PDA

View Full Version : Wizard, a trap?

SewingMachine
03-17-2014, 03:29 AM
I think the idea of wizards, nuke root nuke ... rest. But I came back to this game to group up and grind out some lvls with people. A lot of conversations are really neg. with wizards ability to get a group is it really that bad. I don't want to get wizard to 20's and find that i just solo the whole way. Any wizards out there give me some positive news?

Sajan
03-17-2014, 03:45 AM
You don't solo the whole way. Just until 55 or so when you can join Chardok AE groups.

Aborath
03-17-2014, 03:59 AM
You don't solo the whole way. Just until 55 or so when you can join Chardok AE groups.

56, from what I'm told.

To the OP: that's basically it. Sad to say, but it's true; root-n-nuke until you get your Jboots and Temp. Flux Staff... then begin quadding.

I eagerly await the fabled glory of Chardok.

Quineloe
03-17-2014, 04:09 AM
56 was it for 10yearsago exp AE because you need two Jyll's spells due to recast time.

Estu
03-17-2014, 08:54 AM
56 was it for 10yearsago exp AE because you need two Jyll's spells due to recast time.

You don't need to use two Jyll's spells for an AE group; doing high DPS isn't as important as having good mana efficiency, and the spells have pretty low cooldowns. You'll run out of mana before the enchanters will; the important thing is to do as much damage as you can before you run out.

Also, to the OP, yeah, wizard life is pretty dull. You can get into groups but you won't be doing a whole lot in them. You can do some OK crowd control with root, snare, and stuns, but you're definitely not a top crowd control class, and your DPS in the long run is rather poor.

Quineloe
03-17-2014, 09:02 AM
You don't need to use two Jyll's spells for an AE group; doing high DPS isn't as important as having good mana efficiency, and the spells have pretty low cooldowns. You'll run out of mana before the enchanters will; the important thing is to do as much damage as you can before you run out.

Also, to the OP, yeah, wizard life is pretty dull. You can get into groups but you won't be doing a whole lot in them. You can do some OK crowd control with root, snare, and stuns, but you're definitely not a top crowd control class, and your DPS in the long run is rather poor.

True, mana pools are much smaller here than they were when AEing became a thing on live. I remember using Winds of Gelid and wouldn't run OOM before everything was dead.

Rhambuk
03-17-2014, 09:29 AM
been leveling a wiz and have had no issues finding a group, granted i don't look a lot. Ill pop into mm or paw or ot give a shout wait a few minutes and go solo for an hour then try again. That's the best part about it you can go solo if you want.

I get groups quite frequently at 34, most groups will take whoever is lfg not sit there with 2 empty spots in group waiting for an epic rogue/monk

solo is way faster than grouping though, way faster.

also with all the dok ae pl talk, I got into a droga ae group the other day and it was Grade A. we had a higher level pulling for us but other than that it was just 2 wizzies a rog and dru dpsing and the exp was insane, got through 30 hell in under an hour lol

Zoolander
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
epic+mana stone with a manarobe bagged and you can basically play nakid. iam having a "blast" rite now as a wiz

Velerin
03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
I love wizards. Played one for some 300 days played as my main back in the day. But in a typical constant pull exp group in this era, they really are dead weight. Even worse if no bard/enc in the group. Pre-focus items/mount/FT etc. pure casters have it rough. Your main selling point will be as a porter/evaccer for groups that need it like in the Hole.

goshozal
03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Obligatory.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4fad386beab8eac843000000/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas.jpg

Morningbreath
03-25-2014, 09:25 PM
I love wizards. Played one for some 300 days played as my main back in the day. But in a typical constant pull exp group in this era, they really are dead weight. Even worse if no bard/enc in the group. Pre-focus items/mount/FT etc. pure casters have it rough. Your main selling point will be as a porter/evaccer for groups that need it like in the Hole.

Actually it's WORSE with a an enchanter/bard in the group because their haste spells give melees a much higher percentage boost to their DPS than clarity does for wizards. Clarity also allows the healer to heal more often, which of course means faster pulls...even more bad news for the wizard.

Just a bunk class for grouping. Wizard mana regen should have always adjusted to the pull rate of the group, simple as that.