PDA

View Full Version : Bonus EXP!

Tzeriel
03-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I know we're not Live, but I think it would still be fitting for P1999 to celebrate EQ's 15th anniversary. Maybe double exp this weekend/week?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Prepare Uranus

Tzeriel
03-14-2014, 04:42 PM
My body is ready.

Swish
03-14-2014, 04:44 PM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/iU8395XCj6ltC/giphy.gif

Wouldn't say no to a lil help leveling my iksar SK... in the spirit of the 15th anniversary ofc ;)

krilla
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey guys, I pooped today...
..bonus xp weekend?

Swish
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey guys, I pooped today...
..bonus xp weekend?

http://media.giphy.com/media/7LAqMVFxOGPAc/giphy.gif

Daldaen
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
I dunno. 15 years of an MMO being online is pretty impressive. I don't know you, but I'm going to wager a guess that your bowel movements aren't nearly as time consuming or awe inspiring as EQs 15 years.

krilla
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
If anything, I'm making the case for bonus XP even stronger than before.

baalzy
03-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Gemstone 3 (now Gemstone 4) is still up and running and its a pay to play MUD. It launched in 1988.

Strifer
03-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Bonus XP pls.

archy
03-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Bonus exp sounds good to me.

Erica
03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Bonus XP pls.

Lyrith
03-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Oh I would love bonus EXP, Notice for this would be great as I just posted a thread about trying to find out when to use Vacation time! =D

-Catherin-
03-14-2014, 05:15 PM
if you really want to celebrate classic EQ then there should be a week of an exp penalty instead :p

Danth
03-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Heck I have a Paladin and a Shadow Knight. Every week has an experience penalty.

Danth

Swish
03-14-2014, 05:25 PM
if you really want to celebrate classic EQ then there should be a week of an exp penalty instead :p

You wanna offload some of that cleric MQ plat yet Catherin? :p

http://media.giphy.com/media/TKUottzLkuxAk/giphy.gif

Ajkuhuun
03-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Unreliable endorses this...Some of us might even log in for it!

Tzeriel
03-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Bump this shit!

khanable
03-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Haynar
03-16-2014, 03:57 PM
If p99 did a double bonus for EQ anniversary, I would probably play too. I just got through patching eqlive and will probably pay for all 3 accounts and play in the world of the fabled. Lots of anniversary quests I never did. I love to 3 box. I am thinking might just use the free 85 to make a wiz. Always wanted to do sk, wiz, brd + 3 mercs.

H

Laledorie
03-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Bring on the anniversary bonus XP! =D

HeallunRumblebelly
03-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Two weeks bonus xp. Then wipe it clean.

Dragr
03-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Chop 'er down Newt.

veejur
03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Yes Yes Yes! Bonus Majoris!

Arterian
03-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Bonus!

Vidar
03-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Gemstone 3 (now Gemstone 4) is still up and running and its a pay to play MUD. It launched in 1988.

not an mmo

Altair
03-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Could bring back the CLASSIC stareing at spell book while medding for a few days, ppl would love that.

Bonus Exp good idea too;)

Haynar
03-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Could bring back the CLASSIC stareing at spell book while medding
O_o
Thats what I can work on coding. Yeah.

Gaffin 7.0
03-16-2014, 10:55 PM
i have a 100 war with 7k aa on fv and test, down to play if any on ethier of those

Cecily
03-16-2014, 11:15 PM
How about we do a double Station Cash weekend instead?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Xp bonus will:

Bring in hordes of powerlevelers.
Contest and already-contested landscape.
Create a new glut of fresh-60's many of whom will suck as they were likely power levelled.

It's nice to see that bar move but this game doesn't need any more bonuses.

myriverse
03-17-2014, 07:55 AM
No reason to rush into that brick wall. It'll still be there when Winter comes.

Daldaen
03-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Create a new glut of fresh-60's many of whom will suck as they were likely power levelled.

Really... No.

You don't need much time playing at 60 to stop "sucking". This really shouldn't be a concern at all. After a 3-4 hour grind group at 60, as compared to your pre-PLed 50, you should figure out your new discs or spells. Not too many are game changing and if they are it isn't that much of a adaptation. Torpor probably being chief among them.

I always hated the argument that PLed people will be bad players. Especially pre-AAs where the game is extremely simplistic.

fadetree
03-17-2014, 11:12 AM
not an mmo

Gemstone not an MMO? yes it is. A thousand people playing a game online together in the same world = MMO. Yknow, like P99.

skipdog
03-17-2014, 11:31 AM

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Really... No.

You don't need much time playing at 60 to stop "sucking". This really shouldn't be a concern at all. After a 3-4 hour grind group at 60, as compared to your pre-PLed 50, you should figure out your new discs or spells. Not too many are game changing and if they are it isn't that much of a adaptation. Torpor probably being chief among them.

I always hated the argument that PLed people will be bad players. Especially pre-AAs where the game is extremely simplistic.

You're assuming lots from other players but, ymmv.

Twainz
03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
If you guys don't want an exp bonus then Red99 will take it for you. Grant 200% exp on red for 2 weeks and let people try Red99 :D.

Laugher
03-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Xp bonus will:

Bring in hordes of powerlevelers.
Contest and already-contested landscape.

You may not be able to tell, but this is me sitting in MM :p

http://i.imgur.com/QGOghzys.png

Lamil
03-17-2014, 12:57 PM

I played the shit outta that game back in the day. I had no idea it was still up and running. Didn't AOL or someone take it over?

Champion_Standing
03-17-2014, 01:01 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/CjjzsRZKl9Ci4/giphy.gif

FREE EXP FOR EVERYONE!!!

Yonkec
03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
http://www.i-mockery.com/halloween/greatest/pics/thefly4.gif

fadetree
03-18-2014, 08:56 AM
I played the shit outta that game back in the day. I had no idea it was still up and running. Didn't AOL or someone take it over?

They went private, the company is called Simutronics. I played it so much back in the day I ran up a 600$ bill (!). Its still going pretty strong, as a text game it is oddly compelling.

Kesrin
03-18-2014, 10:43 AM

So is dragonrealms, most time consuming games in history

Swifty
03-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Chardok AE mafia lobbying for a way to raise prices and make even more $$$4,

Swish
03-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Well it came and went. Didn't hurt to ask :p

Vidar
03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Gemstone not an MMO? yes it is. A thousand people playing a game online together in the same world = MMO. Yknow, like P99.

No, its not an MMO. There is a defference between EQ and a MUD. Should there be a better classification? Yes. BUt saying that a MUD and eq or wow or whatever is the same type of game...Not true.

Vile
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
lol

Ménage à trois
03-18-2014, 03:05 PM
No, its not an MMO. There is a defference between EQ and a MUD. Should there be a better classification? Yes. BUt saying that a MUD and eq or wow or whatever is the same type of game...Not true.

It (Gemstone 4) is definitely an MMO.

Fett
03-18-2014, 03:07 PM

MMO stands for massively multiplier online.

If a thousand people are playing an online game together, it's certainly a MMO. There are MMORPGs like EQ, WoW, and even MUDs. There are MMOFPSs like Planetside.

No one said they are the same exact type of game, but they are by definition all MMOs.

JPMorgan
03-18-2014, 03:11 PM

EQ is just a mud with a visual component.

Vile
03-18-2014, 03:16 PM

isn't every game?

Lamil
03-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Now I'm going to go look for Gemstone3.

Vidar
03-18-2014, 03:23 PM
It (Gemstone 4) is definitely an MMO.

No its not. EQ is an MMO. Diablo isnt an MMO. MUDs aren't MMOs. They are different types of games. Just because a game is online doesn't make it an MMO.

Fett
03-18-2014, 03:26 PM
No its not. EQ is an MMO. Diablo isnt an MMO. MUDs aren't MMOs. They are different types of games. Just because a game is online doesn't make it an MMO.

Diablo isn't an MMO because there isn't a persistent world nor is there a large amount of concurrent connected users to said world.

Gemstone may be on the edge. Is it a persistent world, with a large amount of concurrent users? I would say it classifies as a MMO then.

myriverse
03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
isn't every game?
No.

Vidar
03-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Diablo isn't an MMO because there isn't a persistent world nor is there a large amount of concurrent connected users to said world.

Gemstone may be on the edge. Is it a persistent world, with a large amount of concurrent users? I would say it classifies as a MMO then.

The Designers of EQ Disagree. A MUD is a MUD. EQ and UO and DAoC and Asherons call Etc etc etc are classified as MMO's.

Fett
03-18-2014, 03:46 PM
The Designers of EQ Disagree. A MUD is a MUD. EQ and UO and DAoC and Asherons call Etc etc etc are classified as MMO's.

If you have a link or such referencing a dev journal that shows what the EQ designers thought, I would like to see it. Personally, however the EQ designers word is not gospel.

MUD is an old term. The term MMO hadn't even come into use at the time MUD was being used. All we have to do is use a little logic in this siutation though. What makes a MMO comes down to two simple things.

A persistent world. Even if everyone logs off, the world continues to exists, and does not reset.
A large amount of concurrent users. This is of course a little more grey, because what is a "large amount"?

MUD's usually fall into category 1, as the worlds are usually persistent and do not reset. If Gemstone 4 (or other MUDs) can host hundreds, if not a thousand users at the same time I'd say it easily falls into category 2.

MMO is certainly a newer term than MUD, but there's no reason that older games don't meet the definition for the word.

Vidar
03-18-2014, 04:00 PM
If you have a link or such referencing a dev journal that shows what the EQ designers thought, I would like to see it. Personally, however the EQ designers word is not gospel.

MUD is an old term. The term MMO hadn't even come into use at the time MUD was being used. All we have to do is use a little logic in this siutation though. What makes a MMO comes down to two simple things.

A persistent world. Even if everyone logs off, the world continues to exists, and does not reset.
A large amount of concurrent users. This is of course a little more grey, because what is a "large amount"?

MUD's usually fall into category 1, as the worlds are usually persistent and do not reset. If Gemstone 4 (or other MUDs) can host hundreds, if not a thousand users at the same time I'd say it easily falls into category 2.

MMO is certainly a newer term than MUD, but there's no reason that older games don't meet the definition for the word.

Well, if a MUD is an MMO so is Diablo. No the world isn't persistent like in eq or UO but then again what happens when you log out and back in...its the same world with the same mobs. You kill a mob in eq it pops up again. The world refreshes itself in both games just in a different way.

And this is why i say MUDs are MUDs and MMO's are MMO's. If you start saying MUDs are mmos then Sims online becomes an MMO. And we havent even got into FPS and RTS games.

MMO by definition would encompass a lot more than just eq style games. But its a classification...like MUD, FPS, RTS, RPG, ARPG. Is it wrong? I would say yes. But as of right now we have no other term to classify EQ and WoW etc. so they stay MMO's while other games stay MUDs or RPGs etc.

Fett
03-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Well, if a MUD is an MMO so is Diablo. No the world isn't persistent like in eq or UO but then again what happens when you log out and back in...its the same world with the same mobs. You kill a mob in eq it pops up again. The world refreshes itself in both games just in a different way.

Diablo is absolutely not a MMO because it does not meet the first item. The world has to be persistent for the term MMO to apply. Even if it was persistent, only a small amount of users can be connected at one time.

And this is why i say MUDs are MUDs and MMO's are MMO's. If you start saying MUDs are mmos then Sims online becomes an MMO. And we haven't even got into FPS and RTS games.

Does the Sim's online have a persistent world that doesn't reset? Does it host a large amount of concurrent users? Then YES it is a MMO. You aren't understanding what the term means. MMO does not equal graphical online RPGs like EQ, it means a persistent world, with a large amount of concurrent users, period. The term came into use more recently than MUDs, which is why it applies to a larger cross section of games.

MMO by definition would encompass a lot more than just eq style games. But its a classification...like MUD, FPS, RTS, RPG, ARPG. Is it wrong? I would say yes. But as of right now we have no other term to classify EQ and WoW etc. so they stay MMO's while other games stay MUDs or RPGs etc.

Now you are getting it. MMO doesn't apply to a specific genre of games. It's an umbrella term, that any genre can fall under if it follows the two rules I mentioned.

Vile
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
No.

if you think about it... any game could be turned into text format no?

all games are is logic..

fadetree
03-18-2014, 04:14 PM

I didn't say the are the same type of game. I said they fall under the same classification of MMO...which they do.

Vidar
03-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Diablo is absolutely not a MMO because it does not meet the first item. The world has to be persistent for the term MMO to apply. Even if it was persistent, only a small amount of users can be connected at one time.

Does the Sim's online have a persistent world that doesn't reset? Does it host a large amount of concurrent users? Then YES it is a MMO. You aren't understanding what the term means. MMO does not equal graphical online RPGs like EQ, it means a persistent world, with a large amount of concurrent users, period. The term came into use more recently than MUDs, which is why it applies to a larger cross section of games.

Now you are getting it. MMO doesn't apply to a specific genre of games. It's an umbrella term, that any genre can fall under if it follows the two rules I mentioned.

You have completely missed the point. MUDs and EQ arent the same type of game. a MUD is a MUD. Eq is a.....? MMO is the only term we have for the type of game EQ is. People incorrectly use the term to classify eq. If you ask anyone what type of game EQ or WoW is they will say MMO. Regardless of how it SHOULD be used it IS used to classify games. Therefore using MMO to refer to a MUD is not right. It may be correct but its not right. And i dont give a flying rats ass if you want to call a MUD an MMO as long as we have a different term for EQ UO WoW etc.

deezy
03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
And we havent even got into FPS and RTS games.The FPS series Planetside is also an MMO.

Fett
03-18-2014, 04:52 PM
You have completely missed the point. MUDs and EQ arent the same type of game. a MUD is a MUD. Eq is a.....? MMO is the only term we have for the type of game EQ is. People incorrectly use the term to classify eq. If you ask anyone what type of game EQ or WoW is they will say MMO. Regardless of how it SHOULD be used it IS used to classify games. Therefore using MMO to refer to a MUD is not right. It may be correct but its not right. And i dont give a flying rats ass if you want to call a MUD an MMO as long as we have a different term for EQ UO WoW etc.

You're looking at this the wrong way. Let's try another example.

Apples, oranges, and pears, are all fruits. Apples are not oranges, and oranges are not pears, and pears are not apples, but they are still all fruit.

EQ is a graphical RPG, MUDs are text RPGs. Planetside is a FPS. They are all still MMOs. MMO is not a specific genre. FPS is a genre. RPG is a genre.

Vidar
03-18-2014, 04:53 PM
You're looking at this the wrong way. Let's try another example.

Apples, oranges, and pears, are all fruits. Apples are not oranges, and oranges are not pears, and pears are not apples, but they are still all fruit.

EQ is a graphical RPG, MUDs are text RPGs. Planetside is a FPS. They are all still MMOs.

What part of 'People use the term MMO to classify games like EQ and WoW' did you not get?

fadetree
03-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Vidar, you are just wrong dude. MMO doesn't mean what you think it does.

From Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game ) :

Commercial MMORPGs gained acceptance in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The genre was pioneered by the GemStone series on GEnie, also created by Kesmai, and Neverwinter Nights, the first such game to include graphics, which debuted on AOL in 1991.

Note that the MMORPG term is a subclass of MMO, and it includes both graphical and non-graphical. MMO means :
Massively - lots of people
Multiplayer - multiple people in the same persistent world
Online - its an internet game.

Anything that has those attributes is an MMO. EQ is a Graphical MMO. Gemstone is a text MMO. They are both MMORPGs ( MMO Role Playing Games ). Counterstrike or whatever is a MMOFPS.

Incidentally, that entry is wrong about the first graphical, it was not Neverwinter Nights but Meridian 59.

I'm not going to post any more about it, though, so we'll just have to disagree I guess. It's not very important anyway.

Fett
03-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Incidentally, that entry is wrong about the first graphical, it was not Neverwinter Nights but Meridian 59.

Meridian 59 was the only early graphical MMORPG I never played, was the before The Realm? I remember playing the crap out of The Realm long before UO was around, I can't recall if it came out before or after Meridian 59 though.

Gaffin 7.0
03-18-2014, 07:32 PM
why is this a thread about if a game is a mmo ? lulz

Danth
03-18-2014, 07:52 PM

EDIT: The entry you quote probably refers to the Neverwinter Nights that was available over AOL circa 1991, not the later game of the same name. (End Edit)

If you don't restrict yourself to role-playing games, then you have graphical/realtime MMOG's from fall 1987 onwards with "Air Warrior" on GENIE. Yes, 1987, with an "8." Some players on P1999 weren't born yet.

Of course there are those genre-newbies who equate "MMOG" only to Ultima Online, Everquest, and their many derivatives. They're wrong of course, but nobody likes admitting they're wrong, especially not on the internet. I prefer a slightly different definition of Massively Multiplayer Online Game than offered above in that I expect such a game to host many people per server combined with a persistent world. As such I discount a game like Counterstrike (I rate that simply as a multiplayer game), although I can see why some folks might include it under a looser definition.

-------------------------

Thread changed its subject because that's what discussion does. Historic online games seems a more interesting subject than bonus experience anyway.

For what it's worth, Everquest isn't much more than a MUD with a graphics engine pasted on top.

Danth

veejur
03-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Um - thread hijack?

radditsu
03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DikuMUD

Eq done stole my mud.

Vidar
03-19-2014, 08:55 AM
#1 im not wrong. I know exactly what MMO means.
#2 I have said something in several posts and all of you have missed it. I cant make you open your eyes and read it correctly. You need to read and understand what IS being said and not what you THINK is being said.
#3 You guys should go to the Hell levels myth thread. You would all get along with the OP very well.

Red_Psyphon
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Vid don't be mad your text game is still generalized as an MMO because that's what is

deezy
03-19-2014, 01:23 PM
I know exactly what MMO means.
That's questionable.

fadetree
03-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Meridian 59 was the only early graphical MMORPG I never played, was the before The Realm? I remember playing the crap out of The Realm long before UO was around, I can't recall if it came out before or after Meridian 59 though.

I played Meridian, it was awful and more or less a slide show on my comp at the time. Believe it or not, its still up! http://www.meridian59.com/

Whether it predated the realm or not I really can't say, but I am pretty sure it predated NWN, and I did mean the AOL one.

EDIT: The entry you quote probably refers to the Neverwinter Nights that was available over AOL circa 1991, not the later game of the same name. (End Edit)

If you don't restrict yourself to role-playing games, then you have graphical/realtime MMOG's from fall 1987 onwards with "Air Warrior" on GENIE. Yes, 1987, with an "8." Some players on P1999 weren't born yet.

Danth

Heh yeah, I remember hearing about air warrior, although I never played it. The timelines I was referring to were specifically about RPG's tho.

AND HELLS YEAH WE NEED BONUS EXP

**EDIT***

Here is a really interesting presentation about the early history of MMO's :

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184184/Video_The_making_of_Meridian_59_the_very_first_3D_ MMORPG.php#.USTby6U4vm4

Vidar
03-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Vid don't be mad your text game is still generalized as an MMO because that's what is

Not mad. Just surprised about how blind people are.

Plus, i believe your last post was aimed at someone else. you need to reread this thread.

myriverse
03-19-2014, 05:18 PM
if you think about it... any game could be turned into text format no?

all games are is logic..
Not all games fit "multiuser" or "dungeon."