PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

sunmilk
03-17-2014, 03:45 PM
A friend of mine plays project1999, but in true noob fashion is apparently playing on the blue server. I was thinking about playing oldschool EQ again, but have little to no interest playing on a carebear server (was originally on Sullon Zek during Velious).

Anyway, this website displays the number of people online for each server... something like 400-500 for the blue server, and 40-50 for the pvp server the few times I checked. I was wondering if these are actually accurate numbers for the online population, or if the numbers are low ... maybe people who are anon are uncounted? Anyway, wondering how desolate the pvp server is.

Also, I read in the FAQ that in order to play on either of these servers I would need to first obtain a copy of Everquest: Titanium... or something like that. I assume I would have to try to buy that online somewhere? Google/amazon are showing like 90$++ hahaha. Anyway, any answers to these questions would be helpful... playing EQ pvp again could be a lot of fun, but I can't see it being enjoyable with like ... 40 people online at a time.

Edit: I have some good ideas on how to get Titanium... hilarious post by the way, but would love any sort of input on my other questions :D

Galacticus
03-17-2014, 03:55 PM
There have been recent changes to the server that caused population to drop. There are plans in the pipeline to raise the population in the future but were all waiting to see what happens.

Those numbers are accurate. Normally the peak time has around 80 people but a few months ago was seeing 250+ at peak.

Were waiting to see what happens with Velious and what new changes will be implemented to raise the population and make it better for newer players like yourself.

I don't think anyone here purchased Titanium as there are other means to find the game that has become popular with the rise of the internet.

You could try playing now and get a head start or wait it out and see what happens like a lot of others.

sunmilk
03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Hey Galacticus, thanks for the reponse. It really is unfortunate that there is such a low population... though it's pretty easy to understand. Most people never played EQ for the pvp.

What were some of the (somewhat) recent changes that you think were responsible for lowering the population so drastically? 250 at peak to 80 is quite a drop.

Fame
03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Everything you read here is true.

tristantio
03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Used to be a big xp bonus (I don't think 2x but close?) that got taken away.

sunmilk
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Wow, that's unfortunate to read. Part of what made EQ so enjoyable for me (and I'm sure most people) was how punishing the game could be at times... On a pvp server, the level of punishment you were subjected to was amplified several times fold with the likes of exp loss, bind/corpse camping, so on...

Anyway, it seems the forums are maybe more active than the server itself?

mostbitter
03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
exp reduced 400%

Bazia
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Server is amazing and 10x funner then blue as long as you are mature and can handle that you are probably going to get your shit pushed in time to time until you get used to PVPing often.

Server requires maturity and patience.

Tassador
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
925ers

Galacticus
03-17-2014, 04:11 PM
The exp reduction was hard for people who don't have 60s already. It was taken out with the intention of being replaced by a possible group bonus to get people to group together more but with Velious comming out it seems to be taking longer then expected to be implemented.

There have been exp reductions in the past with the population drop following, just to have the exp increased back up a few months later with a new bonus and the population increases again.

We are all hoping for the best but not sure what to expect this time.

sunmilk
03-17-2014, 04:39 PM
It seems strange to me (and probably other people as well) for them to take away exp bonus with intent to reintroduce a new variation of exp bonus... without offering something in the interim. Maybe they're just trying to get more data to confirm a correlation between bigger exp incentives and higher population?

Server is amazing and 10x funner then blue as long as you are mature and can handle that you are probably going to get your shit pushed in time to time until you get used to PVPing often.

In regards to the pvp aspect... I don't really see how PVP would be much of a factor for someone when the active server population at any given time is 40-80? Unfortunately I am hoping/wishing there would be a lot of pvp to be /scared of, but I really don't see how that would be the case with the apparent population of the server.

sunmilk
03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
When is Velious coming out? And is exp gain/loss with hell levels (and post-hell level double exp loss, etc) the same as original EQ?

Galacticus
03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
No one knows.