PDA

View Full Version : Pets & Experience

Mist
03-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this server and I wanted to talk briefly about pets and experience. I was curious if the requirement to do more than 50% of damage over your pet to receive full experience was ever part of live? As it stands right now, I can't even out damage my pet against certain cons spamming my best nuke. That's not even mentioning that I'll run out of mana extremely fast that way. If this is custom code (because as I remember it you only had to do one point of damage) would it be possible to have the damage requirement reduced to something more reasonable?

Swish
03-19-2014, 06:45 AM
They're patching in line with what happened on Live as far as possible, I could try and dig through the patch notes to find the change but it'll be there somewhere. When that got patched in the mage population tanked quite considerably :p

If you're a necro, pull the pet off at 20% or so and let your dots do the rest of the damage.

If you're a mage, I've seen mages reclaim their pet when the mob is at 10% or so, and then finish with a nuke. You'll need a lot of malachite etc but that's the way around it.

(or duo/group, the 50% doesn't factor in unless you're solo)

Flunker
03-19-2014, 06:48 AM
hiho,

just don't mind and don't try to outdamage ur Pet.

I play a magician, so it may differ with other pet classes, BUT
I will tell you, how I play:

I do minimal damage to any mob, lvl 1 nuke so pet does max aggro and i can sit as soon as possible to med.
I heal the pet, sitting between casts to get max mana refresh.

When ur pet takes to much damage u can jump in ith a nuke or 2, or take some hits going into melee range.

This way the pet will smack alot of mobs, before I need a break. With breeze or clarity there is no pause at all, other then a lack of mobs.

I am also playing a shaman and a druid. Both have much more downtime, even duoing is slower then soloing the mage.

This changes somewhat with increasing lvl and the need to change ur playstyle with the pet classes (chaincasting etc.)

So just dont worry about the pet eating 50%, just do some damage.

Or even better get a partner or group, so u dont get any malus.

Flunker

Mist
03-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the responses and advice guys. If it's following live ignore my post entirely. I've been reclaiming energy against red cons. I'm going to power through and keep with it :) Cheers~

Dweed
03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Don't forget damage shield doesn't count towards the pet damage, it behaves basically by lowering the max hp ceiling.

Example: A 100hp mob takes 40damage from your DS, you only need to deal 31dmg (>50% of 60hp) to get full exp over your pet. So usually just a nuke or 2 with a good DS can do it.

lecompte
03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
A tricky way around the exp penalty is just to have someone in your group... they don't even have to be in the same zone as you. Find an EC mule, ask Bobbarker, someone -- if they'll group with you so you can solo with pet. Great. Now you can go to Nro or Oasis or where and have no penalty :)

Velerin
03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Like others said, at low levels don't even bother with it. You'll still solo with minimal downtime just letting a buffed pet kill low blues. Once you hit mid levels then you can start reclaiming pet, finishing with nuke for full exp. Try to find low enough blues that your pet can solo them, reclaim, small nuke, resummon. There will be no downtime.

Clark
03-20-2014, 06:50 AM
A tricky way around the exp penalty is just to have someone in your group... they don't even have to be in the same zone as you. Find an EC mule, ask Bobbarker, someone -- if they'll group with you so you can solo with pet. Great. Now you can go to Nro or Oasis or where and have no penalty :)

They removed that on red99 like a month in. Pretty sure it doesn't work on blue.

Also mages should carry like 300 malachite for mass reclaiming.

Cecily
03-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Agreed with the OP though. I wish it was changed back to classic rules so players didn't have to find creative workarounds to server mechanics.
See: sneak pulling with broken sneak on hit. I think it would be neat to charm 1 pet and actually try to keep it alive instead of pushing it off the cliff too.

Zeshtling
03-20-2014, 01:50 PM
lowering it to 20% done by player seems like it would fix it and still hamstring afk killing

emp82
03-21-2014, 05:16 AM
1. Send in fire pet
2. sit and med until mob is at 3-5% life
3. reclaim pet
4. nuke mob to kill for full xp
5. recast pet and med until you see next mob

You wont be able to run from place to place while doing this but if you get a mob cycle of 3-4 mobs that are high enough level in a smaller area you will stay over 50% mana the entire time and get full xp.

You will need a bag full of malachite for this to work. Also remember the mana return from your pet being reclaimed is equal to the amount of life he had left from my experience. (30% life, 200mana to cast pet = 60 mana return)

webrunner5
03-21-2014, 10:34 AM
I pretty much stopped playing my Mage after the pet nerf. But to be honest that before the nerf you could level so fast it was scary. A true killing machine.

But to someone new like you, you won't miss it. A mage can still kill as fast or faster than any other class but a Bard. And I am not much into running around in circles for 6 hours straight lol. :eek: So just go ahead and play one. They are powerful as hell and liked in groups. So you picked a great class trust me. And easy to play also. :)

You can chain cast pets and level quicker but like I said above even just keeping the one pet they kill fast. If you buff the pet and give it some toys, heal it, it will make you smile at times how much fun it is watching them just flat out beat the snot out of stuff.

And you don't really need ANY gear on a Mage to play one well either. Cheap fun.