PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of rolling a wizard

raptorak
03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Is this a class that is viable and needed on this server? Would I be better of going mage? I used to have troll SK on teams back in the day but screw that with this XP rate. Otherwise, the extent of my experience is a 55 enc on blue but as you can imagine I'm pretty sick of casting clarity and haste on people and would rather just shove an ice comet in their face.

Can get my brother in on the red too, most likely a troll shaman so we will be partnering up and seeing how many other people we can wean off their Dota 2 addiction for some EQ goodness.

Got a 24 wiz on blue and it just doesn't feel right. Really want to know what these big sweeping changes are going to be for this server, though.

HippoNipple
03-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Is this a class that is viable and needed on this server? Would I be better of going mage? I used to have troll SK on teams back in the day but screw that with this XP rate. Otherwise, the extent of my experience is a 55 enc on blue but as you can imagine I'm pretty sick of casting clarity and haste on people and would rather just shove an ice comet in their face.

Can get my brother in on the red too, most likely a troll shaman so we will be partnering up and seeing how many other people we can wean off their Dota 2 addiction for some EQ goodness.

Got a 24 wiz on blue and it just doesn't feel right. Really want to know what these big sweeping changes are going to be for this server, though.

Shaman/wiz sounds fun to me.

Tecmos Deception
03-31-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sick of casting clarity and haste on people

:(

HippoNipple
03-31-2014, 03:40 PM
You don't really have to worry about casting Clarity/haste on people here. You won't see anyone around and if you do you will most likely be casting gate not clarity.

Obwin
03-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Wiz are fun, hard/slow at first but can solo alright and fun in pvp IMO. Every guild wants high lvl wizard too if that is a concern. No one wants to group with you but there is no one to group with as hippo noted so not a big consideration.

Not really a good class to duo with though (except bard probably). If you are going to be grouping a lot with your brother who is a sham i would not suggest wiz. Nearly every other class has more synergy with sham.

Potus
03-31-2014, 03:55 PM
My sham is nearly 39 and for the first time ever someone casted clarity on me.

raptorak
03-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Yeh definitely a lack of players, quite nice to play non-twinked though, actually feels like playing a game rather than grinding. Barely got to level 2 before the server packetlossed me into oblivion hehe.

raptorak
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Also thanks for the replies guys, maybe I can get him to roll a bard, he does love those trolls though :)

Vile
03-31-2014, 04:07 PM
you will get beat down by guilds with 5 t-staff monks

Kergan
03-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Ogre or iksar for shaman. Good class for sure but 1-30 is pretty slow even with a partner. I don't think a wizard makes a particularly good partner for them though, as the most effective strategies involve either slowing/tanking the mob (wizard doesn't help here) or root-rotting (wizard nukes break root, no DoTs). Honestly, I would make the argument that a wizard is the worst class to pair with a shaman, as the shaman strengths (DoTs, melee debuffs and melee buffs) are really opposite of what a wizard is all about (fast single target kills, quad kiting, staying out of melee range).

As for what is needed, melee dps and clerics are always in demand. I would not make my decision based on this though, as classes that excel at a single thing (dps, healing, tanking, CC) are typically the classes wanted for raiding but in general make the worst solo or duo classes because of their one dimensional nature. Shamans, druids and necros for example make excellent solo/duo characters but aside from a shaman or two for buffs they are not needed for end game raiding. Necro mana pumping will become more valuable in Velious with longer fights and the donal's BP nerf but it takes a special kind of person to do that (or be a mod rod dispensing mage) and enjoy it.

Potus
03-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Necro manapumping is never valuable you should always be nuking or dotting. Velious gets dotstacking and an increase in mob debuff slots so no no no no no twitch.

Rellapse40
03-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Necro manapumping is never valuable you should always be nuking or dotting. Velious gets dotstacking and an increase in mob debuff slots so no no no no no twitch.

dumb

Potus
03-31-2014, 11:02 PM
dumb

Yeah killing mobs quicker is stupid, let me just give my mana to one cleric so he can CH more. :rolleyes:

Lojik
03-31-2014, 11:13 PM

dotstack = luclin

dethbringre
03-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Necros are pretty tough in pvp. Get jboots and load dots up an keep out of melee range. As for healers, might have a bit of trouble.

Kergan
03-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Necros are garbage in PVP.

And Potus, Velious raiding is not the same as raiding 32k hp Kunark mobs. Fights last a long time, your CH rotation is vastly more important than the added dps a few necros would provide. Velious is the beginning of the EQ endurance fight era.

Potus
04-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Necros are garbage in PVP.

And Potus, Velious raiding is not the same as raiding 32k hp Kunark mobs. Fights last a long time, your CH rotation is vastly more important than the added dps a few necros would provide. Velious is the beginning of the EQ endurance fight era.

All the more reason to DoT. The mana it takes for me to give one cleric one complete heal I can cast five splurts. Considering how hard these monsters hit, the raid killing the monster sooner from my damage outweighs my feeble manadumping.

dotstack = luclin

Doh you're right. For some reason I thought it was September of 2001 and not 2002.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2002-2.html

Colgate
04-01-2014, 12:35 AM
necros are fine in pvp, just no skilled players here really

Potus
04-01-2014, 01:29 AM
Necros are pretty shitty post-50 pvp. Before that go hog wild, only a Shaman can really kill you.

Only so much you can do once everyone dispels your dots and ignores your gimpy pet (who on this server needs weapons still to DW)

Colgate
04-01-2014, 01:39 AM
people dont understand how to bury dots

necro is fine

Potus
04-01-2014, 01:44 AM
I guarantee you can bury a necromancer faster than his buried dots can kill you.

Let's say I stacked Splurt and Pyro behind your buffs. You have him at least at half HP from him standing still to cast those, not including the time it took him to cast stupid silly shit on you. He's dead. Just dispel that shit after he's a corpse and laugh.

Vile
04-01-2014, 01:46 AM
who said you were supposed to get hit when casting your dots tho bro

Potus
04-01-2014, 01:53 AM
who said you were supposed to get hit when casting your dots tho bro

The game. When you cast spells you have to stand still.

Vile
04-01-2014, 10:40 AM
The game. When you cast spells you have to stand still.

as knoxx of vztz would say... just play better

Nirgon
04-01-2014, 10:41 AM
You think you have to stand still to cast spells?

Got prof u wrong

Vile
04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
You think you have to stand still to cast spells?

Got prof u wrong

so wrong

Nirgon
04-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Start spell in corner

Run around

Return to corner

Spell finishes

This was classic and worked here

L2P?

LulzSect
04-01-2014, 10:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Uu961JV.jpg

Vile
04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Start spell in corner

Run around

Return to corner

Spell finishes

L2P?

:eek::eek:

kank
04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
L2P?

pls delete post :(

Galacticus
04-01-2014, 12:03 PM
The reason why necros suck on this server is because you can buy cure pots and pumice stones from a vendor.

In real eq pvp you can't just dispel shit unless you had farmed hours for an item or had the spell and it was memorized or you made some shaman rich and dropped shitloads of plat.

Here a Necro spends half his mana bar to dot you and for 20 plat you negate his actions.

Same thing goes for why shamans aren't as powerful as they should be.

At least shamans get torpor and can get near endless mana eventually at 60.

I have emptied entire level 50 mana bars on people and they cured every single dot.

They spent some plat to do it but I run oom and have to gate.

Burying dots is only effective vs someone who doesn't know how to set their buffs up correctly.

Galacticus
04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
people dont understand how to bury dots

necro is fine

Start spell in corner

Run around

Return to corner

Spell finishes

L2P?

Smart player stands where you were standing when you first casted to block you from completing your spell and you just look like a retard running around casting a spell you can't finish.

Nirgon
04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah cuz that's what you'd do OK

Have fun not standing in exactly the right spot it was started from and taking one to the face

Vile
04-01-2014, 01:54 PM
LoL

Nirgon
04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Uu961JV.jpg

We thought Prince was dead but he isn't.

Do not recommend char share.

Potus
04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Start spell in corner

Run around

Return to corner

Spell finishes

L2P?

Still get nailed at spot where you started to cast spell.

Really, you'll never win this battle because high level melee damage is waaaaay more than anything a Necro can put out. Deflux doesn't do more damage than a round of melee damage. Necro dots get cured/dispelled.

Where's my pumice stone/potions for your Tranquil Staff?

If any other noobs that have never played a Necro have advice, please keep posting, I'm laughing at all this shit.