PDA

View Full Version : Advice on class

s1akr
04-01-2014, 02:18 AM
Hi guys. Just got eq to work tonight, and I could use some advice on what class to start as my first toon on the server. I love grouping, but will most likely solo plenty. Was thinking about a troll shammy. What do u guys think?

Sajan
04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Shaman is a solid first class to play. However, being untwinked, the beginning will be slow and discouraging to some until you start getting your useful tools one by one like Cannibalize, Pet, etc. As a bonus, it will serve as a great farming class to build cash and items for future endeavors.

skorge
04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
shaman is a hard class to start untwinked, because you wont get your pet until 34, and they are pretty gear dependent, especially if you plan to melee...you will either be forced to group or rely on root rotting when you solo (and with a small mana pool it will be tough but doable); once you get 34+ it will be a bit easier....that said i rolled an ogre shaman on red during the first week it was launched and took him to 60 before i quit...you just need to have them skillz instead of picking a super easy solo class like a mage

some tips if you decided to go with shaman - WEAPON choice is HUGE for shaman as far as soloing/leveling. Basically, the better weapon you have, the faster you can kill stuff with...shaman can melee decently with buffs/slows and pet. I recommend going with a 2 hand blunt weapon...there are some you can quest for around level 20-25 if you don't have the funds. Gatorsmash Maul is one of these quests...this is the weapon I used to level up on Red with all the way until my 50's lol...on blue you can find weapons cheap. The best bang for your buck shaman weapon out there is the Posion Wind Censor (think it's valued at 1-2k). If you could find someone to hook ya up with one of these, you will be set.

shamans can solo great in the end, it will be a better long term investment vs a mage or necro, however keep in mind the HUGE number of alt/twink shamans on the server and having to compete against them for your big drops -- for example, last year (literally just 12 months ago) torpor was going for 50k...i heard its at 130k now, LOL

yea, good luck with that

snoopiku
04-01-2014, 10:17 AM
I have to agree that shaman is a tough first class. I started a Barb Shaman on this server when I started and it was a rough going. He's still stuck at 18 because I never went back to him. In order to grab a decent weapon early, make the run to Kithicor and see if there are any Ruined Maces rotting in there: http://wiki.project1999.com/Ruined_Battleworn_Morning_Star

Like skorge said, if you don't have the gear you are going to be forced to root rot a lot which is going to take time. But, if you are set a shaman, you can make it work.

freakyuno
04-01-2014, 10:33 AM
It should be mentioned, that a "barb shaman" has the difficulty of running all the way back to Halas all the time to train as well.

Supaskillz
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
I totally disagree with all of these people advising against shaman. Shamans are good group class and solid soloers. It's true early levels they don't solo quite as well as other classes, but unlike many melee classes they can still solo at all lvls and are actually just the best soloers at lvl 60. I can promise you will enjoy this server more if you group and don't try to solo your way to 60.

This idea of leveling a class you don't want to play in order to think the one you do is absurd to me. My first toon and main toon was/is a rogue. No twinks, grouped, made friends, had a blast.

lecompte
04-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I agree with Supas. Shammies are solid all the way - twinked or otherwise.

baalzy
04-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Barb shaman can do the nybright sisters camp (if its open) for lots of bronze weapons and can probably save up 1-1.5k to buy a poison wind censor by level 19. Additionally, make use of the fact that you can make alts if you decide to do ogre or troll. Make a wood elf noob then you can drop-transfer to to sell the bronze gear and then you can have someone help you xfer the plat later.

s1akr
04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Thank you all for the input. Looks like I'm going to take the challenge and go with shaman. I love to group. Main reason why I think eq is such a great game. The only reason why I might solo a bit is time constraint. But, I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Thanks again for the advise! Hope to see u guys in game.

lecompte
04-01-2014, 03:54 PM
See you in game and welcome again :)

Nocive
04-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Shaman is great but one thing thought, the serveur is full of them. You have many competition for group and guild later on. If that's not a prob go for it :D

Kellek
04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I've only played Shaman till 5, but they seem fun. Lots of buffs already heh. I'm still trying to decide who to main. All the classes are fun in their own ways. For me, though, it's seems to always come down to Bard. I love their uniqueness. It was my main on Live when I played on Emarr, though I think the highest he ever got was 65. I'm struggling between bard and ranger though, TBH.. though my druid is my highest still at 14, I wanted to get ports to make pp, but I'm floundering.

Laugher
04-02-2014, 10:20 AM
For shamans the choice of being an ogre for the stun resist is pretty popular, a friend of mine was initially an iksar up to 20 but began asking around and found ogre to be a pretty optimal choice. Guy ended up going 50+ on the ogre sham.

Frontal stun immunity is a bit more helpful high end than the regen bonus in the opinion of some, I tend to think that ogre is an all around solid melee range race, especially if you're going caster.

*edit* I went druid, made some money, geared out and then began a rogue haha. Benefits of a druid in points imo are:

1. As a first toon you don't need to get 60 on them for a druid to reach their full potential
2. Right about when you're getting bored or just passed the point of massive boredom your druid will probably be around 49 and therefore able to do everything they can for anyone <50 , give or take 50+ group buffs with a nub in your group
3. You'll always have a way to make money regardless of farming or gear

The only con to being a druid is unless you really love being one they don't get much better 50+ besides buffs for 50+. Even then everything they do as a healer or group class becomes easily replacable by a shaman or cleric (who either have ch or canni over you and your long med times and comparatively small heal)

Danth
04-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Frontal stun immunity is a bit more helpful high end than the regen bonus in the opinion of some, I tend to think that ogre is an all around solid melee range race, especially if you're going caster.

Bash resistance is nice, but with a caveat: It's really only a significant help for higher-end soloing. If you mostly group and raid, or even duo, you'll get more mileage out of Troll/Iksar regeneration.

Another drawback to the Shaman as a new player is that they have the most expensive spells of any class in the game. Affording all their high-level spells can be a real problem.

Danth

Supaskillz
04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Worrying about price of lvl 60 Spells seems silly. Sure torpor is expensive but it's more valuable than any item in the game in terms of utility. Plus if you join a raid guild you will get a copy just doing normal things and attending raids. Dragons drop 60 spells. That or man up and try to do crypt/emp groups and jugg groups in high 50s.

Racial abilities are useful but don't put too much stock in them. I personally would roll ogre, but you can make a case for troll/iksar. Pick a race that appeals to you for lore or style reasons and you will still e fine.

Danth
04-02-2014, 03:21 PM
You say it's silly to worry about high-end spells, and to an extent I agree, but the fact is I see people get discouraged and quit their characters because they can't afford their spells. For some folks it's a significant concern that affects the enjoyment of a class so it ought to be mentioned in advance.

Danth

Lyrith
04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
If this is your MAIN character and will be used for soloing camps later, Ogre is your BEST choice imho. There are some mobs in the game that ONLY a OGRE SHAMAN can solo. Granted you will have to have the 200k for the spells because of this servers ridiculous inflation. However that is just camping 20 pairs of JBoots these days once you are level 49. =D

Supaskillz
04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Fair enough, but this basically amounts to telling people do not roll shaman or any melee class bc they get much better if you get expensive drops. Should we avoid clerics pre velious also bc Donals BP would make you way better? How about Druids too bc what's a Druid without a manastone and robe of the spring?

It's not as though a shaman without torpor is totally useless and everyone is always after something in this game, might as well be a sweet spell.

Danth
04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
There are some mobs in the game that ONLY a OGRE SHAMAN can solo.

What, by chance? That sounds like a challenge.

EDIT: I agree Supaskillz, but some folks don't so all we can do is toss out the info and let 'em make their own judgment call.

Danth

Supaskillz
04-02-2014, 04:08 PM
What, by chance? That sounds like a challenge.

Danth

I have heard this also, but I would like someone to point me to the mobs who are such outstanding bashers that iksar, trolls and barbarians are totally helpless against them.

Lyrith
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
From what I understand:

Jugs in Seb
Lodizal in Velious

Not sure what else...

Kevynne
04-03-2014, 03:38 AM
ENC or bust
always need more enc,
my cleric is 54 and regularaly has had groups with NO CRACK AND NO MEZ SINCE DAY 1

Kevynne
04-03-2014, 04:14 AM
also end game wise,
every guild will take ENC and CLR... also ROG and WAR

Blade
04-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Let me sell you on Iksar Warriors man:

-Have you ever been playing (class here) and thought to yourself, "Man I really hate "pressing buttons" and having to "do things""?

Well you're in luck. If turning on auto attack, and managing two buttons ("Kick" and "Taunt") for the duration of the fight sounds like the action packed, dynamite infused gaming you're looking for, then Warriors are for you.

-Are you tired of having to save thousands of platinum for top end class specific gear in EC, so you can reach your max potential?

Fear not. Iksar Warrior doesn't wear any of it! While Ogres are saving every penny to afford their 50,000pp Cobalt Bracer (or however much), take solace knowing the most expensive shit you're probably going to be buying comes with a "1p per ac" pricetag.

-Have you ever been standing infront of a deadly area, about to cast invis, and feverishly hoping it doesn't fall off early as you're running through, resulting in your death? That sounds terrifying!

Iksar Warrior just says: "Fuck it, not going in there. Ever."

-Tail?

Tail.

- I hope this extensive class selection Guide has dispelled any myths / questions you had about the Iksar Warrior.