PDA

View Full Version : naming policy?

Tankdan
04-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words.

Above all else, you may not choose character or guild name which, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Project 1999 Customer Service Staff, is deemed to be offensive or improper.

What about female erudites with urban names? Almost all urban names like Laquisha and Lafonda are taken and being used by players. Are these allowed? What about Tyrone and Trayvon etc for males? Are black sounding names in general allowed? Say my erudite is named Bonisha, will they rename my character or delete it or not care?

SamwiseRed
04-01-2014, 09:26 AM
what racist about Tyrone or any of the other names you listed?

Barkingturtle
04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
This thread is more offensive than any of those names.

Daldaen
04-01-2014, 09:28 AM
what racist about Tyrone or any of the other names you listed?

This...

Names they are concerned about are like some dude I ran across in Blackburrow yesterday... "Cums"

They aren't concerned with names that you listed.

Asap
04-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Wow, the racism is screaming ITT

Shamalam
04-01-2014, 10:04 AM

TravZilla
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
I passed a guy in WW the other day named "Puppymassacre" or something similar, and that was far from the most ridiculous ones I've seen, so it doesn't appear they're too concerned.

kain200
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
I read through all the rules and regulations when I started here the other week. After reading the naming policy rules.. it sounded pretty serious. I thought "cool..no stupid names everywhere like every other mmo". Well..once I got in game and got around a bit, I discovered that the people in charge apparently don't give two craps about their naming policy. Or at least they don't have the time or manpower to enforce it. I see MORE ridiculous "against policy" names than I do honest fantasy style names. Go to EC tunnel...the majority of the people there have names that are clearly against the naming policy. I wouldn't take the risk of doing it because I wouldn't want to get in trouble one day if they decide to sweep through and clean it up...but honestly I don't think they enforce it at all.. or half the people i've seen so far would be nailed for it.

lecompte
04-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Names are fine until they get reported, then the naming policy is enforced in full. Just like it says in the rules.

baalzy
04-01-2014, 12:36 PM
^

And unless you're a repeat offender or using something especially egregious, the worst they'll do is just rename your character to Gibatak.

Baler
04-01-2014, 06:32 PM

mtb tripper
04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Are black sounding names in general allowed?

you've got to be shitting me

Erica
04-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Half the people on this server have names that violate the naming policy. It doesn't exactly seem enforced, I wouldn't worry about it.

Faerie
04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Half the people on this server have names that violate the naming policy. It doesn't exactly seem enforced, I wouldn't worry about it.

The GMs really need to start enforcing it. My immersion is so low atm :(

OP was seriously racist, though.

Erica
04-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Lets all petition every single name we see that violates the policy then. It should either be enforced and remain the naming policy, or it should be removed from the rules. :)

Leeyuuduu
04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Now really, what is the harm of an ogre named Littleblackkids Inmypants?

Faerie
04-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Lets all petition every single name we see that violates the policy then. It should either be enforced and remain the naming policy, or it should be removed from the rules. :)

A former GM, Amelinda, used to respond to petitions like this and change names. She was great. Sirken and Derubael are awesome, but for some reason I doubt they care about the naming policy... :(

Rika
04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
They do care, Sirken had one of the guys in my guild change his name last week as he had The-something- I forget what it was but he'd said about it in /gu. Their attention just needs to be drawn to it that's all ;)

Zoesha
04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
tyrone biggums <- classic

SamwiseRed
04-01-2014, 08:50 PM
changing my name would be worse than ban. not sure i could continue on if they were changed.

Tankdan
04-01-2014, 08:57 PM
you've got to be shitting me

No im not shitting you. A Female Erudite named Laquisha Bonisha is obviously a skinny white kid playing, and the rules aren't very specific, especially the second rule I linked. Have a nice day. We live in a politically correct world where liberals are offended by an NFL team being called the Redskins, I'd rather know beforehand.

Baler
04-01-2014, 09:02 PM
@Tankdan - the fact that you made a thread about this gives me the idea that you are just trying to get some shock laugh/anger out of people. If you're so worried about being 'politically correct' why are you trying to push the idea that you want to use a name that you think is somehow offensive or not 'politically correct'.

I think you should re-think your values in life and eat healthier.

Faerie
04-01-2014, 09:51 PM
changing my name would be worse than ban. not sure i could continue on if they were changed.

Classic naming policy was weird. Samwise should totally be allowed, but names like Fecal Matter bother the shit out of me.

PS: Laquisha sounds high fantasy imo :P

mtb tripper
04-01-2014, 10:11 PM
No im not shitting you. A Female Erudite named Laquisha Bonisha is obviously a skinny white kid playing, and the rules aren't very specific, especially the second rule I linked. Have a nice day. We live in a politically correct world where liberals are offended by an NFL team being called the Redskins, I'd rather know beforehand.

aren't you proud of yourself

Tankdan
04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
@Tankdan - the fact that you made a thread about this gives me the idea that you are just trying to get some shock laugh/anger out of people. If you're so worried about being 'politically correct'

If you can read, I said im worried on if its against the rules or not, i dont give a shit if its politically correct as long as it's allowed. Try harder.

Goofier
04-02-2014, 12:03 AM
So ghetto French IS allowed, or not?
And is that in game or real life?
Totally confused now.

TravZilla
04-02-2014, 10:27 AM
It's funny to me how so many people were up in arms after the recent RMT sweep, but few if any care about this. Now I realize, obviously, the 2 are apples and oranges, but a good half or more of the posts I read by people who were championing the bans were based simply on the basis of the "rules are rules, period". I've love to take a sneak peak and see how many of them had character names that violated the name policy. Rules are rules, unless you're the one who's breaking them, then they're just stupid and should be throw out/disregarded. And yes, if this is a forum for reporting naming violations, the Puppymassacre guy, who I saw again, in WW, should be changed. I get humor, but that one is ridiculous.

Mirana
04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
ITT: People that need to lighten up.

I lol'd

Zoolander
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
just dont name yourself taxi driver as a druid

just dont!

sanforce
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM

OP is a racist, permaban.

Frug
04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
OP is a racist, permaban.

Sanforce is a racist-ist, permaban.

Donruss
04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Speaking of Tyrone biggims and racism in general...

An original eq moment came rushing back to me when I was reading this. I am pretty sure I let me group wipe the first time chapelle's blind black white supremacist was on... I was just laughing too hard to heal.

myriverse
04-02-2014, 12:54 PM
No im not shitting you. A Female Erudite named Laquisha Bonisha is obviously a skinny white kid playing
Big deal if it's a white kid. If Little Whitey wants to fantasize about being a smart, elegant, woman of colour, who is anyone else to judge?

I gave my Erudite a Swahili name, btw.

Eunomia
04-02-2014, 01:10 PM
We change names that are deemed highly offensive, and we try to change them before level 15 to keep a player's reputation intact.

As far as stupid names, I consider them a big flashing neon sign above the character's head. If I change it to something normal, you may end up grouped with the person. It's still the same person playing the character. Would you like to group with someone named Nandkel and find out in the course of game play he's really a Dodohead?

I understand the "Immersion" factor. If you are good at it, you should be able to ignore these annoyances.

We are playing classic EQ, and this is a classic discussion:

http://www.angelfire.com/zine/surreality/eqnames.htm

Ever Quest Naming Convention: A Pathetic Display of Creativity? Or just plain stupid? You decide!

This has been crazy. The names that I've found while playing EQ have been outrageous and the list just kept growing and growing... For a while, I got a little self righteous and decided that I wanted to make a point about the VI naming policy-- Or as I've found, the lack thereof. I really don't know why they bother to stop people from naming themselves whatever they want since they do it anyway but, since there's a farce of a rule in place, it's only fitting that both it and the people who break it get a little publicity and some humorous description to help those of us with names that fit in the boundaries of the rule cope with those who don't.

daasgoot
04-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Are black people allowed to play a Human named Michael Smith?

sanforce
04-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Remember when duels used to broadcast to the entire server on live?

I remember a particular moment that resulted in 2 people getting banned on Bristlebane.

"Hitler has defeated Alotofjews in a duel to the death."

I chuckled a little, and cried on the inside.

Faerie
04-02-2014, 04:32 PM
As far as stupid names, I consider them a big flashing neon sign above the character's head. If I change it to something normal, you may end up grouped with the person. It's still the same person playing the character. Would you like to group with someone named Nandkel and find out in the course of game play he's really a Dodohead?

Better solution: permaban.

Ghatanothoa
04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Almost all urban names like Laquisha and Lafonda are taken and being used by players.

So you're mad because you couldn't get the name you wanted for your female Erudite :confused:

Tankdan's immersion: confirmed ruined.

Kevynne
04-03-2014, 03:31 AM
names i've seen go un-nerfed:
cuntshit (my noob rogue)
chesticals
cuhmshahts
dopeball
maryjanes
VEESHAAN

names i have seen nerfed:
Shantiqua (yes, erudite)
all of phsitin's last names
poppinmolly
innothule
jennah jamesun

Kevynne
04-03-2014, 03:37 AM
also left out for unnerfed:
friedchickeniqua (he self deleted tho in a rage quit iirc)
nikkiminaj
thebest
ahnt jemymah (also an erudite)
Phat Kids Pug McDonald's<GUILD NAME, doesnt exist anymore tho

and left out for nerfed
britni spears
treegrls wuncup

i believe it depends on which gm sees it,
what eunomia might find hilarious sirken might find offensive and such