PDA

View Full Version : Consider Red

Fame
04-04-2014, 04:05 AM
If you're new to the project and are even remotely considering red this might be helpful info before you start.

Old thread was closed, C&P from there.

Tips for players new to the pvp scene, feel free to add more, I'm novice at best. Will edit good ones into list.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Noobie tips
When you can, buy gems with extra money. People can't loot your gems when you die. Best rate (when turning them back into platinum) is carnelians I think but those are like 8g each. Gems have different exchange rates and faction/charisma can make a huge difference on larger exchanges. No real pref here, I use peridots, they are ~10p each which makes for easy trade and tipping money along the way. Beware of shady vendors.

Use the environment. Much easier to spot a noob in a field medding than a noob next to a tree medding, With levitate and the right incline, you can face it, hold down run and slowly climb (works great with trees) some trees have a change in angle mid way and are impossible to climb using this method. Instead, run to a point of higher elevation and levitate over to the change in angle, climb. You can sit and med in most of these spots if you find a point where you no longer sink while just standing there. The further away from a wall the better. Expect hackusations.

Gate. Use it as a escape, not a doctors note to avoid pvp. Meaning, I see too many people gate out of zone. You're gonna have to travel anyway. Set up a bind in zone, shit gets rough, gate and recoup for a counter attack, don't just take your ball and go home. Use critical thought here, this method can be disastrous vs a competent and tracking class.

We have a shit load of heroes. Like everyone, almost every player here was botb or glad, pimp shit, emp whatever. Doesn't mean you can't be too, but let's be real here, it's gonna take time. While you're on your personal journey to greatness, don't forget the simple shit like tash and malo, heals, cures, whatever it is that wont get the KB/YT but will help the grp is worth doing. 9/10 times you wont kill that twink, but banded together, you just might.

Words/pages/runes - low pop and rare drop. Shitty mix for new players, I would suggest as a general practice, save the words and pages till ya hit a city and then sell them at the guild vendors. Don't know who did it, but lvling up, I happened to see almost every research spell I needed at the mage vendors along with mage specific words. Fuckin amazing to say the least. I try to do this now too. Do this on the reg and respond to other players looking for words and tell them to do the same. Could be gold. The wiki has a good spread for seeing what pages are for what class, noobs get thousands of collective plat thrown at you, do your part.

Not getting ganked - what the fuck are you smoking? It happens. Learn to live with it, in the worst case, alt for a bit. 90% of the time if you get corpse camped, you had it coming, the other 8%, bronson, the other 2, random gang violence.

How to avoid that - be a decent human. Shit actually goes a long way. Making friends is the only thing that will really help you on red. The downside to this is that with too many, you end up missing out on a lot of pvp. But, further down the road, you can even have pvp with these friends and still have fun. It's a game. I play the wild card. If I don't attack you now, one day I might later, but probably not.

Know your zone, nothin surgical, but at least have rough bearings and know where your out is, your decoy safe spot, a real safe spot, a place to avoid track, vendor ect. All this goes a long way when the big moment comes. You do not want to be caught in a moment of "oh shit!" or "oh fuck!" Those will get you killed.

"Over here" doesn't mean a god damn thing. "To the north!" works. And fuck a loc, who the hell actually has a grid layout in their mind? Takes a little bit of time to get used to but well worth it.

Someone sittin smug in a city? Taunting you? Been a while on this one, not sure if they patched it, but, harmony the guards.

Buy Crystallized Pumice and Cloudy Potions if you can't disspell or invis yourself. they might not have been worth it on blue servers, but on red they can save your life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lot's of other basics along the way, would do the senseheading and /who bound to movement keys and shit but I'm hoping most of you already know those tricks. Gonna try to keep it red. Will add more when I think of em, most are almost very basic tips. Add your own!

Good luck out there

Useful links about PvP on EQ:

Rallos Zek PvP FAQ (http://web.archive.org/web/20010905102949/http://www.users.qwest.net/~fcarmen/faq.htm)

<3 Blart (http://www.notacult.com/guide_trollshaman.html)

Thanks for reading!

Fame
04-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Never forget

Archistopheles
04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Anyone else read all that and think that the Red server is a lot like Jail?

"Make friends, or your ass gun' get shanked."

Conscript
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
I always love watching PvP communities die through self-destruction.

Swish
04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
If anyone wants some cheap resist gear made, let me know, I can do it at cost. I work out of North Freeport, but can deliver to Neriak if you're kos.

Hastley
04-09-2014, 11:10 AM
consider getting a life instead of being a 15 year old emulated elf simulator at the age of 25+ , in my opinion!

Hastley
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
thought this was RnF, sorry for the intrusion

Laugher
04-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Red can be fun but its a larger challenge than blue in almost every aspect; you must make friends with the right people (namely anyone who is still playing there/that is willing to help you level and gear), level mostly solo, and regularly keep an eye out for people travelling through your area(bind a /who key).

After playing PvE EQ for years red can be a nice change if you're up to the challenge; it is far more rewarding imo to accomplish anything on red because of the difficulty due to the lack of pop/PvP presence.

Fame
04-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Envy

Rhambuk
04-11-2014, 04:34 PM
this
just let us finish each other off
plz stop rolling on red

First honest post i've ever seen from a red.

Goobles
04-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Stop trolling these posts. They're serious efforts to promote Red and improve grouping for everyone. I think GMs should start banning people who can not comply.

kylok
04-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Stop trolling these posts. They're serious efforts to promote Red and improve grouping for everyone. I think GMs should start banning people who can not comply.

+1

SamwiseRed
04-11-2014, 04:51 PM
consider considering

Rhambuk
04-11-2014, 04:57 PM

was being serious. For a little trolling, how about we start banning the people that make 2-3 of these posts a week for spamming forums?

also got a laugh that as soon as posted that you got about 5 pure nonsense responses.

Vlaid
04-12-2014, 06:54 AM
I used to play on all the pvp servers back in the classic days up through vellious. I would just roll on them when they were new, play up to 50~ or so when everyone started maxing and then I would quit until the next pvp server came out. I had a small group of 5-10 people who would do the same with me, lots of fun rivalries and pvp douchebaggery.

Unfortunately it always got boring when everyone got max level. The untwinked leveling pvp was actually a blast. But once people get maxed out it just turns to a bunch of garbage twinks playing god which self-kills the server when it turns off anyone newer. Sad times.

Too bad there's not enough interest in EQ pvp for a racewar server. That was always my favorite one. Definitely not a fan of the "regular" pvp ruleset.

Jenni D
04-12-2014, 07:15 AM
heres an example NOT to play on red.
as its basically a soloquest from 1 to 60, as a hybrid melee i died earlier and am unable to find a rez as the pop is so low. i cant even buy a port. thats the reality. lvl 46 - 20% xp loss roughly on a death, just have to eat it.

sox7d
04-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I used to play on all the pvp servers back in the classic days up through vellious. I would just roll on them when they were new, play up to 50~ or so when everyone started maxing and then I would quit until the next pvp server came out. I had a small group of 5-10 people who would do the same with me, lots of fun rivalries and pvp douchebaggery.

Unfortunately it always got boring when everyone got max level. The untwinked leveling pvp was actually a blast. But once people get maxed out it just turns to a bunch of garbage twinks playing god which self-kills the server when it turns off anyone newer. Sad times.

Too bad there's not enough interest in EQ pvp for a racewar server. That was always my favorite one. Definitely not a fan of the "regular" pvp ruleset.

Lol, this thread single-handedly made me abandon my lvl 10 ranger on this server.

Faywind
04-12-2014, 09:42 AM
If you want to play Everquest as a single player game, roll Red. No one plays there...

Robber
04-12-2014, 10:30 AM
I thought the "dead99" posts were exaggerations until I tried it for myself the other day. Made a halfling warrior and played for pretty much the whole day without seeing another soul.

OOC was also pretty much as bad as everyone says it is. I don't know how people can stand to see that garbage for any real length of time. It really does need to be policed or just removed, as whatever value it may have added was completely destroyed by trolling and epeening.

Rerolled on Blue and things are night and day population wise. Ended up making my way to ecommons and grabbing a bind and buffs from the tunnel crowd. There were more people at the tunnel on Blue than on the entire Red server.

So yeah, if anyone is looking to start playing I would, as a new player myself, recommend giving Blue a try. The lack of players on Red combined with the awful display the few players who are online broadcast in the OOC channel just make the server a major letdown. Blue players just seem nicer and, well, actually exist.

JPMorgan
04-12-2014, 11:59 AM
After playing PvE EQ for years red can be a nice change if you're up to the challenge; it is far more rewarding imo to accomplish anything on red because of the difficulty due to the lack of pop/PvP presence.

kylok
04-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Red99 GM Q&A (http://youtu.be/9d_LQnj9ovw)

Vidar
04-12-2014, 05:51 PM
This is just ridiculous.

Biaxil
04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
I laugh when people say Red is dead. Well if you played there, it wouldn't be. Making fun and just talking shit about it does it no help. Its actually more in depth than blue could ever be for obvious reasons. On blue, while EQ classic is awesome, is limited once you get all the best gear. Then what are you supposed to do? Your char becomes nothing more than a trophy of what you achieved. At least on Red, you can continue to play with that character with a purpose.

Also, there is a leveling guild, so I've usually been able to find people to group with. So if you played on Red, along with other people, it could grow into its potential.

Swish
04-13-2014, 09:40 AM
This is just ridiculous.

http://i.imgur.com/1fqHXLI.gif

Enjoy your ban, you can't throw shoes at important people Vidar :p

Robben
04-13-2014, 10:22 AM
I laugh when people say Red is dead. Well if you played there, it wouldn't be. Making fun and just talking shit about it does it no help. Its actually more in depth than blue could ever be for obvious reasons. On blue, while EQ classic is awesome, is limited once you get all the best gear. Then what are you supposed to do? Your char becomes nothing more than a trophy of what you achieved. At least on Red, you can continue to play with that character with a purpose.

Also, there is a leveling guild, so I've usually been able to find people to group with. So if you played on Red, along with other people, it could grow into its potential.

The problem is the fully twinkled griefers camped in every decent exp spot.

I got on last week, joined w/ Uprising, had a little 4-person group in MM graveyard.

Trained by DE SK w/ a CoS, trained again by same SK. Try to run to zone to avoid a third train, attacked by epic rogue Nihilum alt.

Corpse camped and screamed at for being an "Azrael alt"

Group logs off and I'm back to soloing on my cleric... Like I did for the first 31 levels

I want to play on red, but have horrible gear, no pvp friends, and soloing on a nearly-empty server becomes tiring...

Trosh
04-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Just wait for them to release the teams pvp server and play on blue for now :P

Vlaid
04-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Just wait for them to release the teams pvp server and play on blue for now :P

If they ever release a team pvp server I'll be on it. But it will likely be even harder to get groups....restricted by your race xD

kylok
04-13-2014, 05:25 PM
The problem is the fully twinkled griefers camped in every decent exp spot.

I got on last week, joined w/ Uprising, had a little 4-person group in MM graveyard.

Trained by DE SK w/ a CoS, trained again by same SK. Try to run to zone to avoid a third train, attacked by epic rogue Nihilum alt.

Corpse camped and screamed at for being an "Azrael alt"

Group logs off and I'm back to soloing on my cleric... Like I did for the first 31 levels

I want to play on red, but have horrible gear, no pvp friends, and soloing on a nearly-empty server becomes tiring...

If you don't want to be harassed you shouldn't go to hot spot areas like unrest, MM etc. It's like going to EC on blue and expecting to not be spammed with /auction.

Kimm Bare|y
04-14-2014, 12:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QetsoL3.jpg

Faerie
04-14-2014, 12:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QetsoL3.jpg

Lol wtf does this have to do with the thread? I hadn't even posted here yet :(

JPMorgan
04-14-2014, 12:58 AM
If you don't want to be harassed you shouldn't go to hot spot areas like unrest, MM etc. It's like going to EC on blue and expecting to not be spammed with /auction.

It's a hot spot because the exp is good.

But, server pop is bad because no bonus exp?

Hmmmm.......

Fame
04-14-2014, 12:58 AM
Lol wtf does this have to do with the thread? I hadn't even posted here yet :(

We all love you Faerie, we just have trouble showing it sometimes..

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/094/8/9/troll_bridge___pencils_by_gido-d60evd5.jpg

freez
04-14-2014, 01:25 AM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Sskape1/EQ000120_zpsba6cbd3d.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/Sskape1/media/EQ000120_zpsba6cbd3d.jpg.html)

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Sskape1/EQ000126_zps398abd2c.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/Sskape1/media/EQ000126_zps398abd2c.jpg.html)

dont even need to move to kill people

Fame
04-14-2014, 01:26 AM
tbh I kinda like the post your killshots trend in the red threads. Pras

freez
04-14-2014, 01:28 AM
i like this 1

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Sskape1/EQ000186.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/Sskape1/media/EQ000186.jpg.html)

freez
04-14-2014, 01:30 AM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Sskape1/Untitled25.png (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/Sskape1/media/Untitled25.png.html)

lol

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Sskape1/Untitled24.png (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/Sskape1/media/Untitled24.png.html)

Quineloe
04-14-2014, 02:34 AM

So play on red, but stay away from the interesting zones that actually give good exp and instead slowly solo in Swamp of no Players or Lake Rathe?

Harassed, lol. Red99 highlevels club their own seals, then cry because nobody plays on their server.

and to top the shit off, you guys post screenshots of your killshots with insults in the chat window, and you think your toxic behaviour is actually reason to play on the server instead of staying far away from it.

and on top of all that, you talk about "max level max geared" characters that serve no purpose on blue. That's some hardcore neckbearding.

Fame
04-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Red's not for everyone, I personally love everything you just described about red.

Quineloe
04-14-2014, 02:38 AM
Good, then just accept that you're the 1% minority.

kylok
04-14-2014, 02:42 AM

Clearly jelly of us 1%ers. As Fame said it's not for everyone, was just trying to let people know that some of their experiences were simply par for the course.

Quineloe
04-14-2014, 03:02 AM
Enjoy your shitty cafeteria line, bluesers

I'm enjoying doing undead in kithicor for mad exp at night right now.

Fame
04-14-2014, 03:02 AM

Hard to be #1

http://dudelol.com/img/jack-churchill-total-badass..jpeg

kylok
04-14-2014, 04:10 AM
I'm enjoying doing undead in kithicor for mad exp at night right now.

Low blow man, low blow - Kith's down on red atm.

Quineloe
04-14-2014, 06:30 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2zr2t79.jpg

Dullah
04-14-2014, 06:31 AM
I always love watching PvP communities die through self-destruction.

Cant exactly say it self-destruction, though having a high concentration of e-thugs and sociopaths intent on griefing the rest of the server, who also whispered and whined directly to staff when they lost, never helped.

After steadily creeping up for months, the red population dropped like a rock, and continues to evaporate, since the staff first intervened with the server politics and power struggles, the very heart of EQ pvp. Once thats compromised and the powers that be personally involve themselves by playing, interacting and/or privately communicating with select people, they forfeit their objectivity and unwittingly align themselves. Bias is inevitably injected, authority used for evil, and the entire server becomes tainted by irrational and illogical regulations and rulings that stand in direct opposition to everything that made EQ pvp fun. Sure, much of this was changed months later, but the damage was already done.

Integrity = 0. Thats why red99 is dead99.

kylok
04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
heres an example NOT to play on red.
as its basically a soloquest from 1 to 60, as a hybrid melee i died earlier and am unable to find a rez as the pop is so low. i cant even buy a port. thats the reality. lvl 46 - 20% xp loss roughly on a death, just have to eat it.

Red99 confirmed lovely and happy

Fuck blue
Jenni got her rez.

Faywind
04-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Enjoy your shitty cafeteria line, bluesers

Enjoy your single player everquest experience lol

Conscript
04-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Cant exactly say it self-destruction, though having a high concentration of e-thugs and sociopaths intent on griefing the rest of the server, who also whispered and whined directly to staff when they lost, never helped.

After steadily creeping up for months, the red population dropped like a rock, and continues to evaporate, since the staff first intervened with the server politics and power struggles, the very heart of EQ pvp. Once thats compromised and the powers that be personally involve themselves by playing, interacting and/or privately communicating with select people, they forfeit their objectivity and unwittingly align themselves. Bias is inevitably injected, authority used for evil, and the entire server becomes tainted by irrational and illogical regulations and rulings that stand in direct opposition to everything that made EQ pvp fun. Sure, much of this was changed months later, but the damage was already done.

From my lurking on the forums of P1999 I have made some steady observations about why the PvP server is terrible and no-one wants to play there.

1) Having an ego, talking trash and being a tool is great and awesome... if your server peak is over 1000 players and not 100.

2) Server admins always suck, on every game that ever allowed a private server in the history of gaming. They do what they think is right, you just have to deal with it or move on unfortunately.

Red99 reminds me of the movie "The Village" the same exact people are fighting each other and they think they are the center of the universe and nothing new ever happens... when in reality there is a giant wall a few miles away surrounding you where the real world lies.

Swish
04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Enjoy your single player everquest experience lol

I was in South Karana around KFC (aviak village) earlier today. What did I see? 4 people all soloing, similar levels etc...all enjoying their single player leveling experience. Monk, shaman, wizard and barb warrior (with lfg up). Ready made group right there, but no.

The shaman even got mad when I accidentally pulled a mob he was about to pull. This is why people want to box, want mercs, etc etc. Group up, make pals... if you roll on red join <Uprising>, we make groups and have a good old time.

freez
04-14-2014, 07:40 PM

guys, this retard has 7 banned characters on red.

that is all

freez
04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
chewie mad because he cant hide behind 8 levels and a harmtouch anymore.

he just doesnt have what it takes to kill newbies without it.

lolsy

LulzSect
04-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Go back to Graffe's where you can contribute to fashion EQ threads again.

kylok
04-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Go back to Graffe's where you can contribute to fashion EQ threads again.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/474544fa8ab745cb01949a7d0d6287a4/tumblr_inline_n0foo7uh8K1qhyxru.gif

Fame
04-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Thanks for reading everyone

Fame
04-17-2014, 04:51 AM
I hear Red is really fun right now for low lvl players

Swish
04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
I hear Red is really fun right now for low lvl players

Leveling a cleric, can't complain...got jumped by a wizard a couple of days ago, both of us quite 'green', but I healed off his nukes then dps'd him down with my 2hb :D

Swish
04-19-2014, 02:18 PM
<Uprising> always putting groups together, join today pals :)

Swish
04-22-2014, 08:52 AM
http://i.minus.com/iN7A86apoi9CF.gif

Fame
04-23-2014, 11:38 AM
You can play both red and blue at the same time.

kaos057
04-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Yea consider red because they already ran everyone off. Red is not even pvp. It's nothing more than a twinked out gank fest of little kids jerking off to pixel deaths. I always loved pvp but red is a joke. Not to mention you have to solo your way to 60 unless you have a bunch of friends. Maybe a teams server will be better but for now red is a complete failure.

kylok
04-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Yea consider red because they already ran everyone off. Red is not even pvp. It's nothing more than a twinked out gank fest of little kids jerking off to pixel deaths. I always loved pvp but red is a joke. Not to mention you have to solo your way to 60 unless you have a bunch of friends. Maybe a teams server will be better but for now red is a complete failure.

^ does not play on red.

#bigthings2014

kaos057
04-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Actually I played on red for quite a while.

iiNGloriouS
04-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Actually I played on red for quite a while.

Doubt it.

kaos057
04-24-2014, 09:40 PM
look up all my posts genius

kylok
04-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Your account of the state of the red server is inaccurate, regardless of your history on the box. Low level twinks aren't prolific, there are people to group and play with, and big things are coming to red - now is the time to start on red. Don't be level one competing for mobs like bluebies when the exp bonus hits.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Your account of the state of the red server is inaccurate, regardless of your history on the box. Low level twinks aren't prolific, there are people to group and play with, and big things are coming to red - now is the time to start on red. Don't be level one competing for mobs like bluebies when the exp bonus hits.

This.
I've yet to meet even 1 low level griefer. Fun times happening.

Big things.

BIG THINGS

kaos057
04-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Well I guess it changed a lot seeing how the population dropped drastically. I can definitely see how you don't see many griffers on when there's only 10-30 people on.

big mouth chew
04-25-2014, 08:18 AM
might break 20 pop today
big things

LittleSorcerer7
04-25-2014, 10:32 AM
I've been pve always on eq, but if there were more people on the server is totally try the pvp scene. Sadly eq isn't a solo game though.

kylok
04-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Red regularly sees 100ish players during popular hours. There are groups and pvp to be had, try red today!

LittleSorcerer7
04-25-2014, 03:22 PM
To be honest man 100 people in the entire vast world of norrath is kind of sad :( need like 600+ for classic to even start being a real server

LittleSorcerer7
04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Do you lose exp when a player kills you? Or is the only penalty corpse recovery and they can loot your plat

Fame
04-25-2014, 03:54 PM
You don't lose exp anymore, those were the good ol days /nostalgicmoment. They can take your plat though, buy gems and they can't loot those.

kaos057
04-25-2014, 05:15 PM
I know it wouldn't be classic at all but a completely new pvp system would really make it fun. I think a blue server with pvp in all raid zones would be insane.

Heavenzoutcast
04-25-2014, 05:21 PM
I look at red server like I look at test server on live. Not a whole lot of people, need to find your own gear (for the most part). Camps you want are not always on lock by someone else and your free to do what you please. You can be evil and kill people, or nice and give to others, yet only to attack when attacked. I'm enjoying it. If any blues are reading this, come on over... You know you want to!

Tecmos Deception
04-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Staff have put the smack down on some "toxic" players who were trolling and being otherwise lame on the forums with forum bans and ingame suspensions. Big things imminent. Consider red!

nonphixion
04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
come to red, when you ragequit and delete your characters they restore them for you if you ask nicely!

kylok
04-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Most things can be accomplished through politeness.

Tecmos Deception
04-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Big things on red!

Project 1999: Red glares at you threateningly - Is Your Body Red-y?

Welcome to Red 99! If you've always wondered what Red was all about - or found out in the past and weren't thrilled with what you saw - we invite you to come try again. With a host of changes having been made in the past 6 months, including with the most recent patch, Red 99 is better than it has ever been. Come find out what it means for your Body to be Ready today!

Group Experience Bonus -

Project 1999 Red now has a 50% experience bonus from 1-60. In addition to this, for each group member, a 40% experience modifier will be added to all XP the group obtains. This means that with a full 6 member group, you will be provided a 290% bonus to all experience gained, 1-60.

This will provide a faster leveling experience than on blue, but still allow people to take the time to learn their character, meet new friends, and encounter new enemies on their way to level 60. Have your friends roll on red with you, and enjoy the journey!

The Play Nice Policy -

The new Play Nice Policy gives people new and old to PvP a way to ease their transition into a PvP environment. If you are killed in PvP, you need only let the person who killed you and people in the zones you are moving through know that you are "Loot and Scooting (LnS)". This will allow you to get your corpse, and move on from the zone, no questions asked. The player who killed you does not have an option to kill you again if you call loot and scoot, so long as you get your body and move from the zone.

The Play Nice Policy also mixes blue rules with tradional red 99 rules. Any situation that cannot be solved by PvP has the blue rules applied in that situation. For example, if you are camping emperor crushbone, and a level 60 comes to take your spawn, he has to wait in line like everyone else. No longer can people steal your camps 'because its a pvp server'. However, if you are in range of the player in question, and PvP is an option, you'd better watch out! He can kill you to take your camp. A similar application is used for killstealing - high level players cannot steal your kills. If they are out of level-range, they must leave you, and your mobs, alone.

For more information on the specifics of the Red Play Nice Policy, please visit this thread. (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132301)

The PvP Level Range -

The PvP Level Range has been changed to +/- 4 from 1-60. This provides players with a 'more comfortable' range to PvP from. No longer will someone 6, 7, 8 levels higher than you be able to obliterate you with little resistance. Now you'll have a fighting chance in almost all situations.

'City OOC/Area OOC' -

Global OOC, or shared OOC, only works within city zones. This means that you can read and chat to shared OOC when you are in a zone that is a city. When you are in a non-city zone, OOC will be shared across zones in your area. Now you can seek out groups, find similarily leveled players, and sell your wares when you are in a city. Alternatively, find people nearby when you're out in the wilds, in the depths of a dungeon, or racing across the plains.

Not only does this foster a light roleplaying element by forcing people to congregate in cities, it ensures that people have a way to communciate their wants and needs across the world. Once you reach level 5, you will be able to speak to the entire server, find groups, auction your wares, and join in on the discussions.

For a list of which zones will share an OOC, please visit this thread (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148679).

Nagafen's Lair and Permafrost are no longer no-level range zones -

Soldungb (Nagafen's Lair) and Permafrost are now +/- 4 level range. In the past, these fantastic zones were 'FFA', and you could be killed by people much, much higher level than you. No longer! These two zones are now limited by level range, and will function like normal zones in PvP.

Resist Fixes -

On February 23rd, 2013 changes were made to the way resists work on Project 1999: Red. Resist gear is more meaningful now, and you are more likely to resist spell when wearing resist gear. This adds balance to the PvP system, and allows new and old players alike to flex their strategic muscles, both when picking gear and when actually engaged in combat.

The PvP Community -

There are many misconceptions as to what 'the PvP community' is on Project 1999. Many people have a negative view of Red 99 and it's players. It's time to throw these notions out the window! You will be pleasantly surprised when you get in game and realize that even people who kill you are often willing to lend you a helping hand afterwards (and maybe a bit of advice!). Come find out what it means to be a part of Red 99!

Sign me up!

There is nothing quite like the adrenaline rush of a close PvP encounter. The excitement, the thrill, the fear, and the elation of a win is one of the most pure and challenging gaming experiences out there today. PvP offers an opportunity to make close friends who would quite literally die for you in game, and bitter enemies who would do the exact opposite. The bonds and community formed on a PvP server last a lifetime. We will be running GM events, and the established players and guilds will be helping to welcome new players to the server all weekend! Come join in on the fun, the strategy, the heartbreak, the laughter, the tears, and the excitement that is Project 1999 Red: PvP today!

Conscript
04-27-2014, 08:33 AM
I still don't understand why there is a group only experience bonus and not a solo experience bonus as well on a PvP server...

On a low population server..
On a FREE FOR ALL server..
On a server with a lack of access to OOC until an appropriate level..

Faywind
04-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Big things on red!

Indeed, it's looking much more playable now. I like all of these changes.

LittleSorcerer7
04-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Cool changes now we only need teams

Fame
04-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Now is the time to join for sure, in addition to the number of new players red has seen in recent months with these new changes we are sure to see even more young adventurers entering a world of Norrath were players may be friend or foe. There will be groups available leveling up if you get in with the wave of new players now. Good luck and heed my words my children. I cannot guarantee your safety, but when you need it most, may my words guide and protect you.

Pras

Splorf22
04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
The big problem I have with red is that it just isn't possible to play casually :(

Maybe if Jeremy lets me borrow a fungi and tstaff I'll try a monk for a bit though

Biaxil
04-27-2014, 02:07 PM
The big problem I have with red is that it just isn't possible to play casually :(

Maybe if Jeremy lets me borrow a fungi and tstaff I'll try a monk for a bit though

It is now though. More people are playing, so more grps, plus the exp bonus.

Fame
04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Red99 is thriving

Swish
05-03-2014, 10:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/StdpT92.gif

Swish
05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uPjis2y.gif

Rellapse40
05-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Bump cuz Juauna is a cry baby

Swish
05-09-2014, 04:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5OB87tP.gif

Rellapse40
05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uPjis2y.gif

Xer0
05-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Reconsidered red this morning. Got my iksar shaman up to level 14 with the help of a friendly MNK. sitin it kurns tryin to get some groupae going if anyone with a low lvl iksar alt reads this

kylok
05-12-2014, 02:31 AM
Blue server:

http://i.imgur.com/kh64yyS.gif

Red server:

http://i.imgur.com/Xmfwjjc.gif

superapan
05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Just started, loving it.

Fame
05-15-2014, 02:01 PM
If you're new to the project and are even remotely considering red this might be helpful info before you start.

Old thread was closed, C&P from there.

Tips for players new to the pvp scene, feel free to add more, I'm novice at best. Will edit good ones into list.

Noobie tips
When you can, buy gems with extra money. People can't loot your gems when you die. Best rate (when turning them back into platinum) is carnelians I think but those are like 8g each. Gems have different exchange rates and faction/charisma can make a huge difference on larger exchanges. No real pref here, I use peridots, they are ~10p each which makes for easy trade and tipping money along the way. Beware of shady vendors.

Use the environment. Much easier to spot a noob in a field medding than a noob next to a tree medding, With levitate and the right incline, you can face it, hold down run and slowly climb (works great with trees) some trees have a change in angle mid way and are impossible to climb using this method. Instead, run to a point of higher elevation and levitate over to the change in angle, climb. You can sit and med in most of these spots if you find a point where you no longer sink while just standing there. The further away from a wall the better. Expect hackusations.

Gate. Use it as a escape, not a doctors note to avoid pvp. Meaning, I see too many people gate out of zone. You're gonna have to travel anyway. Set up a bind in zone, shit gets rough, gate and recoup for a counter attack, don't just take your ball and go home. Use critical thought here, this method can be disastrous vs a competent and tracking class.

We have a shit load of heroes. Like everyone, almost every player here was botb or glad, pimp shit, emp whatever. Doesn't mean you can't be too, but let's be real here, it's gonna take time. While you're on your personal journey to greatness, don't forget the simple shit like tash and malo, heals, cures, whatever it is that wont get the KB/YT but will help the grp is worth doing. 9/10 times you wont kill that twink, but banded together, you just might.

Words/pages/runes - low pop and rare drop. Shitty mix for new players, I would suggest as a general practice, save the words and pages till ya hit a city and then sell them at the guild vendors. Don't know who did it, but lvling up, I happened to see almost every research spell I needed at the mage vendors along with mage specific words. Fuckin amazing to say the least. I try to do this now too. Do this on the reg and respond to other players looking for words and tell them to do the same. Could be gold. The wiki has a good spread for seeing what pages are for what class, noobs get thousands of collective plat thrown at you, do your part.

Not getting ganked - what the fuck are you smoking? It happens. Learn to live with it, in the worst case, alt for a bit. 90% of the time if you get corpse camped, you had it coming, the other 8%, bronson, the other 2, random gang violence.

How to avoid that - be a decent human. Shit actually goes a long way. Making friends is the only thing that will really help you on red. The downside to this is that with too many, you end up missing out on a lot of pvp. But, further down the road, you can even have pvp with these friends and still have fun. It's a game. I play the wild card. If I don't attack you now, one day I might later, but probably not.

Know your zone, nothin surgical, but at least have rough bearings and know where your out is, your decoy safe spot, a real safe spot, a place to avoid track, vendor ect. All this goes a long way when the big moment comes. You do not want to be caught in a moment of "oh shit!" or "oh fuck!" Those will get you killed.

"Over here" doesn't mean a god damn thing. "To the north!" works. And fuck a loc, who the hell actually has a grid layout in their mind? Takes a little bit of time to get used to but well worth it.

Someone sittin smug in a city? Taunting you? Been a while on this one, not sure if they patched it, but, harmony the guards.

Buy Crystallized Pumice and Cloudy Potions if you can't disspell or invis yourself. they might not have been worth it on blue servers, but on red they can save your life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lot's of other basics along the way, would do the senseheading and /who bound to movement keys and shit but I'm hoping most of you already know those tricks. Gonna try to keep it red. Will add more when I think of em, most are almost very basic tips. Add your own!

Good luck out there

Useful links about PvP on EQ:

Rallos Zek PvP FAQ (http://web.archive.org/web/20010905102949/http://www.users.qwest.net/~fcarmen/faq.htm)

<3 Blart (http://www.notacult.com/guide_trollshaman.html)

Thanks for reading!

no chewie dont
05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
legit question:
how many times can you copy and paste the same tldr before its considered spam

Fame
05-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Me, probably never, you, dunno, would probably say less

Wrench
05-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Me, probably never, you, dunno, would probably say less

less than never?