PDA

View Full Version : 2 Boxing is rampant on this server

Famous
03-22-2014, 01:36 AM
It's been a while since I have played here, I started up again recently and am just appalled by the amount of blatant 2 boxing that is going on. The worst part about it? People seem perfectly happy with ignoring it as long as it can provide them some benefit.

How convenient it is that as soon as there is a death in the group someones "friend" is nearby to offer a rez (the same cleric that has been AFK at zone line for 3 hours). Or hey look at that, the friendly AFK enchanter is here again to give the group C2, really fantastic that you come back to the game just a minute or two after it fades, every time!!!

I have been asking people in tells if they think the character is being boxed by our other group member and 9/10 times i get a positive response. But hey, as long as it helps us EXP we should all just ignore it right?

How many AFK 60 clerics/chanters/druids/shamans hanging around in lower level exp zones does to take before the no boxing rule just becomes a joke entirely? Or is it a joke already? Is there some unspoken code here that we should ignore people that are boxing as long as they are PLing us? Please let me in before I start laying on the petitions.

harnold
03-22-2014, 01:39 AM
If you suspected someone of 2 boxing, why didnt you report it like your supposed to do?

SamwiseRed
03-22-2014, 01:40 AM
No idea if they are boxing or not but you'd be surprised to find out how many people really do sit a ZL or camps for their buddies. My brother and I did that all the time when we played together. EverQuest is one of those games that goes hand in hand with AFKing. Lots of downtime in everquest therefore lots of alt tab youtubing, especially on blue.

that said there probably is some 2 boxing going around but I wouldnt call it rampant. if you think someone is breaking the rules then petition.

Ajkuhuun
03-22-2014, 01:42 AM
I know Naena sits at a zone line or just logs out at a camp all the time when I'm exping, mostly because he's AFK playing Heroes of the Storm, or Hearthstone or LoL or whatever. So I suppose it is possible some of these folks happen to be in the same house or something and can just lean over and say "BREEZE BITCH" like I do :P

gummab
03-22-2014, 01:43 AM
If you suspected someone of 2 boxing, why didnt you report it like your supposed to do?

Swish
03-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Amelinda got something right...she'd sometimes broadcast: "I can see you 2-boxing, I'd log out now"

Then the server pop dropped by 14-16 :D

JPMorgan
03-22-2014, 02:52 AM
No idea if they are boxing or not but you'd be surprised to find out how many people really do sit a ZL or camps for their buddies.

Or for complete strangers for that matter.

Aviann
03-22-2014, 03:01 AM
Petition it.

Calibix
03-22-2014, 03:12 AM
Is this a serious post?

All those AFK guildies your talking about... Did you ever consider that maybe they contacted them in some other manner...

Chick as an avatar. Why am I not surprised! HAHAHAHA take that gamer girls!

ninja edit : after considering it for a few minutes, chick avatar probably = girl. Successful troll is successful troll.

Aeaolena
03-22-2014, 03:31 AM
Always report suspected two-boxing.

Two-boxing is srs business.

If the person is legit AFK alt-tabbed and just being nice (which happens more than you'd think), they will be none the wiser that their IP was checked (and cleared) by a GM for possible two-boxing.

Daldaen
03-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Or how about you stop worrying about other people until it starts hugely impacting your gameplay.

Too many stupid people white-knight on this and aimlessly petition while stupid. And if you petition when stupid, you're gonna have a bad time. Example:

If you see a Druid running at a speed faster than SoW, don't /shout "nice speed hacks bro, grats on petition". Herp-a-derp, learn2SpiritofCheetah.

^. That's happened to be 2-3 times on this server. Idiots.

If you happen to see me as a 60 Druid in Unrest and you get trained, don't /shout "fucking powerlevelers! some people are trying to GROUP in main room, stop training us".

When infact on a few occasions I had been tree-formed for the last several minutes and had 0 possibility of moving let alone training. Or that I had been AFK and hadn't aggroed any mobs in the past 10 minutes.

And just sometimes I like to tree form at entrance or join a random group and fully group buff them. If your criteria for 2 boxing involves people who are nice enough to do that but for a longer period of time, then you are greatly mistaken. There just happen to be some people who are nice on this server. Much nicer than myself.

Stop assuming that just because someone is conveniently helping others they are "blatantly two boxing". Just because you don't have high level friends helping you doesn't mean other people have no friends who help them.

I guarantee you, the vast majority of situations you've seen haven't been two boxers. But to ahead, waste the people who volunteer to be guides' time. I'm sure they will get a laugh out of it when they just ventrilo and talk to both people in question simultaneously.

This server is good about catching and punishing on this stuff. But it's really dumb when people get up on their high horse and become the self proclaimed expert on boxing and all things server-integrity when they have no idea what they are talking about. Because the people who are so bothered by 2-boxing are generally speaking, not very experienced at boxing themselves and don't know what they are talking about.

tl;dr - You do you. Stop worrying about other people. You don't like someone's friend buffing your group, find another one.

Rika
03-22-2014, 06:46 AM
If I've nothing better to do I'm one of those that semi afks in FoB and buffs newbies. I sometimes tell the polite ones to /t me for a refresh on short duration ones. When I get a tell I buff em and return to sitting atop a ledge and semi afk or whatever until I'm ready to do whatever I'm doing.

It's a bit much to accuse us all of two boxing just for being nice. Like others have said though, just report if you think foul play is afoot. :D

innocent51
03-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Amelinda got something right...she'd sometimes broadcast: "I can see you 2-boxing, I'd log out now"

Then the server pop dropped by 14-16 :D
15 people over 1k so pop doesn't seem crazy high.

You can also have a good chunk of people asking friend to help while AFK. I mean, if I'm at work I can have EQ launched on my computer while not really playing. A friend xp'ing near by pokes me on TeamSpeak or Facebook for a sow, a rez or a crack times to times, I can do it, its not dual boxing.

Not to mention waiting for raid people, LFG people, auctioning people, bored people...

I can tell you GM are VERY keen on dual boxing, have the ban hammer light and have tools to check if you are actually boxing. Now if you are playing from home on a computer and have your laptop connected to your neighbor wifi its probably invisible, but I'm not sure its common enough to start a witch hunting.

Swish
03-22-2014, 12:15 PM
15 people over 1k so pop doesn't seem crazy high.

This was a couple of years back, I think the pop had sunk to around 600-650 at peak the summer after Kunark was released.

What I'd like to see is all IP exemptions removed for 24 hours, and the comparative EC populations...could be interesting. Dealt with a bunch of people who advertise, then it takes 2 minutes to get a response, and another minute or so with the trade window open. Not saying they're all boxers, but chances are a couple were.

jhimmy
03-22-2014, 12:43 PM
i have had higher level friend helping me, whilst there on the net watching tv etc and we are on skype ill just say chuck me a heal and bam heal, doesnt mean there boxing at all!

webrunner5
03-22-2014, 12:49 PM
I have been playing this game from nearly the start and have never really suspected someone boxing. ME thinks the OP is on some serious meds or NEEDS to be on them. :eek:

HeallunRumblebelly
03-22-2014, 12:53 PM
2 boxing is fairly infrequent, but I've seen it a few times in chardok AE recently. The incentive to box your proxy is too great for some. RIP Kelorek.

Swish
03-22-2014, 12:56 PM
2 boxing is fairly infrequent, but I've seen it a few times in chardok AE recently. The incentive to box your proxy is too great for some. RIP Kelorek.

lol, how unsurprising.

Champion_Standing
03-22-2014, 02:30 PM
This was a couple of years back, I think the pop had sunk to around 600-650 at peak the summer after Kunark was released.

What I'd like to see is all IP exemptions removed for 24 hours, and the comparative EC populations...could be interesting. Dealt with a bunch of people who advertise, then it takes 2 minutes to get a response, and another minute or so with the trade window open. Not saying they're all boxers, but chances are a couple were.

Server pop would drop by 200+ at prime time.

Fame
03-22-2014, 03:04 PM
op confirmed wannabe

Ravager
03-22-2014, 03:10 PM

When I'm in EC selling crap, I do my /auc then tab out to do other internet stuff, or I'm doing household chores and whatever else since staring at EC chat for hours while you try and sell stuff is a stupid waste of time. I doubt I'm the only one who does this.

Freakish
03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Recently some friends started playing on this server. They got an IP exemption and for the most part play together. They mentioned to me that they were boxing while camping something they couldn't kill solo and I promptly explained how badly they could be shooting themselves in the foot doing it. If you legitimately need that IP exemption and get caught boxing you just screwed yourself out of playing with your friend / SO /dog. It's not worth it. Ask around for a rez or port or for help.

feanan
03-22-2014, 04:01 PM
I often sit around buffing people in various zones.

Why? Cause I'm bored as fuck, and have nothing else better to do.

Also, when I play my alts, I have no qualms about IM'ing my friends telling them to log in to buff me, port me, or rez me.

Are there people two boxing here? Sure. Is it a ton of people? no