PDA

View Full Version : Monks - OP with Velious?

Lron
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Monks were by far the most OP class during the Velious expansion on live.

Will this be the case on P99 or are there differentiating factors that will make things different here?

I am stuck between making an SK or a Monk for my main and only toon i will play.

I lean towards the more powerful class.

drktmplr12
03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Lron you will always talk about playing but never actually play.

SKs and Monks are both very powerful, i think moreso the monk esp since they can get close to rogue dps with triple attack. SKs are great and all, but they just can't put out the damage like a monk. They got better with AAs, but we know that isn't happening here.

rollin5k
03-25-2014, 02:46 PM
How could anyone know if there are differentiating factors its not even done yet, deep thoughts tho

Lron
03-25-2014, 02:51 PM
??? Velious Is in beta....how is my question out of the scope of being reasonable?

I also dont play here yet so I dont know if there are any skills/abilities unique to P99 that someone could shed some light on that would help answer my question.

tl;dr - Go fuck yourself rollin

Alarti0001
03-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Lron you will always talk about playing but never actually play.

SKs and Monks are both very powerful, i think moreso the monk esp since they can get close to rogue dps with triple attack. SKs are great and all, but they just can't put out the damage like a monk. They got better with AAs, but we know that isn't happening here.

Top geared monks > top geared rogues for dps in Velious. At least they were... wonder how it will play out here.

drktmplr12
03-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Top geared monks > top geared rogues for dps in Velious. At least they were... wonder how it will play out here.

am i mistaken in stating that rogues really get no upgrade to ragebringer? i recall this being the case for some reason.

edit: upgrade for main hand i mean.

Lron
03-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Well geared Monks could solo better than any class during velious...thats how OP they were.

I doubt it will be that extreme here but who knows.

Sarajo
03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Lron - The most Famous player on EQ MAC?
EQMAC server is being shut down...
Lron The Server Legend - Convince me to play Red!
IB's new guild on EQMAC will be forced off the server by me!
Lron The Server Legend - Eq Mac's most Famous Player...If these Questions aren't answered, I will not play here.
Lron The Server Legend - Convince him to play. I am the Most Famous Player.
Lron The Server Legend - Banned from EQmac?! None of you seem witty! Planeofmischief.com Calls Lron the greatest everquest player of all times. Win a date with Lron. No one cares about FE/TMO drama - Lron The Server Legend coming to Red! TMO/FE - Duel for Raid Targets.I will force TMO off the server!
leave TMO alone.

Guide Lron.

Official Petition: Lron for Server Guide.

I dont buy the smarmy Altruistic sentiment Gm's give for "Volunteering" their time. I can purify this server.
Lron requesting Vent Access !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Im in Mensa)
Im not coming to Red till the Population Grows,
How would i be treated on Red?
Should I lead the next #1 Guild on Blue? <Scientology> Incoming #1 PvP/Rading Guild!
Will TMO immediately invite me when i log in?
Official Welcoming Ceremony if i decide to log in this week?
Why do i even post here?
2 years on the forums, not 1 date - Fuck this forum
I might leave R&F forever. Beg me to stay on these shitty forums or im gone.
Am I the toughest guy irl on P99?
Waking the sleeper on EQmac in 2 hours...
Waking the sleeper on EQmac in 2 hours......

Me waking Karafrym (The SIeeper) on EQmac !

Would you be my friend irl?

Lron RnF community relations improving. Its time time to accept me P99. Im tired of the Abuse, it stops today or im leaving P99.
How do you get to Velious on day 1? I forget
Who will be the main "pullers" in Velious? Monks - OP with Velious?

Which guilds would immediately invite me?
-Excerpt from my greatest literary masterpiece of the 21st century. I am the voice of a generation, a mastermind of prose.

Enxienty
03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah but this is monks decked out in ToV gear and what not , which is going to be very competitive loot since a lot of it is all/all

Spitty
03-25-2014, 03:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

I'm just going to leave this here. Not related whatsoever.

Lron
03-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Stop being passive aggressive spitty.

drktmplr12
03-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah but this is monks decked out in ToV gear and what not , which is going to be very competitive loot since a lot of it is all/all

agree. lets not forget about primal weapons! drool

Chronoburn
03-25-2014, 04:38 PM
am i mistaken in stating that rogues really get no upgrade to ragebringer? i recall this being the case for some reason.

BIS Rogue mainhand: http://wiki.project1999.com/Mrylokar%60s_Dagger_of_Vengeance
+ Primal spear in offhand = good deeps

Supaskillz
03-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Any fraps showing monks out dps'n me is all lies. Lies! Next you will tell me they get sneak too

Chronoburn
03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't recall if monks actually out DPS'd rogues back when but they had to be close with the weapons available to them...

Gharn's Rock of Smashing + Primal Velium Fist Wraps

or

Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment

Raavak
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Monks are pretty decent tanks in Velious too. I remember hearing of monks tanking NToV...

Loke
03-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Rogues getting out DPS'd by monks is nothing new on P99. Early Kunark IBs monks routinely out DPS'd the rogues. The 2HB dmg bonus adjustment changed that a bit, but even now I don't think I'd have to go too far back to find a parse with Perun or Hoku on top. DPS isn't what makes monks OP in velious. Whether or not monks will be the gods they were on live will depend a lot on how defensive skills and AC are calculated. Monks avoidance and mitigation made them great in velious, but being able to break 1400 AC made them ridiculous.

But yea, not sure why you guys are comparing class DPS, because monks were always DPS powerhouses - what made them different in velious was their ability to tank.

Numbers_
03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Well geared Monks could solo better than any class during velious...thats how OP they were.

I doubt it will be that extreme here but who knows.

Solo better how? Faster experience or killing big named mobs? I wasn't around for Velious (quit during kunark). I may have to keep playing my 48 monk if this is true.

I'm loving my enchanter, but I keep reading that they are gimped in Velious. :(

HeallunRumblebelly
03-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Rogues getting out DPS'd by monks is nothing new on P99. Early Kunark IBs monks routinely out DPS'd the rogues. The 2HB dmg bonus adjustment changed that a bit, but even now I don't think I'd have to go too far back to find a parse with Perun or Hoku on top. DPS isn't what makes monks OP in velious. Whether or not monks will be the gods they were on live will depend a lot on how defensive skills and AC are calculated. Monks avoidance and mitigation made them great in velious, but being able to break 1400 AC made them ridiculous.

But yea, not sure why you guys are comparing class DPS, because monks were always DPS powerhouses - what made them different in velious was their ability to tank.

Gaining triple attack in velious is pretty big. Rogues still out parse by a bit (maybe 15-20% margins) but if AC / skills are appropriate monk tanking is god tier once they have the gear :P

Taffan
03-25-2014, 06:42 PM

http://wiki.project1999.com/Mrylokar%60s_Dagger_of_Vengeance

http://wiki.project1999.com/Massive_Heartwood_Thorn

ibso
03-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Don't worry guys, half the monks on the server just got banned anyways. ;)

Lyrith
03-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Don't worry guys, half the monks on the server just got banned anyways. ;)

+1 lol

2 Most twinked classes: Monk / Shaman

Nilasbik
03-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Until they actually fix ac on this server monks wont be the same tanks they were during velious unfortunately.

JayN
03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Monk are already op here; they are and will be kings of velious!

Raavak
03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Until they actually fix ac on this server monks wont be the same tanks they were during velious unfortunately.
Didn't think of that. Its probably true.

Meiva
03-26-2014, 05:39 PM

What is the context of your sig gif? It reminds me so much of Baal from Diablo 2 LOD. My favorite character! "ENOUGH!!!" ~ Baal

grenravenlock
03-26-2014, 07:01 PM
I could of swore rogues and rangers were at the top of the food chain when fully decked out in the best gear from velious. But I could be wrong.

Taffan
03-26-2014, 08:08 PM
I could of swore rogues and rangers were at the top of the food chain when fully decked out in the best gear from velious. But I could be wrong.

Sounds about right - just a lot of Monk fanboys on this server.