PDA

View Full Version : Are log parsers ok or are they in violation of the rules?

Sinaz
04-02-2014, 05:06 AM
As the title says, is it ok to create and use log parsers or are they against the rules?

Specifically im looking to build a real time log parser to automatically keep track of buff durations. This will only access the physical eqlog.txt file on the local machine and nothing else.

Would be great to get an official Yay or Nay.

Cheers
SIN

Sirken
04-02-2014, 05:43 AM
if its only accessing the logs it should be fine.

Sinaz
04-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Cheers for the response and thumbs up.

SIN

Ele
04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
In case you didn't know, GamTextTriggers already allows for timing buffs with timers and overlay screen notifications. It only parses the text files.

http://gambosoft.com/Pages/GamTextTriggers_Features.htm

Sinaz
04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Not used GamTextTriggers yet but from what i could see it needed a certain amount of setup? How well does it work with automatically tracking buffs?

Cheers
SIN

Ele
04-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Not used GamTextTriggers yet but from what i could see it needed a certain amount of setup? How well does it work with automatically tracking buffs?

Cheers
SIN

It does take some initial set up of the specific trigger text you want watched "soandso's eyes gleam with blah" or "soandso feels brave", but after the initial set up, it runs pretty great.

You can also use it to time place holders or time between death touches. They allow for variables, something like {s} which will allow the timer or prompt to use the name of the person on the visual timer bar.

HawkMasterson1999
04-02-2014, 03:00 PM
They removed text triggers from p99? How is it not cheating to use a 3rd party prog that does the same thing?

Xanthias
04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
They removed text triggers from p99? How is it not cheating to use a 3rd party prog that does the same thing?

Because it isn't affecting the client itself and only reading the log file.
It is no different than a damage parse.

Mirox
04-03-2014, 08:01 PM
If you were to program something that read /loc returns from the log file, show a map of the zone you are in, read from the zoning in statement from the logs, then showed the user a map with their character dot on it, would that be legal? (Serious question, as I am currently programming a parser, and this is one of the things I wrote down)

Also, my buff timers don't need any setup and are currently working with overlay. :D

Azure
04-03-2014, 09:13 PM
If you were to program something that read /loc returns from the log file, show a map of the zone you are in, read from the zoning in statement from the logs, then showed the user a map with their character dot on it, would that be legal? (Serious question, as I am currently programming a parser, and this is one of the things I wrote down)

Also, my buff timers don't need any setup and are currently working with overlay. :D

Your allowed to access directdraw natively and draw shit on the screen over a window. I don't think anyone is going to kill you.

You just cant read/edit EQ's allocated memory or modify the loaded .dll or .exe or modify them directly to output anything unique and trace-able.

myriverse
04-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Legal. In fact, someone already created such a program.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126067