PDA

View Full Version : Twinks that won't group

HawkMasterson1999
03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Nothing wrong but being a twink but whats the deal with people who think they're too elite to group? I decked out my shaman with the double fungi setup and i know all the different ways to solo but Its still better exp to get in a group. I even group with gearless noobs. Stop being snobs people.

tristantio
03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
I love grouping on my 55 necro, but I would say only 1% of groups give better XP than soloing (especially if you factor in waiting for the party to get together, travel time and setting up camp etc.).

This is even more pronounced in the early levels with heavy twink gear (why party to split an even con XP 6 ways when a geared twink can solo nearly as fast with no downtime? The group definitely won't be killing 6 times as fast in most cases)

Groups are way more fun though!

Ganjar
03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
I am currently soloing lvl 29 Warrior , Gnome Warrior so of course i'm a lil bit better than the rest. Buy Yah.... I like grouping more i'd say for sure anytime.

Millburn
03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Nothing wrong but being a twink but whats the deal with people who think they're too elite to group? I decked out my shaman with the double fungi setup and i know all the different ways to solo but Its still better exp to get in a group. I even group with gearless noobs. Stop being snobs people.

Because I play my twinked out alts in-between dark souls 2 induced rage sperging and 1) Don't want to play for an extended period of time and 2) don't want to subject anybody to my post dark souls 2 cool off moments lol.

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:16 PM
^ I know how you feel

Fett
03-13-2014, 01:16 PM

I'd much rather group than solo. I was in Oasis the other day soloing crocs (I'm level 20) and a group tried to recruit me to do the orc highway. Half of the orcs are green to me now, so I didn't really think it was worth it for me, or for them, might as well continue soloing the crocs.

I just need to get out of Oasis at this point, anyone up for an Upper Guk group tonight? I've never done Guk before, and I've been recommended to go there next.

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:18 PM
my enchanter is 28, like to get 29 tonight.. if anyone wants to duo..

im pretty damn good at charming.. so maybe a cleric/enchanter/necro combo somewhere?

im down.

also 55mage lfg

Roth
03-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I used to think somewhat along these lines originally and I think many people do. Basically the train of thought I had(not necessarily saying you have this) is that people should do things for the good of the server and also play eq how it was meant to be played. This means exploring, crafting, grouping with others, just trying to "experience" the game. Helping others as much as possible.

However recently my train of thought has shifted a bit away from this altruistic line of thinking. Sometimes you just want to play a game how you feel like playing it. Maybe you want to twink out an alt and just go solo because you're in the mood to do that. Maybe you just don't feel like putting up with some ass's bs in a group youre in. Etc. I think eventually, especially as the server grows bigger, the game has to be allowed to stand on its own and just be played how people want to play it.

If someone feels like playing the game a certain way it's better to just accept that's what they want to do, and you have to play your own game the way you want to play it. I firmly believe everyone's actions can influence the environment around them. So you need to just play the game you feel like playing and not worry. Everyone is on project 1999 for a reason, it's better to just do what you're in the mood to do instead of trying to influence people around you too much. If you want to only group to 60 with your twink, it is completely viable to do so and there is nothing wrong with playing that way. Others will do the same and you will be able to enjoy the game.

HawkMasterson1999
03-13-2014, 01:48 PM
they can play their own way, I can accept that. But they're assholes.

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:49 PM
I used to think somewhat along these lines originally and I think many people do. Basically the train of thought I had(not necessarily saying you have this) is that people should do things for the good of the server and also play eq how it was meant to be played. This means exploring, crafting, grouping with others, just trying to "experience" the game. Helping others as much as possible.

However recently my train of thought has shifted a bit away from this altruistic line of thinking. Sometimes you just want to play a game how you feel like playing it. Maybe you want to twink out an alt and just go solo because you're in the mood to do that. Maybe you just don't feel like putting up with some ass's bs in a group youre in. Etc. I think eventually, especially as the server grows bigger, the game has to be allowed to stand on its own and just be played how people want to play it.

If someone feels like playing the game a certain way it's better to just accept that's what they want to do, and you have to play your own game the way you want to play it. I firmly believe everyone's actions can influence the environment around them. So you need to just play the game you feel like playing and not worry. Everyone is on project 1999 for a reason, it's better to just do what you're in the mood to do instead of trying to influence people around you too much. If you want to only group to 60 with your twink, it is completely viable to do so and there is nothing wrong with playing that way. Others will do the same and you will be able to enjoy the game.

I feel you there. I do enjoy soloing on my enc and the exp is much quicker 2 mobs at a time solo

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Rofl

Tecmos Deception
03-13-2014, 02:02 PM

They want to play their way, and you say that makes them assholes. But YOU want them to play YOUR way... what does that make you?

odiecat99
03-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Also a butthole eh

Reguiy
03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
I decked out my shaman with the double fungi setup and i know all the different ways to solo but Its still better exp to get in a group.

No...no it's not.

Benefits are much better exp, not worrying about some noob wiping you, and being able pay as little or as much attention as you please. For instance, if I were to watch a movie or go bang Christina Hendricks while in a group people would rage at me.

That being said I still group sometimes for the nostalgia and to be social when I feel like it.

lecompte
03-13-2014, 02:08 PM
I don't usually gear my alts very hard but I work my ass off in groups and I rage when everyone isn't doing the same. Often best for me to just solo or duo with like minded people.

I.E.
Group Comp is: SK tank, Enchanter (me!), cleric, druid, rogue, mage. The druid needs to get off his ass and pull so we can chain kill but they never do. The cleric is sitting there with full mana not nuking. Comes down to the enchanter (and his trusty pet) pulling until pet breaks in the middle of a pull and you know how that ends. No thanks, I'd rather be 80% afk, get a kill every 6 minutes and get 70% or more of the exp for 1/10th of the work/risk.

Lyrith
03-13-2014, 02:20 PM
I don't usually gear my alts very hard but I work my ass off in groups and I rage when everyone isn't doing the same. Often best for me to just solo or duo with like minded people.

I.E.
Group Comp is: SK tank, Enchanter (me!), cleric, druid, rogue, mage. The druid needs to get off his ass and pull so we can chain kill but they never do. The cleric is sitting there with full mana not nuking. Comes down to the enchanter (and his trusty pet) pulling until pet breaks in the middle of a pull and you know how that ends. No thanks, I'd rather be 80% afk, get a kill every 6 minutes and get 70% or more of the exp for 1/10th of the work/risk.

I have this same problem sometimes... When I am playing a character pre 20 I don't really care what happens and people goofing off and half ass playing. But when level 20+ hits, I get focused and want the people in my group focused as well. I'm not super OCD or anything, but I hate it when everyone afk's for 5-8 minutes here and there every hour or so. It just makes me want to afk to earn some of my time back or just go back to soloing again.

It all comes back to the same thing, a good group is a good and a bad one makes you want to do your own thing again. I never get mad though when I see people out soloing, twinked or in rags.

daasgoot
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Troll

Menaan
03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
My issue with twinks soloing is so often they choose to do it and take camps / xp away from legitimate non twinked groups. Between them and plvlers it is harder to get XP at times than it was in original EQ in 99 and that is ridiculous!

If you want to solo on your twink, fine, move along somewhere else where there aren't legitimate groups trying to solo on the same mobs. Or do you really think your twink 's exp (which in most cases is a 2nd character at the least) is more valuable than up to 6 other peoples first characters (or at least non twinked alts, but for me and my group of 4 other friends they are all our first characters)? If you do think that, then that is where you get the titles of "dick" and "asshole".

And a note to the plvlers because this has happened way to many times in the 20 levels I've gotten so far. If the zone is crowded, and an area is camped by a group, move somewhere else. So many times I've seen the plvlers just come in and start slaughtering everything in the area that the groups are camping / killing. It is quite annoying and makes the plvlers even bigger dicks / assholes than the soloing twinks.

Daldaen
03-13-2014, 03:56 PM

It's pretty rare that grouping beats soloing or duo/trioing for exp.

Also as others mentioned, soloing means:

I can AFK when I want. Meaning I can handle RL/Work issues as they arise without impeding anyone's EXP time
I don't have to worry about someone else being AFK impeding my EXP time
Often times the exp far exceeds that of full group - there definitely are exceptions
I keep all the loots
Your class doesn't duo or trio well with whatever I'm doing -- dear rogue twinks, just because you have an epic it doesn't mean you're extremely useful to my cleric/enchanter duo that is cycling pets. Until a pet can hold aggro over you, you would do nothing but slow down and disrupt my kill style in a dungeon.

Ajkuhuun
03-13-2014, 04:05 PM
I can AFK when I want. Meaning I can handle RL/Work issues as they arise without impeding anyone's EXP time

This ^^^

I know personally I get a lot of tells on my cleric twink for groups, truth is most of the time I need to be able to get up from the computer immediately if my son wakes up crying (I only play when he's napping or outright sleeping) and because of that I just don't group often. Thing is if you need a cleric you need heals, and I personally can't wait until the pull is over to get up and leave, if I'm soloing at least I just kill myself...and do, frequently!!

I guess what I'm saying is we aren't all assholes some of us just play under extremely tough circumstances.

Daldaen
03-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Gonna quote my post from a semi relevant thread a month back. Where I feel in a bit more articulate:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140095&highlight=Soloing+skill

Soloing generally speaking, is faster leveling.

For me personally, it means I don't have to deal with other people's AFKs / Lag / or sometimes just general stupidity! ALSO it means I can AFK whenever I want to and don't have to worry about people getting annoyed.

There are times I enjoy grouping, just like there are times I prefer to solo or just duo/trio.

It isn't a necessary skill by any means, you just see a lot of talk about it because that's the nature of the average player here:

Started EQ in 1999-2001. Likely in middle school-college range (12-20ish)
Add 10 years. These people are now mid 20s-30s. Have some combination of full time job, bills, wife, kids, etc.

Due to this many people do not have a life that can facilitate an 8 hour grind group. But they still love EQ and wish to play, so they ask ideas for soloing that they may not have done 10 years ago when doing this grind groups was no problem after school or inbetween classes.

There are definitely grind groups here and you can go 4-60 in groups exclusively. But there are definitely plenty of soloers here.

That isn't to say there aren't sucks out there with Fungi, Fungi Staff, Manastone and Donal's on their cleric twink who won't group with you. But a large number of people fall into the "I'm not in college anymore" category and soloing suits their lifestyle.

myriverse
03-13-2014, 04:14 PM
The world does not revolve around you. Stop thinking that just because someone doesn't want to group it's some kind of insult to you. It's got nothing to do with you.

Mind your own business.

These sorts of antisocial complaints are not constructive.

Clark
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM

You must not be soloing right then. Group xp isn't even close in comparison to a fungi twink soloing.

Skittlez
03-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I can get 3 levels solo before you level once in a group.

baalzy
03-13-2014, 05:53 PM
I can start xp'ing within 30 seconds of logging in when I solo.

I'd group more if that were the case, but instead its more like 30 minutes at the absolute best before the Xp starts and then it stops 20 minutes later and you're stuck waiting at least another 30 minutes.

Champion_Standing
03-13-2014, 06:00 PM
You don't want those guys in the group anyway, 100% of the time they will pull, regardless of class, and they will over pull and get everyone killed then rage disband.

fishingme
03-13-2014, 06:17 PM
a few reasons myself, but i do like grouping and i do it when im invited into a group or if i feel like starting one. I smoke cigarettes, i do not smoke in the house so i have to get up and go outside which 5 minute afk, I have a girlfriend who bugs me constantly, but I get fantastic sex, I've got an older dog that requires letting him out more often, Grouping with people tends to get me killed more than soloing, I have family that's consistently wanting my opinion or help with something, choose your pick, there's more but think i covered most of them. But hey, if i get invited to a group i love it and put in the effort to where i hope my afks arent too much trouble.

Roth
03-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Soloing is better exp generally, but I find grouping to be much more stress-free experience. When you solo you have to work a lot harder for your kills and to not die. When you're in a group your exp bar is basically going to move no matter what happens, while soloing you might waste a ton of time accomplishing nothing.

August
03-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Soloing is better exp generally, but I find grouping to be much more stress-free experience. When you solo you have to work a lot harder for your kills and to not die. When you're in a group your exp bar is basically going to move no matter what happens, while soloing you might waste a ton of time accomplishing nothing.

You must play a class that sits on his ass in camp. Grouping is way more work for any class that I play (monk, shaman, enchanter).

Roth
03-13-2014, 08:23 PM
You must play a class that sits on his ass in camp. Grouping is way more work for any class that I play (monk, shaman, enchanter).

I play a shaman and you misunderstood my post I suppose. A good way to put it is when you solo, it is much higher risk generally. If you miscalculate you die. You have to find a suitable spot and you have to go through whatever your solo method is perfectly every time. There's more to lose. When you group if you make minor mistakes, your group will not wipe. If you pull an extra add it will get picked up and mezzed and it will be fine. The only way to die when you group is to make extremely major mistakes. A full group wipe is rare.

If I want to hit whatever level on a given day easily, I will group. Because when I solo the exp isn't as guaranteed. Things can go wrong easier, even if when doing it well you will gain exp faster.

Bwils
03-13-2014, 11:58 PM
i play my twink when i only have less then an hour to play so i solo. People get more mad when you group with them then leave shortly. This thread should be in rant and flames

HeallunRumblebelly
03-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Exp calculations on p99 are fucking terrible btw, and it's pretty easy to test.

We had three iksar necros, all the same level, so equal penalties. PL from 31 to 32 took like maybe 30 minutes. Duo'd the next two from 31 to 32, took like 2 hours. Tried trio'ing them from 32 to 33 and got about 2 yellows in 3 hours before I just stopped. I imagine it only gets worse.

Test it yourself if you'd like. Groups are where exp goes to die on p99.

Wudan
03-14-2014, 06:15 AM
I have a 30sk twinked to the teeth a I have not been in a group yet...

Exp is super fast (even with penalty) and I also have not died since lvl 1!

I can go fd/afk whenever I need to, I dont have to worry about having to be on the ball every second I play. Thats the playstyle I like and others do too. Deal with it.

Bolix
03-14-2014, 08:00 AM
I think that soloing is faster xps for me (cleric non-twink). But you need to get a good soloing spot and have your technique down right. And soloing does allow you to AFK more to do real-life things.

Downsides are though:
1. Alot of time spent sitting down medding, which is really pretty boring.
2. Not very sociable, you can't talk to group mates.
3. Boring as you are doing the same thing to the same few mobs.
4. Can't go to interesting places or camp interesting things.
5. One dimensional.
6. Don't build up grouping skills (how do I interact with various other classes, what synergies can I develop, how do I work as part of a team).

If I have the time, I think it is better to group and I can understand the frustration of a non-twink having a hard time to get xp whenever the twinks are soloing all around them.
But ultimately its the choice of the player to group or solo