PDA

View Full Version : P99 Staff Doing God's Work (400 accounts Banned)

Lron
03-23-2014, 06:52 AM
As an insanely popular member of the P99 forum community and future P99 player, i want to thank all of the P99 staff for having the balls to stick to their guns and ban over 400 accounts for RMT and other rules violations.

This does nothing but ensure the health of this server and its community for years to come and builds consumer confidence in this server for current and future players even if there is a slight population dip from the mass bans.

Cheers to the P99 Staff.

Lanzellot
03-23-2014, 07:05 AM
/applaud too

thx staff to get the server free from the cheat plague

Sirken
03-23-2014, 07:44 AM
http://cdn1337.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/blurb_jail_20100722.jpg

Mezzmur
03-23-2014, 07:48 AM
http://cdn1337.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/blurb_jail_20100722.jpg

o.O Works now, what a weird website.

myriverse
03-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Merry Hammertime, Everybody!

Swish
03-23-2014, 08:34 AM
ban over 400 accounts for RMT and other rules violations.

http://i.imgur.com/Q83zXQt.gif

:eek:

prindan
03-23-2014, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to take a minute and comment on the banning of the RMT accounts. I was one of the people who purchased plat to buy items for my first character on P99.

I wanted to explain why someone new to P99 might purchase platinum at this point in the server's history.

Have the ability for a new player to level quickly enough to reach the level range of the bulk of players in time for Velious
To help veteran players of classic EQ entice newbie friends to the Everquest world by making the transition a bit more friendly in the beginning through a few fun upgrades
People new to the server within the last 3 months wouldn't have seen the initial warning message from the admins

I am aware that a lot of players despise platinum sales and believe it ruins the economy, but I played the original Everquest for many years (99-2007) and when I returned to Everquest in 2013 the economy was still going strong. People don't tend to buy platinum very many times. If you want a larger player base so that the game can be enjoyed more thoroughly by everyone, I think sending those 400 accounts a one-time warning would have served the community in a better capacity.

I honestly didn't think buying some plat to start out was such a huge deal, now I know, but it is too late as I don't have the same time to invest in EQ as I once did before I had the responsibilities of an adult.

I know the people who pay for the server and spend their time maintaining it were insulted by the plat seller saying they have never had anyone banned before, I can understand that being insulting, but "silently tracking" the accounts seems like a bad strategy. Why not just stop it immediately so new players could see how passionate the team feels about it?

Thanks for the short time in the somewhat classic EQ. I look forward to the flames tickling my ass cheeks on my way out.

-Prindan

Swish
03-23-2014, 08:46 AM
I just wanted to take a minute and comment on the banning of the RMT accounts. I was one of the people who purchased plat to buy items for my first character on P99.

...I think sending those 400 accounts a one-time warning would have served the community in a better capacity.

So everyone's allowed to RMT once? Naw, there's no tightrope to walk there. People go from rags to riches in this game all the time without the need to buy plat...there's just a portion of the players who don't want to put the time in.

I've been here over 3 years and I still don't have more than 10k on my mule at any time, I keep finding ways to spend it :rolleyes:

If you want to get rich during Kunark, get a character into the 50s, hit Sebilis, profit.

Rhambuk
03-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I don't want ass prints on our door

Keriath
03-23-2014, 08:55 AM
can I has there stuffs?

Bardalicious
03-23-2014, 09:03 AM
I wanted to explain why someone new to P99 might purchase platinum at this point in the server's history.

Population has been at an all time high. It's easier to get groups for xp and to camp items yourself. Not to mention low-tier starter gear being readily available to buy for those ambitious enough to farm bone chips, cb belts or a number of other avenues to generate plat.

Some of us started here when the server was new. When grouping was overall harder because there weren't fungi and epic twinks running around almost every night in crushbone, unrest, guk etc to group with. We managed just fine without buying game items for rl currency. So... wut? :confused:

Swish
03-23-2014, 09:04 AM
azure sleeves and serpentine bracers used to be very popular for new players (cheap and better than cloth etc), I've got a serp bracer that hasn't moved off my mule for a couple of weeks :/

Rhambuk
03-23-2014, 09:05 AM
azure sleeves and serpentine bracers used to be very popular for new players (cheap and better than cloth etc), I've got a serp bracer that hasn't moved off my mule for a couple of weeks :/

I remember people used to buy fine steel and bronze, people don't even loot that stuff here.

if it's not BiS its just not worth equipping apparently

Castigate
03-23-2014, 09:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCiJwHqtugQ

Ravager
03-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Golden Jaded is better. Also, the gif in your sig just mezzed me for a minute before I realized it.

Gadwen
03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
We should set up a memorial thread for any missing super twinks.

Keriath
03-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Seriously though, good work gentlemen. Thanks for the dedication.

Blasted
03-23-2014, 09:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCiJwHqtugQ

rofl

Aeaolena
03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
http://imgur.com/6accX7A.gif

isiah
03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm assuming that innocent people sometimes get caught up in such mass bans?

Swish
03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
http://imgur.com/6accX7A.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/bravo.gif

Lojik
03-23-2014, 10:22 AM

Everyone in shawshank is innocent

Champion_Standing
03-23-2014, 10:22 AM
400 buyers and not one seller banned, great job DEA...i mean P99 Staff!

Swish
03-23-2014, 10:23 AM

If you asked them I'd say about 300/400 would protest their innocence despite gathered evidence.

Asap
03-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Have the ability for a new player to level quickly enough to reach the level range of the bulk of players in time for Velious
To help veteran players of classic EQ entice newbie friends to the Everquest world by making the transition a bit more friendly in the beginning through a few fun upgrades
People new to the server within the last 3 months wouldn't have seen the initial warning message from the admins

I am aware that a lot of players despise platinum sales and believe it ruins the economy, but I played the original Everquest for many years (99-2007) and when I returned to Everquest in 2013 the economy was still going strong. People don't tend to buy platinum very many times. If you want a larger player base so that the game can be enjoyed more thoroughly by everyone, I think sending those 400 accounts a one-time warning would have served the community in a better capacity.

I honestly didn't think buying some plat to start out was such a huge deal, now I know, but it is too late as I don't have the same time to invest in EQ as I once did before I had the responsibilities of an adult.

I know the people who pay for the server and spend their time maintaining it were insulted by the plat seller saying they have never had anyone banned before, I can understand that being insulting, but "silently tracking" the accounts seems like a bad strategy. Why not just stop it immediately so new players could see how passionate the team feels about it?

Thanks for the short time in the somewhat classic EQ. I look forward to the flames tickling my ass cheeks on my way out.

-Prindan

No flame, thanks for being upfront and honest about it. You are actually probably the first to publicly admit buying platinum, and I respect that.

Unfortunately, you broke a rule and must suffer the consequences. For those of you reading this, if you feel the way this person did, don't be afraid to ask for some starter gear. I have tons of low to lid level items id be happy to give a new player.

Lojik
03-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Should have played on red where basically open admission of RMT goes unpunished

I figured two thirds of these 400 were $ektor$ accounts...or was this only blue?

isiah
03-23-2014, 10:37 AM
I would like to bump this thread in the name of justice! The kind GMs worked fast to assist me with the wrongful ban.

Yes, every man is innocent at Shawshank, especially Andy.

Be well and blessings to the other innocents that got caught up!

Vilot
03-23-2014, 10:46 AM
well I for one did nothing wrong yet I was band this happened
I sel proxys spots on my wiz in chardoc and folks will pay me on my mule in ec on there mule how was I to know they would accuse me of a violation I did nothing wrong yet I was band

rollin5k
03-23-2014, 10:54 AM
So awesome, I'm fully supportive of instantly and permanently banning all persons related to rmt. It keeps the game fun. Thanks guys

SamwiseRed
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I sel proxys spots on my wiz in chardoc and folks will pay me on my mule in ec on there mule how was I to know they would accuse me of a violation I did nothing wrong yet I was band

what kind of band were u in?

myriverse
03-23-2014, 10:56 AM
It was by no means an "initial warning." It was just the most recent big one.

"silently tracking" the accounts seems like a bad strategy. Why not just stop it immediately so new players could see how passionate the team feels about it?
Seems like it's a great strategy, and I really can't see how someone could think the team wasn't passionate about this before they even started.

But anyway... buh bye.

Vilot
03-23-2014, 10:58 AM
I am aslo but I did not buy plat

Nineran
03-23-2014, 11:08 AM
This server is about the "whole" EQ experience. Not just the end-game EQ experience. I realize is takes TONS of time to get to the end-game experience, and many of us no longer have that time in our lives, but there is still a fantastic experience to be had at the early stages of the game. I had so much fun coming up through Crushbone, Unrest, Upper Guk.

I know its hard to wait through all of that, especially when you are back to good old EQ in which leveling is so much harder then the average game today. But it is part of the game, there is not an option to just skip that part via purchasing in game items to speed you through that stage.

I do support the GMs decision.

I always hate to see the server lose people though. I realize many of the RMTers were just toxic, and thank god they are gone. I do feel bad for the people though that showed up on the server. Realized how far behind they were, and how inflated all the prices are due to how long the server has been running, and paniced, and made a bad decision.

I wish there was a way we could Just wipe everything off a character, and let them keep their exp, but be naked and penniless. But we would have to know which ones were not toxic, and realize how much it harms the P99 economy.

There is no way to know. The GMs made the right decision to just take a hard stance on it and say it is not tolerated at all.

Nineran
03-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Just after a posted a noticed a perfect example of who needs to be banned. Neem, trying to stir up drama on his way out.

I am sure they missed tons of people in the first waves because there is plenty of tracking to do to determine who is truly RMTing, and who just got some generous donations or loans. Its not as simple as just seeing a high value item go in a trade window without compensation. Its looking for a trend over time.

neem
03-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Just after a posted a noticed a perfect example of who needs to be banned. Neem, trying to stir up drama on his way out.

lol i'm not stirring anything, just wait till more people post...

Nineran
03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
lol i'm not stirring anything, just wait till more people post...

We await in anticipation of this conspiracy theory to come to fruition... I am sure the GMs are terribly concerned about it.

Champion_Standing
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM

I am sure they missed tons of people in the first waves because there is plenty of tracking to do to determine who is truly RMTing, and who just got some generous donations or loans. Its not as simple as just seeing a high value item go in a trade window without compensation. Its looking for a trend over time.

lol no it isn't, its about finding the sellers characters, then letting him sell for 6 months and banning everyone that bought plat from him. And in a week when a dozen more accounts pop up from the seller full the brim with duped items and plat they will watch who they sell to for another 3-6 months then ban all the buyers again.

Babayaaga
03-23-2014, 11:27 AM

The only thing I can think of in this case is that there may have been logs that demonstrate that you knowingly sold a proxy to someone who in some way indicated where their plat was coming from (RMT). This would be guilty by association. Perhaps you don't remember it, or didn't comprehend what someone was admitting to you at the time, but the result is the same.

That said, sellers of anything need to be careful when conducting transactions. If your gut calls into question the source of a buyer's money... perhaps it's better to hang on to your goods until a more trustworthy consumer comes along.

Faerie
03-23-2014, 11:32 AM
It would be good to know wtf is going on with red. We've remained downgraded to "preferred" status and the major changes (such as xp rate) are never included in the patch notes.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
The only thing I can think of in this case is that there may have been logs that demonstrate that you knowingly sold a proxy to someone who in some way indicated where their plat was coming from (RMT). This would be guilty by association. Perhaps you don't remember it, or didn't comprehend what someone was admitting to you at the time, but the result is the same.

That said, sellers of anything need to be careful when conducting transactions. If your gut calls into question the source of a buyer's money... perhaps it's better to hang on to your goods until a more trustworthy consumer comes along.

I would think there is a more compelling reason for banning than "he accepted money from someone who RMT'd". With that said, who couldn't see the Chardok scene turning into an RMT/boxing paradise from a mile away?

Champion_Standing
03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
It would be good to know wtf is going on with red. We've remained downgraded to "preferred" status and the major changes (such as xp rate) are never included in the patch notes.

EQ emu isn't going to keep a server with less than 100 average players as legends. EZ server > red.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Probably better that way - let's the tension build and gives you a compelling reason to pvp someone else.

Swish
03-23-2014, 11:36 AM
THF with its 12-18 boxers tho?

Faerie
03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
EQ emu isn't going to keep a server with less than 100 average players as legends. EZ server > red.

Why not? For a while the server basically 30 Nihilum logging in when dragons popped and logging out again, and we were never downgraded then.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Why not? For a while the server basically 30 Nihilum logging in when dragons popped and logging out again, and we were never downgraded then.

Probably not coded at all just someone logging in one day and saying "I should clean this up so the server title actually means something."

Shouldn't be any tears shed over it anyways

kumon
03-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Whom do we contact about an account being wrongfully banned? I have only gotten plat from one person on P99 (a real life friend that wanted me to play) and I never payed him anything. He just gave me plat and said have fun or lvl up and be ready for velious. I think some of these bans if they are like mine are out of hand. Banned for what a bro giving u some plat to keep going or to motivate you to stay here. I mean seriously if u want I can send pics of him in front of his char logged in and myself. A little pissed off isn't the word to explain stuff like this guilty until proven innocent? the only thing I have ever bought this RL friend is a few beers and I don't think they had any bearing on him giving me 5-10k plat, ya I threaten to quit and he would give me plat its a vicious circle.
Anyway whom do I contact to get this lifted or whatever

Swish
03-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Whom do we contact about an account being wrongfully banned? I have only gotten plat from one person on P99 (a real life friend that wanted me to play) and I never payed him anything. He just gave me plat and said have fun or lvl up and be ready for velious. I think some of these bans if they are like mine are out of hand. Banned for what a bro giving u some plat to keep going or to motivate you to stay here. I mean seriously if u want I can send pics of him in front of his char logged in and myself. A little pissed off isn't the word to explain stuff like this guilty until proven innocent? the only thing I have ever bought this RL friend is a few beers and I don't think they had any bearing on him giving me 5-10k plat, ya I threaten to quit and he would give me plat its a vicious circle.

Best thing to do is make a post in the petition forum.

Faerie
03-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Probably not coded at all just someone logging in one day and saying "I should clean this up so the server title actually means something."

It just feels like an expression of Rogean's dislike for us, and it might be telling for the future of my beloved server. I would love to praise him for the great work banning RMTers, but I've been hopeful that the new patch would see us back in Legends.

If the low population is the reason for the downgrade, it would be nice to have this verified at least.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Submit a petition in the petition thread and then take a few breaths. Here is how I would do it if I were you:

1) write long winded, angry petition thread.
2) delete it all.
3) rewrite petition thread with carefully worded sentences and relevant information.
4) ????????
5) profit!

Babayaaga
03-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I would think there is a more compelling reason for banning than "he accepted money from someone who RMT'd". With that said, who couldn't see the Chardok scene turning into an RMT/boxing paradise from a mile away?

Note that I said "knowingly" accepted plat from someone who RMT'd (logs). There is a difference.

Bardalicious
03-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Just keep making angry posts in random threads in general chat. I hear that expedites your CSR experience. :rolleyes:

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 11:50 AM
It just feels like an expression of Rogean's dislike for us, and it might be telling for the future of my beloved server. I would love to praise him for the great work banning RMTers, but I've been hopeful that the new patch would see us back in Legends.

If the low population is the reason for the downgrade, it would be nice to have this verified at least.

I wouldn't read into it in terms of server direction - the server is always moving forward in one way or another. If there's anything I've seen from Rogean and co. That's remained consistent is that the team is very much compartmentalized in that whoever is in charge of pvp has been rather silent on changes. Even recently (don't remember who's post) Rogean has come out saying he is not in charge of pvp server.

I'm more than willing to bet that at the time the server was changed to preferred it didn't meet the minimum pop requirements for Legends.

neem
03-23-2014, 11:50 AM

we're banned man, just get over it lol..

when you buy RMT the seller always says something like "have fun with the plat, don't forget to pay me back"

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Note that I said "knowingly" accepted plat from someone who RMT'd (logs). There is a difference.

My bad pal. Misread that

Champion_Standing
03-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Your second comment was that people need to be careful when selling, implying that they could get banned for having RMTed plat on them regardless of their knowledge of it.

Which won't happen.

Faerie
03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Well, good job devs/GMs. Banning RMTers is certainly always work worth doing.

Swish
03-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Banned folks...got an axe to grind? Wanna hit someone? Try the red server, XP bonus is back on ;)

Faerie
03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Red server doesn't want banned bluebies :S

Champion_Standing
03-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Red server doesn't want banned bluebies :S

aw come on now, red wants everyone they can get so that they can be promptly griefed off the server.

Babayaaga
03-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Your second comment was that people need to be careful when selling, implying that they could get banned for having RMTed plat on them regardless of their knowledge of it.

Which won't happen.

Logically speaking...

Fact: Everything is logged. Your chats, your item transfers, your actions. I'm not going to speculate on what systems the server staff have in place to hunt down RMT'ers, but I have enough of an understanding of how systems work to know that the evidence is there if you know what to look for.

When someone sells an item or service, they're paid with plat that is obtained either legally or illegally (RMT). The seller would in most situations have no clue if the buyer's plat is legal or legal unless the buyer in some way indicates where their plat has come from.

Example:

Buyer zones into Chardok.

Buyer asks in OOC "WTB Proxy".

Seller asks, "How much are you paying?"

Buyer responds, "I just bought 10k I'm willing to spend, how many pulls will that buy me?"

If the seller responds and accepts that money without further question, they are guilty by association. A smart person would question "I just bought 10k...", others are blinded by the number $10k and accept without batting an eyelash.

In other words, you need to be able to trust the source of plat on high ticket items and services. For most people, amassing 10k of plat takes time and effort.

In an environment where level 5 clerics and rogues are running around with MQ purchased epics, it's no wonder how unhealthy the server economy must be. People who work for their plat generally want to be sure they intend to play a character before investing tens of thousands of plat into an alt.

It has now gotten to the point where there are threads on these very boards where people claim they turn away level 20 rogues because they don't have their epic... seriously, WTF?

Less demand reduces availability, and prices come down. If prices drop to a point where the effort to create supply is no longer worth it, availability will also come down, and so will competition for said items decrease. All in all, it makes for a better playing experience.

bomaroast
03-23-2014, 12:37 PM
By the wording, it seems like the staff is more upset at the buyers of RMT than the sellers. They don't care about someone making money. What they do care about is people giving away their money in the name of EQ and not giving it to them.

In my mind, this means they are most likely not directly benefiting from RMT.
Also, if they hadn't earlier, by now they are starting to see dollar signs when they think about P99. Where's my money!?!

I never would have played on this server it it had any fees associated with it, but I'm thinking there's a first time for everything. The SMS system just rescued a shaman I played in 2011 but forgot the password to. I'll oblige the staff today. Thank you.

Cyrano
03-23-2014, 01:24 PM
By the wording, it seems like the staff is more upset at the buyers of RMT than the sellers. They don't care about someone making money. What they do care about is people giving away their money in the name of EQ and not giving it to them.

Also, if they hadn't earlier, by now they are starting to see dollar signs when they think about P99. Where's my money!?!

I never would have played on this server it it had any fees associated with it, but I'm thinking there's a first time for everything. The SMS system just rescued a shaman I played in 2011 but forgot the password to. I'll oblige the staff today. Thank you.

lol ok.

formallydickman
03-23-2014, 01:37 PM

You sound like an extremely ungrateful self-entitled individual.

Gadwen
03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Getting gear and money to get gear is like...the only objective in this game. I don't know why people want to shit all over their experience here by RMTing plat so they can "catch up".

Leveling my first character here, scrounging for gear, actually camping everything i needed, was one of the best MMO experiences that I have ever had. Every subsequent super twink alt gets more and more stale and I find no motivation to play them after 20 lvls.

fastboy21
03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Getting gear and money to get gear is like...the only objective in this game. I don't know why people want to shit all over their experience here by RMTing plat so they can "catch up".

Leveling my first character here, scrounging for gear, actually camping everything i needed, was one of the best MMO experiences that I have ever had. Every subsequent super twink alt gets more and more stale and I find no motivation to play them after 20 lvls.

I thought meeting people and having fun was the goal...

if you are only here to "get gear" you should have burned out at least 2 years ago p

Gadwen
03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
I thought meeting people and having fun was the goal...

if you are only here to "get gear" you should have burned out at least 2 years ago p

My only goal is to have fun, but hunting for gear on my first char was a blast. I don't know why people would try to avoid that experience, especially in this game.

myriverse
03-23-2014, 02:42 PM

It doesn't occur to you that they also banned the sellers? There is evidence of where the plat went and where it came from. Bans all around, but one seller will likely have many buyers, so more buyers are likely to get punished.

Vexenu
03-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I don't understand this either. The entire game is built around gradually acquiring more and more powerful items for your characters. If you rob yourself of that experience then EverQuest is basically just a chat room.

HeallunRumblebelly
03-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I don't understand this either. The entire game is built around gradually acquiring more and more powerful items for your characters. If you rob yourself of that experience then EverQuest is basically just a chat room.

Some people just like a head start. There's a fair amount of keeping up with the joneses in everquest. Why even invite the lvl 40 rogue without his epic, I mean, honestly :p

smedlysmom14
03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
So let me ask you guys this. Whats the difference between people "donating" to pantheon rising for xp potions and people who RMT? Seems all the same to me.

myriverse
03-23-2014, 03:44 PM
So let me ask you guys this. Whats the difference between people "donating" to pantheon rising for xp potions and people who RMT? Seems all the same to me.
The Cause is different and xp pots don't hurt the server economy.

JayN
03-23-2014, 03:44 PM

hoping they got banned aswell!

contemptor
03-23-2014, 03:51 PM
This is also RMT, which is why quite a few in this community did not like the hypocrisy of that idea.

porigromus
03-23-2014, 03:53 PM

The sellers are here because there is a market. I am upset with the buyers too because they bring these sleezebags here and ruin the game for others. I don't like the sleezebags either but they wouldn't be here if dummies weren't too lazy to play the game.

Kayso
03-23-2014, 03:59 PM

When you buy a fungi or plat for a fungi, you're allowing some loser and his friends to quit their jobs at Taco Bell, sit at home playing EQ 24-7 monopolizing content, and still be able to maintain their steady diet of taco bell. You're contributing to part of the reason you can't get that fungi, trak BP, or epic drop to begin with.

Also, you're spitting in the face of the staff who donate countless hours... You're paying someone money and allowing them to make money off staff's donated time. A considerable amount of time.

When you're donating money to Pantheon in exchange for no-drop items, you're not doing either of those. And it's not like staff-sponsored events like the Pantheon pledge drive are regularly happening over the last 5 years.

Danth
03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
I wonder what proportion of those 400 accounts were throwaway mules versus actual characters.

Danth

HeallunRumblebelly
03-23-2014, 04:16 PM
I wonder what proportion of those 400 accounts were throwaway mules versus actual characters.

Danth

From people's posts, anyone who traded a decent amount with a lot of these accounts seemed to have also been picked up in a ban wave. Who knows o_O

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-23-2014, 04:47 PM
When you buy a fungi or plat for a fungi, you're allowing some loser and his friends to quit their jobs at Taco Bell, sit at home playing EQ 24-7 monopolizing content, and still be able to maintain their steady diet of taco bell. You're contributing to part of the reason you can't get that fungi, trak BP, or epic drop to begin with.

Also, you're spitting in the face of the staff who donate countless hours... You're paying someone money and allowing them to make money off staff's donated time. A considerable amount of time.

When you're donating money to Pantheon in exchange for no-drop items, you're not doing either of those. And it's not like staff-sponsored events like the Pantheon pledge drive are regularly happening over the last 5 years.

I highly doubt you could eke out a living on RMT. The amount it paid was not near enough. Most of the cash came from people "cashing out" at the end of their EQ career or some such nonsense not locking down a mob for hours at a time to make $6 USD.

HeallunRumblebelly
03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I highly doubt you could eke out a living on RMT. The amount it paid was not near enough. Most of the cash came from people "cashing out" at the end of their EQ career or some such nonsense not locking down a mob for hours at a time to make $6 USD.

The secret is to have a bunch of schlubs do all the work for you. /wave zeelot :p

chief
03-23-2014, 05:49 PM
i make so much $$ irl , i cant spend it on my model gf all the time

Glenzig
03-23-2014, 05:58 PM

So you know this RL friend well enough to have a picture of him playing P99 with you, but you didn't know where he was getting all his plat from??? Sounds legit to me.

thefloydian
03-23-2014, 10:49 PM

No one is making a living farming in P1999. Maybe if they had some dupe exploit or a big time buying/selling operation going, but just camping items isn't gonna pay the bills.

webrunner5
03-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Well it looks like the RMT money worked out for these guys. :eek:

Kayso
03-24-2014, 12:15 AM
No one is making a living farming in P1999. Maybe if they had some dupe exploit or a big time buying/selling operation going, but just camping items isn't gonna pay the bills.

The people who play 20 hours a day and are on call the other four aren't doing anything to make a living. Yet, they're alive.

RMT is another incentive for a small group to monopolize more game resources than they might otherwise do. It's certainly not the only incentive, but it's an incentive.

The rest was hyperbole.

Faywind
03-24-2014, 07:09 AM

The population is too low for tears...

drktmplr12
03-24-2014, 08:34 AM

-Prindan

http://1.media.todaysbigthing.cvcdn.com/60/34/ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

Mirana
03-24-2014, 11:33 AM
"silently tracking" the accounts seems like a bad strategy. Why not just stop it immediately.
-Prindan

Hilarious hearing all the people that got banned repeating this. Like they were "deceived" by the Devs while they broke the server rules. "It's entrapment!!!111"

If you are a detective wanting to get scum off the streets, are you going to bust a corrupt drug dealer the instant you find out about him, or are you going to watch him for months to discover all of his affiliates?

(It's the second one)

tizznyres
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Let the sinners be purged! Amen brothers.

baalzy
03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Entrapment is when an officer coerces a person into doing something that they would not normally do and is actually really difficult to prove in court.

If an officer held a gun to a kitten and said they'd pull the trigger if you didn't go buy some cocaine, that would be entrapment (for most people).

If an officer says 'I'm not a police officer, want to buy some cocaine?" and you then bought cocaine from the officer, that is not entrapment.

Purposely letting an illegal activity continue in order to catch more perpetrators/get evidence to take down the people at the top is also not entrapment.

Sarajo
03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
So much rationalization-of-the-banned in these threads. So let me rationalize, for a moment, how toxic RMT is in any MMO:
MMOs take place in another world. The point of them (and the draw of them) is to progress, somehow. For some people that means grinding XP/gold and getting best-in-slot items along the way. For some people, that means hunting rats and fishing to buy more beer, then logging out. For others, it means playing the market, buying shit for 10g and selling it for 11g until you've gotten your first 1000 platinum. For some people, it's about dominating all of the raiding scene, not letting anyone else get their hands on stuff.
But the thing all of those have in common is equality = both a level playing field and equal opportunity. You choose your class, your starting stats, your race, and your playstyle. It's not something you're born with.
So when you runts decide to RMT, you're saying "WELL IM RICH IN REAL LIFE I AM BASICALLY BETTER THAN EVERYONE AND DESERVE TO BE PRIVILEGED IN GAME HA HA HAHAHA", and that means you're getting an unfair advantage of some kind over others who play a game in which we compete for limited resources. Bought 15k for $349.00 and now you've got a fungi? Now you can fight without breaks for the first 30 levels or so, and you're going to level up faster and acquire loot faster. You might even be able to get to more named than anyone else because you can just kill with no breaks. Bought 30k for $849.00? Now you can pay some asshole in Chardok(who will probably turn around and sell the plat you gave them again) to powerlevel you through the "hell levels", again letting you race to higher-level loot and enemies and abilities.
Don't ever say RMT is not harming anyone. Don't ever think that it only affects you and the seller.
And finally, don't ever do it again.

JHTheisen
03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Do what you must but be willing to pay the price for it.

JPMorgan
03-24-2014, 03:27 PM
RMTers: even in a pixilated world, you're the least liked kids in school.

Red_Psyphon
03-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Applause for Sarajo, that guy gets it.