PDA

View Full Version : DIY PC first timer suggestions

cries4hardcore
04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi all, I have been playing p99 on my Mac Pro using boot camp. Which is fine, except it's my work computer and it's not a lap top so lugging it back and forth from the studio is fucking annoying. Also, as powerful as the comp is in most respects, Mac doesn't really provide a great graphics/video card(not that tech savvy it's one of the two).
I was taking a look at new egg. The DIY kits seem doable from a Lamens pov. But I don't know what parts to look for in a kit, what's good, what I need, etc etc.
I know p99 does not require much process on power. But if I build a pc I may want to also play modern games in the future so factor that into any reccomendations. I would also like to use a solid state drive.
Figure on everything I would like to spend maybe 1200-1400 bucks. Not including monitor keyboard etc. just the tower and everything that goes in it. Thanks in advance.

Also, what do you guys think of a new progression server coming out after velious that follows an accurate timeline...lol

phacemeltar
04-11-2014, 07:18 PM
i reccomended to a friend recently, i would stay away from the CPUs that have integrated graphics. seems like a waste of money to me, but someone else probably knows more about this than i do.

cries4hardcore
04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Thank you, what about the final portion of my post. Any thoughts on that phacemelter? Lol

phacemeltar
04-11-2014, 07:34 PM
lol, great idea! i would like to know the GMs opinion of this idea, but im not sure if it has just gotten lost in everyone elses idea for a new/wiped server

Sirken
04-11-2014, 08:02 PM
heres a great site for building PCs, its what i recently used to pick out the hardware for my own new PC

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Ambrotos
04-11-2014, 09:06 PM
You can go Intel or AMD. As someone said above I would stay away from the integrated cpu/gpu. I have one in my Alienware laptop and it has caused so many problems.

Right now it all depends on what you want. AMD is powerful and less expensive compared to Intel. Unless you are running 20 programs movies and games at a time you don't need a i-7.

I personally went with AMD cpu, and will try out the Raedon gpu for the first time. Normally I am a Nvida fan.

Going with open box/sales I spent 700ish on my build. My video card comes in tomorrow. I built my main pc back in 2009 when the phenom II 4 cores first came out. I really haven't seen anything to bog it down, I just figured to upgrade now. With the FX-8350 it will last me another 5-6 years.
Going i-7 is overkill since nothing can stop it, besides your wallet. So kinda pointless when the i-5 will take care of any need if you go intel.

Here is the build. I had a power supply already, so that was 100 dollars I saved.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rais/saved/4goS

This Nepton 280i cooler is the best upgrade I have ever done. I can't hear it and my cpu is sitting at 32c while overclocked to 4.6 ghz. With a normal zalman heatsink my old cpu was sitting at 42c stock with a nice wind tunnel effect.

If you go for a intel, I would advise you to go with a i-5. I made a sample build for you. All depends on what you like.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rais/saved/4le9

cries4hardcore
04-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Really appreciate all the input. Will def take both builds and think about them. I agree that I don't need the uber most powerful stuff(i7).
You mentioned something that I have googled and am still not really all that clear on. What does overclocking the CPU do, what are benefits and drawbacks, and how do you do it? Like, is it a command you type in or something physical you do to the board. Sorry I'm pretty damn clueless, Mac has ruined me.

Ambrotos
04-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Pretty much just think of overclocking as putting a supercharger on your corvette. Sure it was pretty fast before, but you just gave it a boost to go faster.

You can find a ton of info from this website http://www.overclock.net . It's where I learned, and still am.
Also a good page to compare video cards and how communities rank them. http://www.overclock.net/t/502403/graphics-card-ranking-5th-time-and-last-updated-daily

You can also use www.cpuboss.com or www.gpuboss.com . It help compares everything for you.
Overclocking is settings in the bios when you boot up. Motherboards now have the ability to overclock while you are already logged into windows. So overclocking depends on the cpu, motherboard and how you cool your system.

If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message. I will try and help you out.

cries4hardcore
04-11-2014, 10:18 PM
I just checked out your set up. How strong is it? Cuz like, the parts look good and the price point is sweet. I guess it's crazy how much companies tack on to manufacture shit. Also, you think I could put the thing together watching a couple helpful videos and a bit of elbow grease? Then, final question, do you find the 250gig solid state drive to be enough space or do you wish you has gone bigger, and is the use of sid state noticeable faster/more efficient?

cries4hardcore
04-11-2014, 10:19 PM
I fucking hate auto correct

Pitborn
04-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Ambrotos, i did nearly an identical build and am 100% pleased.

Great bang for the buck on that AMD gear.