's what /gems is for. :)

Cyrano
04-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Not sure what your means are but I soloed my rogue to 51 or 52 with a fungi, epic, and intimidate. Lots of sitting around and pestering people in zone for buffs but I was able to level really fast to that point. Once you move into Karnors and other dungeons though it's not worth the time.

I'd also buy some sow pots if you go this route.

fishingme
04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
If you're starting out new, I'd roll a monk. You can get a pretty good idea of the game as one, as well as some leniency when it comes to the "oops" moments. A fantastic thing about the monk though which i completely miss is that you control your groups xp intake with your pulls.

Gaunja
04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
I love rogues in my groups. Get in touch this weekend for my 72 hr grind session lol.

Ravager
04-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Soloing a rogue, even with cheap gear, is possible, but a lot of work, slow going, and it takes familiarity with the game's mechanics. A soloing rogue relies mostly on tricks to survive, which I guess is a good way to roleplay them.

You also won't have a lot of mobs to choose from and will be limited to outdoor zones. Stay stocked on sow pots for when you need to get away and bandages to lessen the down time a little.

Serrated Bone Dirks and Instill Doubt are good for fear kiting 27+.

Learn how to time a passthrough backstab to get the most out of your dps.

If you can find blue casters that you can get single, they're bread and butter. With your fast weapons you can stand on top of the mob and push it when it casts, interrupting its spells or swing around behind it and backstab it while it's casting. They can't attack while they're casting, so if you can interrupt all their spells, you'll take very little damage.

Learn how to sneak pull to get singles out of a group.

Poisons are expensive, but even the Contact Poison I wasp poison can give you essentially an extra backstab of damage at the start of the fight and is easy enough to make.

WC caps can save you from a lengthy corpse run. Root nets can help you get away too. Reaper of the Dead is good for a rogue Lay of Hands. Red Wood Wands can be used for kiting if you have the plat to recharge them, or to finish a mob off in a close fight.

Soloing a rogue, you can probably expect to kill a mob once every 10-20 minutes, so it's horribly inefficient.

A monk can solo faster, get out of trouble easier, solo indoors and is way less gear dependent. A monk with a Wu's Staff and little else can solo to 50 if he knows what mobs to kill.

Raavak
04-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Rogues don't have to wait long for groups, I wouldn't think. High dps with no downtime is highly sought after. Your time would be better spent searching for and/or organizing exp groups than soloing.

Trosh
04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I remember back in 2000 or so my friend was a rogue, and he had a truly terrible time leveling, simply because it is basically impossible unless twinked out of your mind, to solo effectively past lvl 5 or so as a rogue.

They have the same problems as warriors trying to solo, except they have no AC and get spanked around much harder.