PDA

View Full Version : LF Guide Feedback

Uteunayr
04-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Greetings all,

I just did a major overhaul of my necromancer guide. I made some changes to the organization of the guide, I added some new spots, and stuff like that. I am looking for some feedback and other thoughts:

1) I am curious, if any of you read the previous version, if the new organization is easier to make sense of?

2) Am I leaving anything out that should be in a necromancer guide?

3) On Sister Isle in Ocean of Tears, is there a merchant that a necromancer can sell to?

4) What are some solid alternative camps to Halfling Guards from 31-34? Unrest Basement is one I was thinking of... But I've always gone to Halfling Guards because they are just too good. I am looking for some other input on this level range.

The new version can be found here (http://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix%27s_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Gui de).

Vayder
04-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Vexing Mordina total damage needs a correction

Uteunayr
04-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Corrected. I put in the damage per tick, not the total. Thanks.

fishingme
04-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Just glanced through your guide, but iksar necro's can start doing spectres at 32/33, a few resists but you can take out 2-3 specs.

Uteunayr
04-29-2014, 09:53 AM
The blood red con doesn't cause significant resists? PtD doesn't even have a MR modifier. Hmm. I'll test it on my next necro. Interesting. Thanks.

fishingme
04-29-2014, 09:59 AM
The blood red con doesn't cause significant resists? PtD doesn't even have a MR modifier. Hmm. I'll test it on my next necro. Interesting. Thanks.

I don't recall any reds at 33. You do get a decent amount of resists at that level, but your mana bar should be able to last you through at least 2 spawn cycles. I also switched between spectres and unrest, mind you unrest was far less crowded at the time of my necro, but I'd end up pulling from basement, running past fountains to the hallway that leads to the zone out, snare, fear, and dot with no pet. That can be done until 38 ish. Ended up switching to spectres i believe full time at around 36 when resists started to become less, I can honestly say that I felt no iksar necro xp penalty, even throughout the hell levels.

baalzy
04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Poison Bolt is a DOT too, not just a pure DD.

Edit:

I'd suggest adding the Gargoyles camp in OoT to the 20-26ish section (especially if recommending people buy a CoS in the low levels). It's not super camped because of how out of the way it is, stackable great money items and puts you in the right zone to move on to the sisters camp immediately afterwards for more money generation.

Uteunayr
04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't recall any reds at 33. You do get a decent amount of resists at that level, but your mana bar should be able to last you through at least 2 spawn cycles. I also switched between spectres and unrest, mind you unrest was far less crowded at the time of my necro, but I'd end up pulling from basement, running past fountains to the hallway that leads to the zone out, snare, fear, and dot with no pet. That can be done until 38 ish. Ended up switching to spectres i believe full time at around 36 when resists started to become less, I can honestly say that I felt no iksar necro xp penalty, even throughout the hell levels.

Really? Interesting. When I went there on my second necro at 37, all Specs were White/Yellow. I'd think at 33, 4 levels under, they'd all be bloody red. But again, that's not from my own observation, that's just why I never tried going there instead of toll booth. I'll try it out when I level my next necro.

I know about Unrest, but I figured that zone gets enough traffic as it is, so I wasn't going to toss it into the guide. :D

And yeah, I think it's at 34 that you start to curb off the Iksar xp penalty, as you get a Lich that is worth a damn. It just becomes more and more valuable from that point, and you feel the penalty less and less.

Poison Bolt is a DOT too, not just a pure DD.

Edit:

I'd suggest adding the Gargoyles camp in OoT to the 20-26ish section (especially if recommending people buy a CoS in the low levels). It's not super camped because of how out of the way it is, stackable great money items and puts you in the right zone to move on to the sisters camp immediately afterwards for more money generation.

Ahh, right you are. I'll fix that shortly.

As for Gargoyles, I'll add that without a description, and then try it out on my third necro. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any idea for the level 31-34 range? Halfling Guards is all I have, and there has to be another spot. I reformed the guide's structure and all to not bottleneck as much at specific camps, but that's one level range I've never ended up going anywhere else for.

fishingme
04-29-2014, 05:18 PM
specs were probably ninja-patched at some point. I played a shaman after my necro and there wasn't static red spawns. I,e, first spec is red

Uteunayr
04-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Were you on Oasis specs? I don't think there is a difference between them, but I know Oasis specs spawn times were changed, and so they may have also had their level screwed with? Just a thought.

fishingme
04-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Were you on Oasis specs? I don't think there is a difference between them, but I know Oasis specs spawn times were changed, and so they may have also had their level screwed with? Just a thought.

Sorry, should of clarified I was at specs in feerrott. Oasis specs are harder than feerroot specs.

baalzy
04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Really? Interesting. When I went there on my second necro at 37, all Specs were White/Yellow. I'd think at 33, 4 levels under, they'd all be bloody red. But again, that's not from my own observation, that's just why I never tried going there instead of toll booth. I'll try it out when I level my next necro.

I know about Unrest, but I figured that zone gets enough traffic as it is, so I wasn't going to toss it into the guide. :D

And yeah, I think it's at 34 that you start to curb off the Iksar xp penalty, as you get a Lich that is worth a damn. It just becomes more and more valuable from that point, and you feel the penalty less and less.

Ahh, right you are. I'll fix that shortly.

As for Gargoyles, I'll add that without a description, and then try it out on my third necro. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any idea for the level 31-34 range? Halfling Guards is all I have, and there has to be another spot. I reformed the guide's structure and all to not bottleneck as much at specific camps, but that's one level range I've never ended up going anywhere else for.

Spire gnolls in SK work 30-35. So does Vhalen Nostrolo if the SK Treants are taken.

SK is a great zone for Iksar because you can ghetto-bank with Topaz via the Aviak merchant (unlimited supply of topaz to buy) and often times there are other high-value gems you can purchase off the Centaur vendor.

There are also the Cyclops' in WK and the Ogres in WK.

jaybone
04-29-2014, 10:30 PM
How easy are those specs at 38?

baalzy
04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Never did the Specs much for xp on my necro. I solo'd them starting at 39 on my cleric though and with spook the dead being so mana-efficient I really doubt a 38 would have trouble handling the tree spec + the first one in the cave.

Uteunayr
05-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Alright:

1) I've added in Gargoyles with a tentative description of what I know of the camp to the 20-24 range.

2) I added a note about Feerrott Specs being lower level than Oasis Specs.

3) I fixed the Poison (DPS) spell description.

4) I added Splitpaw Gnolls & Froon/Choon to the 31-34 range.

5) I added a link to Smallpox's Research Component spreadsheet under the Words section.

6) Additionally, I added the Aviak Island in OOT to the 12-16 range. The OOT Page on the wiki suggests that the Aviaks will be blued at 13, making it sound like this would be a solid place to go. Anyone have experience leveling a toon here? Next necro I make, I'll try it out, but until there, curious if there are any big reasons to not list this other than the inconvenience of OOT as a zone.

SpangoNuts
05-02-2014, 11:08 AM
On my Dark Elf Necro I had to kill goblins(100s of goblins) in Butcher Block starting area so the Dwarf merchant would sell to me on sister isle. The other Dwarf beside him was still kos though, so either kill him then sell, or sell by aproaching the back of the tent as to not agro.

Tewaz
05-02-2014, 05:12 PM
You need to adjust the recommended shoulder pieces. You have the loam encrusted cloak linked and not the amice.

Uteunayr
05-02-2014, 07:44 PM
On my Dark Elf Necro I had to kill goblins(100s of goblins) in Butcher Block starting area so the Dwarf merchant would sell to me on sister isle. The other Dwarf beside him was still kos though, so either kill him then sell, or sell by aproaching the back of the tent as to not agro.

Neat. You might also be able to get that rep (although it may just be guards/clerics) with the Kaladim Bone Chip quest.

You need to adjust the recommended shoulder pieces. You have the loam encrusted cloak linked and not the amice.

Fixed the item list to not include the Cloak among the Shoulders. Solid find, thanks!

Nubben
05-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to say how awesome your guide is, and thank you for taking the time to put this together. I don't really have too much time to play, so I get my EQ fix by lurking the forums/other content online. Your guide was a great and entertaining read for sure.

I've dabbled in the world of necros before, both on live and on here, but after reading through your guide it definitely has renewed my interest in the class. I'll be sure to check out some of your recommended camps if I do end up taking the plunge again when I have some time. Thanks again for the awesome guide!

Sinadin
05-30-2014, 04:39 AM
awesome guide :)

Uteunayr
06-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks, hope it was helpful.

If you're leveling up, and you think of something I missed, something that should be in the guide, or spots you think should be included, please let me know. I'd like to continue to expand it so necromancers and others have all the information needed to be successful.

The first version of my guide had merely one spot per leveling range, and I noticed that those areas became heavily, heavily contested (which, admittedly, should be expected). So, my new approach is to add in as many spots as possible so that way it is far more diffused, rather than so centralized on a single spot. Also allows for more variety of styles of play, hence the restructuring of the way my guide presents fear kiting, root rotting, and charming.

Potus
06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
31-34 the entire Sister Island is still fantastic exp (and sword sisters gave the same money as Halfling guards), and because I did Crushbone early I was amiable with the dwarf merchant there even as an iksar. Would do the 2 sword sisters, the 2 by the docks, and then the 3 dwarves in a rotation.

Other options are Baobob and Chanda Miller in Qeynos Hills. They drop bronze swords and you can camp the GBS while doing it.

Also the Guard Hrakin/Jyle Windshot/Pandos Flintside rotation in West Freeport. Sadly Jyle is not itemized yet on this server so he drops nothing, but all three should drop good plat/weapons/words.

I know that people also killed static spawns in Akanon. Sanfyrd Featherhead and the Mechanics were necro camps during this time (haven't done it on this server though). Dark Deathsinger is another bard you can afk camp. Wood Elves in Lesser Faydark were a good rotation, too.

Uteunayr
06-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Fantastic. I'll jump by those on one of my alt necromancers and check the camps out, and add them to the list.

Potus
06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Sweet I'll go check the EQNecro archives later and see if there are more.

Here's a good Velious era post on Necro hunting spots. (http://web.archive.org/web/20010620002121/http://necro.eqclasses.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4821&FORUM_ID=53&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Necromancer+Hunting+Guide&Forum_Title=Necromancer+Game+Guides)

Here are just some helpful guides in general. Never too soon to read up on your Holgresh Elder Beads camp (http://web.archive.org/web/20010605014402/http://necro.eqclasses.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=53&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=Necromancer+Game+Guides)