PDA

View Full Version : New players: The importance of having an EC mule

Vexenu
04-05-2014, 07:54 PM
This advice will seem stupidly obvious for established players, but a lot of new players I've run into don't seem to understand the importance of having an EC mule. I've had multiple players lately make a run to the bank before buying an item from me, which is totally unnecessary if you have a mule. An EC mule is a character you make that does nothing except sit in the EC tunnel and hold your plat and items. You don't have a need for an EC mule when you're a fresh player with no plat to your name, but once you get 30+ and start to accumulate some plat and gear to sell it makes sense to have an EC mule.

Without an EC mule you will be forced to physically move your character to EC every time you are looking to buy or sell an item. This can be extremely inconvenient and time consuming. An EC mule also removes the need to run back and forth to the bank when buying and selling items. You just hold the plat on your mule. There's no need to bank it. And once you accumulate over 10k plat or so, you move very slowly even with speed buffs. It's impractical to store that much plat in the bank. Just leave it all on your mule. To put it simply, your mule IS your bank.

With an EC mule, you simply find a trusted player (anyone 50+ with an established guild tag will do) to transfer your plat and items from your main to your mule. Then you can go about your business XPing or whatever. You can then log on your mule to check EC and buy/sell very quickly, without having to physically run there with your main. Then when you buy an item with your mule, simply move your main to EC and have someone transfer the item from your mule to your main. And if you sell an item, just keep the plat on your mule for later use. (Note: Do not be worried about people stealing your plat and items during a transfer. I have literally never heard a single instance of an established player from a known guild stealing in this way. Do be cautious about low level, unguilded players, however).

The preferred class for mules is Bard, since you get Selo's at level 5 which will allow you to move around while heavily encumbered, which is a nice convenience. Ultimately it doesn't matter what race/class your mule is, though. Pick whatever you'd like.

As you accumulate more plat you will be tempted to gear out your mule. There is no practical reason to do this, but if you spend a decent amount of time in EC you will soon begin to lust after a set of dyed fine plate armor for your mule. Perhaps you scoff and can't imagine indulging in such needless luxury, but be prepared for this expense!

Now go forth, and create your mule.