PDA

View Full Version : Class balance when Velious hits?

Wecoan
04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
After a little while playing some classes in several zones I've realised that the classes I really want to play (Paladin/Ranger) are considered the most useless at 60, especially ranger it seems. Will there be a power shift when velious hits? Anything particularly good that either of these classes will get that might bring them back into fruition?

If the answer is yes, it will heavily decide my class to main.

Giren
04-15-2014, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't classify the two as useless. Just that the roles they play are done better by other classes. :D (i know i know, semantics)

Brell's line and ranger buff line are the biggest contribution they have to a raid setting that no other class can fill. You're looking at one of each then just for buffing purposes.

Downside, these spell lines don't come in until Velious. Upside, it's a slight swing in their favor once Velious launches.

Regardless though, it's more important that you play a class that you enjoy. You'll be more likely to stick it through to max level and be happier overall thus making those around you just a little bit happier as well.

Erydan Ouragan
04-15-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't know much about paladins, but rangers became something when Shadows of Luclin went live. Crit AAs, Archery mastery 3/3 and endless quiver made that happen.

Without AAs rangers are basically melee dps that generate a lot of threat and can't tank, with the added bonus of having shitty druid spells. The only thing they have going for them (in my opinion) is the best tracking in the game, so if you play one you might find a spot in a raiding guild as a tracker for raid spawns.

Thulack
04-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Considered useless and actually being useless are 2 different things. Dont think ive ever talked to someone in a serious conversation that knew about EQ and they called paladins or rangers useless. A well played ranger and Paladin are very useful. Finding well played ones is what most people aren't able to do.

Wecoan
04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Granted 'useless' is the incorrect term, I actually just meant the least required. I figured Luclin was when Rangers got buffed. Giren, you are right I guess, I'll sooner hit 60 on a class I enjoy :)

MilanderTruewield
04-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Paladin has always been a solid class to me. It was my first character. Granted, it's not a lot of DPS unless against undead, it is still an enjoyable class to play. A paladin can backup heal, tank, backup buff, etc. Great at snap agro which is good for offtanking adds, whether in a pickup group or on a raid event.

Granted, the class didn't exactly shine until all the group heals were put into place, along with the fast cast heals they got. Hell, at level 100, my paladin is an outstanding tank. But we're talking about classic, I know. Still doesn't change my opinion... one of the reasons I still play a paladin today, and rerolled one on P99 after playing one for 15 years, is how much I enjoy the class.

Not everyone who plays will have the same return. Learning the classes you play goes a long way towards enjoying the roles you have in a group.