PDA

View Full Version : Chris Tolkien

Kazi
03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
needs to get a real job and stop leeching off his dad's hard work. Anyone actually believe this is about legacy and not easy $$$?

Doors
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Elaborate pls.

Kazi
03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Just all the recent releases of his dad's unfinished, unpublished works. Beowulf translation now. I have to wonder if they were ever intended for distribution.

I was actually pretty angsty when I OP'd. Not rly mad.

Ahldagor
03-19-2014, 08:45 PM
he's going to do whatever he wants to with his father's work. silmarillion (big if on this one), the hobbit, and lotr are all anyone really knows about tolkien though. his scholarship is lost on most folks because they know nothing about anglo saxon or norse (germanic pagan really) folklore.

Nuggie
03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't know anything about this story, but if he wanted to honor his father's legacy maybe he should publish something.

MrSparkle001
03-20-2014, 02:42 PM
He puts a lot of work into some of the these books. I'm reading a history of the writing of LOTR and it looks like he has to go through many hand-written pages that aren't always legible.

Did you know the original protagonist of LOTR was named Bingo Baggins, and the character of Aragorn was originally a hobbit ranger named Trotter who wore wooden shoes?

Raavak
03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Chris basically put together the Simarillion from his fathers notes. And of course all the other background books from other notes (Unfinished Tales, etc). I think he said at times his father had contradictory stuff, so it was Chris who determined what was published (in the Simarillion).

Whatever. Even Chris has to be older than old these days and won't be around much longer. [edit: just looked, he's 89]

Myself, I'm thankful Christopher is doing all this. If he didn't all we would have of JRR Tolkien is the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit...