PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you play here/log in every day?

Azure
04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I'll start with my reasons. Try to keep them simple and in a personal perspective. I'm hoping if we keep it simple straight forward and personal to ourselves we'll get a good picture of why the people who post here... but don't bolster the population aren't regular players. Of course the sample is biased by forum registries. But I'll post a link in blue server general chat and invite people to speak their mind.

Keep the thread clean and don't go off topic.

*update - the blue server chat informational thread linking people to this one: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145691&page=2 some more input there in case anyone is interested.

Let me start.

I'm unsure of the servers future.
Server feels lonely and empty.
Lack of personal time to devote to a lonely and empty server.

Sektor
04-01-2014, 12:33 PM
pity reply

LulzSect
04-01-2014, 12:36 PM
pity reply

lecompte
04-01-2014, 12:40 PM
I feel like I can only play a wizard or druid without being hunted down and killed if I'm not in one of the big guilds. I like to PvP... I just don't like it when that one (2nd largest guild? can't remember there name) who has to assert itself goes through all the zones looking for people to gank and when they find someone, they port in a group to go after one person.

If I'm on a wizard or a druid I can just leave but if I'm on a ____________ I end up trapped somewhere.

Eslade
04-01-2014, 12:48 PM
pity reply

baalzy
04-01-2014, 12:50 PM
So far I'm doing okay. None of the people I've ran into have tried to gank me but I do see the random yellow texts and it looks like the only way to level up is to do it solo and in the most obscure places possible. We'll see once I'm locked in somewhere else at higher levels.

That said: If someone starts pulling crap on me like what was happening in Mistmoore yesterday, dunno how long I'd really want to stick around. An epic'd rogue twink was going around ganking/KS'ing everyone.

Sektor
04-01-2014, 12:52 PM
why are you two responding to anything Azure posts?

pity reply x2

Champion_Standing
04-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Nobody wants to play with you guys. It takes a special kind of sociopath to fit in on R99, and you guys just aren't that common. Reading the ooc chat for a few minutes during peak hours is enough to make anyone with a functioning brain log out and go back to blue.

Sektor
04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Nobody wants to play with you guys. It takes a special kind of sociopath to fit in on R99, and you guys just aren't that common. Reading the ooc chat for a few minutes during peak hours is enough to make anyone with a functioning brain log out and go back to blue.

pity reply x3

Champion_Standing
04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
pity reply x3

x4

Sylexis
04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Because I have to be in an odd mood or have just finished rereading the dark tower series to prompt me to want to log in and play on red in some desolate corner of nowhere.

Barladore
04-01-2014, 01:05 PM
why are you two responding to anything Azure posts?

pity reply x5

Shiftin
04-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Because there are like 90 people there, but despite the population, both times i've gotten bored and given it a try, i got corpse camped within my first 2 hours by someone i didn't provoke, attack, or interact with in any way besides existing.

Tassador
04-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Welcome to red blue birds.

Ezpk
04-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Because, Life

meh

Squire
04-01-2014, 01:39 PM
pity reply

Rellapse40
04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
says the guy posting pictures with one

Vile
04-01-2014, 01:52 PM
XP is awful.

I prefer melees.. and I play too casually to find groups (that don't exist) to make it worth my time.

Forum Quest is goog

Fame
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
I love red.

Faerie
04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm a fickle gamer, and my interest in EQ waxes and wanes as it always has. At the end of April I'm gonna have a few weeks off from everything so I might play more then! But I'm also getting a new bike then so I might be living outside instead...

Galacticus
04-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Why I dont play/log in often:

1. Exp rate is too slow to level alone and too boring

2. No one to group with consistently

3. Don't want to spend 50+ hours doing something that took someone 10 hours a couple months ago to do. It might take 10 hours if I just wait another week, or another two weeks or etc...

4. Not sure what the future of the server is and if it will be for me.

5. My time is important to me and I try to spend it wisely.

Why I do play/sometimes:

1. Eq and Eq pvp is fun.

2. Funny ooc/forum quest trolls/community

3. Hoping something good happens soon from GMs

4. Nostalgia

5. Chat it up with friends who still play a lot.

billpaleq
04-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I use to play on Red when more people played, groups could be found, twink griefing was rare and less toxic /ooc. I then got to 50 on 2 toons and found 1 guild dominating so it was either join them or watch them zerg you. I then went back to blue

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
04-01-2014, 03:03 PM
My corpse rotted in January.

Pitborn
04-01-2014, 03:34 PM

I have a job ( unlike half of you ) , and the people who inhabit this board and server are generally worthless pieces of shit that i wouldn't help if they were dying in the street IRL.

That about covers it.

GnashingOfTeeth
04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Maybe ull think twice next time b4 attempting to exist

This is why your server is empty.
http://media.giphy.com/media/mqEIIGwEGMeI0/giphy.gif

Rec
04-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Because waiting for teams 99 is just as fun

Bazia
04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
afghanistan

AmukTZ
04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
XP is awful.

I prefer melees.. and I play too casually to find groups (that don't exist) to make it worth my time.

Forum Quest is goog

BigHurb
04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
rape alert

Gaffin 7.0
04-01-2014, 04:38 PM
lack of population = logging on and finding 0 pvp

better things to do after work than running 10 zones to find nobody

Herb9
04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Stomped competition out for over a year, back when there was actually competition that actually played live pvp servers. Current opposition leader is someone I 8-0'd before moving on. Not interested in competing with people I so easily X-0. May come back if there's any real challenge for Velious.

Kergan
04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
uh oh

Azure
04-01-2014, 06:30 PM
The people are speaking. Thread is fairly harmonious too. I feel you Vile. Thanks for keeping it real people. Lots of good feedback in this thread.

Layne
04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
high rate of exp or allow 2 boxing would bring the server to life.

Lurgort/Sseri
04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I stopped playing because...

Other, more important obligations. (College, going outdoors.)
The Exp nerf hinders my being able to log in for a couple of hours / wk. and actually see progress.
The friends I made during the summer of 2013 no longer play.
Reading thread after thread of promised big things and the pop still at 80 - 120.

These all just amount to a "This isn't worth logging onto."

Humerox
04-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Why don't you play here/log in every day?

Because I work 55-60 hours a week.

Tomeofdiscord
04-01-2014, 07:14 PM
I've been playing for a few days now. Enjoying it only been corpse camped twice. I do wish there were more ppl to group with though. Bards are a bitch to lvl till 2nd aoe....

Kergan
04-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Only corpse camped an average of once per day? PNP working as intended.

filthyphil
04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
My reasons:

The toxic community

The huge gap in gear between casuals vs hardcores

No steady sub-50 player base

Too many zones not enough players

Pumice

The toxic community

The toxic community

The toxic community

Marglar
04-01-2014, 09:39 PM
-not certain of the servers future. not investing time when I feel like it may go away.

-population too low to find groups. I have a ~30ish rogue there in pre-kunark gear, no real way to progress in a normal fashion. not interested in taking up the random power level / gearing offers.

-global ooc is a huge red flag to the type of people that play there. I feel like red was such a scummy environment for so long that only the most extreme survived and stuck around. not my kind of peoples. I've even watched some people live streams and the way they communicate to people is beyond pathetic. it's likely what drives most new people away.

-lots of previous bad experiences with red, pre-kunark. i'm too much of a nice guy, in victory and defeat.. I am friendly and cordial. I never got that same respect back. I value my free time immensely, and just can't stomach someone else wasting my time to get their rocks off griefing. PnP may have modified this, just couldn't deal with the global ooc when I was willing to give it another shot a couple of months ago. PnP or not, the global ooc is very revealing about the kind of people you'll be playing with.

mtb tripper
04-01-2014, 09:41 PM
ooc for the most part

mtb tripper
04-01-2014, 09:42 PM
of course here comes the, "turn off your ooc chat" comments, and to that I say fuck you!

Eliseus
04-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I played here for a few days, and I didn't enjoy it as much as blue, I can live with the zones being empty, but upon reading the rules and feeling that issues and camps would be resolved by fighting it out basically, was disgusted on the amount of people spamming grief garbage in /ooc and apparently everyone is reporting someone else for being killed on a server that is designed, what I thought, to pvp. Basically, the mentality of the player base on red seemed to be garbage, not the normal QQ you see in pvp environments, but just garbage all around. Would rather just flag myself on blue and hope to come across someone already flagged.

holsteinrx7
04-02-2014, 12:11 AM
too many pity replies

holsteinrx7
04-02-2014, 12:12 AM
nobody wants to do 1-50 with no xp modifier. most people cant camp decent gear alone. most people dont see it as a horizontal pvp scenario, but strictly vertical. too many farmed chrs will shit on new players.

i like what i heard about the other server having level caps on the server for a time. it allows everyone to get on the same page as far as gear and contested areas go.

also, teams99 need to come out, so i am assigned a team of allies and enemies. nobody wants to be alone in a effective wasteland with no allies.

khandman
04-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Only been killed once on red by a player, and that's because I had to leave urgently to do something else so ended up afk.

Not had anything bad happen to me, but the zones are quiet, my /ooc chat doesn't work for some reason, levelling solo is slow and can get quite boring, most new players that enter the zone either attack you or run away in avoidance so they don't get attacked.

I like PVP but not tried it in EQ yet. I look at it as more of a levelling challenge than find people and attack them. Just the server is so quiet.

Aenor
04-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Why don't you play here

[For those with learning disabilities, please skip straight to making your TLDR post]

Living out in the country temporarily and Windstream DSL blows... can't stay connected. So I will be continuing my teams prep in a month when I get a new spot closer to town.

HOWEVER, I think the current pop woes result from multiple factors, not just xp nerf and ban wave.

I quit live pre-Luclin. Classic and Kunark with a dab of Velious is the entirety of the game to me. Once you get past the excitement of Velious release, as far as I've always been concerned, that's the life cycle of a server.

So let's look at how Project 1999 handled the critical first two years of the PvP server's life cycle.

1. The server released and Rogean abandoned us like so many Oliver Twists to go play Star Wars. Please Rogean, may we have some more?

2. Nizzar, identified by Uthgaard as a known, previously-banned RMTer from blue, was allowed to lead a guild on Red.

3. Nizzar's guild then exploited dragons.

4. Another guild (unknown if led by by known RMTer) exploited dragons and Rogean magically appeared out of thin air to disband the guild and perma ban its leadership.

5. Please go back and review item (3.). Notice that there's nothing about any action being taken against the known RMTer's guild.

6. The known RMTer, with the competition's momentum thus killed, then proceeds to spend the next two years zerging all of the high end content, maintaining Nihilum's guild bank and selling the unclaimed spoils on various RMT web sites.

7. Two years go by with no significant change to this arrangement. Thousands of dollars in RMT transactions take place.

8. As Velious release approaches, staff announces plans for a teams server, but does not intend to maintain three separate servers on a long-term basis.

9. XP is nerfed and ban wave hits. After allowing Nizzar to dominate the server's economy through the entirety of the server's critical first two years, when interest is at its highest, Rogean suddenly decides to do something for server integrity.

I suppose there are several ways to look at this (and feel free to correct any factual discrepancies in my timeline). From the perspective of the current Red server, it's too little, too late. The crowd that always shows up for a new server launch is never coming back (they may come back for teams, but they're not coming back to the current server).

From the perspective of teams, this is great! With a level playing field on a new server, the crowd will be back. Players will be hesitant to participate in RMT or associate themselves with known RMTers, knowing that the staff is now taking action after allowing it to run rampant for two years.

TLDR:

Rogean seems to be paving the way either for a teams server where he will attempt to not repeat the mistakes that were made on Red99 or he is paving the way for phasing out PvP from P99 altogether. I won't be surprised in the least if, after the dust settles from Velious release, they announce that they have changed their minds about teams and it's not going to happen. The current PvP server would then become a ghost town and eventually taken offline.

So that's my theory. Nizzar may be banned but he's probably still living off the proceeds while those who kept his lights on lost every account he touched.

Musetii
04-02-2014, 03:37 AM
Nice post Aenor...everything is pretty sound there, no troll here.

Houndstooth316
04-02-2014, 04:11 AM
Dead server is dead. After playing on a wow pve server i never thought id ever chose a pve server over pvp. Pvp servers are better.

But

Mmos are fun because the people. No people = no fun = red99

Zoolander
04-02-2014, 04:57 AM
I think it's time to ban people like aenor for spewing false rmt accusations openly on the forums.

Fame
04-02-2014, 05:00 AM
option 1

Musetii
04-02-2014, 05:49 AM
That February 2014 join date tho

Squire
04-02-2014, 09:58 AM
[For those with learning disabilities, please skip straight to making your TLDR post]

Living out in the country temporarily and Windstream DSL blows... can't stay connected. So I will be continuing my teams prep in a month when I get a new spot closer to town.

HOWEVER, I think the current pop woes result from multiple factors, not just xp nerf and ban wave.

I quit live pre-Luclin. Classic and Kunark with a dab of Velious is the entirety of the game to me. Once you get past the excitement of Velious release, as far as I've always been concerned, that's the life cycle of a server.

So let's look at how Project 1999 handled the critical first two years of the PvP server's life cycle.

1. The server released and Rogean abandoned us like so many Oliver Twists to go play Star Wars. Please Rogean, may we have some more?

2. Nizzar, identified by Uthgaard as a known, previously-banned RMTer from blue, was allowed to lead a guild on Red.

3. Nizzar's guild then exploited dragons.

4. Another guild (unknown if led by by known RMTer) exploited dragons and Rogean magically appeared out of thin air to disband the guild and perma ban its leadership.

5. Please go back and review item (3.). Notice that there's nothing about any action being taken against the known RMTer's guild.

6. The known RMTer, with the competition's momentum thus killed, then proceeds to spend the next two years zerging all of the high end content, maintaining Nihilum's guild bank and selling the unclaimed spoils on various RMT web sites.

7. Two years go by with no significant change to this arrangement. Thousands of dollars in RMT transactions take place.

8. As Velious release approaches, staff announces plans for a teams server, but does not intend to maintain three separate servers on a long-term basis.

9. XP is nerfed and ban wave hits. After allowing Nizzar to dominate the server's economy through the entirety of the server's critical first two years, when interest is at its highest, Rogean suddenly decides to do something for server integrity.

I suppose there are several ways to look at this (and feel free to correct any factual discrepancies in my timeline). From the perspective of the current Red server, it's too little, too late. The crowd that always shows up for a new server launch is never coming back (they may come back for teams, but they're not coming back to the current server).

From the perspective of teams, this is great! With a level playing field on a new server, the crowd will be back. Players will be hesitant to participate in RMT or associate themselves with known RMTers, knowing that the staff is now taking action after allowing it to run rampant for two years.

TLDR:

Rogean seems to be paving the way either for a teams server where he will attempt to not repeat the mistakes that were made on Red99 or he is paving the way for phasing out PvP from P99 altogether. I won't be surprised in the least if, after the dust settles from Velious release, they announce that they have changed their minds about teams and it's not going to happen. The current PvP server would then become a ghost town and eventually taken offline.

So that's my theory. Nizzar may be banned but he's probably still living off the proceeds while those who kept his lights on lost every account he touched.

Great post.

heartbrand
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I have BiS items on my Warrior. I never paid a single dollar to anyone in this game for them. If there's massive RMT how come you don't see level 10's walking around in VP gear and trak BP's? Your theory is retarded.

Kergan
04-02-2014, 10:36 AM

I mean I think the troll has gone on long enough, you are aware Nizzar is not banned correct?

Sektor
04-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Nizzar isn't banned, but he should be, lucky for Nizzar, I was the main focus and not him so he gets away yet again.

mitic
04-02-2014, 10:37 AM
That February 2014 join date tho

yes?

Kergan
04-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Dude, come on. You were not the main focus. Nothing on red is the main focus of anything the staff does. Maybe if you hadn't been so ridiculous with your posts basically saying if you're quitting to hit you up because "you know why" they wouldn't have felt forced to do something.

Sektor
04-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Dude, come on. You were not the main focus. Nothing on red is the main focus of anything the staff does. Maybe if you hadn't been so ridiculous with your posts basically saying if you're quitting to hit you up because "you know why" they wouldn't have felt forced to do something.

Do you listen to yourself talk? I was apart of Nilly, and I was apart of what was going on behind the scenes with Nizzar.

Also me acting like I'm some rmt kingpin on the forums was for my entertainment.

Donator Status mother FUCKER!

Bazia
04-02-2014, 11:06 AM
get nizz banned then wtf

Kergan
04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Do you listen to yourself talk? I was apart of Nilly, and I was apart of what was going on behind the scenes with Nizzar.

Also me acting like I'm some rmt kingpin on the forums was for my entertainment.

Donator Status mother FUCKER!

I have no idea what Nizzar did/does/is doing. I just know the staff didn't ban him, so either there was no evidence or he didn't do it. Your posts came off somewhat provocative in my opinion which could be why you were targeted, but it's not like you were the only one. And for the record I could give zero shits if you blow your entire paycheck buying items from people as long as they dropped legitimately.

Zoolander
04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
get nizz banned then wtf

and for what exactly?

Nirgon
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
How'd "your dad" get those green scales there baron?

Faerie
04-02-2014, 12:15 PM
It was a mistake to bring out the server with "no training" as pretty much the only rule. We needed those bluebies who started up with us to stick around, but instead we bindcamped, CCed and harassed them back to blue.

BigHurb
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
only the worthless ones... Freddi stayed

Musetii
04-02-2014, 02:53 PM
yes?

Dance my puppet, dance!

daasgoot
04-02-2014, 05:57 PM
1) lonely.. oh so lonely.. on red
2) i have no pixels on red
3) get bored quickly sitting by myself killing merbs
4) ?
5) profit

Fame
04-02-2014, 07:38 PM
is 4 jerking off for tribute pictures?

Azure
04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Killingfields (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145780)

Happens a few times a week

You know... fame sorta has a small point... advertise for the players that like:

http://i.imgur.com/Eu5sJqHl.jpg

To bad - as it seems - most of us would rather like:

http://i.imgur.com/9k31OKwl.jpg (http://imgur.com/9k31OKw)

Above image's source: http://fan.theonering.net/~rolozo/cgi-bin/rolozo.cgi/collection/chapters-lotr-b2c03

But if you advertise for the Fellowship and they see the thunderdrome... they look at Gandalf and say... where the fuck are the eagles dawg?

And thanks again all your input... Would love to see more fellowship here. And not have such a lonely box.

dethbringre
04-03-2014, 08:40 PM
How to get more population:

Step 1: Boost group exp

Step 2: Remove PnP

Step 3: Rename server to Thunderdome (credit to Azure on this idea) ^

Beovvulf
04-03-2014, 09:22 PM
toxic community.

sprinkle16
04-03-2014, 09:51 PM
toxic community.

heartbrand
04-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Because I'm banned

Vadd
04-03-2014, 11:04 PM

1. Exp rate is too slow to level alone and too boring

2. No one to group with consistently

3. Don't want to spend 50+ hours doing something that took someone 10 hours a couple months ago to do. It might take 10 hours if I just wait another week, or another two weeks or etc...

4. Not sure what the future of the server is and if it will be for me.

5. My time is important to me and I try to spend it wisely.

Why I do play/sometimes:

1. Eq and Eq pvp is fun.

2. Funny ooc/forum quest trolls/community

3. Hoping something good happens soon from GMs

4. Nostalgia

5. Chat it up with friends who still play a lot.

saw server pop, thought exp was back... appears it isnt...

Auchae
04-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Don't play because of work and that' about it. Occasionally I'll log in and play Trisha, but it got rough as a warrior in the 30s. Was fun, tho. Forums still fun to read.

Sloth
04-04-2014, 10:59 PM
I don't play here because the population is so low and a good chunk of the community is toxic and really no fun to play with.

Aenor
04-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I think it's time to ban people like aenor for spewing false rmt accusations openly on the forums.

<------ not banned

Azure
04-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Can we get a staff to comment on this thread? I believe this is one of the best threads in a long time. The level of flame is low. The level of sanity high. The level of feedback appropriate.

What do you read here staff?