PDA

View Full Version : Help a Noob - advice on overcoming lack of strength

Villide
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Hello all, as a lower level (12) Erudite Paladin, I've been hampered by a lack of strength on my character. I've always had to sell items quickly, and not carry multiple weapons, meaning multiple bank runs to catch up my weapon skills each level.

From what I understand, this is a problem many classes encountered back in the old days, so I'm wondering if there are any tips to help in this regard? Or am I just hosed because I didn't put enough points into strength at character create?

I just purchased some banded armor to upgrade from mostly cloth, and I'd love to actually be able to wear most of it. :D

Reiker
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Shrug, obtain some weight reducing containers or + strength items.

Bodeanicus
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Hello all, as a lower level (12) Erudite Paladin, I've been hampered by a lack of strength on my character. I've always had to sell items quickly, and not carry multiple weapons, meaning multiple bank runs to catch up my weapon skills each level.

From what I understand, this is a problem many classes encountered back in the old days, so I'm wondering if there are any tips to help in this regard? Or am I just hosed because I didn't put enough points into strength at character create?

I just purchased some banded armor to upgrade from mostly cloth, and I'd love to actually be able to wear most of it. :D

STR jewelry and gear. That's the only answer. Or have a Shaman sidekick. I know your pain. My main on the live servers was an Erudite Paladin.

drplump
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Erudite Paladin
Here is your problem. Hows that high INT working for you?

Halladar
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
man that's rough, particularly for erudites.

All I can tell you is that you will yaulp a lot. And you can cast the almost totally useless reckless strength buffs a lot as well.

You probably already figured it out, but you will never wear bronze (I wouldn't anyway). You will go from banded to something else.

On upside in bb there is a +3 str collar, and some shoulderpads with plus str from the commander (uncommon drop though).

Sounds funny but if you see a high level around blackburrow tell him you are an erudite paladin and need str. Everyone pretty much knows what the deal is with that, so hopefully he will help you kill commander, or do it for you.

The collar drops off elites, but you would need a full group for commander, and that will be hard to find around qeynos. If I were high enough to get one I'd shoot you a thick banded belt. But I'm not.

Good luck anyway.

Halladar
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh yeah, I think the old sewing containers thing is working as intended right now. You can buy large sewing kits on halas ramp. They only weigh .4 (or did last time I looked). They are large containers, just don't hit combine.

If we follow the nerf history it should be a few years before they weigh as much as backpacks.

karsten
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM
i had the same issue, such that wearing full bronze would encumber me even if i wasn't holding any backpacks etc -- my recommendation for a lower level paladin is to get some low-cost strength jewelry, and otherwise just assume you're going to be encumbered and roll with it. as long as you stay above 75 agility you'll generally be ok

Naerron
12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
the problem is you chose a bad race. The benefit of being an erudite is really just the high ent and some race specific quest, however none of these help out a pally. The only rational choice for a pally is a dwarf, they have good str/stam/and decent wis. However, EQ players are not always rational and choose their race for a variety of reasons, i know i was a halfling warrior on live for many reasons, none of them had to do with the start stats. If you want to stay away from the small races, high elves make decent paladins, they get ok wis but still suffer from str/stam problems. It seems that mana is never a huge issue at higher lvls and that as a tank you should shoot for HPs/str.

karsten
12-14-2009, 07:36 PM
erudite paladins own face, i'd have been one except for the fact that they're blind QQ

don't let the haters hate brew, you play what YOU like! ^_^

karsten
12-14-2009, 07:53 PM
actually send me a tell ingame, i'll get you taken care of dude

Bubbles
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Send me a /tell in game, I've got a couple Fine Steel armor mules parked in West/North Freeport that have Light Burlap Sacks and Evil Eye Bags that I never use anymore..

Next time you are in Freeport Area fire me a /tell on Bubbles/Hail and I'll camp out real quick and get them to you.. They'll make the impossible dream of hoarding bronze and fine steel weapons a reality for ya ;)

Villide
12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the comments. Yes, I've now realized that playing an Erudite Paladin in classic mode isn't easy in any way. Gonna grind it out though - and thanks Karsten, I'll look you up in game.