PDA

View Full Version : Current state of World of Warcraft?

Obwin
04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I played WoW raiding hardcore from vanilla > BC and IMO BC was the best raid experience I had in any MMO. Since then I've went back and leveled here and there but never got back into the raid scene.

I think we can all (mostly) agree that the daily play pretty much sucks with all the daily quest, (solo) faction grinds and tokens or whatever else they've added but my question is the new heroic 10man content actually fun/challenging or is it just more of the same old same old? I always played healer and found raid healing / strategy to be a lot of fun but when I went back LFG pickup heroics/dungeons were so easy it was pretty much pointless.

Are there some people from p1999 actually playing WoW right now? As an adult with a career there is something very alluring about being able to make meaningful progress raiding 2-3 times a week ON MY SCHEDULE provided the raiding is actually fun.

I see some people from p1999 posting about playing wow I'd be curious hear some analysis of what is good, what sucks and if recommended or not from people who have actually played and raided recently before I bother getting a whole UI installed, figuring out all the new abilities / rotations etc.

LulzSect
04-11-2014, 11:21 AM
http://3beautifulbamfs.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/ari-gtfo.gif

iiNGloriouS
04-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Current state of wow is shit, still shit and will remain shit.

Their motto: Lets give everyone free gear that they have no sense of achievement for.

People who play WoW at its current state feel that they are entitled to epics regardless of whether they are competent players or literally the worst player.

Tis a sad state of the game.

fiegi 8.0
04-11-2014, 11:25 AM

lol

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I play WoW. Icy-Veins is prolly the best site for returning players. If you haven't played in MoP, you can get an instant level 90 just buy pre-ordering the new expansion. To work on your ilvl you'll want to run LFR's for Siege of Ogrimaar [end raid zone], max out your conquest [cap carries over week to week now so you'll start with a like 9k cap] so you can buy 550 ilvl items [just spam areans, you don't need a team anymore can just do yolo 2's as they're called], work your legendary cloak quest line ASAP it's ilvl 600 and opens up a boss called Ordos [see icy-veins for details], do the celestials world boss once a week for a shot @ 553 ilvl stuff, always cap your valor, do timeless isle quests and things for shot @ some 535 items, there's a 553 belt and pants craftable that you can buy in AH, etc. etc.

I can't stress enough how great openraid.us is. EVERYTHING is cross realmable now in WoW. You don't need a raiding guild to get into the content anymore. You can find PUG SOO raids, celestials, world bosses, even people just farming valor or questing.

If you have any questions shoot me a pm. MoP was one of the best expansions the game has ever had. Don't be deterred by the WoW haters.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Current state of wow is shit, still shit and will remain shit.

Their motto: Lets give everyone free gear that they have no sense of achievement for.

People who play WoW at its current state feel that they are entitled to epics regardless of whether they are competent players or literally the worst player.

Tis a sad state of the game.

yet you play a eq server 70 people play on with 32k hp mobs where everyone who plays walks around with epics and end game gear that take zero effort? confused

Obwin
04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Appreciate all the flames. If anyone actually plays and has input besides wow is SHIT please post.

Probably should have posted this in rants and flames. I know a lot of the game is obviously shit, my main question is whether the heroic 10m raids are actually challenging and enjoyable or not.

I posted this on everquest boards because I know EQ players will probably have similiar likes/dislikes as much and not say WOW Is awesome because the new flying mount looks cool.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Appreciate all the flames. If anyone actually plays and has input besides wow is SHIT please post.

Probably should have posted this in rants and flames. I know a lot of the game is obviously shit, my main question is whether the heroic 10m raids are actually challenging and enjoyable or not.

I posted this on everquest boards because I know EQ players will probably have similiar likes/dislikes as much and not say WOW Is awesome because the new flying mount looks cool.

Heroic raiding is challenging still for progressing guilds, but many people are over geared now from eight months of farming so they aren't as difficult as they used to be, which is normal @ the end of an expac. Raiding is the way it always was. The super uber people who go 6 days a week @ the release of new content still clear everything in 2-3 weeks. People who play the game normally i.e., raid 2-3 days a week, have plenty of content to progress and work at for months until the next content is released.

iiNGloriouS
04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
yet you play a eq server 70 people play on with 32k hp mobs where everyone who plays walks around with epics and end game gear that take zero effort? confused

Im playing it for the pvp; had lots of fun doing so. Besides the environment is like no other games pvp realms. Takes it to an extreme.

I bet you think the Timeless Isles were a good idea too.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Ya that pvp on red99. [22 players online currently]

Combobreaker
04-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I played WoW raiding hardcore from vanilla > BC and IMO BC was the best raid experience I had in any MMO. Since then I've went back and leveled here and there but never got back into the raid scene.

I think we can all (mostly) agree that the daily play pretty much sucks with all the daily quest, (solo) faction grinds and tokens or whatever else they've added but my question is the new heroic 10man content actually fun/challenging or is it just more of the same old same old? I always played healer and found raid healing / strategy to be a lot of fun but when I went back LFG pickup heroics/dungeons were so easy it was pretty much pointless.

Are there some people from p1999 actually playing WoW right now? As an adult with a career there is something very alluring about being able to make meaningful progress raiding 2-3 times a week ON MY SCHEDULE provided the raiding is actually fun.

I see some people from p1999 posting about playing wow I'd be curious hear some analysis of what is good, what sucks and if recommended or not from people who have actually played and raided recently before I bother getting a whole UI installed, figuring out all the new abilities / rotations etc.

I've got some old friends that play arena-tournament & excalibur for nostalgias sake.
I personally wouldn't touch retail though, I think there's even a decent vanilla server somewhere

Sigleaf
04-11-2014, 11:51 AM
The problem with WoW isn't necessarily the game itself (even though I would argue it is flawed in almost every way) but it is the stupidity of nearly everyone you meet in the game. The only way to play WoW is to get in a close knit guild, shield yourself from general chat, or your IQ will drop daily. I guess some could argue the same with this server but at least the people playing here are entertaining :D

Imago
04-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Great gif.

iiNGloriouS
04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Didnt inglorious come from eqmac after shut down?

Came for the pvp lol

Retti as retarded as ever.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 11:58 AM
The problem with WoW isn't necessarily the game itself (even though I would argue it is flawed in almost every way) but it is the stupidity of nearly everyone you meet in the game. The only way to play WoW is to get in a close knit guild, shield yourself from general chat, or your IQ will drop daily. I guess some could argue the same with this server but at least the people playing here are entertaining :D

I can't disagree more. In WoW you need to know your class, how to min/max, etc., etc. In EQ that's completely non-existent. There's nothing separating people in PvE on EQ from each other than RNG and gear. There aren't multiple builds or variations here. The vast majority of people I play with in WoW are nicer / more patient and more mature than the people here on average.

Sigleaf
04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I can't disagree more. In WoW you need to know your class, how to min/max, etc., etc. In EQ that's completely non-existent. There's nothing separating people in PvE on EQ from each other than RNG and gear. There aren't multiple builds or variations here. The vast majority of people I play with in WoW are nicer / more patient and more mature than the people here on average.

Apparently you don't LFR and only group with same core set of people. Hell, even in random BG's you get douchebags that go rambo, don't listen, spam general chat with adolescent rambling and racist remarks. In LFR they have dumbed down raiding so much that there are no mechanics you need to pay attention to any more. WoW is a cesspool for 15 year old kids that are angry at their parents and want to see the world burn.

I would like to add, cross realm/server = no accountability and it's why the state of the game is how it is. No community, not like WoW was every a good community to begin with.

iiNGloriouS
04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Know your class and min maxing lol maybe back in TBC/WotLK. Clicking 5 buttons on procs is real skill too.

Fawqueue
04-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Everything Heartbrand described about the current state of things was depressing. There's a goddamn 'finder' for everything now, and it just facilitates a lazy, bullshit shell of a game that used to be a lot of fun.

Warcraft needs to launch a classic server and remove all the nonsense.

Sigleaf
04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
In all honesty, if you want a good raiding game with a decent community with developers making content at a decent pace I would try FFXIV. Continues to look promising.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 12:05 PM
If you want the most unforgiving MMO then play FF14. I play with gongshow, lethdar, letsjoe, snufz.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Everything Heartbrand described about the current state of things was depressing. There's a goddamn 'finder' for everything now, and it just facilitates a lazy, bullshit shell of a game that used to be a lot of fun.

Warcraft needs to launch a classic server and remove all the nonsense.

I don't find the whole sitting around in a town for 2 hours to find the necessary people to play the game any fun. Luckily MMO devs agree and all new mmo's have finders for everything.

Stasis04
04-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty sure my war is on Tichondrius, I couldn't get immersed but I got my free 90 and I'm sure it'll happen someday, probably next expansion maybe sooner.

Fawqueue
04-11-2014, 12:22 PM
gamers arn't in school anymore

majority of gamers are adults with jobs and aint got time for /1 LFG FOR GROUP PLZ SEND TELL for 2 hours

thats why everything has a queue these days

thats why classic exp on a 10 person server doesn't work

Oh I'm aware, I'm 31 with a full-time job, a kid, and life. Even still, I'd rather carve out some time to put together a group or raid force with like-minded guild members that I've had experience with and trust, as opposed to joining a queue of randoms who don't say a word and disappear into obscurity when it's finished.

It's a preference thing, I'm aware that the new-school of gamers want things to be simple so they can get the full experience in a fraction of the time. I personally get a greater sense of achievement when I'm a part of something incredibly organized and social. I'm not necessarily saying what I enjoy is better...just that I enjoyed WoW more in it's earlier state and it's depressing to me (and maybe me only) that it's changed so drastically.

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 12:25 PM
guilds still exist where u can do things with your guild

finder is there for casuals that have a couple hours to just hop in pewpew and hop out

they are 2 different play styles to cater to 2 different types of players

neither affect each other so both can be happy

Obwin
04-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks Heartbrand for the reply, that was exactly the feedback I was looking for. TBH all the errands you listed to get back into things sounds kind of like a chore especially the LFR queues where you just roflstomp everything. I like the fact that I can just jump in and get going right away but eventually would just want to raid with the same group of 10 or 25 people each week.

I came back to Red with rebirth of Red Dawn which was a lot of fun for a while but now hardly anyone I met even logs in and the cost/benefit of continuing at this point is too high (unless something changes).

I did play MoP on release and have a 90 resto druid and a close to max (or max?) resto sham. Would probably come back as one of those. Care to comment on which is the most promising at this point?

*edit* may have to checkout Final Fantasy too.

Fawqueue
04-11-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't find the whole sitting around in a town for 2 hours to find the necessary people to play the game any fun. Luckily MMO devs agree and all new mmo's have finders for everything.

And I'm not surprised they agree, since they want to market their products to the audience that will net them the biggest profit. I may be too old-school in the way I want to do things, but the next generation absolutely needs these things arranged and spoon fed to them. My son is 13, and can't barely handle cooperating with four other random players in a match of league of legends. I couldn't imagine him actually trying to put together a team of his own.

In twenty years the genre will change again and my son will be complaining about how much he misses the good ol' days when MMOs had raid finders, maps, and easy-mode quest markers. All the while his son will tell him that the whole sitting around in a queue for 2 minutes to find the necessary people to play the game with isn't any fun and lucklly MMO devs agree. That's why they'll have one-hit kill legendary boss mobs in an empty room that require no groups for instant gratification.

Obwin
04-11-2014, 12:36 PM
You lost me at...

My son is 13, and can't barely handle .

:confused:

heartbrand
04-11-2014, 12:36 PM
In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but is usually known under its fallacious form in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.

VincentVolaju
04-11-2014, 12:37 PM
If you want to play WoW the only server Id recommend atm is Emerald Dream classic server, its progressed content kinda like this EQ one, and is by far the most popular "classic like" server. When I quit 5-6 months or so ago, ZG had just came out and was cleared, bwl been on farm for quite awhile also. AQ will be coming out next, but I haven't been around in months to see when that would be.

I couldn't play retail WoW just because of how insane the #s are now, people have like literally hundreds of thousands of HP, you shoot a fireball or something and its like "BOOM, 600,000 dmg!" so retarded. The next exp pack they plan to change that and lower it all down to about what it used to be in WoTLK, so it might be worth trying again then. So imo your only option is Emerald Dream while you wait for either exp pack, or for Core Craft to be released.

Fawqueue
04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but is usually known under its fallacious form in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.

Very true, although slippery slope arguments are often more interesting because nothing is required to make them beyond a clear logical path. It doesn't matter if it ends up being accurate or not. =P

And I'm not trying to detour or derail what the original poster was asking for, and I'm glad he got some information. I just read your state of the game in the earlier part of the thread and realized how far things have travelled from when I last played...and it's a bummer. I never said it 'sucks' or is in any way horrible for everyone. I'm just the victim of nostalgia, and pining for the way things used to be.

Fame
04-11-2014, 01:47 PM
live wow dead to me since cross-realms, shit killed the dream.

Zalaerian
04-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Draenor will be my fall back if velious is shit on red. Need to dust off the holy pal

Telron
04-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Im playing it for the pvp; had lots of fun doing so. Besides the environment is like no other games pvp realms. Takes it to an extreme.

I bet you think the Timeless Isles were a good idea too.

You play for the what?

Halius
04-11-2014, 06:05 PM
If you want the most unforgiving MMO then play FF14. I play with gongshow, lethdar, letsjoe, snufz.

I played FF14:ARR for a bit when it released (always been a big fan of the FF series) and I got bored quickly. I thought the game was put together well but with the whole debacle of character creation and servers being down all the time for the first few months it just gave me a sour taste. May try going back sometime soon.

As for WoW about 2 months ago I gave in a purchased MoP and just couldn't get into it. All the changes to the talent system and glyphs and all the cross-realm stuff with no community, plus the spams for guild invites like every 5 minutes were just annoying. There is absolutely no community and people just want to be in a guild for bonuses not to actually chat with others. I remember back in BC when I was in a guild where I actually knew everyone and we raided pretty consistently, was a good time. Now I just can't get into it anymore.

Xer0
05-11-2014, 03:03 PM
live wow dead to me since cross-realms, shit killed the dream.

As I guy who played from WOW's Closed Beta, the First day of Retail, til just days after panda express..

Wow was great in it's vanilla days. It was a challenge. Magic gear was not very restricted, it was not super easy to get GREAT gear and was an accomplishment to get the greatest (even now to get the highest end gear sets requires some input, but there are alternatives for lower achieving/more casual players.

I will say I disagree with you Fame, cross-realm actually did soemthing good; By the time it was implemented it was at a state where the majority of the people were online on a max level character and the newbie zones were empty.

As a past, and present altoholic this bothered me, and it actually renewed the game for me.

I honestly miss oldschool WoW, speaking as a fan of warcraft in general. The PVP servers were the best, having 2 distinct factions makes a great difference, red99 could take a lesson I think. Iksar shouldnt fear other iksar, nor Wood Elves high elves.. but all the ogres passing through the faydark to reach cb? maybe they should be worried.

Presently I think the game is in what I like to think of as it's death throes. Even though it will continue to make blizzard tons of cash for a long while, the initial game has died, has been devoured and shat out as something altogether new. Much like EQ Live... And if you've not played eq live in the last decade I dare you to register a new f2p accoutn and download eq1 live.

banharder
05-11-2014, 03:46 PM
im playing back on feenix bc now

server needs tanks badly.

server peaks at 2k ppl

Xer0
05-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I've played on Feenix, also on mangos and just about every other wow emlator out there. What's the xp rate on your BC server? I prefer to stick to the wow-like 1x xp servers

iiNGloriouS
05-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Arena-Tournament only server to play on. Man up and getyo ratings.

banharder
05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
feenix bc is 14x exp you level pretty quick

as for classic exp, go play on blue99 if you are masochistic

Pitborn
05-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I agree with the cross server shit killing WoW. Community needs to be an intergral part of the MMO experience.. not instant que pixel satiation for the mass A.D.D crowd.

I did have my fun with it, and im glad i got a lot of "blue plat" for my account when i threw that shit to the curb.

Greegon
05-11-2014, 11:52 PM

ff14 good game?

iiNGloriouS
05-12-2014, 12:10 AM
ff14 good game?

nope.

Robben
05-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Apparently you don't LFR and only group with same core set of people. Hell, even in random BG's you get douchebags that go rambo, don't listen, spam general chat with adolescent rambling and racist remarks. In LFR they have dumbed down raiding so much that there are no mechanics you need to pay attention to any more. WoW is a cesspool for 15 year old kids that are angry at their parents and want to see the world burn.

I would like to add, cross realm/server = no accountability and it's why the state of the game is how it is. No community, not like WoW was every a good community to begin with.

^ correct. The cross-server queues ruined WoW. People can play horribly w/ zero accountability. You'll probably never see those same people again