PDA

View Full Version : Inexplicable urge to red amidst growing trepidation

Weltmacht
03-28-2014, 05:57 PM
I've become quite taken with the idea of playing here of late, but given what i've seen (as a fairly impartial and completely ignorant third party) over the past week or two, i can't help but question how prudent the decision to play here might be-- this game simply takes far too much time to accomplish anything, and i'd rather not end up among a dozen or two remaining players by the time i solo my cleric to sixty.

I'm really interested in group/guild pvp, as open world skirmishes over limited resources sound like a lot of fun. My question is, though, are those types of things the exception or the rule?

Regarding class/race: i'm assuming clerics are wanted/needed, but are there many opportunities to distinguish oneself from others through skilled play? I ask because i can't help but cringe at the thought of simply being one among many, which is how i feel on blue, however unfortunate/possibly irrational.

Assuming cleric, are there any racial standouts? I've always liked dark elves for their pve options (snare is something, after all). Gnomes for disease cloud neck sounds like a swell idea for pvp, too.

P.S. i am likely terrible at eq pvp but my proverbial body is ready-- to learn, if nothing else. Thanks for likely some small percentage of your replies!

Xoxo,
The Macht

HippoNipple
03-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Clerics are very much needed on this low population server, especially if Velious is ever created.

Dwarf for stats.

Halfling for good stats, hide/sneak ability and exp bonus.

Don't worry about the other stuff and just log in and give it a try. You won't have to invest much time before finding out if you like the server or not.

Bazia
03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
if u can avoid raging when ur getting repeatedly assraped by eq pvp vets on ur quest to 60 u will find red is much, much more dynamic and entertaining then blue

most just cant avoid the rage tho

Haynar
03-28-2014, 06:07 PM
It is the griefers that keep people away. Same ones that usually want a bigger population usually.

When I get on I want to play. I don't want to spend 3 hours trying to get back to my corpse repeatedly, while some neckbeard is screaming at his mother to make him a chickenpock pie, laughing his fat ass off, at the computer.

H

Bazia
03-28-2014, 06:10 PM
griefing is rare on red to be honest, and it's too easy to just keybind /who and when you see that familiar grief alt to just camp before he can find you

then wait 15 minutes come back and they are always gone

Humerox
03-28-2014, 06:11 PM
It is the griefers that keep people away. Same ones that usually want a bigger population usually.

When I get on I want to play. I don't want to spend 3 hours trying to get back to my corpse repeatedly, while some neckbeard is screaming at his mother to make him a chickenpock pie, laughing his fat ass off, at the computer.

H

Seen a big reduction in out-and-out griefing lately. Think the server is coming around a bit. They'll always be holdouts but they just make blues put their big girl panties on.

Colgate
03-28-2014, 06:17 PM
lot of people have a real distorted view on what grief is around here

Weltmacht
03-28-2014, 06:19 PM
There's a good chance i'm in the minority in this regard, but the prospect of being griefed doesn't really bother me too much. If the sun is shining and i'm on the receiving end of a forceful neckbeard graft i'm pretty sure it would be something akin to divine intervention, so no real worries there, you know? It just seems like morale-- or whatever the equivalent term is for an ostensibly declining server-- is quite low at this point, and i'd rather not invest so much time in a powder keg.

I'm also fairly confident that eq pvp and me shall be a splendid fit, even if the mechanics aren't what i'd hope (dark souls pvp 'tis not, i know this)-- i'm more interested in the *why*. As much fun as dark souls/fps are, neither is persistent and the fighting for/over something just doesn't exist. Maybe i'm bad at liking games if i need an explicit impetus, but there you have it.

I really appreciate the votes of confidence and helpful replies, by the way!

SamwiseRed
03-28-2014, 06:19 PM
in classic if my corpse was camped id just log in another toon. maybe 1 or 2 deaths max during cr for a year + and this was before the pnp. if you are dumb enuff to throw yourself at players naked, i dont know what to tell u.

Colgate
03-28-2014, 06:22 PM
cleric great choice though, but youre not gonna achieve superstar status among the masses

Fame
03-28-2014, 06:26 PM
pvp not greef

Weltmacht
03-28-2014, 06:28 PM
That's okay, i doubt there is much latent superstar left in me after all these years.

It just seems somewhat more pointless (than usual, i know this is everquest etc lol) to be one of a class in a sea of said class, you know? Like lordy there must be several small countries worth of shaman on blue, most immersion-slaying indeed.

Humerox
03-28-2014, 06:29 PM
in classic if my corpse was camped id just log in another toon. maybe 1 or 2 deaths max during cr for a year + and this was before the pnp. if you are dumb enuff to throw yourself at players naked, i dont know what to tell u.

PnP is the only thing the blues needed. We have it. There's no reason not to get your feet wet now if you're inclined to try red. Everyone needs clerics. Azrael even gives out cleric packages.

Tecmos Deception
03-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Op, 1 month ago I was in your shoes. It definitely sucks that the group pvp aspect of the game is a long ways off from level 1, but red is fun as a change of pace from blue and there is some hope on the horizon for changes to the server giving the 1-50 game some of the help it needs.

Fire up your cleric and start soloing (or grouping, though clerics can definitely let you solo to 50 on your own pace), just keep in mind this IS red... so if you go to unrest expect a twink to kill you, if you afk logged in expect to die, etc. But it really isn't the super inhospitable environment a lot of people think it is if you play smart... other than the low pop (which, again, hopefully will be turned around soon).

Fame
03-28-2014, 06:36 PM
play smart

Weltmacht
03-28-2014, 06:45 PM
That's actually the only thing i'm concerned about-- the pop. I fully expect to die, cr, possibly take somewhat longer to be slewn during successive pvp outings, etc. Learning mehanics and such is something i enjoy, and i appreciate working for what i have.

It's just... well, i have three chars 50+ on blue. I couldn't decide on a class there (probably because i realized their end game is all the same; namely, repeat the same set of actions against a completely undynamic a.i. for, uh, platinumses?), and i know how long it'll take to do again. So i suppose what i'm looking/hoping for is some sort of reassurance that these upcoming changes won't leave me as lonely and afraid in game as i am in irl as i attempt to negotiate my way through it.

If nothing else, this thread has been an existential slam-dunk. Not sure why everyone hates on these subforums!

Humerox
03-28-2014, 06:53 PM
That's actually the only thing i'm concerned about-- the pop. I fully expect to die, cr, possibly take somewhat longer to be slewn during successive pvp outings, etc. Learning mehanics and such is something i enjoy, and i appreciate working for what i have.

It's just... well, i have three chars 50+ on blue. I couldn't decide on a class there (probably because i realized their end game is all the same; namely, repeat the same set of actions against a completely undynamic a.i. for, uh, platinumses?), and i know how long it'll take to do again. So i suppose what i'm looking/hoping for is some sort of reassurance that these upcoming changes won't leave me as lonely and afraid in game as i am in irl as i attempt to negotiate my way through it.

If nothing else, this thread has been an existential slam-dunk. Not sure why everyone hates on these subforums!

I think you'll fit right into red, bro. Personally I'd roll dwarf or halfling for cleric.

Tecmos Deception
03-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Not sure why everyone hates on these subforums!

We've been fortunate so far not have freez, chewie, relapse, lulz, or a handful of other people post in this thread yet.

Low pop sucks, but ooc and a guild for chat can both help pass the time. Try to strike up conversations with everyone you see in the guilds you think you might be interested in joining sooner or later. The ones that are fun to chat with? Throw them on your friends list, learn their alts names, etc. Good way to pass the time, chatting it up with the people you find who aren't ridiculously annoying!

Fame
03-28-2014, 08:24 PM
People tend to hate what they do not understand.

Kergan
03-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Low pop has some advantages honestly. Pretty much every 1-50 camp is open 24/7, if you can handle soloing it.

Azure
03-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Female DE cleric the only way to go really I played a high elf with max wis so I could neglect wis and wear pvp and +Hp gear and it just wasn't the same.

Rellapse36
03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EHjRq7k.jpg

Squire
03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
How page 3 looks to most people so far.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/24fz5fr.jpg

Rellapse36
03-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Squire defeated in forumquest

+1 to my rep

Thanks

dethbringre
03-28-2014, 09:43 PM
lot of people have a real distorted view on what grief is around here

I agree with this. It's not griefing to kill someone a few times.

Drakaris
03-29-2014, 02:24 AM
I agree with this. It's not griefing to kill someone a few times.

The biggest issue is not being killed, but by being killed when all you want to do is exp to be more competitive and get cut down constantly. Having no groups for exp will also wear you down.

Expect to make friends with neutral people in your level range and group with them whenever it is mutually beneficial.