PDA

View Full Version : Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Uberbandit
04-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Howdy, this is your neighborhood friendly Überbandit kicking up a simple Q&A thread. Rules are plain, ask whatever noobish/stupid/whatever question here and me (or other generous people here) will do the best we can to answer you.

Don't be shy, and give me some questions!

Wecoan
04-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I've got two:

a) I started a Troll Shaman today, I realise that Innothule swamp is a horrendous place to level and I remembered that Trolls could start in Neriak, I was already level 3 when this dawned on me so instead of starting over I decided to run and get a bind along the way. When I got there, despite my own memory as well as the project 1999 wiki information, there were no shaman GM's or vendors. Is Grobb and Ogguk (practically next door to each other) the only places I can train and buy my spells?

b) I usually prefer to have my helm graphics switched off unless I play a tank or plate user (someone that 'fits' to wear a helm). I noticed that I have to enable this option every time I zone. Is this intended or is it a bug?

Uberbandit
04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
I've got two:

a) I started a Troll Shaman today, I realise that Innothule swamp is a horrendous place to level and I remembered that Trolls could start in Neriak, I was already level 3 when this dawned on me so instead of starting over I decided to run and get a bind along the way. When I got there, despite my own memory as well as the project 1999 wiki information, there were no shaman GM's or vendors. Is Grobb and Ogguk (practically next door to each other) the only places I can train and buy my spells?

b) I usually prefer to have my helm graphics switched off unless I play a tank or plate user (someone that 'fits' to wear a helm). I noticed that I have to enable this option every time I zone. Is this intended or is it a bug?

a) As far as I am aware there are no Shaman venders in Neriak. I would also be cautious about heading into the ogre Shaman guild, I believe you will be kos to their trainers (ogres and trolls are stupid).

You are limited to Grobb for now as far as trainers/spells, but when I was leveling my troll Shaman I hugged the right wall of the swamp, killing up and down it basically. I think I usually roamed from the guards up to the Guk entrance, pulling from across the water sometimes.

At 5 I would recommend you bite the bullet and travel North. Southern Ro is actually pretty good xp if you can get a group/duo going. Otherwise East Commonlands is a good place to snag groups or get buffs and terrorize the local wildlife. If you ask politely, someone can bind you outside of Freeport.

b) "Shit's classic" It is purposefully so on the server, helm hiding isn't classic. Even if you don't see it, other players still will. Just one of those things that reminds you that Everquest hates you.

Also, welcome mate! Get that level 9 and start being a speedy bastard. Rangers (my main) don't get it till level 39 SO APPRECIATE IT!

Uberbandit
04-14-2014, 12:11 PM
As an addendum, Trolls were given trainers in Neriak when the Froglok were introduced and took Grobb.

Wecoan
04-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Ok I ended up running back to Grobb, but after checking every single vendor multiple times it seems one or two of my main spells are missing like Tainted Breath, a level 9 DoT. Do I have to get someone to purchase this from a Necro vendor? -.-

nilbog
04-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Stragak, in Innothule Swamp, sells Tainted Breath.

Derubael
04-14-2014, 02:55 PM
www.wiki.project1999.com

Excellent source of information, including where to find Shaman spells (you'll likely need this resource as a non-Iksar Shaman, since the old world races Shaman spells are pretty spread out)

As an aside, the swamp is a great place to level. Trolls really do have it good. Just stick to the right wall until you're high enough to start going into Guk, then enjoy one of the best lowbie dungeons in the game. It can be rough, and you may have to do a few CR's, but you'll learn how to play your class, fight in a dungeon, and have fun doing it.

You can start going into Guk as early as level 6 if you have a duo partner.

Lyrith
04-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Wow look at all this good advice and from the staff as well! Finding the hand where Stragak resides can be hard at lower levels. Just follow the right wall til you find the SRo zone. Head directly south of it and just a tad to your left when facing south and you cannot miss him. And only a super small swim if you do it right.

Wecoan
04-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Ah, I didn't realise, I played Bard/Warrior in end game. First ever full caster, don't know a thing about research and words etc either. Appreciate the help guys!

P.S are the ZEM's the same as live or is that secret? :P

Lyrith
04-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Ah, I didn't realise, I played Bard/Warrior in end game. First ever full caster, don't know a thing about research and words etc either. Appreciate the help guys!

P.S are the ZEM's the same as live or is that secret? :P

The wiki helps out a ton for research/words. Key thing is save you training and blow them all to max it as high as you can before destroying your words/pages due to low skill.

ZEM's are in place as they were in live. So live back then basically, not how it is now. I believe there may be a chart around the wiki somewhere that has that information as well.

fran
04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
is velious out yet? on p99 timeline it says no, but i see levels 60

if i want to donate, is a ration of 50% good for project 1999 and eqemu or i should give more to one?

Nikon
04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
I know the per-level hunting guide (http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide) has ZEMs listed.

Nikon
04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
is velious out yet? on p99 timeline it says no, but i see levels 60

No. Only Kunark still. Level 60 was with Kunark.

fran
04-14-2014, 03:37 PM
ah ok i thought it was 50, 55, 60 but kunark was 50 to 60 and then velious 65

anyone know what is the thought of p99 about the sleeper?

Nikon
04-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Level cap was 60 from Kunark to PoP I believe. And not too much has officially been said about the sleeper.

fran
04-14-2014, 03:48 PM
ah ok so velious didnt raise the level cap, thats even better (for me anyway)

loramin
04-14-2014, 04:51 PM
I know the per-level hunting guide (http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide) has ZEMs listed.

It does, and it takes the ZEMs from the page Lytrith was referring to: http://wiki.project1999.com/Recommended_Levels_and_ZEM_List. The guide formats the ZEM in to a percentage though, which I think is nicer (the ZEM page gives numbers relative to "normal" or 75). Then again, I started the guide so I'm a little biased ;).

One thing to remember about the ZEMs on those pages though is that they are a best guess based on the ZEM on live. A few of them are not the same on Project 1999, so while they can help you decide where to hunt, be aware that any given ZEM may not be correct.

Uberbandit
04-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Velious does not raise the level cap. You don't see 60-65 until Planes of Power.

As far as the sleeper goes: "Shit's Classic". It will be wakeable and it will hit the fan, though from what I hear most if not all of the higher tier raiding guilds are against it.

Wecoan
04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
There has got to be a safe zone to level in, I don't care about ZEM anymore lol, spent the last two hours getting back xp i lost when i died because when a mob starts to swim in Innothule it says 'Cannot see target' then they go pull more mobs -.-

Uberbandit
04-14-2014, 06:14 PM
There has got to be a safe zone to level in, I don't care about ZEM anymore lol, spent the last two hours getting back xp i lost when i died because when a mob starts to swim in Innothule it says 'Cannot see target' then they go pull more mobs -.-

If you're having problems in Inny, running the road between it and Ogguk is a decent spot as well. Issue there is that the lizardmen tend to swarm you. I did fine in Inny just by pulling up against the wall. Also, if you run diagonally (hold right click and then press up+left or right) mobs won't hit you as you are trying to make your tactical retreat.

Wecoan
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm grand, I'm just having a hissy because I want to get to 9+ ASAP and I'm trying to rush it without having the tools to deal with those situations :P It's actually made it take longer haha. I'll just calm down :)

Ereni
04-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Dear Uberbandit,

I'm so glad to see that my favorite chameleon is still playing and contributing positively to the P99 community. I remember this being sort of in the realm of where you were headed and I'm glad you're still at it! I love checking up on Sirken's stream just to see if you're still there and you are! Thanks for all your efforts and your opinions that seem to be valued towards the betterment of the server. It makes me feel better knowing that I semi-know a semi-insider helping p99 stay cool. Let me know if you need help with anything in game please. Keep it up my friend! /high5

Your fave MC cleric,

Ereni

P.S. http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kobe-youre-welcome.gif

Kazi
04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I want to point out that Innothule Swamp is an amazing newbie zone. Just fight along the wall from Grobb north to lvl 11. Can't beat the easy swimming upgrades, too. If you hate it, you haven't given it a fair shot. Same with Feerrott.

Sirken
04-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Your fave MC cleric,

Ereni

P.S. http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kobe-youre-welcome.gif

Ereni, you have achieved success at success, A+

fran
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
is treeform considered sitting (medding) or standing?

Sarajo
04-16-2014, 11:45 AM
is treeform considered sitting (medding) or standing?

You can still sit and stand in treeform, sometimes with hilarious results in your change of perspective.
To answer your question: Standing in treeform is still standing. Sitting is meditating. Sometimes, if you finish a fight with low mana and low health, it's best to meditate up in treeform because if you'll be sitting for a few minutes it's the most mana-efficient heal evar.

fran
04-16-2014, 11:59 AM
ok thank you for the information!!

nndiro
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
as a lvl 13 Ogre SK, where should i be LFG?

Nikon
04-16-2014, 03:19 PM
as a lvl 13 Ogre SK, where should i be LFG?

North Ro, Oasis, and Befallen are probably the most popular for that level range.

nndiro
04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
North Ro, Oasis, and Befallen are probably the most popular for that level range.
been going to befallen. nice place and i was lucky to group with very cool ppl the past 2 times i logged in, but sometimes the place is deserted, or used for PL. I tried to the the cutthroat camps in WC but there are almost never camped. is there a reason for this?
i may check Oasis also, thx!

Giren
04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Oasis regularly has at least one group.

kylok
04-20-2014, 02:21 AM
bump, great resource for new players. Pras Uberbandit, King of Crushbone.

Raisen223
04-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Sorry for reposting these questions, but I haven't really had sufficient answers for them:

1)I'm trying to level my Ogre Warrior, but I've noticed that his attacks barely ever hit. I remedied this problem by putting points into Agility, which surprisingly, made him miss his attacks less often. Wouldn't this gimp my character, or is it perfectly fine?

2)I want to see my Options menu to the Escape button on my keyboard, instead of Alt+O, but the Escape button clears the hotkey that I try to put. Is there some way of setting my Options menu to Escape?

Ingrum
04-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Don't apologize, EQ's game mechanics are pretty confusing when you peel away the layers.

The general consensus is to not think of hitting a mob as a chance to actually connect. In fact, you connect every single time but if you aren't seeing a lot of damage output it's because you are hitting for 0. Your strength and weapon skill boost your ATK, which in turn determines your ability to penetrate your target's AC and how much damage you do when you penetrate it. Obviously, higher is better.

In other words, agility has theoretically nothing to do with it, but your strength and weapon skill do.

Edit: Source: Discussion here about to hit chances. I guess the whole subject is still debatable, but this seems to be the most logical answer based on limited legitimate study and observation.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40456

As to your second question, I don't know if there actually is a way to bind the Esc key to something other than its default. I conducted a brief google search and couldn't find anything to shed light on the situation after the first page. You may have to dig deeper yourself for a concrete answer.

Raisen223
04-21-2014, 05:22 AM
Don't apologize, EQ's game mechanics are pretty confusing when you peel away the layers.

The general consensus is to not think of hitting a mob as a chance to actually connect. In fact, you connect every single time but if you aren't seeing a lot of damage output it's because you are hitting for 0. Your strength and weapon skill boost your ATK, which in turn determines your ability to penetrate your target's AC and how much damage you do when you penetrate it. Obviously, higher is better.

In other words, agility has theoretically nothing to do with it, but your strength and weapon skill do.

Edit: Source: Discussion here about to hit chances. I guess the whole subject is still debatable, but this seems to be the most logical answer based on limited legitimate study and observation.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40456

As to your second question, I don't know if there actually is a way to bind the Esc key to something other than its default. I conducted a brief google search and couldn't find anything to shed light on the situation after the first page. You may have to dig deeper yourself for a concrete answer.I know that Agility theoretically has nothing to do with it, but this is why I'm so baffled. I swear, the moment I put all my starting points into Agility, my character randomly started doing more damage per attack. Maybe it was just a mere coincidence.

Frug
04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
I know that Agility theoretically has nothing to do with it, but this is why I'm so baffled. I swear, the moment I put all my starting points into Agility, my character randomly started doing more damage per attack. Maybe it was just a mere coincidence.

Or confirmation bias. Without a parse, it's all conjecture.

Uberbandit
04-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Sorry for reposting these questions, but I haven't really had sufficient answers for them:

1)I'm trying to level my Ogre Warrior, but I've noticed that his attacks barely ever hit. I remedied this problem by putting points into Agility, which surprisingly, made him miss his attacks less often. Wouldn't this gimp my character, or is it perfectly fine?

2)I want to see my Options menu to the Escape button on my keyboard, instead of Alt+O, but the Escape button clears the hotkey that I try to put. Is there some way of setting my Options menu to Escape?

As others have said, agility shouldn't impact your hit rate. Now as far as the gimping, really as an ogre it is hard to go wrong with your stats. You already have immense str and stam, so really dex for double hits and maybe agi if you have nothing better (or have capped other stats). Don't underestimate how good +hp items are either, at low levels they are incredibly more efficient than extra stamina.

For the esc hotkey for options, you could technically use some software to remap your keys, but doing much more with it walks a very fine line in the rules here. To quote Rogean's post

"We do not tolerate cheating on Project 1999. Any program that provides an unintended advantage or gleams access to information not otherwise available is very strictly prohibited. Please be aware that while other EQEmulator servers may allow the use of such programs, we do not. We have many systems in place to detect the presence and usage of these programs passively, with regular sweeps to purge users that have utilized them. This is typically a permanent ban."

I myself wouldn't see the rebind as an unintended advantage, but I would advise caution with what program you use. If it has purposes beyond rebinding (botting scripts, etc) it may not be the best idea. All of this is assuming the hotkey is a big deal to you, though honestly how often do you bring up the options menu?

Pigskin
04-21-2014, 10:39 PM
hi folks

I have loaded up the duxa ui and it looks good ... what i can't figure out is how to change the options in game

namely ... no buff window is showing and I want to turn it on

what ingame options commands are there ... can't seem to find it anywhere

sorry for the newb question

Cheers

Ingrum
04-21-2014, 11:24 PM
hi folks

I have loaded up the duxa ui and it looks good ... what i can't figure out is how to change the options in game

namely ... no buff window is showing and I want to turn it on

what ingame options commands are there ... can't seem to find it anywhere

sorry for the newb question

Cheers

Hey there. I believe that if you press Alt + W in-game it will bring up a little toolbar that allows you turn on and off a bunch of your UI windows.

phacemeltar
04-21-2014, 11:27 PM
great thread!

Pigskin
04-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Hey there. I believe that if you press Alt + W in-game it will bring up a little toolbar that allows you turn on and off a bunch of your UI windows.

hey, thanks mate

as i expected, the song and buff bars were off the screen somewhere ... fixed now

Cheers

Aussie
04-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the server, Pigskin!

Pigskin
04-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Welcome to the server, Pigskin!

Thanks mate, nice flag :)

Q. Does opening your book help you med faster ? or just sitting ... hard to believe i'm asking, but thats how it was in the day !

Cheers

Xer0
04-22-2014, 03:21 AM
Thanks mate, nice flag :)

Q. Does opening your book help you med faster ? or just sitting ... hard to believe i'm asking, but thats how it was in the day !

Cheers

Book to med isn't a thing here. People are aware of it and many people want it implemented, but as far as I have read/can recall the titanium client.. just isn't that classic :P

Raisen223
04-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Okay, so thanks to all of the people who've helped me understand the game's mechanics a bit more. Anyways, I've rolled my Ogre Warrior, but decided to drop him, as soloing was a complete nightmare, with him dealing 0 damage 85% of the time. Then, I went for a Gnome Necromancer, but everything would kill me so fast, and my Life Taps were always interrupted. What is a good, beginner-friendly class in this game, that can solo to some extent, but is required in groups as well? I want to be able to solo the early stages of the game, in order to level up, but I don't want soloing to be the only thing that I'm ever good at, in EverQuest. If anybody could suggest me a class, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

phacemeltar
04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Okay, so thanks to all of the people who've helped me understand the game's mechanics a bit more. Anyways, I've rolled my Ogre Warrior, but decided to drop him, as soloing was a complete nightmare, with him dealing 0 damage 85% of the time. Then, I went for a Gnome Necromancer, but everything would kill me so fast, and my Life Taps were always interrupted. What is a good, beginner-friendly class in this game, that can solo to some extent, but is required in groups as well? I want to be able to solo the early stages of the game, in order to level up, but I don't want soloing to be the only thing that I'm ever good at, in EverQuest. If anybody could suggest me a class, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

get to level 10, itll get better. i would recommend the necro

Raisen223
04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
get to level 10, itll get better. i would recommend the necroI tried a Gnome Necromancer, but everything would kill me so fast, and my Life Taps would get interrupted 99% of the time. Got any tips/help?

Xer0
04-22-2014, 11:11 PM
I tried a Gnome Necromancer, but everything would kill me so fast, and my Life Taps would get interrupted 99% of the time. Got any tips/help?

I would say dagger punch decaying skellies in the face until you can afford a pet spell?

Raisen223
04-22-2014, 11:37 PM
I would say dagger punch decaying skellies in the face until you can afford a pet spell?Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Pigskin
04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm a soloing cleric right now ... from 4 to 6 where I am have been very slow indeed ... not a lot on offer as far as groups

keep at it, its gonna be painfully slow for any class at the start

Sirken
04-23-2014, 07:10 AM
I'm a soloing cleric right now ... from 4 to 6 where I am have been very slow indeed ... not a lot on offer as far as groups

keep at it, its gonna be painfully slow for any class at the start

curious what zones youre in? i have to assume the qeynos side of the world?

Saerdna
04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Pigskin, I had a rough time until Level 8 last week. That mana regeneration makes Nuking mobs down tedious. Finding the right camp helps, but I ended up pushing to 8 in Crushbone in the end. Meditate will speed things up a bit, but soloing (decent XP mobs) is still dangerous if you're not twinked at least a little.
Finding groups can be difficult, but one option is to see who's in your zone. I typically look for someone within 1 or 2 levels of me, and ask if they want to team up. The increased killing speeds coupled with the fact that you offer HP/AC and AC buffs on top of being able to heal will typically be enticing enough.

I didn't mention STR buffs because even though you have "Reckless Strength" I wouldn't use it on most characters with how quickly it degrades and how much mana you'll spend keeping it on you and your partner.

Soloing will also go quicker once you find a suitable undead camp and can use your Undead DD's. If you do decide to stick with Soloing, Swish has a decent guide written up. And even though he doesn't have it listed, there is an Undead Chessboard in Butcherblock Mountains. I think the normal skellies are 8-12 or so, but I don't know if it is the revamp, I just know that I couldn't solo a Dark Blue Rook (Monk) at level 10.

Hope any of my blathering is helpful.

Pigskin
04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
out front of Kaladim until 5, now at CB at 6

:)

Saerdna
04-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Yeah, CB will carry you a long while. Especially if you find a group for fast Centi kills to spread the belts around.

I don't have the information on hand, but someone did mention (or I read a guide) a week or so ago about how the Bone Chip quest turn in for Kaladim was proportionally good XP as Belts are for the level. And there are so many more skellies wandering BBM than GFay (from what I noticed while trying to do the HIE CLR low level spell class).

If you get a chance, look into your Initiate of (Brell? Not sure if you are Dwarf) necklace. It's bound to be easier than HIE.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Brell_Serilis_Symbol_Quests
Apparently lvl 12 recommended level, but WIS and Mana, not bad.

Lyrith
04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't have the information on hand, but someone did mention (or I read a guide) a week or so ago about how the Bone Chip quest turn in for Kaladim was proportionally good XP as Belts are for the level. And there are so many more skellies wandering BBM than GFay.

If I recall right, I remember doing the 4 bone chip turn in's all the way to level 9ish? And fighting at chessboard. But that was a long time ago, but I do know for sure that the bone chip quest is great exp with a piece of gear or an item to sell. =)

fran
04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
gnoll fangs ftw!!!

Garmr
04-23-2014, 10:58 AM
gnoll fangs ftw!!!

Oh god, not here too!

Pigskin
04-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Pigskin, I had a rough time until Level 8 last week. That mana regeneration makes Nuking mobs down tedious. Finding the right camp helps, but I ended up pushing to 8 in Crushbone in the end. Meditate will speed things up a bit, but soloing (decent XP mobs) is still dangerous if you're not twinked at least a little.
Finding groups can be difficult, but one option is to see who's in your zone. I typically look for someone within 1 or 2 levels of me, and ask if they want to team up. The increased killing speeds coupled with the fact that you offer HP/AC and AC buffs on top of being able to heal will typically be enticing enough.

I didn't mention STR buffs because even though you have "Reckless Strength" I wouldn't use it on most characters with how quickly it degrades and how much mana you'll spend keeping it on you and your partner.

Soloing will also go quicker once you find a suitable undead camp and can use your Undead DD's. If you do decide to stick with Soloing, Swish has a decent guide written up. And even though he doesn't have it listed, there is an Undead Chessboard in Butcherblock Mountains. I think the normal skellies are 8-12 or so, but I don't know if it is the revamp, I just know that I couldn't solo a Dark Blue Rook (Monk) at level 10.

Hope any of my blathering is helpful.

thanks for your advice mate

I'm a returning vet, so I know where to go and I know a few things like bone chips and belts

problem is timezone, i'm Aussie so small population in my prime time

hit 7 tonight, outside CB ... have 4 stacks of bone chips but need to sell them so can buy spells ... also selling belts

might have to move over to EC where the population in that area is greater ... orc camps, dervs, north ro, befallen and then on to oasis ... i guess

would like to do some unrest, but fear there would be nobody there

Cheers

ps if anybody wants a cleric, Academe 7 Cleric is available

Raisen223
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM

keep at it, its gonna be painfully slow for any class at the startIt's not really the slowness of the first 4 levels that bothers me, but how everything has a 90% chance to kill me. I've made it a habit to always consider enemy mobs before I attack them, and I always attack the 'even fight' ones, but I still randomly deal 0 damage for, like, 85% of my attacks. All of my 4 characters died from the exact way, just an enemy mob getting a random stroke of luck, and interrupting all of spells/all my attacks dealing 0 damage. Is it always gonna be like this for any class?

Frug
04-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes. You have to try to time your spells in between your enemy swings.

And after level 1, until you get comfortable with the game and your character's abilities, don't bother with even (white) con enemies; do blue con only. When you get to level 5 or 6, you'll find the blue cons have 2 varieties; light blue and dark blue; but early on there are only dark blue. Do those. Do ONLY those. Greens give no XP; white, yellow, and red will kill you unless you get lucky.

nndiro
04-24-2014, 09:29 AM
or you got a high lvl buff and have way ore hp than you normally should. whites and yellows are for groups only past lvl 4, basicaly.

ghadius
04-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Question: Is there anyway to rotate the camera in third person without character turning? Right now all i can do is hold right click and it turns my character as well as the camera. Other games have had it where if you hold left click or middle mouse or something you can rotate the camera while character maintains current direction.

Sylexis
04-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Question: Is there anyway to rotate the camera in third person without character turning? Right now all i can do is hold right click and it turns my character as well as the camera. Other games have had it where if you hold left click or middle mouse or something you can rotate the camera while character maintains current direction.

Have the char sit while you do it?

ghadius
04-24-2014, 11:40 AM
nope when sitting only lets me move camera up and down, no left to right.

Pigskin
04-24-2014, 11:45 AM

good question, i'd like to know also

Uberbandit
04-24-2014, 12:36 PM

The answer is sort of. It is a seperate camera mode. You can cycle through all the camera modes by hitting F9. Each individual camera can be bound to whatever key, so I have the two free cameras bouind to z and x. You can control these with the numpad, and again you can rebind the controls.

I would suggest you have the two free cameras and the first person view hotkeyed (my first person is F). You wouldn't believe how nice all of these options are, and once you get used to setting up your free cameras you won't go without them.

Uberbandit
04-24-2014, 12:40 PM
It's not really the slowness of the first 4 levels that bothers me, but how everything has a 90% chance to kill me. I've made it a habit to always consider enemy mobs before I attack them, and I always attack the 'even fight' ones, but I still randomly deal 0 damage for, like, 85% of my attacks. All of my 4 characters died from the exact way, just an enemy mob getting a random stroke of luck, and interrupting all of spells/all my attacks dealing 0 damage. Is it always gonna be like this for any class?

It is hard on a lot of casters, since you aren't supposed to get hit but have no tank option. Fight blue cons, and depending on your starting area you can get buffs from friendly strangers. EQ leveling is all about the social aspect, so don't be afraid to just start groups killing whatever. Even if it is less xp in the end, grouping will keep you way safer and be more enjoyable in the long run.

Sirken
04-25-2014, 09:12 AM
free bump to a good cause

Pigskin
04-28-2014, 12:03 AM
quick question pls ... can you only get 1 tradeskill over a certain level ? I seem to vaguely recall this

Cheers

aigarza9
04-28-2014, 12:24 AM
So, I rolled a erudite Necro but I can't get out of Paineel.
No, I didn't spawn with a a key.
Yes, I tried the skeleton guard near the rock. No prompt came up at all. keyz, i needz da keyz, give me a key, it just plain isn't working. What am I doing wrong?

Castigate
04-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Try saying "I need keyz" to the skeleton guard right next to the elevator, and make sure you're targeting him and standing basically on top of him since a lot of the games talk prompts have a very short range that they work at.

aigarza9
04-28-2014, 12:55 AM
Try saying "I need keyz" to the skeleton guard right next to the elevator, and make sure you're targeting him and standing basically on top of him since a lot of the games talk prompts have a very short range that they work at.

no dice, sadly. tried it with all nearby guards. :(

KudosMog
04-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Is it wrong to be irrationally jealous of all the twinks I see running around? With the economy as borked as it appears to be, I can't imagine ever being able to do this... And how are they giving themselves these items anyway? I'd have some serious reservations about dropping these things on the ground and logging out..

On a more serious note, is it possible to get through Highpass as a low level? Just to get from one side of the zone to the other? I was running from Qeynos to Freeport as my bard, but got held up there. There never really seem to be any people clearing stuff out around the zone lines, so as far as I can tell, I would either have to get an invis or a port..

Mandalore93
04-28-2014, 02:50 PM
The economy is actually incredibly helpful for new players. Unless it's near BIS it's usually pretty cheap. What used to be considered great weapons for 60 are now trash for lowbies. You can find weapons with 2.5-3 rations pretty easily under 500 plat and some solid ones go for 75-150 such as Wraithbone hammer (8/26). For a fresh start on the server, it's pretty easy to work up to around 150 pp just by farming skellies and animals (for HQ pelts) and then getting your first solid weapon. After that, working on the wisps will get any class enough pp to get them through.

Frug
04-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Is it wrong to be irrationally jealous of all the twinks I see running around? With the economy as borked as it appears to be, I can't imagine ever being able to do this... And how are they giving themselves these items anyway? I'd have some serious reservations about dropping these things on the ground and logging out..

On a more serious note, is it possible to get through Highpass as a low level? Just to get from one side of the zone to the other? I was running from Qeynos to Freeport as my bard, but got held up there. There never really seem to be any people clearing stuff out around the zone lines, so as far as I can tell, I would either have to get an invis or a port..

By not going through HHP. Depending on HOW low you are, you can go from (Qey -> Fpt) through the karanas to gorge of xorbb through runnyeye to misty thicket to kith forest to the commonlands.

As a bard you can outrun anything trying to get you (mostly), except in Runnyeye, where the run is so short even if you do get nabbed a couple of times you'll zone out the other end before it matters.

Gonzo Joe
04-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Jealousy can be a motivation to keep plugging away! Classic EQ is a game with a long tail, and just remember every twink you see had a main that started with nothing but a guild note and a rusty sword just like you are. As for how transfers are done, you can risk a drop transfer or make friends. I would suggest the latter, because the better you are at making friends, the better the game will be in a lot of areas. I also suggest looking around on the wiki for guides to make a little extra PP as you level, there's some good advice there beyond the staples of Bone Chips and animal pelts (which are also very good and shouldn't be ignored by any means).

That's about it. If no one's clearing Highpass mobs, then you need an invis. Again, making friends is handy here if you don't have a way to invis yourself. When I made the run though, I asked in EK /ooc if anyone could spare an invis then ran my little Erudite ass like the wind praying it didn't drop. It didn't, but the adrenaline rush was fun ;)

draconov
04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Ok so I am currently at lv 18 with my de SK, and mistmoore is too crowded to get a group. They are all lv 20-24, so I can't get exp with that level range. I went to The Overthere too and same thing.

I am trying to get lv 22 for my new spells. Anyone know of an area safe to travel for a de SK to get a solid group for those levels? All levels don't have to be in the same place.

Glenzig
04-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Ok so I am currently at lv 18 with my de SK, and mistmoore is too crowded to get a group. They are all lv 20-24, so I can't get exp with that level range. I went to The Overthere too and same thing.

I am trying to get lv 22 for my new spells. Anyone know of an area safe to travel for a de SK to get a solid group for those levels? All levels don't have to be in the same place.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

Best advice I can give.

Halius
04-28-2014, 03:49 PM

Hit me up in game on Izini if you see me on. I am camped out in EC right now and need to get my new animation anyways. I'll invis you if you need it to get through.

draconov
04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Wow! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks Glenzig!

http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

Best advice I can give.

KudosMog
04-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Hit me up in game on Izini if you see me on. I am camped out in EC right now and need to get my new animation anyways. I'll invis you if you need it to get through.

I actually got lucky and the path was clear tonight. Thanks for the offer, though!

snarlz
04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
no dice, sadly. tried it with all nearby guards. :(

You have to say "I needz keyz" Make sure you say that exactly, I need keyz does not work, got to put the Z after need.

snarlz
04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
So, I rolled a erudite Necro but I can't get out of Paineel.
No, I didn't spawn with a a key.
Yes, I tried the skeleton guard near the rock. No prompt came up at all. keyz, i needz da keyz, give me a key, it just plain isn't working. What am I doing wrong?

Just FYI it also seems the boat from Erudin to Qeynos is bugged. I just started playing again 2 nights ago (new to server) and also made an Eruidte Necro. The ferry takes you out to the boat but RIGHT before it gets there, the boat leaves before you can board. I tried this about 7 times. I even tried getting AS CLOSE as I could on the edge of the ferry and attempted to JUMP onto the boat as it was moving. After several attempts swimming back to the shore, I decided to go back to Tox and wait for a wizard to show up so I could beg for a port to the Karanas and walk to qeynos. Several hours later, finally made it and got bound in Qeynos hehe. Fun times!!

snarlz
04-29-2014, 10:31 AM
I tried a Gnome Necromancer, but everything would kill me so fast, and my Life Taps would get interrupted 99% of the time. Got any tips/help?

Yep the big thing is to buy your first pet spell at level 1, that way you can let pet tank and take turns fighting at first. What I did was save up gold for a backpack first ( if you don't get any containers to drop), then save all your space for rusty weapons to sell which drop frequently from decaying skeletons and sell for 1-2 gold.

Get pet spell ASAP and should make your life easier. Then slowly save up and keep buying more backpacks so you can hold more gear to sell for money faster ( Cavorting Bones - http://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer#Spells )

Now you can take turns tanking with your pet and not have to always take damage, and can cast without getting interrupted by just stepping back. Same thing once you get level 4, you will want to save up and purchase the level 4 PET FIRST (leering corpse).

Imslap
04-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Anyone who needs help that is new to the server can message me either on the forums, or on any of my toons.

Imslap, Blaze, Pockett, Drald

aigarza9
04-29-2014, 12:27 PM
You have to say "I needz keyz" Make sure you say that exactly, I need keyz does not work, got to put the Z after need.

doesn't work either. even hailing them doesn't prompt some dialog for me to type it in. i am utterly at a loss of what to do.

snarlz
04-29-2014, 01:23 PM
doesn't work either. even hailing them doesn't prompt some dialog for me to type it in. i am utterly at a loss of what to do.

Very strange, it took me a while to find online the right thing to say because I couldnt get it at first either, and did not spawn with my char. But once I said "I needz keyz" I was finally able to get it... Said it to the guard on the left in the newbie zone where all the skeletons/rats and stuff were at.

I will make a new necro tonight and try it again to see if I can get it to work, and let you know how it goes.

Uberbandit
04-29-2014, 01:46 PM

I just made a fresh character to try it out. You want to hail Guard Korlack, who is right at the elevator entrance. The phrase that got my key was "Need keyz".

It took a lot of stumbling in the dark, they just had to fix erudite night blindness.

P.S. Okuuuuuuuu!

Edit: I did this on red, will have to test on blue when I have a minute.

aigarza9
04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I just made a fresh character to try it out. You want to hail Guard Korlack, who is right at the elevator entrance. The phrase that got my key was "Need keyz".

It took a lot of stumbling in the dark, they just had to fix erudite night blindness.

P.S. Okuuuuuuuu!

Edit: I did this on red, will have to test on blue when I have a minute.

Thank you! I didn't see the skeleton guards right near the rock. I did remember some higher level folk killing the guards there.. Maybe thats why.

Thank you very much!

PS: Thanks! I drew it, heh.

Uberbandit
04-29-2014, 07:35 PM
quick question pls ... can you only get 1 tradeskill over a certain level ? I seem to vaguely recall this

Cheers

Was combing through and realized this got missed. You can raise every tradeskill to max (200 iirc) no matter what, excluding class/race restricted crafts. Sounds like a thing that would have been added after PoP or something silly like that.

nndiro
04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
hey guys,
i've got a question. how true is the damage cap posted on game mechanics?
Quote: "levels 1-9 - damage cap is 20
levels 10-19 - damage cap is 28
Levels 20-29 - damage cap is 60"
as a 14 SK (135 str), having a 9 dmg 1 HS weapon, i never reach 28 dmg. is this common? how hard will that weapon hit for max dmg at lvl 20? i want to know to see if i switch to a 2hs when reaching my twenties.
thanks and sorry for my ignorance :)

lecompte
04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
For damage, most classes deal more damage with best item available using two handers. Max damage on your 9 damage will still be under the 28 damage cap until after 20. Sorry, I don't know the damage formula off the top of my head.

Uberbandit
04-30-2014, 03:29 PM
hey guys,
as a 14 SK (135 str), having a 9 dmg 1 HS weapon, i never reach 28 dmg. is this common? how hard will that weapon hit for max dmg at lvl 20? i want to know to see if i switch to a 2hs when reaching my twenties.

For figuring out dps, I used a program called EQDPM calculator. It was lost with my last harddrive, and I can't seem to find a link that works (someone that has it that wants to host the file on dropbox or something would be delicious!).

And that damage cap is absolute. My advice would be to very politely ask a higher level shadowknight what kind of weapon they had at those levels, or what advice they would give you. Usually people sitting in East Commonlands having nothing better to do than help you, and I have made some good friends just by asking a few questions and chatting for a bit.

akaiif
04-30-2014, 11:49 PM
If two shaman are duoing, do their DoTs stack on p99?

lecompte
05-01-2014, 12:06 AM

No

Uberbandit
05-01-2014, 11:36 AM

The quick answer is indeed no. To elaborate a bit, the strongest instance of the dot will overwrite the other. For example, if you cast your disease dot on a mob and your duo partner that is a level higher casts the same spell, his spell will erase yours. This works even if they are different spells, since dots stacking is done by types. Two disease types from your duo won't stack, the same that you can't both get your poison on the same mob.

Now this isn't necessarily a death sentence for this duo, two shamans can be incredibly powerful together. There is more to spend your mana on than just dots, so with a bit of coordination you will see pretty much no downside to having two shaman.

Donruss
05-01-2014, 03:35 PM
What does iirc mean?

Sylexis
05-01-2014, 03:59 PM
What does iirc mean?

If I recall correctly.

Sylexis
05-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Was combing through and realized this got missed. You can raise every tradeskill to max (200 iirc) no matter what, excluding class/race restricted crafts. Sounds like a thing that would have been added after PoP or something silly like that.

You may get 1 tradeskill over 200, the remaining tradeskills will cap at 200. Choose wisely.

Sylexis
05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Okay I have one, where the heck did the stupidity that is "pras" come from?

rogoshen
05-01-2014, 09:54 PM
^

Robben
05-02-2014, 04:05 AM
Just FYI it also seems the boat from Erudin to Qeynos is bugged. I just started playing again 2 nights ago (new to server) and also made an Eruidte Necro. The ferry takes you out to the boat but RIGHT before it gets there, the boat leaves before you can board. I tried this about 7 times. I even tried getting AS CLOSE as I could on the edge of the ferry and attempted to JUMP onto the boat as it was moving. After several attempts swimming back to the shore, I decided to go back to Tox and wait for a wizard to show up so I could beg for a port to the Karanas and walk to qeynos. Several hours later, finally made it and got bound in Qeynos hehe. Fun times!!

Odd

Works fine for me

You have to be ready to get on the boat as soon as the ferry arrives

Aussie
05-02-2014, 04:42 AM
Odd

Works fine for me

You have to be ready to get on the boat as soon as the ferry arrives

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148778

Is actually a current bug :o

Satche
05-06-2014, 02:05 AM
none of my key bindings work except jump it's driving me nuts

Kazi
05-06-2014, 02:15 AM
Afaik the damage cap up to 20 is 2x weapon dmg up to the max (28 til 20, 20 til 10). If your weapon is 5 dmg, it will only ever do 10 dmg until 20, after which it may do more. I think.

Sylexis
05-06-2014, 11:30 AM
No one answered the "pras" question.

braxious
05-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Why oh Why did I reinstall this ? Now im like having fun again with my newb necro. My sleep is going to suffer.

Is the boat to queynos from eruidin really broke ?

Abrok
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
I saw somewhere the other day about "pras" being from the game Dark Souls 2, "Praise the sun" or something like that but maybe someone else could chime in. I may be mixed up though, these kids these days and their new sayings every two weeks.

Wish they would just stay off my lawn.

kaev
05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
hey guys,

The effect of the damage cap is that for levels 1-9 any weapon with a base damage stat greater than 10 does damage as if it had a damage stat of 10, for 10-19 the effect limits weapon base damage to 14, and for 20-29 it's 30(?). Normal hits are nominally capped at 2*base damage, thus the values quoted from the wiki. It is possible to exceed 2*base damage with a hit, depending on your STR & ATK (or maybe just ATK since it's modified by STR.) Large hits (> 2*base) happen often with high-level melees. I can't recall ever seeing hits larger than 20 from 1-9 here or on live, but I've gotten 29+ as low as L16 with twinked and buffed Warrior & Ranger chars here and I seem to recall doing so at L12 with a twinked and buffed Ogre Warrior on live (been a long time tho, memory could be false.)

Sylexis
05-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Why oh Why did I reinstall this ? Now im like having fun again with my newb necro. My sleep is going to suffer.

Is the boat to queynos from eruidin really broke ?

I don't believe so, I used it just a few weeks ago.

I saw somewhere the other day about "pras" being from the game Dark Souls 2, "Praise the sun" or something like that but maybe someone else could chime in. I may be mixed up though, these kids these days and their new sayings every two weeks.

Wish they would just stay off my lawn.

:D Agreed!

Uberbandit
05-06-2014, 04:45 PM
none of my key bindings work except jump it's driving me nuts

Without a bit more info about exactly what you're doing, I can't really tell if it's EQ or something between the chair and keyboard. I've rebound a ton of my stuff so I don't know what could be causing the issue.

Rakzar
05-07-2014, 04:12 AM
Not sure if this is an easy question to answer but...

I was told in game that AC doesn't have a large effect on your overall power and that stats are better.

Is this true? How does AC work?

Frug
05-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Not sure if this is an easy question to answer but...

I was told in game that AC doesn't have a large effect on your overall power and that stats are better.

Is this true? How does AC work?

No one knows, exactly. The general consensus is that it's pretty close to classic, but probably doesn't have as much an effect (I think).

The problem with AC is that it's an amalgam of mitigation and avoidance, so the mixture here is reverse engineered from formulas that were never known fully.

That said, people have done parses and the last one I saw said more AC is better, but the curve on how much (and what kind) has yet to be figured out.

quido
05-07-2014, 08:23 AM
what's the best way to cook an egg?

Sylexis
05-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Depends on how you like your eggs! Trolls usually like them soft boiled. :p

Put in water, bring to boil, boil for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to cold water to stop the cooking process.

I personally prefer mine farm fresh organic, fried in coconut oil with a dash of Tony Chachere's seasoning.

Bboboo
05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Little off the wall question, is it ok to use an Xbox 360/Guitar Hero controller to play this game?

loramin
05-07-2014, 04:20 PM

You don't. You combine the egg, milk, and flour in a mixing bowl to create a clump of dough, then you combine ("cook") that dough with spices and frosting in an oven.

/duck

loramin
05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Little off the wall question, is it ok to use an Xbox 360/Guitar Hero controller to play this game?

It is, as long as you don't use any fancy software to do something you couldn't normally do on a standard keyboard.

In other words, if you only map controller buttons => single keys (eg. "button A => 5"), you're fine. If you somehow map "button A => click on this thing, then click on this other thing, then press 5", you're cheating, because you couldn't normally do something like that with a standard keyboard.

P.S. I personally play with a Playstation-like controller sometimes to help with RSI.

Bboboo
05-07-2014, 04:26 PM
It is, as long as you don't use any fancy software to do something you couldn't normally do on a standard keyboard.

In other words, if you only map controller buttons => single keys (eg. "button A => 5"), you're fine. If you somehow map "button A => click on this thing, then click on this other thing, then press 5", you're cheating, because you couldn't normally do something like that with a standard keyboard.

P.S. I personally play with a Playstation-like controller sometimes to help with RSI.

Cool thanks, gunna make bard kiting more comfortable.

kylok
05-12-2014, 02:29 AM
bump for awesome thread

Valdarious
05-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Without a bit more info about exactly what you're doing, I can't really tell if it's EQ or something between the chair and keyboard. I've rebound a ton of my stuff so I don't know what could be causing the issue.

Could be he is on Windows 7 with the game installed somewhere he doesn't have write permissions with a standard user account.
I have had no problems with key bindings. I bind things for everything in MMO's. I am not a mouse clicker. 1-7 is bound to my keys around the WASD keys for ease of use.
Things like third person camera view is re-bound to Home and Chase camera is bound to End, so I know key binding is working.

Valdarious
05-13-2014, 09:37 AM
In the options screen before logging into a server it gives you the option of upgrading graphics by downloading new textures. Is it safe to say that this will not mess up my install by it trying to patch anything from Live will it?

Torqued
05-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Would a Ogre Sk be able to train and purchase spells in Neriak or are there faction issues?

Thanks

nndiro
05-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Would a Ogre Sk be able to train and purchase spells in Neriak or are there faction issues?

Thanks

my ogre sk had no problem, i don t see why yours would ;)

Uberbandit
05-14-2014, 08:03 PM
In the options screen before logging into a server it gives you the option of upgrading graphics by downloading new textures. Is it safe to say that this will not mess up my install by it trying to patch anything from Live will it?

I'm pretty sure I did this myself with no problem, and doesn't sound like it would mess anything up (save the textures possibly being different). I don't see the option, so I am assuming that I already ran it. Can't say much more without doing a fresh install myself, and though I love you to get that far you'd have to at least buy me dinner first.

JOCKJAMS
05-16-2014, 07:35 AM
if i want to afk med somewhere, can i still be tracked through my hide? can they track me through hide if they have see invis?

Valdarious
05-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Wasn't there an NPC that would bind a person in town? I thought I remembered at one point the Priest of Discord could bind you. Was this a later expansion that did this?

Whirled
05-16-2014, 08:25 AM
yea; they had Soulbinder NPC standing around and you hailed them after some patch. I have no idea in the time line when that happened tho sorry

I have many characters on servers with hot keys "bind my soul please"
cuz I try to be polite when asking favors =D

Uberbandit
05-17-2014, 09:49 AM
if i want to afk med somewhere, can i still be tracked through my hide? can they track me through hide if they have see invis?

Confirmed by Sirken, they will be able to track you only if they have see invis.

JOCKJAMS
05-17-2014, 12:43 PM
thanks

Bboboo
05-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Is there anyway to keybind Mouse 4/5/Middlemouse?

jaybone
05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Any new players starting avoid blackburrow. Its commonly infested with higher level players pulling all the mobs in the zone to get the fangs.

Thundun
05-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Yea Blackburrow is a mess. I still find it worth hunting due to the fang's value, but I with that quest would get changed with Velious.

Kritimus
05-19-2014, 10:26 AM
LOL nvm

Thundun
05-21-2014, 01:39 PM
How crowded is unrest? Like bb with high levels killing everything?

We're in our mid teens.

Frug
05-21-2014, 02:51 PM
How crowded is unrest? Like bb with high levels killing everything?

We're in our mid teens.

16-25 people in there most of the time. Not high level XP teat-suckers like BB, no; legitimate players, but that ZEM brings out the (over)crowding.

Thundun
05-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks, Frug! Maybe I'll try Runnyeye first.

surron
06-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Question: I assume CHA affects Pacify resist rate, is this true?

Question: Sometimes when Pacify is resisted a mob does not ago, what causes them to not agro?

Swish
06-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Question: Sometimes when Pacify is resisted a mob does not ago, what causes them to not agro?

Less chance of a "critical" failure I think the more charisma you have. Not worthwhile enough to be worth putting points into as a cleric, but definitely give it some thought for your enchanter :p

phobus
06-02-2014, 11:33 AM

When you try to lull (or calm, pacify, etc) a mob, several things are checked:

- difference in level between you and the mob
- the mob's MR
- your CHA

We don't know the exact formula, but these all influence the mob's likelihood of resisting the spell. If the game determines that the lull will be resisted, it makes a second calculation to determine if it will be a "critical resist" (where the spell is resisted, and the mob aggros the caster). So, sometimes you get a resist and nothing happens, and sometimes the mob reacts angrily.

In my experience, level affects this a lot. Charisma has an effect, but you need a lot for it to be noticeable. Enchanters generally place a high priority on CHA; Clerics and other classes, much less so (but some Clerics still carry a set of +CHA gear for lulling).

Sirken
09-29-2014, 10:49 PM
bump for great justice

Uberbandit
09-29-2014, 10:50 PM
This thread is being watched over by me...again...I promise.

Microfin
10-02-2014, 10:25 PM
What are a few good zones for a Level 13 Dark Elf Necro to level? (group, or solo)

From 10 to 13 I've mostly soloing in East Commonland, occasionally catching an Orc group. At this point, I'm starting to outgrow it though. I know Befallen is a good group thing for my level, but I can't ever seem to find group members. I've heard Unrest might be a good option, but I don't think I'm welcome in Dwarf territory, and the journey along the way seems pretty dangerous.

Uberbandit
10-02-2014, 10:45 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Ocean_of_Tears Sister's Isle (Number 10 on the map) Is a good place if you never plan to work on your Wood Elf faction.

If you do make it to Faydwer, Unrest is an excellent place. There is also the sisters camp in Lfay. The only vender I know of that will buy from you would be the druid at the Steamfont rings, but even then he might refuse necros...

Oasis/Nro is also a good place for your level. IDR what the entry level for orc highway or caimen is, but I grouped in Oasis a ton. Just mind the Sand Giants.

Whatley
10-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Super noobish question, but would the ROK Prima's guidebook be worthwhile to pick up? This is my first real venture in EverQuest original (MMO vet overall) and I was wondering if something like that guide would be helpful for tips and what not. I know most of everything can be found online but sometimes having an actual book is nice. Any thoughts?

Pane_AK
10-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Super noobish question, but would the ROK Prima's guidebook be worthwhile to pick up? This is my first real venture in EverQuest original (MMO vet overall) and I was wondering if something like that guide would be helpful for tips and what not. I know most of everything can be found online but sometimes having an actual book is nice. Any thoughts?

I personally don't know anything about the guide book. But I doubt it would have anything worth the money. EQ has a very big learning curve, but once you learn it it's really a "fairly" easy game. Just very time consuming.

The hardest part IMO is navigation for a new person. Learn how to use the /loc command for navigating. And consult the maps regularly. Making a hot key for /loc is a great idea too and use it if you are about to die so you can find your corpse much easier.

As far as other tips. Most of them will be class specific. What class are you playing /planning on playing? Or are you looking for just general tips?

Whatley
10-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I personally don't know anything about the guide book. But I doubt it would have anything worth the money. EQ has a very big learning curve, but once you learn it it's really a "fairly" easy game. Just very time consuming.

The hardest part IMO is navigation for a new person. Learn how to use the /loc command for navigating. And consult the maps regularly. Making a hot key for /loc is a great idea too and use it if you are about to die so you can find your corpse much easier.

As far as other tips. Most of them will be class specific. What class are you playing /planning on playing? Or are you looking for just general tips?

I'll have to macro this /loc command for sure, this is actually first i've heard of it so thank you! Currently I am running in a duo and we are trying to plan out a solid setup. I started a thread yesterday trying to find the best match for an enchanter and we keep hearing that an ench/cler setup is best but I fear that the cleric might be a slightly boring class to play (is that right?). So we might do enchanter wither a sham/druid/necro.

Any other basic beginner tips you can share? We both have been trying to read as much as we can ont he forums and wiki to learn the inns and outs along with trying to plan the best duo (including best races/religion).

kruptcy
10-03-2014, 09:31 AM
I enjoy playing a cleric way more than a druid, if only because a group with a good enchanter and a good cleric can take on way tougher content at a way faster pace than a group being healed by a druid.

Uberbandit
10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Screw the Prima books, the wiki knows all.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie#OK.2C_I.27ve_started_playing_-_oh_god.2C_what.27s_going_on.3F_Did_I_just_drown.3 F_Why_does_this_bear_keep_killing_me.3F For starters. Skim over the thing, it gives you the basics of survival.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide This goes over classes and duos fairly well. I disagree with a few points, but overall it's a good way to compare classes.

As far as entertaining duos, you could be right in ENC/CLR being dull. The cleric just does cleric things, typically keeping a superbuff Charmed thing alive...or the chanter when said thing decides it no longer likes you. Charming itself for the chanter is fun if you don't mind paying attention to what's going on.

Seeing as you're set on chanter, anything that can snare is a good pair. Chanters get a fixed duration fear, so the reverse kite is strong when you have someone to slow it down.

Honestly, play the duo you think you'll have fun with. If you're just looking for an easy time, well then ENC/pretty much anything. If you want a viable duo, take at least one class that can solo (Necro, enchanter, druid, shaman, bard, mage...maybe wizard).

Important "/" commands: /hidecorpse - You have a few options to modify what it ends up hiding, and it'll list them for you.

/corpse - Target the corpse you want to drag, and mash this button to pull it along with you.

/consent playername - Gives consent for playername to drag your corpse.

/who - This will give you a list of people in the zone. You can add partial names, guild names, class, or level to the end ("/who druid 21" will give you the druids in zone that are level 21)

/who all - With no modifiers, it'll give you a list of "all" the people online. Not actually all, it stops after a fairly moderate point. Otherwise works like /who, except that you can also use zone names to search specific areas for players. People that are /anon will not show up on who all.

Assist macro: If you remember how to make macros, awesome. If not I can explain that in another post.

My assist macro looks like this:
/tar playername
/pause 1
/assist

Works fine for me, just exchange playername for your main tank/assist.

That's everything I have off the top of my head, but don't be afraid to toss a few more follow-up questions in.

rotenvok
10-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Im a troll shaman and all my items are junk. some items bought from merchants, expensive and bad, giving me a few AC and 0 stats.

Innothule and grobb dont have quest to get some low lvl gear.

Im level 5, I cant kill yellows even spending all my mana, and whites take me a lot of time.

any suggestion?

RaptorDisaster
10-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Along the same lines as Rotenvok. I'm a level 10 Iksar warrior and i can't help but think I'm not doing it right still using a tarnished weapon at level 10. White cons can kill me if I get unlucky, and a yellow con would wipe the floor with me. Blue mobs still take a while to kill and can bring me down somewhat low.

I'm collecting bone chips and silk for when i can finally sell them and maybe get a decent weapon, but until then am i just gonna have to tough it out for a while?

Kritimus
10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Im a troll shaman and all my items are junk. some items bought from merchants, expensive and bad, giving me a few AC and 0 stats.

Im level 5, I cant kill yellows even spending all my mana, and whites take me a lot of time.

any suggestion?

Kill dark blues.....loot....dont buy gear from merchants....sell everything. Gear and money will come with levels.

Uberbandit
10-03-2014, 01:55 PM

any suggestion?

As said above, go for blues. I think the froggies right outside guk should be close. Will also double up on not buying armour from the merchants. As a shammy, once you hit 29 you can have a steady plat supply in alchemy.

This game does not want you to play it. It will keep you in rags, kill you with random bullshit, and make you question your sanity.

Woe1988
10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
AC goes a long ways at low levels, even as a caster. Even with just leather vendor items you will see a huge difference in incoming damage being reduced.

Avoid the whites and yellow cons, blues and light blues are your bread and butter. Try to group up as much as possible, even if you are just a heal bot for a melee.

The beginning of the game is by far the hardest. Spell efficiency is terrible, no meditate, and you have no gear or weapons to help carry you through. Shamans get stronger than other classes as they level, so keep going.

rotenvok
10-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Is compass available? I pushed alt + D (default key combiation for activating compass) and doesnt work, and im sure I've seen screeenshots of people with his toons and they have compass.

Kritimus
10-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Is compass available? I pushed alt + D (default key combiation for activating compass) and doesnt work, and im sure I've seen screeenshots of people with his toons and they have compass.

No sir...but sense heading works

rotenvok
10-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I started a Troll SK, and reading bout the SK stats in project1999 wikia, it recommends to put ALL points on stamina.

Do you guys agree with this? SK's main roll is tanking... but, not a single point on INT? Im afraid i will have a lot of problems with mana pool.

Microfin
10-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I started a Dwarf Warrior to help balance myself between playing an evil caster. I've been purchasing armor from the local vendors (which are better than Cloth drops from skeletons and orcs) the but none of the weapons seem to be really all that much better than the rusty broad swords and bastard swords I've found.

Are there any decent low level warrior weapons you can recommend I buy from an auction in East Commonland?

Thiefboy777
10-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Question about Rogue Hide/sneak...I've searched the forums but haven't really seen a solid answer on what can see through it.

For instance can I get anywhere in Sebilis or are there certain mobs I need too look out for?

Larkverdin
10-05-2014, 08:24 AM
I actually found the answer to my question buried in some old monk threads. Thanks for making this one though for all us newbs though!

Kritimus
10-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Question about Rogue Hide/sneak...I've searched the forums but haven't really seen a solid answer on what can see through it.

For instance can I get anywhere in Sebilis or are there certain mobs I need too look out for?

You will indeed need to still be careful. There are mobs that can see through rogue hide sneak combo. Especially in seb :-)

rotenvok
10-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I've bought this weapon for 45p:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Firerune_Brand

Im SK lvl 9. My question is: at what lvl this weapon will turn weak and i will need to buy a new one?

maestrom
10-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Does opting out of RNF not work?

Thulack
10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Does opting out of RNF not work?

No it does not. It's a forum bug that there is a bug report for.

Microfin
10-11-2014, 10:33 PM
I've hit level 15 with my Dwarf Warrior and can dual wield now!

What are some decent 1H weapons I should buy from auctions in EC?

Peekae
10-12-2014, 12:15 AM
I've hit level 15 with my Dwarf Warrior and can dual wield now!

What are some decent 1H weapons I should buy from auctions in EC?

Green Jade broadsword and sword of skyfire are both on the decent but still really cheap list and might be good starting weapons

Sirken
10-12-2014, 08:57 AM
best way to opt out of RNF is to not click on RNF ;)

BlkCamel
10-14-2014, 03:25 PM
best way to opt out of RNF is to not click on RNF ;)

Problem is alot of people hit New Posts on top of forum to see what is going on instead of checking sub forums. RNF Is the most commonly listed new posts 90% of the time. The intensity of RNF posters cannot be matched.:D

rotenvok
10-18-2014, 04:10 PM
when a druid/wizzy ports you, or a caster binds you ¿how many money you should give him as tip/donation?

Whirled
10-20-2014, 01:21 PM
I never state any payment. Either we show up at the destination & they say hey thanks & run off ...or... they open a trade window with a thank you offering with plats or some item. More than half the time I still cancel the trade because I like the pay it forward idea and it'd be nice to get a free port from time to time when I'm on other characters that need it.

Microfin
10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm looking to start another caster since I've been playing nothing but my Warrior from Level 1 to 21. I got a nice bit of plat in the bank from selling CB belts/pads too!

I was trying to find a list of good items for a Druid, and came upon this list: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208&highlight=gear+list but it's from 4 years ago... can anyone confirm if it's still a good lil reference guide?

Esheon
10-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm looking to start another caster since I've been playing nothing but my Warrior from Level 1 to 21. I got a nice bit of plat in the bank from selling CB belts/pads too!

I was trying to find a list of good items for a Druid, and came upon this list: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208&highlight=gear+list but it's from 4 years ago... can anyone confirm if it's still a good lil reference guide?

It's decent, though a bit outdated. Without knowing what exactly "a nice bit of plat" means, it's hard to say how much you can afford... though if you're just going off CB belts/pads sales, some of it will probably be out of your reach.

I would use http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Gear (Pre-planar and Kunark links) as a starting point and http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Druid_Equipment to fill in some of the spots.

There are definitely better chest slots than Foreman's Tunic. Mithril-runed comes to mind, as do several Kunark pieces (though those are pretty expensive).
For the shoulders, your warrior can probably just get a Prayer Cloth of Tunare in CB.
Crown of Leaves is nice for a hat (5 wis, but hurts qeynos faction to kill the npc).
Forest Loop is nice for ears, though it's mainly secondary benefits over the jasper gold.
For the boots, go with Burynai Hide Boots instead of GEBs... they're expensive.
Bloodstone Eyepatch is good if you can't find a jeweler for the veil.

The rest of the list seems pretty good, tbh.

Microfin
10-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Without knowing what exactly "a nice bit of plat" means, it's hard to say how much you can afford... though if you're just going off CB belts/pads sales, some of it will probably be out of your reach.

Yeah, most gear is way out of my range. I have around 800pp, which is nice to me :'D

Automatik
10-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Swish's 1-50 cleric solo guide says to do levels 6-10 at the "undead monolith in Nektulos forest featuring 3 undead spawns that will single pull". Can anyone provide more detail about where to find that monolith in Nektulos forest? Is it #3 on this map:

http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/nektulosmap.html

Viszix
10-29-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm still not sure exactly how experience works for a Mage (or any pet class for that matter).

I read that I need to hit any npc I'm fighting at least once. Why is that?

I also read that if my pet deals damage >=50% of the npc's health, I lose 50% of the experience. I read elsewhere that the experience loss was bumped to 75%. Is this true, and if so, how much am I losing?

Is the experience loss offset by grouping?

bulbousaur
10-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Grouping will prevent the pet from taking xps, yes.

Pyrocat
10-30-2014, 12:03 AM
I'm still not sure exactly how experience works for a Mage (or any pet class for that matter).

I read that I need to hit any npc I'm fighting at least once. Why is that?

I also read that if my pet deals damage >=50% of the npc's health, I lose 50% of the experience. I read elsewhere that the experience loss was bumped to 75%. Is this true, and if so, how much am I losing?

Is the experience loss offset by grouping?

Solo:
You need to out-damage your pet in order to get full exp. If your pet out-damages you, it takes 75%(?) of the exp. This includes charmed pets.

Group:
It doesn't matter if you even hit the mob, there is no penalty for having a pet and you get full exp. This is why you'll see a lot of pet classes duoing. Necro/shaman and enchanter/anything are pretty OP for this reason.

Inorcist
10-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Swish's 1-50 cleric solo guide says to do levels 6-10 at the "undead monolith in Nektulos forest featuring 3 undead spawns that will single pull". Can anyone provide more detail about where to find that monolith in Nektulos forest? Is it #3 on this map:

http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/nektulosmap.html

no, #3 is the wizard portal
he's probably talking about #7

Sirken
11-08-2014, 08:52 AM
simple threads, simple bumps

Ereni
11-21-2014, 12:24 AM
simple problems, simple solutions

Argh
11-21-2014, 12:47 AM
simple man, simple pleasures

Greengrocer
11-21-2014, 11:11 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/10197700.jpg

Menoly
11-25-2014, 05:36 PM
I have been playing on 1999 for a couple weeks and having fun. I must admit that it is a bit of a challenge starting over from scratch. Is it possible to move an old character who stopped in POP to the 1999 server?

Thanks!
Once a Bard, always a Bard!
Menoly on Erollisi Marr
Menolee on P1999 Blue

Mortiis
12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I have been playing on 1999 for a couple weeks and having fun. I must admit that it is a bit of a challenge starting over from scratch. Is it possible to move an old character who stopped in POP to the 1999 server?

Thanks!
Once a Bard, always a Bard!
Menoly on Erollisi Marr
Menolee on P1999 Blue

Unfortunately no. There are no character transfers as there is no affiliation with the live servers, just the game itself. The reason it was made was to go back to the original 'classic' version. Besides there were a lot of changes in PoP that wouldn't exist here. Starting over in it's original format is reason I like playing and still do. Take the time and have fun with it.

DireBadger
12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
I remebered this thread, so here is a liitle bump with two questions of my own.

Is is possible to wriggle into the Hole while in wolfform on p99?
(I have tried but I can't get it to work)

Is there a list of rogue NPCs anyway?
(meaning mobs with less HP than your regular warrior type mobs - for easier soloing. My wizard did Nybright Sisters in LFay, but are there any at higher level?)

Sirken
12-25-2014, 03:38 AM
I remebered this thread, so here is a liitle bump with two questions of my own.

Is is possible to wriggle into the Hole while in wolfform on p99?
(I have tried but I can't get it to work)

Is there a list of rogue NPCs anyway?
(meaning mobs with less HP than your regular warrior type mobs - for easier soloing. My wizard did Nybright Sisters in LFay, but are there any at higher level?)

1) i do not believe it is. it shouldnt be.

2) not sure. but, i know that kunark mobs generally have more hp than classic mobs of the same level.

spidercajun
12-27-2014, 11:19 AM
I might be wrong but there's a tunnel in the wall outside freeport where I use to buy sk spells...I know there is a rogue trainer there also..I think you can get shami spells there also. Been a long time since I've been in there but I believe I'm right about the shami spells...good luck